PDA

View Full Version : My PC sounds like its gona explode...ideas?

MiniKiller
09-17-2006, 20:12
for the past few days my pc has been getting louder and louder. now its loud all the time, it sounds like its running sumthing or working (like when it makes the noises on start up but eventually stops) but this sound never stops. i cant really explain it cept it sounds like its loading, running or trying to work but nothing is there.

tibilicus
09-17-2006, 20:20
My pc was loud since day one. Just my fans though. I hope:dizzy2:

Anyway have you tried openign the case and seeign what's going on inside? Also what sort of noise is it making? Creaking, whiring and so on.

Tib

Lemur
09-17-2006, 20:55
The number one source of noise in a PC is the fans. The odds are high that you're hearing a fan that has either ground down its bearings, or has come loose in its mounting.

I've got an 80mm outtake fan on the back of my PC that I've never been able to silence, and what's worse, it's nigh-impossible to remove. Sad lemur.

Xiahou
09-18-2006, 03:19
You'll really have to open it up to find out. My linux server's HD has been making a horrible whining noise for months- it's probably on it's way out, but then again it's been running like this for about a year and never failed a health test.... :shrug:

If it's a fan that's causing the noise it's much less a concern. For fan motors that are getting clogged up with dust or just wearing down, I've had great luck with this (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102643&cp=&origkw=lubricant&kw=lubricant&parentPage=search) lubricant that you can get for about $3 at Radioshack. Cooling fans have a small sticker that covers up an opening to the bearings- just peel it back and drop in a few healthy dollops of lube. Then spin the fan manually until it begins to loosen up- repeat this process several times if needed before replacing the sticker. I've "cured" fans that were noisy or even totally seized up this way and the lube usually lasts 6months or more before needing refreshed. :2thumbsup:

caravel
09-18-2006, 20:11
for the past few days my pc has been getting louder and louder. now its loud all the time, it sounds like its running sumthing or working (like when it makes the noises on start up but eventually stops) but this sound never stops. i cant really explain it cept it sounds like its loading, running or trying to work but nothing is there.

The sound you are referring to is the Hard Disk Drive. And the problem is often known as "thrashing". This is the sound you hear when the computer is booting up, or when you are opening a program or copying files. If the HDD is producing much more acoustic seek noise then it may be due to thrashing or that the drive is either old or faulty.

Try defragmenting the drive first, that may reduce some of the noise.

To do this first run a chkdsk for any bad sectors/clusters. If any of this are reported then it's not looking good. Then try the defrag.

More importantly if your hard disk drive continues thrashing for a long period after boot, the culprit could be spyware or other OS hogging programs you have installed that are loading at startup.

Mikeus Caesar
09-19-2006, 08:07
My PC is also suffering from noisyness. It's called old age wear and tear. Get used to.

Seriously though, for the 3-4 minutes after turning on, it sounds like a jet engine taking off. Once it gets going though, it's so quiet you don't notice it.

DukeofSerbia
09-19-2006, 17:40
Seriously though, for the 3-4 minutes after turning on, it sounds like a jet engine taking off. Once it gets going though, it's so quiet you don't notice it.

The same problem I have.

CAUSE: Dust, a lot of dust on CPU's fan or/and graphics card.:wall:

I didn't clean it from time I bought my PC (almost two years) and problem occured several monts ago (I will sell it anyway).

SOLUTION: Clean it if you know how or find somebody to do that.

Mikeus Caesar
09-19-2006, 17:50
SOLUTION: Clean it if you know how or find somebody to do that.

I just take off the case and go over everything with a hoover.

Geezer57
09-19-2006, 20:57
I just take off the case and go over everything with a hoover.
Curry, be very careful when you do that to not touch any static-sensitive components with the tip of your vacuum cleaner hose. The rapid airflow (in dry condtions) can often build up enough charge to zap electronics. I use the technique myself on occasion (when the dust-bunnies are really thick!), but prefer to use canned air to blow the stuff out.

hoom
09-20-2006, 11:20
Personally I find an occasional careful physical scraping off of dust can do wonders for fan noise (though my new PC has bigger slower & quieter fans so hopefully thats gonna be less of an issue)