PDA

View Full Version : Frontroom at war (FAW I) - rules in progress

Orb
09-09-2006, 02:29
Something random I've just invented, hoping to become one hundredth of a pale reflection of the Mafia games.

The .Org is at war,

Two distinct sides, anarchists and pro-moderators have formed, but neither has the audacity to strike at day, and all are concealed from one another. They are attempting to claim nine fora for their own (the watchtower counts as two):

1 - The Backroom
2 - The Monastery
3- The Apothecary

4 - The Frontroom
5 - The Entrance Hall
6 - The Gamesroom

7 - The Arena
8 - The Sword Dojo
9 - The Modding Forums

Layout:

I aim to get 20+ people (even number, an odd one will result in one wild card player)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aim: to capture at least 8 of the fora, possibly 9, depending on conditions.

What you will know to begin with (informed by PM): what side you are on and if you have a special role. You do not know who else is on your side. The sniper knows who his librarian is, but the librarian does not begin knowing who his sniper is.

Positioning: 1st turn, plonk yourself in a forum. 2nd turn and after: move one forum horizontally or vertically (according to layout defined above). A decision is non-reversible or stay put. Post in this thread to say where you place, just like a vote in the mafia - in the following style Forum: Arena

Fighting resolved: the side with the most men (librarians count as 1/2, snipers as 0 when sniping, wild cards as 1-1/2) in a forum takes control of the forum. This has some benefits which will be revealed when a forum is captured. The side which has the least fora each night loses a man.

Roles:

Each side has one sniper, one librarian and a minimum of 8 citizens (equal numbers). If there are extra players then one lucky person gets to be a raving lunatic.

Grunt, the standard role, in combat they count as 1.

Sniper: this person may nominate one person by PM to me at the time of his movement - for the next round. If they begin the night in the same area as him, the target dies. They count as 1 person if not aiming for a specific target. They do not count as combatants if they are targeting a specific person.

Librarian: the librarian recognises as his own team members anyone on the same territory as him if his side wins. He counts as half a person towards any combat result.

Wild Card: This person gets a tough job. He needs to pick a side to fight on when he plays. If his side wins, he may pick off one of the enemy. If his side loses, he dies. He counts as +1-1/2 people for his side. If he remains neutral, he counts as 0 - and while he does not risk much with this version (only a sniper) he doesn't get closer to his goal: outlast half of the players..

A few other roles can be gained by forum conquest...

Acts of God: Someone inactive in-game may randomly get hit by buses, cars, lorries, rhinoceroi or other things, thus dying.

Whispers from the dead: tolerated...

I've probably confused everyone here - including myself, so moan/comment helpfully/sign up and I'll produce a decent rules copy tomorrow.

Silver Rusher
09-09-2006, 09:41
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet count me in! :2thumbsup:

UltraWar
09-09-2006, 10:50
I'll play

Ignoramus
09-09-2006, 11:19
This looks interesting; I'll join.

Csargo
09-10-2006, 00:19
I'm in.

King Henry V
09-16-2006, 22:27
Sign me up too.

Orb
09-16-2006, 22:57
5 so far, I reckon 15 more would make for an interesting game, though having 12 or 16 should be possible.

Sasaki, can you remove the 'rules in progress' bit from the title please?

Csargo
09-17-2006, 00:22
I don't think anyone else will join.

Orb
09-17-2006, 00:43
Well, I'll have to go and convert some more or create a smaller-scaled version.

Al Khalifah
09-25-2006, 15:18
I'll give it a go.

Orb
09-25-2006, 19:49
Six so far, twenty would be optimal.

Ten would be doable.

Zalmoxis
09-27-2006, 05:04
I'll try it.

Peasant Phill
09-28-2006, 12:08
Sign me up

Orb
09-28-2006, 16:40
Alright, 8. I just need two more to make this workable.

Caius
12-08-2006, 20:53
I know this game is dead, but try to reborn.
I will play if this game comes to life again

Joolz
01-20-2007, 08:39
Damn. Well if it does gets reborn, I'll join up too!

pevergreen
01-20-2007, 13:29
Oh Yeah! Im in for anything that Uber...and this looks ok as well :laugh2:

Motep
01-20-2007, 17:23
Please revive this! It looks kinda cool...

In case you misse that...I will join.

Orb
01-21-2007, 01:14
Thanks to popular requests, Frontroom at War shall be revived!

Rule adjustments (for smaller number of players):

The side with the least fora at the end of the round loses one man to be used next time (he still has to say where he is being placed, but doesn't count towards combat), until they win a round at which point he may have an effect again, this man is determined at random.

A sniper must reload after he attacks, this means that he doesn't count towards a combat the next turn either.

pevergreen
01-28-2007, 06:13
sorry, but im out.

Motep
01-29-2007, 14:57
Thanks to popular requests, Frontroom at War shall be revived!

Rule adjustments (for smaller number of players):

The side with the least fora at the end of the round loses one man to be used next time (he still has to say where he is being placed, but doesn't count towards combat), until they win a round at which point he may have an effect again, this man is determined at random.

A sniper must reload after he attacks, this means that he doesn't count towards a combat the next turn either.

...a belated hurray!....when does it start?