PDA

View Full Version : Peoples of God - total war

Orb
09-09-2006, 19:11
A mod focussing around the eastern world at the time of the crusades. I'm still debating the start time with myself (looks like a 1098/1099 start at the moment - to let people start out as a crusading horde-style army).

Dev Forum (http://z10.invisionfree.com/Peoples_of_God/index.php?act=idx) Being set up as we speak.

Factions:

Playable:

Catholic Christian:
The Kingdom of Jerusalem and County of Edessa (Catholic Christian)
The Principality of Antioch

Shi'a Islamic:
The Fatimid Caliphate
The Emirate of Tripoli
The Banu (Bedouin and Berbers)

Orthodox Christian:
The Byzantine Empire
The Kingdoms of Armenia
Makuria
Bulgaria

Sunni Islamic:
Great Seljuq
Iranian Emirate
Emirate of Aleppo
The Danishmends
The Burid Dynasty
The Atabeys of Mosul

Nizari:
The Hashishin

Non-Playable - The Timurids, The Ottomans (both emergent and Sunni)

Team Members:

Orb: coordinator, researcher, text editor, official mufti
Alias: 2d Artist
Leet Eriksson: Historian/researcher
Harmless: researcher/odd jobs

We need: anyone we can get our hands on

Previews so far:

Hashishin faction preview 1 (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1238286#post1238286)
Makuria and Nobatia faction preview 1 (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1244225#post1244225)
Principality of Antioch preview 1 (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=69010)

AliAS
09-10-2006, 08:43
HI ! If you want i like help you with your mod .
i like do on loading screens, faction icon. And other 2D
I cant skinning. :-(

here i "update" your hashashin icon.

https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3148/erbod4.jpg

Orb
09-10-2006, 10:57
That'd be great :balloon:

Welcome to the team! :thumbsup:

Makuria next, I'm deciding on a rough premise for the faction symbol...

AliAS
09-10-2006, 11:47
GREAT THX :2thumbsup:
So do you want i do Makuria Faction icon ?

Orb
09-10-2006, 11:54
Well, yes please!

Presently my thoughts are some form of pottery/urn on a background.

We need to decide

1) Which colour for Makuria (this will determine the background)
2) Which symbol in the foreground (I think a decorated urn or vase of some kind - Makuria was considered the pinnacle of African pottery)

AliAS
09-10-2006, 12:16
What about Black urn on yellow background ?

Orb
09-10-2006, 14:54
Yellow background sounds good as any.

The urn should probably be something similar/related to:

http://www.spicey.demon.co.uk/Nubianpage/Chr2pot.jpg

AliAS
09-10-2006, 17:49
OK I work on it.
Finished work i send you PM :idea2:

Orb
09-10-2006, 20:34
Cheers! :thumbsup:

Orb
09-16-2006, 19:39
OK, Makuria's up. There was quite a delay because of the difficulty researching it. Hopefully Antioch will prove less troublesome.

Harmless
09-17-2006, 12:55
Hi there. I would be happy to help out however I can, mostly with research and texting but also 2D and basic modeling. From what I understand there is some questions about how mod-able MTW2 is going to be though. Anyways, I can maybe start by doing a preview like those you have done. Cheers.

Orb
09-17-2006, 13:43
~:cheers:

Well, the next one I'm doing is the Principality of Antioch - so you can either help on that or have a go at some Turkish faction. Damascus or Chalep (Aleppo) is my next target.

Oh - and, general announcement:

The map will be going from the middle of Libya/edge of Greece to the eastern edge of Iran. I'm not sure whether to take it further south and include Alodia and Ethiopia yet. It looks like Bulgaria will be in, primarily to pressure the Byzantines.

Edit - Dev Forum set up, see top of first post. It ain't much at the moment, but one day...

Epistolary Richard
09-17-2006, 22:29
Don't forget to add the mod to the M2TW Mods in Development database (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=109).

Leet Eriksson
09-17-2006, 23:02
give me a few days to organise my stuff.

On another note, could you perhaps extend it to the african horn (with the entire arabian peninsula included, i can handle these aswell).

Orb
09-18-2006, 19:20
Extending it to the African horn seems a little unhelpful. I think going down to a unique rebel, rather than factional, southern Sudan is the best option, any further seems uneccessary and not very useful to the game as a whole. I think we'll end up with a one-province Bulgaria, which will be useful in curbing and varying a recurring Byzantine superpower.

The Makurians are definitely a flavour factor, and between them and the Berbers, that should make Egypt at least watch its back, preventing an Egyptian superpower becoming too common.

What we need to ask about each faction is:

What will it add to the map as a whole? I think all of the ones listed will add something. The berbers will be represented as the Banu Kanz, I think.

Will it have an interesting and unique campaign premise? I think all those listed will be quite unique in terms of the actual premise and result. Chalep and Damascus might be fairly similar, but we'll work on differentiating them.

Will it improve the campaign experience for other factions? I think that each of the listed ones will improve the campaign for at least one other faction. Overall, they should provide a number of different and entertaining campaigns.

-

As for the mod deposit, I want to basically confirm the confines of the mod first and then post there

-

Edit - L33t and Harmonious, could you register on the dev forum? (there is a link in post one)

Leet Eriksson
09-18-2006, 21:48
Ok registered, i'll be on the other forums.

Orb
09-18-2006, 22:50
OK, you've been added to the team member category, meaning you should be able to see a few extra subfora.

I'll be filling it up when I have the motivation and time.

Orb
09-21-2006, 11:41
Apologies, my home internet isn't working, so I'll be a bit inactive for a few days.

AliAS
09-25-2006, 14:29
lol and apologize me. My internet wasnt warking too. :dizzy2:

Orb
09-27-2006, 21:17
Oh, I added leet and harmless to the member list, and edited a couple of factions.

IrishArmenian
09-27-2006, 23:27
Do you need an Armenian Researcher?

Orb
09-28-2006, 20:35
Yep :balloon2:

UltraWar
09-30-2006, 20:32
I would like to help out anyway I can

Orb
09-30-2006, 21:04
We need everyone we can get.

Should I sign you up for 'odd jobs'?

Before the release of M2TW, everything will be either research or 2D art, basically, although I might do some traiting preparation.

IrishArmenian
10-04-2006, 02:16
Count me in then!
If this will be Cilician Armenia, I have the perfect Facshun flag/symbol.

IrishArmenian
10-05-2006, 15:39
By the way, do you have your own forum? I also have a friend who believes he will get addicted to forums, so he will not become a member, but he is eeger to join. I will post his work.

AliAS
10-05-2006, 19:39
See first post in this topic. There is link on dev forum ~;)

Orb
10-08-2006, 09:43
My internet was down for a couple of days.
Also, I really need to organise the forums...

Sun of Chersonesos
10-08-2006, 21:38
GUYS GUYS!

are you going to make the faction selection shields circle 2d or those shields faction selection in MTW2?

Orb
10-08-2006, 22:17
Definitely circles if it's possible

Those M2 shield symbols (the layout, not the symbols on them) really look utterly crap to me...

Also, they're way too Euro-centric for this mod, I'm fairly confident we can use these, but if someone could tell me the dimensions of one of those shields, I'd appreciate it.

Orb
10-16-2006, 23:21
I'm off for 10 days in Italy.

Poor me. ~:)

Hopefully, the Damascene preview will be posted on the day I get back.

Kolkhi-2
10-17-2006, 11:16
your forgot Kingdom of Georgia (and Kingdom of Armenia in Caucasus region dosn't was, becouse armenian land included Georgian kingdom since 1124 till 1466 )
http://www.nplg.gov.ge/ic/library_e/gabeskiria/
http://www.iaphs.org/articles/urushadze.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps_of_Georgia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_%28country%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Georgia_%28country%29
:

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9863/673pxgeordavidrf5.gif

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2950/geortamroht7.gif

Kavhan Isbul
10-19-2006, 19:49
Hi there,

I have a few questions. As a Bulgarian, I would love to see a mod that has Bulgaria in it, and I would be glad to be of any help, especially where research is involved. However, there was no independent Bulgarian country between roughly 1014 and 1187, and if the game starts in the 1060-s that presents a slight problem, does not it? My question is, what solution do you have in mind to make Bulgaria a playable faction, without a huge historical inaccuracy? Well, I know, part of the game is to actually change the course of history, but I believe this should be done by playing the game, and factions' starting positions should be left historically accurate. I was wondering, as there were a few major rebellions, in one of which even a new Bulgarian tzar was proclaimed, would it be possible to include the Bulgarians as a playable faction from the very start and give the player basicly control over the rebellion? Will it be possible for this Bulgarian faction to be in war with the Eastern Roman Empire from the very start? If this is indeed possible, I promise to do my best to gather information on a relevant rebellion, its leaders and the troops involved.
That being said, I think that the inclusion of a Bulgarian faction is well justified not only because more factions equals more fun, and as pressure for the Byzantines, but also as in realituy Bulgaria did play an important role during the Crusades, changed its religion to Catholic for a short period of time around the Fourth Crusade, then defeated the Latin Empire at Adrianopol almost immediately after its establishment (which did not destroy the fledgling Empire, but ultimately decided its fate), and went on to establish a short lived Empire on the Balkans in the first half ot the 13th century. I am writing all this to show that Bulgaria can be an interesting faction to play even for non-Bulgarians.
Of course, I would be more than happy to help with research on the Bulgarian faction, if such help is needed.

Muad'Dib
10-19-2006, 20:04
Have i mentioned that i live in Damascus? :)

Orb
10-28-2006, 19:42
My question is, what solution do you have in mind to make Bulgaria a playable faction, without a huge historical inaccuracy? I was wondering, as there were a few major rebellions, in one of which even a new Bulgarian tzar was proclaimed, would it be possible to include the Bulgarians as a playable faction from the very start and give the player basicly control over the rebellion? Will it be possible for this Bulgarian faction to be in war with the Eastern Roman Empire from the very start?

That being said, I think that the inclusion of a Bulgarian faction is well justified not only because more factions equals more fun, and as pressure for the Byzantines, but also as in realituy Bulgaria did play an important role during the Crusades, changed its religion to Catholic for a short period of time around the Fourth Crusade, then defeated the Latin Empire at Adrianopol almost immediately after its establishment (which did not destroy the fledgling Empire, but ultimately decided its fate), and went on to establish a short lived Empire on the Balkans in the first half ot the 13th century. I am writing all this to show that Bulgaria can be an interesting faction to play even for non-Bulgarians.
Of course, I would be more than happy to help with research on the Bulgarian faction, if such help is needed.

The mod will start in 1099, and also have 3 starting positions: 1099, 1220 and 1377.

Well, Bulgaria was constantly a problem for the Byzantines and only very recently crushed by Basil II, the faction will begin as a Byzantine protectorate, but may rebel frequently (it will have a bad relations modifier with the Byzantines). I would hate for those Greeks to suffer pressure and concerns only in the east, although a few events will help stir the west up.

Any research help would be great :thumbsup:

your forgot Kingdom of Georgia (and Kingdom of Armenia in Caucasus region dosn't was, becouse armenian land included Georgian kingdom since 1124 till 1466 )

I know, I should update the faction list more frequently :wall:
Thanks for the research :2thumbsup:

Kavhan Isbul
10-30-2006, 22:59
The mod will start in 1099, and also have 3 starting positions: 1099, 1220 and 1377.

Well, Bulgaria was constantly a problem for the Byzantines and only very recently crushed by Basil II, the faction will begin as a Byzantine protectorate, but may rebel frequently (it will have a bad relations modifier with the Byzantines). I would hate for those Greeks to suffer pressure and concerns only in the east, although a few events will help stir the west up.

Any research help would be great :thumbsup:

I have not played RTW, so here is a dumb question - are protectorates playable?
No 1099 was a year, in which no major rebeliion took part. However, earlier, around the 1080s there was a major rebellion lead by a certain Konstantin Bodin, a heir to the Serbian throne and a grandchild of Samuil, one of the last Bulgarian tzars. It was unsuccessful due to treachery, but Konstantin Bodin (who in the meantime was proclaiemd Tzar of Bulgaria under the name of Peter III) managed to excape after being captured by the Byzantines and later even ruled as king of Serbia. Whether, and how, this can be incorporated into the mod, I do not know.

If there is a 1220 starting position, it will coincide with the greatest period of the Second Bulgarian Empire, when the ruler was Ivan Assen II. He ascended to the throne in 1018 after a successful coup against his cousin Boril (Ivan Assen was the legitimate heir, but after Boril killed Kaloyan shortly after the great Bulgarian victory against the Latins at Adrianople, he usurped the throne). The title Ivan Assen II uses is Tzar of Bulgarians and Wallachians, meaning that if the map has Wallachia, it needs to be in Bulgaria at this point. The Bulgarian roster needs to include plenty of Cuman cavalry, especially horse archers, since there was still an alliance between the Bulgarian Tzars and the Western Cumans - the latter fleeing from the Mongols after the Khalka River battle.
The first 12 years of Ivan Assen's rule were quite peaceful - he married a Hungarian princess (thus receiving back the Belgrade provicne from the Hungarians) and allied himself with Theodoros Komnenus, the Despot of Epirus. Theodoros Komnenus was in the meantime successful in retaking Thessalonika from the Latins and in defeating Ian II Duca Vatazzi - the Emperor of Nicea and then capturing Adrianople. Ivan Assen allied himself also with the Serbs and the Latins. Fearing that the Bulgarians may take Constantinople through a dynastic marriage, and feeling over confident from his victories against the Latins and the Nicean Empire, Theodoros Komnenus breached the alliance and was soundly defeated in the battle of Klokotnitza in 1230, after which Bulgaria became the main power on the Balks for a few decades, with Epirus and Serbia vassal to Ivan Assen II. Not much is clear about the battle, apart from the fact that Theodors's army greatly outnumbered the surprised Bulgarians, who did not expect an invasion by an ally. His army included mercenaries from Italy, while the Bulgarian forces were supported by at least a 1000 Cumans. At the end of the battle almost the entire army of the Epirus Despot was captured, which probably means that the Bulgarians were able to somehow encircle their enemy.
This does not have much relevance to the mod, however, but for the purpose of starting positions, in 1220 Bulgaria needs to control also Wallachia and the area around Belgrade, its troops need to include a good amount of Cuman horse archers, and maybe even some Rus troops from Galicia (Ivan Assen II used them in overthrowing Boril), and Bulgaria needs to be allied to Hunagry and the Cumans (if these are on the map in some form, if not then disregard) and the Despoty of Epirus (although the latter should be coded to do a sneak attack if this is possible) and in peace with the Latins (even allied to them at one point, although not in 1220). Actually, in 1220 Bulgaria was officially Catholic - later Ivan Assen II restored the Orthodox Church and the Turnovo Patriarch (which did not stop him from executing the Patriarch when he did not agree to marry him for a fifth time), but in 1220 Bulgaria was Catholic and considered such by the Pope, Hungary and the Latins. The population was still Orthodox though, and Ivan Assen II was never a fanatic, allowing even the Bogomils to preach freely. No religious unrest is reported during his rule and generally throughout the history of the Second Bulgarian Empire. I guess this should mean that Bulgarian rulers do not get rebellions due to heresy, or at least have some bonus in this regard.
And finally, in 1337 Bulgaria was ruled by Ivan Alexander. Much of Walalchia was lost, except for the fortresses alone the Danube on the northern bank of the river - those remained under Bulagrian control until the Ottoman conquest. He ruled until 1371, and in 1332 he managed to defeat the Byzantines in the battle of Russocastro, and then took Eastern Thrace, including almost all fortresses along the Black Sea coast. After that the situation became quite complicated, with Bulgaria having to wage wars on almostt all fronts - against Hungary, the Byzantines, helped by Amadei of Savoy who radied the Black Sea coast as their ally (long and complicated story), the Ottomans and inner separatists. He was able to hold out and Bulagria survived, but this efat was impossible for his heirs. Playing with Bulgaria starting at 1337 should be extremely tough.
Let me know what further research do you need, and I will be glad to help.

beauchamp
11-19-2006, 18:32
Thanks God that someone focuses on the East! Finally, a good mod about something OTHER than Europe.
Shokran Jizilan and Good Luck on your mod!
(Ps. If u need anything translated into Arabic, just PM me).

Orb
05-18-2007, 21:40
I am, although it is a little late to say so, enormously sorry for bailing on this, and even more so for not even providing an apology to those who joined.

:shame:

If I get a computer that can handle Medieval II, I plan to resurrect this in the autumn or winter of this year.

Oh, and because it never went public, because I ran out of energy and didn't write up the preview, this is the very nice faction icon AliAS did for Damascus

https://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6610/damascusssr1.jpg

phoenix[illusion]
05-19-2007, 16:44
I don't understand this title of mod. Peoples of God??? You mean People of God. People is already in plural.

Orb
05-19-2007, 16:54
People is the plural of person.
Peoples is the plural of people.

E.G.

An Englishman is a person
The English are a people

Englishmen are people
The English and the French are peoples

Yeah, it's a bit odd, but it is correct.

nnnm
07-31-2007, 19:43
is thier any map yet guys???