PDA

View Full Version : Peoples of God faction preview: The Hashishin

Orb
09-09-2006, 19:15
Faction Preview:

The Hashashin

"And when he wished to kill someone, he would take him and say: 'Go and do this thing. I do this because I want to make you return to paradise'. And the assassins go and perform the deed willingly."
- Marco Polo - on his visit to Alamut in 1273

https://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3774/symbol128senatequ0.jpg

The Hashishin, an ordered rumoured to be much older, but only truly established in 1097 by Hassan i-Sabah. He secured the fortress of Alamut from its landowner by offering a thousand bezants for the area covered by a bull’s hide. He cut the hide into thin strips and spread them around the perimeter of the fort and, with Sabah’s popular support in the area, the landowner was forced to agree.

From that invincible fortress, he coerced or murdered his enemies: the Seljuq and Burid Sunnites and Egyptian shi’ites both. He controlled the ‘hashishin’ or ‘assassins’. These, uniquely trained and fanatically devoted murderers, used disguises and the dagger to kill their enemies.

Through this campaign of terror, he and his successors managed to take a fair part of Iran and also strengthen the Nizari faith significantly before their downfall at the hands of the Timurids. Can you do any better?

Estimated campaign difficulty: very hard

Starting faction leader: Hassan-i Sabbah

Unique Traits:

Sheikh al Jabal (Prince of the Mountain)
Marco Polo and the crusaders were all confused by the dual meaning of sheikh, the title of Hassan and his successors – it can mean Old Man or Prince. The Prince of the Mountain has even more influence and control than other faction leaders.

Faction leader trait, +2 Dread, +2 Authority/Influence, +1 Command, +2 Piety, +1 Acumen, +1 personal security, paves the way for other traits

Translation/title needed (Favoured of the Prince)

Hassan I-Sabah and his successors were not chosen by blood, but by the favour of the leader. As such, it was a greater boon to be set to inherit the title of Sheikh, because it showed not only trust in one’s abilities, but also some influence in the politics of Alamut. Being so favoured could cause jealousy among others…

Faction heir trait: +1 influence, +1 dread, +1 piety, -1 personal security, makes way for good traits and dread traits.

Translation/title needed (Once-favoured)

Falling from the favour of the Prince of the Mountain is not a healthy occupation. It shows the former favourite as a man distrusted, impious and also one most likely to be sent on missions with little chance of success…

Disinherited trait: -1 influence, -1 piety, -1 personal security, -1 morale, makes way for bad traits and chivalry traits.

Angel to Nizar

This man rescued the leader and founder of Nizarism from the vile clutches of Cairo. He is seen as a hero in the Iranian nizari world, and the masses acclaim him.

Mission-related: +1 influence, +5% conversion to Nizarism, +2 piety, +1 personal security, +1 morale to troops on battlefield. May not be acquired by a non-Nizari.

Unique Ancillaries:

Mowlana an-Nizar

The founder of the Nizari religion, Mowlana an-Nizar, was removed as Caliph of Cairo in favour of his younger brother, Ahmad al-Mustali by the Vizier al-Afdal Shahanshah. An-Nizar rebelled and was imprisoned, but now, Nizar has been freed by the Hashishin. He is an inspiration to troops and well-versed in Egyptian tactics, as well as a witness to the faith of the man who is attempting to reinstate him as Caliph.

Mission-related: +1 morale to troops on battlefield, +1 command when fighting Egyptians, +1 piety, a Christian, Shi’ite or Sunnite saddled with an-Nizar stands a high chance of converting to Nizarism.

Indoctrinated Hashishin

The Hashishin loyalty was even to death, in many circumstances, they being prepared to sacrifice their lives for that of their Sheikh.

+1 to valour of bodyguard, +1 to personal security.

Nizari Imam

The Hashishin Nizari faith is one of great secrecy and power, with knives and disguises, Hassan crippled the Sunnites of Iran. Well, who were the priests to complain… they might even help.

+1 piety, +1 LOS, 10% discount on agent training costs. Do not join non-Nizari characters.

Unique Building: Secret Garden (Alamut)

Hassan I-Sabah, according to Marco Polo, used a unique method of indoctrination; he would take potential candidates a few at a time and drug them, before taking them to the Secret Garden of Alamut. In here they would believe they were in paradise, before being brought cruelly back to reality and convinced that Hassan was an agent of God, and only his will would allow them back to paradise.

+2 valour to assassins trained in the province, beneficial traits granted to the governor of Alamut

Unique Building: Alamut water supply (Alamut)
Alamut was supplied by a unique water system, allowing it to hold out far longer than other fortresses of a similar spectacular size and also reduce the risk of plague and widespread famine. A man having spent a while in such conditions could also have excellent health.

+1 health to Alamut, increases chance of ‘healthy’ traits being acquired.

Unique mission: Rescue of an-Nizar

Starting message:
An-Nizar, imprisoned wrongly by his brother, the heretical Ahmad al-Musta’li is imprisoned in Cairo. He has managed to send a secret messenger to us, asking for release. He would be a valuable asset, as would the reputation of the rescuer. Do you accept the holy task of his release?

Player options: yes/no

If no, ‘It is a tragedy that even the most devout of Nizar’s followers are hypocrites, cowards in the extreme.’ (if I can easily trigger it, there may be a punitive trait)

If yes, ‘such glorious news is appreciated. You must send a true Nizari to invade and take Cairo and then tear down the gaol there, in that manner you will release an-Nizar. God go with you.’

Reward: Ancillary granted: Mowlana an-Nizar, potential trait granted: Angel to Nizar, 5 units granted: 1 x Mamluk faris, 2 x Egyptian heavy spearmen, 2 x Egyptian elite ships (names to be revised).

Faction Symbol: white dagger on black background

Sample/test:

Unique Units:

Hashishin

The hashishin, having been taken through the Secret Garden of Alamut, are truly formidable, not fearing death, often tortured to death rather than killing themselves. Their fanatical loyalty is an asset that makes them a useful delaying unit, or last stand force. While many act as Assassins, and, indeed are the root of the modern word, others fight on the battlefield using their favoured daggers.

Require building: Secret Garden, good attack, average defence, excellent morale, very hardy

Iranian Nizari Infantry

The Hashishin have a good supply of Iranian infantry, which, while undisciplined, are an unusual source of archers and spearmen in equal measure. The Nizari variety is somewhat sturdier, having a faith and cause to fight for.

Require buildings: spearmaker, bowmaker (names to be revised), average ranged attack, average melee attack, spears and bows.

Nizari Crossbowmen

The Nizaris, being sworn enemies of both the Sunnites and Shi’ites, were often forced to seek help in unusual places. Through alliances with either crusading power, they can secure units of these crossbowmen, which are ideal for defeating heavily armoured infantry or cavalry.

Requires alliance with Antioch or Edessa (or else to have wiped out those factions), requires building: bowmaker, powerful shot, slow reload, average defence, poor melee ability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Cackles* - hope you enjoyed the preview, I think you'll get something on Makuria next.

Edit - note, the somewhat dismal faction symbol is just me messing around with photoshop. I'm going to improve it/get someone who can use photoshop to do it when I have the opportunity.

AliAS
09-10-2006, 08:02
Wow great. It will be great play with hashashin.

Orb
09-10-2006, 10:49
Yep, my favourite predicted campaign premise.

One province, surrounded by enemies, unique religion (hopefully we can introduce additional religions, if not, they'll be stuck with shi'ism), good family members, skill 2 assassins from turn 1, with a potential of skill 3. Unusual unit sets, one demonically hard missions but with a very nice reward. They'll also have a couple of oddball missions with wierd rewards too.

monkian
09-13-2006, 21:21
Are they going to have a marijuana trade resource ?

Orb
09-14-2006, 11:45
That would promote drugs as positive...

Of course they will ;)

Samurai Waki
09-14-2006, 17:09
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently I know nothing about drugs. Is this good or bad? You decide.

Orb
09-14-2006, 18:38
Well, it'll be in as a resource, I think. And will give out some wierd traits.

Muad'Dib
10-12-2006, 19:43
I can't wait to play this. Clearly, you've researched the subject throughly.

Although, with all due respect, there are a couple of things that i would like to bring to your attention.

Firstly, i think it's Al-Nizar rather than An-Nizar. It could be that people think it's an N because when arabs say Al- followed by a name, they tend to stick them together. The L is muted and the N elongated.

Secondly, i noticed you have referred to them as Hashashin and Hashishin. The former would be the correct one. The singular being Hashash - One who smokes Hashish. Regularly. :)

DukeofSerbia
10-13-2006, 19:29
Are they going to have a marijuana trade resource ?

That's the good idea.:2thumbsup:

Muad'Dib
10-14-2006, 09:22
Actually, there are sources that say that the term is derived from Hassani'in because the name of their leader was Hassan.

Others say that it was Asasi'in. Asas can be used to describe 'the base of a structure' or 'the beginning or source of something'. Asasi'in could mean a lot of things. It could be 'those who were there in the beginning' or 'those who use or live by the old ways' or 'those who started (e.g, a trend)'.

To me, the English translation for it would be The Old School...:laugh4:

These theories are not nearly as cool as the other one though. :)

It is said that they also called them Hashashin, in a derrogatory way, (for arabs this term is a bit like the word junkie in English), because they were rumoured to smoke and drink and maybe use other drugs. Not in their missions though, but as part of an initiation ceremony or even an indoctrination period. Although, this contradicts the belief that they were all Muslim and were doing those killings in the knowledge that they were securing a place in Paradise.

Perhaps their enemies spread these rumours...?

Anyway, most accounts i've read say that their missions were usually suicidal. Which means that they were similar to present day Fedaeyin.

Naturally, European and Arab accounts are somewhat conflictive, so i don't think anyone knows what the deal with these people really was, other than, regardless of whether they were high, brainwashed, fervent believers or all of the above, they were very effective.

scourgeofrome
10-14-2006, 22:29
A faction based a group of Muslim Assasins? This mod looks like fun. :2thumbsup: