PDA

View Full Version : Peoples of God Faction Preview: The Kingdom of Makuria and Nobatia

Orb
09-16-2006, 19:28
Peoples of God: Total War

Faction Preview:

The Kingdom of Makuria and Nobatia

"By the inclination and will of God the creator of everything who has arranged disorder into order." - from a Makurian prayer
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1244225
Edit/Delete Message
https://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8679/makuria1kopiecw9.jpg

The Nubian Kingdoms, having been Christian for six centuries at least, have feuded and the Kingdom of Makuria has managed to incorporate its rival, Nobatia, and rise to the most powerful position in Sudan. They are strengthened greatly by their alliance with the Egyptians, even though the Fatimids somewhat culturally dominate them. They must regain their culture and spread their faith if they are to avoid eventual destruction by such superpowers as Egypt. Their present king, Basileos, is a man of which little is known, but his mettle shall be determined and that of his successors will decide the fate not only of Nubia, but also of Africa, and possibly even more.

Estimated campaign difficulty: very hard

Starting faction leader: Basileos I

Unique Traits:

Pawn of Egypt
The ties between Makuria and Egypt have been very strong, but maybe this man takes it too far. He wears Arabic clothing and probably has a second wife. This might be beneficial for the slave and ivory trades, but it raises serious questions about where his loyalties lie.

Diplomatically triggered trait (or building-related, if that isn’t possible), -2 Authority/Influence, -1 command vs. Egypt, +1 Acumen, -3 Loyalty, +10% trade income.

Devoted Potter
Although this trade is seen as something of a peasant or craftsman’s art, this man encourages it and practises regularly. He is a master of judging such works. Maybe such interest is that which makes a country the master of a trade. His collection of religious vases, whether intentional or not, make him seem somewhat pious.

Building-related trait: +1 chivalry, improved chance of getting Potter’s guild, +1 piety. Technically not unique, but Makurians have a much higher chance of acquiring it.

Scourge of the Berbers
The Berbers were a nuisance to Makuria, constant raiders, vicious and disrespectful. Until this man came along. The Berbers have been taught a lesson they won’t soon forget. This man has learnt lessons of scouting against such tribesmen, and the Berbers fear him.

Battle-related trait: +1 command, +1 command vs. Berbers, +1 LOS

Animist/Shamanist

In southern Nubia, not all are Christian. Some instead worship spirits and souls, acting in primitive ways and deliberately refusing to spread the word of Christ. Such actions won’t help them in the long term – but it is rumoured that such men can make formidable fighters.

Region-related trait: -2 piety, -25% spreading (Christian), -1 morale to troops, +2 personal valour.

Unique Ancillaries:

Khail IV of Alexandria

Michael – or Khail – IV, patriarch of Alexandria, is a man concerned about various peoples, and one much given to travelling. As well as having generosity and the usual authority of a patriarch, his knowledge of the world could prove useful to a friend.

Mission/building/time-related: +1 morale to troops on battlefield, +2 piety, +10% Christian conversion, +5% movement points, +1 influence

Ivory Trader

Ivory is a valuable resource, useful in artwork and an example of status, having a grip on the ivory trade is very economically beneficial, and having friends like this can give a man such a grip.

Region-related ancillary: +5% trade, -1 Personal Security, increased chance of gaining artwork ‘guild’.

Ethiopian Ambassador

The Makurians had constant relations with the emperors of Ethiopia and even convinced the Patriarch of Alexandria to ordain a new Abuna for Ethiopia. This Nubian maintains the links and has an advantage from it.

+5% trade, +1 Influence

Unique Building: Black Slave Trade (route)

Makuria was the prime supplier of black slaves to Egypt, taking slaves from the south and the west and supplying them to the Muslims. The business is lucrative, but hardly builds character among its partakers.

Increased trade, some interesting traits and ancillaries available

Unique Building: Cathedral of Dongola (Dongola)

The Nubians had a unique sense of architecture and art, and this cathedral combines such refined tastes with piety and religious dedication. The Abuna also has a level of political influence allowing them to smooth the running of Dongola.

+15 happiness, +5 law, increases chance of ‘religious’ traits being acquired and piety of priests created.

Unique mission: Ascendance of Christ

Starting message:
There has, for a long time, been pressure from the Islamic states against us. We can only gain a true degree of autonomy if you will rescue me, and this city of mine, from Egypt.

Yours truly, Khail IV, patriarch of Alexandria

Player options: yes/no

If no, ‘I fear, then, for our future as a church.’ (if I can easily trigger it, there may be a punitive trait)

If yes, ‘Your piety is noted, and .’

Reward: Ancillary granted: Khail IV of Alexandria, or another Patriarch, potential religious, military or diplomatic traits granted. Reduced chance of gaining Egyptian relations traits. Some unique buildings and ancillaries available.

Faction Symbol: Urn on yellow background.

https://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8679/makuria1kopiecw9.jpg

Unique Units:

Beja Mercenaries

The Beja, a group of nomadic raiders, are not above fighting both for and against Nubia. While they are ferocious and able, they are not made to stand in for long combats.

Require buildings: bowmaker, market, javelins, shields, good attack, but poor morale and defence

Shilluk Tribesmen

Southern Nubia may supply troops such as these, stubborn, if poorly armed tribesmen, whose ferocity is enough to drive better equipped enemies before them. They are both competent archers and reasonable combatants.

Only recruitable in southern Sudan: require building: bowmaker, bows, short spears, good attack and morale both at range and in combat but very weak to archery.

Sughdanese Arabized Infantry

The Nubians are not all so unequipped as the tribesmen in some of their areas. Those with closer ties to the Egyptians have even got access to maille and superior weapons. One of the favoured weapons is the glaive, useful for cutting up equally equipped enemies while presenting a strong front.

Required buildings: master spearmaker, master merchant, alliance to Egypt if possible, or only in certain regions otherwise. Good all-round, with armour-piercing attacks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoy this, sorry about the delay, but information is somewhat scarce on the faction. It looks like an interesting campaign premise. Presently I haven't decided how far south I want to go, so you may see Alodia in it.

Thanks to AliAS for the faction symbol.

next up: we'll have either Antioch or Egypt, I think.

Disclaimer: everything is both a) only a sample and b) WIP

Any suggestions?

AliAS
09-16-2006, 22:48
Ehm 1 question. Sword of god or Peoples of god ?? :juggle2:

Orb
09-16-2006, 22:58
Ach, sorry, Peoples of God is the actual title, on my draft versions for these Sword of God was used.

Peoples it is.

King Noob the Stupid
09-17-2006, 14:30
Nice, I hadn't ever heard of Makuria before reading this thread:idea2: