PDA

View Full Version : The main thread - Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition

cegorach
09-17-2006, 21:47
THis thread will be used to discuss about the project in general.

More detailed threads will be started for certain topics.

Vladimir
09-19-2006, 02:11
So this has gone from M:TW to R:TW to M2:TW? Are you doing a mod for each or "upgrading" your rome mod to M2? If you aren't doing one for Rome I apologize; I seem to remember you saying that you were.

cegorach
09-19-2006, 08:22
RTW project was scrapped severla months ago - it wasn't worth doing that with the news about MTW2 and the new possibilities it adds - dismountable cavalry, revolvin ranks of musketeers and WARWAGONS especially :2thumbsup:

cegorach
09-20-2006, 22:33
The mod expands in several forums

at MedievalTW.com we have another sub-forum

http://www.medievaltw.com/forums/index.php?showforum=68

, more will come later...

SwordsMaster
09-22-2006, 11:35
Actually, the new pikemen formations are almost perfect fot the tercio. We'll just have to see how are the musketeers implemented...

cegorach
09-22-2006, 12:55
Hello Swordsmaster !

Revolving ranks - this is all I know - we will see about the rest...

DukeofSerbia
09-29-2006, 11:45
Hello cegorach.

Did you saw this on polish site? http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/pol_hussars.jpg

Hussars
The first Hussars are thought to have been Serbian nobles seeking refugee in Hungary. The tradition of hit and run tactics of the Hussars found a fertile home in Hungary where they become influenced by the Magyars and the Uyghur Turks. Very fast, these elite lancers are equipped with light mail or brigandine armor and armed with...

:help:?????????????:help:

cegorach
09-29-2006, 12:48
Nothing unusual really. A more advanced Balcan cavalry which later was known as Hussars, Rac or Stradiotti - all come from the same source really.

Do you need anything really specific ?

DukeofSerbia
09-29-2006, 19:37
Thanks for answer.

I know that Hungarians later called Serbs (us) as Rac but that was in offensive meaning. Rac came from Raška.

Does that mean Serbs have light cavalry (I found some texts about so called Gussars who were light cavalry:book:) which influenced on Polish warfare? Can you be more precisely?:help:

cegorach
09-29-2006, 21:02
No problem.

The light cavalry of this kind existed in the Balcans from at least the XIIth century ( BYzantine auxilia recruited from the local people).

It was rather obvious that the fashion will sppread after the empire was too weak to employ them. So many left and were hired by other states.

In addition the nomads like Vlachs, Cumans or Mongols as well as Ottoman Akinji who were using light cavalry were both a problem, an incentive and the recruitment base for this form of light recon cavalry.

The most important event was of course the fall of the Serbian Empire which triggered more massive wave of new 'recruits' hired later by the closest country - Hungary. There was also a similar cavalry type called Stradiotti coming from Albanians and Greeks and hired by the Venetians.
Probably several types of cavalry came from the same source - the Balkans in general, but to some degree influnced by Serbs - Albanian/Greek Stradiotti, Dalmatian Capoletti, Hungarian Huszárok, Wallachian and Moldavian Curteni and so on.

The name Rac was used more often in Poland and comes directly to describe Polish cavalry called Racowie which in the beginning was recruited for sure from Serbian refugees ( or at least Serbs were their leaders).
Many of them settled in Poland and Lithuania and the rising demand for light cavalry of this type exceptionally useful against all the enemies of the united state meant that gradually their numbers rose at the expense of heavier cavalry.

Later they gained armours becoming medium-light and finally after the complete removal of heavy lancers in Poland-Lithuanian state the famous Winged Hussars were born.
Hungary seen similar, almost identical changes and for sure it influenced similar reforms in Poland ( actually Hungarian prince Stephen Bathory after he was elected the king of the Commonwealth bgrought some of his Transylvanian army with him).
Venetian Stradiotti became even lighter and abandoned lances completely, but remained well known unitll early XVIIth century as Greeek/Albanian cavalry. Later light lancers were often called Bosniaks also coming form this country.

Combat use - first Venetians and Hungarians used this form of light lancer. Later (few years) also Poles did it with large contingent of Hussars having their important part in the victory at Orsha in 1514 or even earlier at Kleck in 1505.
At that time they supported heavy lancers - a sort of hammer for the anvil made by the lancers.

Hungarians were for sure the ones which started using armoured Hussars first - the wars with the Ottomans learnt them that, but they were the first ones to abandon it first in some part of the Hussars supporting heavier Hussars in commbat, later because of great disasters ( like the stupid war with Poland in 1657-58) had to abandon lances completely. Their Hussars became the famous light cavalry - initially working for the Hapsburg Austrians and during the Rakoczy uprising in 1701-11.

That should be rather enough.:book:

Ultras DVSC
09-29-2006, 23:52
I know that Hungarians later called Serbs (us) as Rac but that was in offensive meaning.
No offense, the name Rac bears a relation to the ethnical group itself. Otherwise personally according to my surname (Rácz) I'm a Serb too...

Anyway Cegorach's description is excellent, I'd like add to this name-issue.

Does that mean Serbs have light cavalry (I found some texts about so called Gussars who were light cavalry) which influenced on Polish warfare?
Well, we can say it does, but rather everything influences everything, in that time (mid 15th c.) there was an urgent need of reforming the slothful, heavily armoured feudal armies. The southern and eastern threats demanded units that were similar to the aggressors’ and were up to them. That meant light-armoured horse-archers, lancers.

In the history of Hungary the horsemen called hussars did not first appeared in the 15th. It merely happened that the word ‘hussar’ was firstly mentioned by King Matthias (1458-1490) in one of his letter to his father in law, the king of Naples in 1481: ‘equites levis armaturae, quos hussarones appellamus’ – light armoured horsemen that we call hussars. The assumption that in the Hungarian language the word ‘huszár’ originates from name ‘gusar’ meaning ‘horseraider’ of the from Turks flying Serb horsemen is definitely false because it’s quite inconceivable that King Matthias named his most honourable elite warriors after Serb raiders, moreover that noble families (written sources before the early 15th c.) would have adopted the name of horseraiders... According to newest researches there was a similar word in the Uyghur language meaning ‘ordinary soldier’.

Otherwise the hussars were not born in that time – they were just reborn. They used the same tactic (and formerly the same weaponry) as for example the conquering Magyars or other peoples. Their time has come again.

Anyway, Cegorach thanks for the link, if I have further questions, I’ll don’t hesitate to ask you. ;)

DukeofSerbia
09-30-2006, 19:32
Hvala cegorach and Ultras DVSC:2thumbsup:

I will read and study this at home and answer in following days.:book:

No offense, the name Rac bears a relation to the ethnical group itself. Otherwise personally according to my surname (Rácz)

Rac is also Rusin surname, Serbian and Hungarian.

I'm a Serb too...

Prove it.:book: ;)

Inal_the_Great
10-16-2006, 20:17
...other peoples. Their time has come again.

Does Hungarians have any connection with the Huns?

Always wondered that..:inquisitive:

and one more thing

Hussar Huns... well nevermind about the second question just my wild theories:idea2: I guess.... :juggle2: :laugh4:

cegorach
10-18-2006, 18:54
THey in fact ARE Huns - the tribes which didn't go with the rest as it is claimed.:book:

Sundjata Keita
10-20-2006, 12:25
Hey, great to see this mod back in development! It will be so much better on MTW2 than it could have been on RTW. Good luck with it guys! :2thumbsup:

Regards,

Sundjata

EDIT: Woo, 500th post

King of Atlantis
10-28-2006, 21:42
- split protestant german states into Saxony, Brandenburg and something else,

If the start date is 1572, then the strongest protestant force in germany, with perhaps the exception of Saxony, is the Count Palatinate of the Rhine. The Rhinesh Palitinate was certainly stronger than Brandenburg, which was very much backwoods at the time.

cegorach
10-29-2006, 10:01
I agree, but it is hard to find anything unique for this army in the period of time.:book:

Watchman
10-30-2006, 00:47
THey in fact ARE Huns - the tribes which didn't go with the rest as it is claimed.:book:Make that Hungarian-Magyars. An eclectic mix of Fenno-Ugric-Turkic-Khazar (speaking a clearly Fenno-Ugric language with a whole lot of Turkic and Khazar influences) steppe nomads who were driven from the South Russian steppe by the... whatchamacallit... well, those guys whose most commonly used names in various languages mean roughly "steppe dweller", anyway... around early 10th century AD. The Magyars arrived to find the Great Hungarian plain a sparsely inhabited and contested borderland between some three nearby minor principalities, and as a fully developed steppe army had little trouble setting up shop and creating themselves some "elbow room" by enacting a sort of "scorched earth" policy to lands in the immediate vicinity of their new holdings.

I've read the typical pattern of intra-nomad conquest was for the main body of the defeated tribes to submit to and meld into the victor without further ado, while the defeated ruling military elite fled. Something of the sort probably happened to the Hungarians too, as apparently early on the primary goal of their raids was abducting women. Anyway, they went on to both provide mercenary service to whoever could pay enough and raid deep into Europe, for their part contributing to the emergence of the characteristic European pattern of fortress-saturated feudalism. The Great Hungarian Plain can't support much in the way of proper pastoralism so they duly had to settle down - pretty much certainly as a ruling warrior class over the heads of whatever peasantry already existed in the area and could be enticed and/or bullied to moving there - and some major defeats such as River Lech further convinced them to calm down and start to behave. They converted to Christianity sometime in the early 11th century, although that didn't keep them from annihilating one of the main colums of the Peasants' Crusade when it wouldn't stop lynching Jews, looting towns and generally causing distruption the Hungarian elite newly taken to the idea of feudalism frowned upon.

The Huns were pretty much goners after Attila - his sons tore the empire apart in succession dispute, the usual story. Some remnants claiming - probably justifiably - descent from the same dynasty that produced Attila hung around the western and northern coastline of Black Sea for a few more centuries, but they were but minor steppe princedoms and of rather little importance compared to successive nomadic powers like the Bulgars, Avars (who probably unintentionally spawned the Slavs), Khazars and Hungarian-Magyars. Those away from the steppe doubtless settled down as farmers and most were likely eventually absorbed, like pretty much everyone else in the area, into the rapidly spreading rather loose Slav canfederation, which took over much of what had once been Hunnish territory AFAIK. Not that the Huns proper had been a particular majority even in the empire that bore their name, since it naturally contained the usual gaggle of conquered peoples (presumably mostly assorted German- and Iranian-speakers), tributary, subject and allied peoples, Roman leftovers, opportunistic adventurers and all the other usual odds and ends early Migrations era powers now tended to include.

cegorach
10-31-2006, 09:48
Thank you, but it is all irrelevant to the way the Hungarians will be represented in the mod - after all in 1572 it was all ancient past.:book:

Watchman
11-01-2006, 11:43
Wasn't half the place Habsburg estates and the other half Ottoman frontier by that date ?

cegorach
11-02-2006, 13:36
Royal Hungary were autonomous part of Hapsburg domain, most of the rest was occupied by the Ottomans, true - yet there was the Duchy of Transylvania with much greater level of autonomy often bordering independence.

For the last reason they will appear in the mod - I made extensive research regarding their military and political situation which results justify including them as a seperate faction.:book:

Watchman
11-02-2006, 14:31
Wasn't Transylvania (as well as a few odd other princedoms around there) for all intents and purposes independent entities for most of the Middle Ages and the Early Modern period ? You see references to them as independent actors in quite a few writings on the Ottoman-everyone conflicts in the region...

But then, feudal barons were often beholden to their nominal superiors in pure theory only and the Balkans-Central Europe region doesn't appear to have ever been very conductive to close control from power centers outside it. Probably all those mountains that did it. Nobody was ever too good at ruling the high ground.

cegorach
11-06-2006, 14:13
It was de facto the last part of independent or semi-independent Hungary with noticable changes in warfare, reforms in all areas etc.
The worse times approached after the lost war against Poland in 1657 and later Ottoman punitive expedition.

About the Balcans - sure Moldavia, Wallachia, Ragusa and Montenegro also managed to retain some level of autonomy either because were too much concerned with other affairs ( Ragusa), too small to occupy (Montenegro) or managed to shift its policy from pro-Ottoman to pro-Hapsburg or pro-Polish it all worked for all this time period or at least for some time...

Anyway the Balcans are quite interesting at that time and one Balcan state will appear, unfortuanatelly it is much more complex than with the MTW1 edition where I could place them all.
Maybe later alternative patched addons will be made with factions such as Ragusa - MTW2 makes it more interesting to play after all.:book:

DukeofSerbia
11-06-2006, 21:10
too small to occupy (Montenegro)

Or too much difficult...:laugh4:

cegorach
11-06-2006, 22:02
Both - 'where the small army prospers, the large one starves' :laugh4:

King of Atlantis
11-09-2006, 03:06
I agree, but it is hard to find anything unique for this army in the period of time.:book:

Definatly, but really I dont think there was much difference between various German armies of the time period. I know to some players that might be dissapointing, but the prospect of playing as various German-States surely has apeal to many people.

Antagonist
11-10-2006, 20:18
I was going to ask you the familiar question to all M2TW projects recently: "What will you do with the factions with 30 slots?" But then I checked the main thread and remembered that you had already anticipated that development. :book:

Instead I have a faction-related question. Maybe it's a bit premature before unit lists etc. have been drawn up, but I'll ask anyway:

I know there were more then 30 factions in P&MTW and that some will have to be cut, but there were a few small factions that didn't make the cut which I enjoyed a lot, like Switzerland, Ireland, and the Cossacks, mostly because of their unique units. Is it possible that even if the faction itself is not, that some of th unique units of small factions will be in P&M2, as "rebels" mercs or "AOR" units?

Thanks,

Antagonist

cegorach
11-11-2006, 08:39
Yes, that is the general idea.

I intentionally have chosen 1570 for the beginning of the campaign which allows more reasonable choice ( Switzerland was pretty inactive since the early XVIth century).

It is very good that Epistoliary Richard found the limit is 30 faction slots, 21 was somehow too strict in my opinion.

Anyway unique units will appear in certain regions - Cossacks, Swiss, Czech even Bulgarian or Slavonian and will be available on certain conditions.

I am going to use all hardcoded limits - we will see how many models are possible to us - that limits us more than the number of skins/generally units.:book:

Antagonist
11-17-2006, 00:02
I intentionally have chosen 1570 for the beginning of the campaign which allows more reasonable choice ( Switzerland was pretty inactive since the early XVIth century).

Fair enough (I just like the Swiss and their pikes for some reason, I suppose their hour had passed by 1570) I'll miss them along with the Cossacks and Irish (I'd have loved to see the Nine Year's War, as it's called in Britain anyway, the new terrain system would be great for forest ambush battlemaps) but oh well, got to make the cuts somewhere. :book:

How are you going to handle the New World and colonial powers etc?

Antagonist

slav frunze
11-17-2006, 06:26
Hi Cegorach and co.

I'm a huge fan of your work and also very interested in this time period, especially Eastern Europe. I'm part Russian and have been doing some translation work for the OiM team, but their forums are currently down so I have no contact with them anymore.

My question is about the Ukrainian cossacks (its a shame they aren't included, but I understand that other factions deserve to be in more than them;)). I read that they will be represented as AOR units. My question is are only Poland-Lithuania and Russia going to be able to recruit them, or anyone who holds the region?

Thanks very much and can't wait for the mod:)

cegorach
11-17-2006, 08:38
OiM forum is quite active, though currently there is less spectacular progress - orders, other sounds etc.

I am a member of the OiM team, so I know what I am saying.

Cossack case - I had a big problem with them, but I decided to make them mercenary/regional units for NOW.
IN 1570 they were still on the margin of the Commonwealth with amore autonomy than Don Cossacks, but too few to make them independent.

The fact decided why they are not a faction.

They will be available to Poland, to Russia after some sort of event or a structure is build either in Russia or in Poland - e.g. the stronger colonisation of Ukraine triggered first rebellions - also to the Ottomans (protectorate-like structure) and as mercenaries to the Balcan states andother factions too.

I think the idea of 'faction patches' will be pretty good to allow more choice e.g. Cossack faction patch, Ragusa faction patch, Montenegrin, Irish etc, but this is for the future. I think the faction patch will generally use Circassian entry since it was rather isolated country.

The faction patches will also change the timeframe slightly e.g. Irish one will start during either the Desmonds rebellion or the Grand rebellion of Tyrone.

The idea is to make the bulk of the factions for now.

cegorach
11-17-2006, 12:18
This is how generally the map should be looking in the mod.

NOTE the number of provinces will be much smaller, but the map gives you some idea how large is 'the world' of the mod.

https://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1631/mapaprzykladowapd8.png (https://imageshack.us)

Antagonist
11-17-2006, 12:55
Thank you very much, I really like the map. I take it the blank areas are uninhabitable?

I'm glad to hear about the possibility of more factions in the future also.

Good luck,

Antagonist

Beefeater
11-17-2006, 15:05
That looks awfully like the EU (EU2, EU3...) map. This is a Good Thing.

slav frunze
11-18-2006, 02:06
Wow very nice map Cegorach.
I take it that colonisation will be a large part of the game, which is great!
Looks like Russia, the Ottomans and Spain and Britain will have the potential to recreate their enormous empires - very nice map.

Question though, will all of it be "uncovered" from the start, or will it be trigered at a certain turn like the Americas in M2:TW?

Also, how do you plan to simulate the establishment of colonial settlements? The current system of taking over cities doesn't seem to quite fit. Perhaps have a script that converts the settlement's culture and gives a large population boost when a "colonial" faction takes over a certain region.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very excited about this mod - can't wait:D

DukeofSerbia
11-18-2006, 20:04
cegorach

5. Hugenots

Check spell… Huguenots.

7. The Netherlands

United Provinces is historical accurate. The Netherlands is from 1815. :book:

8. Hapburg HRE

Check spell… Habsburg. And it’s better Habsburgs than Habsburg HRE.

10. Danemark

Check spell… Denmark.

18. Uzbek Khorde

Check spell… Horde.

19. Persia

I like this. Safavid Persia! If you need some info, say as I moded Europa Universalis 2 (especially them, they were my favorite faction).

20. Mughal Empire

Another excellent choice.

25. Songhai Empire

They were irrelevant in 1570 and soon fall under Morocco (1591). :book:
Better to include Savoy.:2thumbsup: They can be great buffer between Austria and France.
Or if you want faction in Africa then Kingdom of Sennar.

I also have info about Balkan (Montenegro, Serbia, Military Frontier). And because I moded Europa Universalis I have many data about this period.
Plus I have excellent book “Rise of Europe 1450-1789” by Dragoljub Živojinović, Službeni list, Belgrade, 2003. Dragoljub Živojinović is the best Serbian historian of pre-modern and modern era. Book has 492 pages and covers everything in three parts. For Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition most important is Second part (1598-1713):
I. Economy and society
II. Religious life
III. Military and war
IV. Rebellions and uprisings
V. Theory and politics
VI. Science and art
VII. Thirty’s Year War
VIII. France
IX. England
X. Spain
XI. The Netherlands
XII. Northern Europe
XIII. Russia and Ottoman Empire

About map – you know that 200 provinces is limit. Map is brilliant in Europa Universalis style.:2thumbsup:

DukeofSerbia
11-20-2006, 19:39
descr_events.txt
Events can now be included in both this file and the campaign script file – with a new event that allows us to trigger a script off an event happen and increment other events at the same time. A lot of the stuff in there for M2 should be very useful for us in adding new campaign dynamics and storylines and I can tell you as a scripter that I am very excited by it all!

Because Epistolary Richard confirmed that events will be very modable I wrote largest disasters in Europe between 1570 and 1700. That would add diversity to mod.

Great epidemic happened in Italy in 1574-5.
Large starvation happened in Italy, Spain and southern France in 1590-1.
Great epidemic and starvation happened in Spain in 1597-1602.
Great epidemic happened in Switzerland 1610 and 1615, Germany 1623-4, Netherlands 1634-5 and northern Italy in 1630 and 1656-7.
Great bubonic plague happened in Ottoman Empire in 1661 and spread into whole Europe: Netherlands 1663-4, London 1665 and Austria 1668.
Great plague happened in Bohemia, Austria and Hungary in 1680 (30 000 inhabitants of Prague died).
Great fires happened in Magdeburg 1631, London 1666 and Palatinate 1688.

Largest cities in Europe

In the beginning of XVI century 5 cities have more than 100 000 inhabitants: Istanbul, Milan, Naples, Paris and Venice.

In the end of XVI century some of those cities doubled their number of inhabitants and another eight cities reached 100 000 inhabitants: Antwerp, Lisbon, London, Marseille, Messina, Moscow, Palermo, Rome and Seville.

Religions:

Roman Catholic
Protestant
Orthodox
Sunni
Shiite
Pagan
Hindu
Judaism

Around 1600 is counted that in Europe lived 42 millions of Roman Catholics, 28 millions Protestants and 28 millions Orthodox Christians (including Russia and Ottoman Empire).

cegorach
11-21-2006, 12:47
[QUOTE]Question though, will all of it be "uncovered" from the start, or will it be trigered at a certain turn like the Americas in M2:TW?

Most likely all territories will be uncovered from the beginning - of course to the usual level in MTW2, so no events triggering some changes of this kind.

Also, how do you plan to simulate the establishment of colonial settlements? The current system of taking over cities doesn't seem to quite fit. Perhaps have a script that converts the settlement's culture and gives a large population boost when a "colonial" faction takes over a certain region.

I am sure we will dsign something special.:book:

cegorach
11-21-2006, 13:03
cegorach

Check spell… Huguenots.

True

I know, the names of the factions might even appear in original languages, so Rzeczpospolita Obojga Narodów for Poland-Lithuania and so on. Faction symbol and description will do the introduction.

Check spell… Habsburg. And it’s better Habsburgs than Habsburg HRE.

No the right spelling in English is Hapsburg. I have the same trougle since in Polish it is Habsburg, but it might be changed even more since the names are still to be changed as I hae mentioned above.

Check spell… Denmark.

True, for some reason I made the error only in the ORG...

Check spell… Horde.

Khorde is more 'easternised', but it will be changed anyway.

I like this. Safavid Persia! If you need some info, say as I moded Europa Universalis 2 (especially them, they were my favorite faction).

Good. I really need more data. I have very good unit roster ready ( PMTW1), but more information about internal situation is required.

They were irrelevant in 1570 and soon fall under Morocco (1591). :book:
Better to include Savoy.:2thumbsup: They can be great buffer between Austria and France.
Or if you want faction in Africa then Kingdom of Sennar.

Perhaps I will, but Songhai has well researched military roster so I will need something equal to consider changin the faction into Sennar. Savoy is not interesting enough. I will rather allow the Spanish and French to fight in Italy...

I also have info about Balkan (Montenegro, Serbia, Military Frontier). And because I moded Europa Universalis I have many data about this period.

Very good - You could start with military units of the region, BUT please wait for couple of days I will post my ideas ( made some research earlier) before.

About map – you know that 200 provinces is limit. Map is brilliant in Europa Universalis style.:2thumbsup:

Of course - the map I posted is to show the size of the map rather than any provinces - it is impossible to have so detailed map as in EU2.

[QUOTE]
GENERALLY

Your help will be very valuable since you have modded EU and that requires some real effort.

However for now please avoid posting data about military - I really have some extensive knowledge (in most cases) and it is better to add notes to my rostrs than to post something I already know. I have pretty good knowledge about all the factions which are on the list.:book:

Regards Cegorach

DukeofSerbia
11-21-2006, 20:33
cegorach

You can send me PM now. I erased several messages. :2thumbsup:

I don't have much about units. Only general things about military from that period how much have somebody, when reformations occured and similar. OK. Don't worry.:2thumbsup:

About Balkan until next week. My computer goes into upgrade for some day.:2thumbsup:

Stig
11-22-2006, 11:13
United Provinces is historical accurate. The Netherlands is from 1815.
eh eh, the historical name is:
The Republic of Seven United Netherlands (De Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden)

we Dutch abriviate that to: The Republic

Darkarbiter
11-23-2006, 08:40
Because Epistolary Richard confirmed that events will be very modable I wrote largest disasters in Europe between 1570 and 1700. That would add diversity to mod.

Great epidemic happened in Italy in 1574-5.
Large starvation happened in Italy, Spain and southern France in 1590-1.
Great epidemic and starvation happened in Spain in 1597-1602.
Great epidemic happened in Switzerland 1610 and 1615, Germany 1623-4, Netherlands 1634-5 and northern Italy in 1630 and 1656-7.
Great bubonic plague happened in Ottoman Empire in 1661 and spread into whole Europe: Netherlands 1663-4, London 1665 and Austria 1668.
Great plague happened in Bohemia, Austria and Hungary in 1680 (30 000 inhabitants of Prague died).
Great fires happened in Magdeburg 1631, London 1666 and Palatinate 1688.

Largest cities in Europe

In the beginning of XVI century 5 cities have more than 100 000 inhabitants: Istanbul, Milan, Naples, Paris and Venice.

In the end of XVI century some of those cities doubled their number of inhabitants and another eight cities reached 100 000 inhabitants: Antwerp, Lisbon, London, Marseille, Messina, Moscow, Palermo, Rome and Seville.

Religions:

Roman Catholic
Protestant
Orthodox
Sunni
Shiite
Pagan
Hindu
Judaism

Around 1600 is counted that in Europe lived 42 millions of Roman Catholics, 28 millions Protestants and 28 millions Orthodox Christians (including Russia and Ottoman Empire).
Defenitly looking forward to this mod. Im a big fan of cossacks and this particuler era. Most important of all though... This mod looks different yet fun
looking good!
However one thing though. That map looks a little bit over the province limit to me... Is there a map that is going to be used ingame thats out yet?

cegorach
11-23-2006, 10:49
Do not worry about the province limit - the map I have shown is just the beginning - a good start.
The number will be as large as MTW2 engine allows - 199 or 200 if I am correct.:book:

I would better edit the post with the map...

Darkarbiter
11-23-2006, 11:24
Just out of interest what help is needed? I am a member of another modding team but there isnt allways work to be done and ive got lots of spare time usually. I am knowledgable of RTW modding to a certain extent (I at least know most of the time what can and cant be done). I also have some experience doing balancing. While im also learning traits and scripting atm. Anything i could help with? No gaurentess that it wont turn out that im too busy (I doubt it though really).

cegorach
11-23-2006, 11:31
I will start the recruitment in the next week. My PC needs an upgrade and MTW2 is out in a week in Poland anyway...

Generally as with any other TW games we will need some more time to learn what the engine really allows, so first 4-5 months will be rather boring and slow.

Currently it is more about non-military research ( I and the many supporters of PMTW1 have done most of military one anyway) than anything else.

That is why so many faction threads have been opened.

This is a massive project so will take some time and huge effort too if you are learning now, good your help will be useful when you will be ready.:2thumbsup:

Darkarbiter
11-23-2006, 12:07
Ok well id prefer to be doing anything else besides research+im not very knowledgable on the era apart from reading stuff from cossacks and seeing that english civil war movie. I do infact believe that someone released an unofficial unpacker allready. Although it only unpacks some things.

slav frunze
11-29-2006, 07:46
Cegorach, do you plan to alter the architecture and settlement plans?

It would be nice to make the main cities of the time unique looking too, eg Constantinople, Paris, Moscow...

The_Doctor
12-14-2006, 18:45
What are you going to do with pikemen in the mod?

I ask because the pikemen don't really like their pikes M2TW...

Also from another thread that I started:

I have a feeling these are not possible, but it would good if they did work.

New towns and provinces:
The idea is best explained with an example. In a mod that contains the New World, you have the province of New England and it's settlement is Boston. When Boston gets to a certain population you can "build" a building called "further colonisation" or "found new town" or what ever you want to call it. When this building is complete, The province of New England splits into Massachusetts Bay and New Hampshire. Boston is the settlement in Massachusetts and Portsmouth is the settlement in of New Hampshire. This would represent the population of the area becoming more dense and the province becoming wealthier and more powerful.

New trade goods:
I will use another example for this. A province has land that is good for tobacco, this allows you to build a tobacco plantation, when this built tobacco starts being traded with other provinces. Then you can then build a cigar maker, when this is built cigars become a trade good.

What do you think of those ideas?

DukeofSerbia
12-19-2006, 10:33
When official recruitment will start?
It is clear know that full modification of MII TW would be possible.

Anyway, I nominated you cegorach and P&M TW 1.5 in HoF2006.:2thumbsup: :balloon2:

cegorach
12-19-2006, 10:42
I will start it in January after the holiday break. Of course there will be a new thread for that, stivked of course.

Thanks for the nemination Duke :2thumbsup:

@The Doctor

Good ideas, but the splitting unlikely to be possible in my opinion - it requires changable map and that is not possible, but perhaps we can make it work in some way - similar, but not the same...

Second one - clearly very good idea - probably much easier to add and hopefully working too.

DukeofSerbia
12-19-2006, 18:43
I will start it in January after the holiday break. Of course there will be a new thread for that, stivked of course.

Good news. :bounce:

Thanks for the nemination Duke :2thumbsup:

No problems. ~:cheers: I didn't know when you released P&M TW 1.5, but because oit was in April, your mod passed.

When 2.0 will be finished and CW?

Cangrande
12-29-2006, 12:22
Switching this to the West for a moment, will there be an English Civil War campaign?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Moros
12-30-2006, 14:17
cegorach

United Provinces should indeed be the name.
Btw: in 1815 it would have been the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. It became oficially the Netherlands in 1838.

Excel
01-04-2007, 20:09
here's some info that might be handy:

http://www.northernwars.com/
http://www.portsdown.demon.co.uk/cwp.htm
http://www.kipar.org/military-history/index.html
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgtitle_tree.cfm?level=1&title_id=269277%20
http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/
http://www.milhist.dk/index.htm
http://www.bayerisches-armeemuseum.de/
http://www.pikeandshotsociety.org/warflag.htm

cegorach
01-04-2007, 23:04
Thanks for the links.

I have checked most of those pages, though the first one is nicely updated as I see now. Makes me slightly frustrated I can't order some of those nice CD's, though, but spending over 2000 $ on various sources for this modding project is a little too much for now...:book:

Regards Cegorach

Excel
01-05-2007, 01:27
so how much time does each turn amount to? seeing how the mod will only be 130 years it would make sense to make each game year last longer than usual. maybe each turn could be a season or a month.

Derfasciti
01-09-2007, 15:20
I've been looking into this one for MTW for a while now. I've never ever done any mods so I don't know what to do but, is this mod done for MTW2 yet?

cegorach
01-09-2007, 16:15
Hmm the mod is for MTW2 and though we have little tools for now to make the necessary changes it doesn't matter as long as there is enough suppport for the project.
It will take at least one year to have some mini-beta ready for testing and more to have the campaign prepared.:book:

Derfasciti
01-09-2007, 16:19
Well so much for playing it for MTW2 anytime soon:laugh4:

Maybe I'll do it for just MTW sometime.

Good luck on your work.

ShadowStriker
01-10-2007, 01:05
Is there a website for this mod?

Stig
01-28-2007, 13:01
Questions about the map:
Will there be loads of terrain, ie. an enormous map where I have to walk 5 turns to get to the next city, or will there be a more MTW2 scale map, with every city within about 2 turns reach?

Will it be a RTR style map with loads of strong Rebels, or will it be more MTW2 with less strong rebels? imo those strong rebels ruin the game, as you spend loads of time fighting rebels while fighting proper AI is far better imo

Mircea85
01-28-2007, 13:20
Great idea for a mod. But I don't see the importance of some factions (Circassia, Uzbeks, Hugenotes) and those factions slot could be used for some factions in the area of India or Africa

cegorach
01-28-2007, 13:23
Something between - in western europe you will have cities close to each other with some strong rebells in Germany or Italy, but eliminated elsewhere.
In central asia or africa you will have something completely opposite - weak nomadic rebells/bandits and only a small number of large, but badly fortified cities.

Stig
01-29-2007, 18:22
Something between - in western europe you will have cities close to each other with some strong rebells in Germany or Italy, but eliminated elsewhere.
In central asia or africa you will have something completely opposite - weak nomadic rebells/bandits and only a small number of large, but badly fortified cities.
Great, nothing was so annoying about EB and RTR then the 20 rebel settlements between you and the next faction.

aleksandar macedonian II
02-01-2007, 00:03
uuuuuu this mod will be superb.
I have played P&M for MTW and it is very very good,but cego you must finish P&M for MTWVI 2.0,remember,you promise!

aleksandar macedonian II
02-01-2007, 21:28
This is how generally the map should be looking in the mod.

NOTE the number of provinces will be much smaller, but the map gives you some idea how large is 'the world' of the mod.

https://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1631/mapaprzykladowapd8.png (https://imageshack.us)

:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:
this I call a map,it is going to be a privilege to conker it.

cegorach
02-02-2007, 23:23
Of course the number of provinces will be smaller and some areas ( Asia) will make it almost essential to use all-cavalry armies to conquer them or search for new additions elsewhere...

phoenix[illusion]
02-06-2007, 19:32
I must say, this is really nice mod.
Great job.

dutchfubar
02-07-2007, 10:04
I'm a bit disapointed about the map although I know it's hard and maybe impossible to make even a bigger map, but there are a lot of very important colonies of for example England and the Netherlands missing. I am aiming of course on the east-indies. That's where for example the Dutch got their money from, so if you want to be historical correct you should add the east-indies to the map. Maybe you can reform the map. So unimportant places like for example dessert are smaller than they actually are etc.

Headlocked
02-10-2007, 03:30
Hi All,

PlasticFigurine and I have modded the musket and cannon smoke for:
1) Longer Duration
2) Whiter
3) Larger

File is available for download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1119

Mod Thread is Here:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80471

You are more than welcome to use this mod; just please give credit to us!

Cheers,
HDD

aleksandar macedonian II
02-12-2007, 12:40
Hi All,

1) Longer Duration
2) Whiter
3) Larger

File is available for download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1119

Mod Thread is Here:

Cheers,
HDD

I have try it,very nice :2thumbsup:

cegorach
02-15-2007, 08:38
Hi All,

1) Longer Duration
2) Whiter
3) Larger

Mod Thread is Here:

Cheers,
HDD

Thanks !

You will get your credits, no worries.:2thumbsup:

Chuffy
03-24-2007, 14:01
How are you going to handle colonisation?

The system in M2TW is utterly terrible, its just sending an army, taking over a province and then spamming out handgunners. Its not colonisation. I realise in some areas of the America's you will have to have 'conquest' style gameplay (Spanish vs Maya's and Aztecs or whatever)...but this kind of thing didn't happen in North America or Canada.

Dogukan
04-03-2007, 18:11
when will it be ready?Where is the link if it is ready?And if it isn't ready why?

I think this is a great mod but well....sorry if I seem stupid but I'm really curious about what happened to this mod...where?when?

cegorach
04-03-2007, 18:43
At least one year before a working beta is ready.

The fact I am not here very often is due to increased research efforts and other duties ( like those with friendly OiM TW).

So worry not - at least we have more freedom with animations now.:balloon2:

@Chuffy

How are you going to handle colonisation?

The system in M2TW is utterly terrible, its just sending an army, taking over a province and then spamming out handgunners. Its not colonisation. I realise in some areas of the America's you will have to have 'conquest' style gameplay (Spanish vs Maya's and Aztecs or whatever)...but this kind of thing didn't happen in North America or Canada.

I am interested in using various resources to define certain territories as 'colonisable'. These will get their simple, but quite interesting techtree - mainly to re-create more rapid growth of population.:2thumbsup:

Dogukan
04-03-2007, 21:19
Thank you and to people who helped/helps you very very much
(a little late but)I downloaded the mod for MTW and it was great but with this new engine,I hope it'll be much better

BTW I'd really appreciate if you could give me some links which gives DETAILED info about Ottoman,Polish,Austrian and Russian armies in 16th-17th century
Again thank you for your efforts on these mods

cegorach
04-04-2007, 07:23
You will find them in the Monastery - thread about historical resources.

Of course it is hardly complete, but that is a good start.

I personally found the Ottomans hardest to research, but Russia is close behind.

Also you can use the russian thread below as a source (pretty reliable I can bet).:book:

GrumpyOldMan
04-18-2007, 05:43
Hi

@cegorach

I've put up a Later Period Musketeer (1625-1675) - meshes and texture files in the downloads area. There's a post with pics and download link at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1677240&postcount=199

You're welcome to use it, if it fits in with your overall look for the mod.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

cegorach
04-18-2007, 09:08
Hi

@cegorach

I've put up a Later Period Musketeer (1625-1675) - meshes and texture files in the downloads area. There's a post with pics and download link at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1677240&postcount=199

You're welcome to use it, if it fits in with your overall look for the mod.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Thanks ! Your help is much appreciated. :2thumbsup:

Jobst_vonGrünungen
04-22-2007, 01:06
If the start date is 1572, then the strongest protestant force in germany, with perhaps the exception of Saxony, is the Count Palatinate of the Rhine. The Rhinesh Palitinate was certainly stronger than Brandenburg, which was very much backwoods at the time.

Definitely have to include the Rheinland Palatinate - There wouldn't have been a Thirty Years War without them! It was Frederick V of the Rhineland being elected King of Bohemia (and therefore heir to the Crown of HRE) that sparked off the simmering Catholic v Protestant conflict. And "Pike and Shot" as a military era is almost all about the Thirty Years war and the ECW, which were somewhat inter-related.

cegorach
04-25-2007, 07:46
ECW was minor conflict between factions of little importance - other conflicts had much more impact on the warfare during the period, ECW didn't.

Palatinate will be added if I find it justified - in June a detailed book about early 30-years war will be published here including the army of Palatinate.
I doubt there is anything comparable available anywhere (except some books about uniforms which are not of my interest) so before I make a decision I need to wait for that book.

Jobst_vonGrünungen
04-25-2007, 16:36
ECW was minor conflict between factions of little importance - other conflicts had much more impact on the warfare during the period, ECW didn't.

Palatinate will be added if I find it justified - in June a detailed book about early 30-years war will be published here including the army of Palatinate.
I doubt there is anything comparable available anywhere (except some books about uniforms which are not of my interest) so before I make a decision I need to wait for that book.

I read that you are going to have the Protestant League - Probably having both that and the Rheinland is not necessary. It would be sort of like having Burgundy and France. As long as the Rheinland Palatinate is part of the Protestant League. Unless you are trying to have a lot of detailed factions, of course. You could just make the Ruling Family of the Protestant League be the Rheinland's Ruling Family.

I was actually pretty surprised to see when researching the Rheinland Palatine that a majority of modern day Bavaria was actually under Rheinland control at the start of the Thirty Years War. It was a real power back then, not like today. But, like I said, it is my opinion that if you want to go the route of vanilla M2TW adding them is probably more detailed, whereas if you wanted to be like XL or TR they would be a good idea. As far as basing it off of unique units? I don't think they really had anything to set them apart from the rest of the Protestant league, but then the Protestant League wasnt really that different from the HRE. Most armies were starting to get pretty similar at that point in history. Mostly about Pikes, Guns and Pistoleers.

=Omni=
05-12-2007, 16:20
Hey!

I'm currently working on Later Period Pikemen (https://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10919593kj9.jpg) and I hope it could be an useful addition for your mod :)

Currently I'm skinning it, hence I have a question - did soldiers in XVIIth century wear any uniforms, or did they wear whatever they wanted? Because some color plates depict the pikemen unit as colorful, differently armed band, while other (like ones with swedish army) show soldiers uniformly dressed, all wearing one style helmets and clothes. Do you know how was it in reality?

Also, did every country have some kind of coat of arms, or did soldiers from e.g. Brittain look the same as soldiers frpm Spain or any other Western-style army?

SwordsMaster
05-12-2007, 16:50
Hey!

I'm currently working on Later Period Pikemen (https://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10919593kj9.jpg) and I hope it could be an useful addition for your mod :)

Currently I'm skinning it, hence I have a question - did soldiers in XVIIth century wear any uniforms, or did they wear whatever they wanted? Because some color plates depict the pikemen unit as colorful, differently armed band, while other (like ones with swedish army) show soldiers uniformly dressed, all wearing one style helmets and clothes. Do you know how was it in reality?

Also, did every country have some kind of coat of arms, or did soldiers from e.g. Brittain look the same as soldiers frpm Spain or any other Western-style army?

It depends on the army, and country. Of the three models you have there, I would say that the one furthest to the right would look mostly spanish, the one in the center could be dutch.

For example, in the spanish tercios, the armour was standardised, so cuirasses or morrion helmets would be worn by all. Other parts of the uniform were mostly irrelevant except for special parts such as Guards. To distinguish themselves in battle, the spanish wore the cross of St Andrew (the red cross on the burgundy flag) sewed somewhere visible on their clothing, usually chest or sleeves.

Officers would wear a band across the chest according to their rank, and sargents usually had a halberd instead of a pike.

If you want a fairly accurate depiction of the spanish army of the period, check out Alatriste a spanish swashbuckler film that came out on DVD recently.

=Omni=
05-14-2007, 01:50
Thanks for the answer :)

I've looked a little deeper into the matter and in my sources (internet - so not very reliable ;) ) I've read that there were no uniforms and soldiers were dressed similarly to civilians - so probably all western piekemen looked similiar :shame:

However I've checked on some plates and it seems that they might have used different helmets :D So here's how I see them for my pikemen - https://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=56425251iv5.jpg

BTW. Does anybody know whether the high boots were used by pikemen, or they rather used the short boots with stockings (or however they're called :P )

PS. I hope Cegorach won't mind me asking these questions here:sweatdrop:

SwordsMaster
05-14-2007, 11:55
Thanks for the answer :)

I've looked a little deeper into the matter and in my sources (internet - so not very reliable ;) ) I've read that there were no uniforms and soldiers were dressed similarly to civilians - so probably all western piekemen looked similiar :shame:

However I've checked on some plates and it seems that they might have used different helmets :D So here's how I see them for my pikemen - https://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=56425251iv5.jpg

BTW. Does anybody know whether the high boots were used by pikemen, or they rather used the short boots with stockings (or however they're called :P )

PS. I hope Cegorach won't mind me asking these questions here:sweatdrop:

Ok, a few comments here too. Sorry if i'm nitpicking.

All western pikemen wouldn't look alike since all western civilians didn't dress alike.

Also, the bright greens and reds you use for the models should be darkened, browned and greyed, since a soldier wouldn't get access to new clothes often, so while the colours would be visible, they wouldn't be as clean and bright.

As of the boots, this seems quite varied. Dutch or Danish, or sometimes german pikemen tend to be represented with shoes and stockings, while spanish, italian or french favoured knee-high or higher boots or shoes with leather leggings coming up to the knee.

As of helmets, Morrions (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagen:Heaume-Morges-3.jpg) were used in most of europe, and no only Spain, Italy or Sweden, with similar designs emerging locally. Here (http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_burgonet.html) is a great page for renaissance helmets also.

=Omni=
05-14-2007, 20:27
Ok, a few comments here too. Sorry if i'm nitpicking.

Heh, don't worry ;) As a perfectionist myself I prefer nitpicking to no feedback at all ;)

All western pikemen wouldn't look alike since all western civilians didn't dress alike.

That's interesting. Do you know any good sources where I can find what did people/soldiers wear in particular countires? I'm a newb, when it comes to these matters :P

Also, the bright greens and reds you use for the models should be darkened, browned and greyed, since a soldier wouldn't get access to new clothes often, so while the colours would be visible, they wouldn't be as clean and bright.

don't worry about that:sweatdrop: These are just test colors - I'll change them when I'll know how should they look like :yes:

As of the boots, this seems quite varied. Dutch or Danish, or sometimes german pikemen tend to be represented with shoes and stockings, while spanish, italian or french favoured knee-high or higher boots or shoes with leather leggings coming up to the knee.

Thanks for the information :)

Well, this week I'm short on time, so no progress from me, but next week I should show something new

cegorach
05-17-2007, 11:02
The pikem are quite good already.

The mod will require several types of pikemen/musketeer for sure to cover most basic westernised units present in most factions of the planned game.

I should have the easternmost flank covered by OiM team so more work on western guys would be useful to extreme. Would you consider more permanent arrangement with the PMTW2 ?

Currently the main issue are the models/skins since it is the part where the largest time has to be spent on rather boring work and I persoanlly rather lack the necessary skills to do anything in the area.:book:

=Omni=
05-18-2007, 00:32
I should have the easternmost flank covered by OiM team so more work on western guys would be useful to extreme. Would you consider more permanent arrangement with the PMTW2 ?

I'd love to :beam: However I cannot tell how much time I can put into P&M ( you know - session, exams, then holiday and possibly work abroad ;) ). But I can give it a try :yes:

rather boring work

HAHA :beam: For me that's the rather interesting work ;)

cegorach
05-19-2007, 10:29
I'd love to :beam: However I cannot tell how much time I can put into P&M ( you know - session, exams, then holiday and possibly work abroad ;) ). But I can give it a try :yes:

No problem. The project will not be finished in a year, even more anyway.

Would you like to work on a specific faction or a certain type of infantry/cavalry ?

HAHA :beam: For me that's the rather interesting work ;)

Which is very good, I always liked the inside, text part - at least results are visable much quicker.

=Omni=
05-19-2007, 11:34
No problem. The project will not be finished in a year, even more anyway.

Would you like to work on a specific faction or a certain type of infantry/cavalry ?

Hmm, for now I'd like to concentrate on western units. Limiting my work to one faction wouldn't work, as for example for western pikemen I can use one model with few variations (mostly texture wariations)

cegorach
05-19-2007, 14:22
I suspected that, but if you want to put some effort in preparing a certain faction tell me - if an unit roster isn't posted for that faction I will do so immediatelly.
Even though I sometimes cannot find too accurate images (at that time a concept of an uniform really didn't exist in modern sense anyway) it will give you some idea what will be necessary.

Still...God I would love some real dismountable units in the 'Kingdoms' - dragoons are one of most important features to re-create and for now it is still a joke...:juggle2:

=Omni=
05-20-2007, 16:39
Well, I think I'll start with spanish pikemen ;) So could post the spanish units rooster?
For now, a little WIP of Late spanish pikemen

https://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spanisjhlt2.jpg

SwordsMaster
05-20-2007, 21:34
Well, I think I'll start with spanish pikemen ;) So could post the spanish units rooster?
For now, a little WIP of Late spanish pikemen

https://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spanisjhlt2.jpg

Nice job. As usual I'm here to nitpick:

Towards the end of the period, the very heavy armour would have been dropped. So pikemen would keep the cuirass, but get rid of the leg protection to carry less weight, some would even wear leather cuirasses instead of the iron ones.

Flag bearers would keep as much armour as they could, since carrying the flag exposed them to danger, so they'd keep the leg armour, and even cover their arms above the elbow with mail.

=Omni=
05-21-2007, 21:26
As I've said before - nitpicking is welcome ;)

BTW. I'm trying to imagine how did the armour/clothes of western pikemen changed between 1550 and 1700 (so that I can better plan what have left to do)

From what I've seen so far (read from you or seen on colour plates) it can be divided into 5 periods :

Early (from 1550) - pikemean wear dublets and puffy, ripped trousers - the typical renaissance style

(like here http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/Francja,%201573-1650%20-24.jpg)

then later period (circa 1600) - the soldiers begin to wear more tight trousers (like there http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/Armada%20Campaign%201588%20-11.jpg or there http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/Armada%20Campaign%201588%20-10.jpg)

Then even later one (ca. 1630, so XXX years war) - less parade style, tights and low shoes or highboots (like here http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/The%20Army%20of%20Gustavus%20Adolphus%20Infantry%20-04.jpg and here http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/Smolensk%201632-34%20-02.jpg)

Very late one (past 1660 or even later ) - just like you said, the most of the armour is dropped and only cuirass is left (http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/The%20British%20Army%201660-1704%20-01.JPG)

ant the latest period - totally different style (more XVIII century - like) - http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/The%20British%20Army%201660-1704%20-07.JPG , http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/Armia%20Bawarska%201682-1726%20-34.jpg

Does it make any sence, or am I terribly wrong?:sweatdrop:

SwordsMaster
05-22-2007, 10:38
You are about right, but remember that you have pictures of 4 different armies in different periods.

Also, for some reason, spanish troops have german swords... Minor point anyway.

=Omni=
05-29-2007, 00:26
Damn, my PC has just said sayonara :furious3: Luckilly, I've managed to get back my data (along with my pikemen :) , but I have to send my PC to the service for a some time. I'll try to continue working on the pikemen on the another computer, however it's a bit old (doesn't support the pixel shading=no normal maps; and I can only dream about running MTW2 on it :laugh4: ) , but I should slowly progress :) so see you (hopefully) soon!

cegorach
05-29-2007, 12:58
I hope so, the pikemen are great, would be a terrible loss.

=Omni=
06-03-2007, 02:39
Ha, what a great surprise!My Dad's laptop is capable of handling normal maps:D so I can continue on finishing the pikeman (thout it's not very convienient to work with graphics on a such small screen ;)

Here are some random faces I've done

https://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=79556473fk7.jpg

<><><>Paddy<><><>
06-27-2007, 21:01
Any idea when this MOD wil be finished????

:help:

Warluster
06-30-2007, 01:33
When its released.

cegorach
06-30-2007, 10:59
When it is ready - it is a huge project so will take more than one weekend.:juggle2:

Boudicea
07-01-2007, 14:23
Hi Cegorach, nice to see you again. I knew you from the Lordz forums, Lord Crow, lol. I just wanted to ask a quick question, will this proposed mod include the English Civil War? I think your former one did.

Can't wait to see it though.

Ivan_the_Terrible
07-02-2007, 05:18
When it is ready - it is a huge project so will take more than one weekend.:juggle2:

Yeah it takes a solid fortnight of work! :clown:

Just joking :beam: ,
really looking forward to this one!

Kruniac
07-05-2007, 22:25
For a comprehensive list of all factions during the 1435-1800(something) period, check out Magna Mundi mod for Europa Universalis 3.

Asian factions, Eastern Europa, HRE, Africa, SouthAm, NorthAm, Western Europe, the mod has everything you could ever want for making a good mod for this time period.

thrashing mad
07-06-2007, 21:14
Hey there Cageroach! Once you complete mod (that I can`t stand waiting for:wall: ) I can make advert/video and put in on YouTube:laugh4:

My latest vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo7U14OBshs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKHBJ8e-Bw

Warluster
07-07-2007, 00:20
Some good M2 videos there thrashing mad, I forgot to turn on my volume, but from comments the soundtrack was supposed to be snazzy.

cegorach
07-16-2007, 07:56
Hi Cegorach, nice to see you again. I knew you from the Lordz forums, Lord Crow, lol. I just wanted to ask a quick question, will this proposed mod include the English Civil War? I think your former one did.

Can't wait to see it though.

Hi Crow !

Changing your gender - that is suprising...:laugh4:

ECW might be a result of some scripted events and surely NEW Model Army will be represented even if it doesn't really happen, but nothing really more.

There is no specific event the mod is about - rather large historical process - literally torrents in history and its side-effects here and there...

Kruniac

For a comprehensive list of all factions during the 1435-1800(something) period, check out Magna Mundi mod for Europa Universalis 3.

Asian factions, Eastern Europa, HRE, Africa, SouthAm, NorthAm, Western Europe, the mod has everything you could ever want for making a good mod for this time period.

I will do so + I will have a look around EU2 mods first...

thrashing mad

Hey there Cageroach! Once you complete mod (that I can`t stand waiting for ) I can make advert/video and put in on YouTube

It will hapen eventually.

Actually I want to have a good video intro for first edition of the mod ( MTW VI) with some nice score - maybe the original music composed for the mod...

Interested ?

<><><>Paddy<><><>
07-20-2007, 15:22
Hurry up with this mod.

Vazul's Ghost
07-27-2007, 15:51
Hurry up with this mod.

This mod smells of success, and unless you want that wonderful pungeance to disipate you should not hurry it. However... a few more screenshots (assuming theres material to go with it) would not be objected.

Smolders
10-11-2007, 06:13
I'm new to this Pike and Musket stuff, but I can tell you I'm chomping at the bit to see it done!!!

I'm no 'pooter wiz type, but if theres anything I can do to help out let e know.

travh20
11-05-2007, 06:03
It seems like they scrapped the Rome version to do the TW2 version and then they will have to scrap the TW2 vrsion for thenew TW game that is already about pike and musket so wtf?

thrashing mad
11-07-2007, 16:42
It seems like they scrapped the Rome version to do the TW2 version and then they will have to scrap the TW2 vrsion for thenew TW game that is already about pike and musket so wtf?

Not really - new TW game will be placed in XVIIIth century, while this mod in XVIIth century - there`s big difference.:)

cegorach
11-12-2007, 08:00
Of course there is.

MTW2 engine is little more than RTW-upgraded, but for now it is quite the best there is.

Of course if ETW engine will be superior i.e. allows dismounting cavalry, makes it possible to make warwagons the MTW2 project will be obsolete, but for now I have no idea how good it will be so let's stick to MW2 for now...

Cangrande
12-10-2007, 15:44
Any vague idea when we might see the latest incarnation? :)

<><><>Paddy<><><>
01-19-2008, 12:44
do you not think that this mod will be pointless once they bring out Empire total war in march?

Warluster
01-20-2008, 01:43
Check back a few posts to see the answer to your question.

The new ETW will be 1700 to 1820. THis mod starts in 1492; quite a diffrence.

<><><>Paddy<><><>
01-21-2008, 18:21
Any chance of some screenshots yet?

:help:

cegorach
01-23-2008, 16:22
Not yet, I am a bit too much engaged in finishing my favourite MTW VI edition - which still has more flexible engine and better AI.:book:

ArtistofWarfare
02-29-2008, 03:44
do you not think that this mod will be pointless once they bring out Empire total war in march?

Besides, we're not going to see Empire in March. No way. March begins in 2 days.

<><><>Paddy<><><>
03-02-2008, 15:05
Besides, we're not going to see Empire in March. No way. March begins in 2 days.
When do you reckon it will be out?

thrashing mad
03-11-2008, 17:34
Cegorach, any news when you plan to resume making this mod? Have you tried to introduce it in TWC? I bet that you could find a lot of skilled modders out there.

*Egerly awaiting for some progress* :)

Orhan
04-05-2008, 13:40
Hello the mod is great i mean it's very ineteresting but will it be free can evrybody download it?

Raz
04-15-2008, 12:17
Hello the mod is great i mean it's very ineteresting but will it be free can evrybody download it?

Why, of course it will be freely downloadable! I haven't heard of a single modification that costed you money (except for the download fee by your Internet Provider). :grin:

Antagonist
04-15-2008, 13:21
Orhan: it's generally safe to assume that any user-made mods for any game will be free unless explicitly stated otherwise. In many cases it would actually be illegal for a mod creator to charge for the product, as it is based on proprietary software (the original game) that they don't own.

Antagonist

Orhan
04-27-2008, 14:22
Ohh thnks btw if it be ready then i can download it from this website?

Antagonist
04-28-2008, 13:44
If and when it's ready they will announce it on this forum, I am sure.

Antagonist

Wladyslaw IV
04-28-2008, 23:47

Knock knock. Can I laugh? :embarassed: Hahhaah my mods that are small edits take a full weekend. This one might take 2 -3 weekends, month tops....

But anyway, till the advent of the end of May ( :laugh4: ) I have a question. What is the question, hater? OK, well, since you've asked... is P M 1 finished, ie caput? Are you still working on the 1600 whatever or so units, or is the old girl through?

And I have Vista graphic errors with MTW VI, so I would prefer work on P M 2 to commence now... :inquisitive:

Looking for a smiley, this little bugger almost made me cry. :playingball:

Cangrande
05-27-2008, 08:27
I've been away for some time now - I've been posted to Libya :( - but I thoiught this mod was due out in Feb? Do we have any idea when we can expect it?

Please! I need something to cheer me up in this hell hole :)

:balloon2: < Libyan balloon

Sir Thomas Fairfax
06-21-2008, 11:34
I have just recently found out about this excellant Mod. I am an English civil war wargamer. May I say how much I am looking forward to the future release of this Mod. I there any new news ?

:yes: Fairfax.

Cangrande
07-06-2008, 17:05
Hello Black Tom!

I'm also an ECW fan and can't wait for this to come out. I don't suppose you know of any other ECW/TYW games out there do you?

What do you game in? Miniatures?

Ciao

Cangrande
09-04-2008, 21:20
Any news on this? Come on guys, is there any sign of a release date?

Cangrande
09-12-2008, 16:41
Hello...I'm beginning to get a bit lonely in here...wait, what's that Latin I hear in the distance? Could it be the last rites for this project?

GhostOfDisco
09-18-2008, 02:58
Hello...I'm beginning to get a bit lonely in here...wait, what's that Latin I hear in the distance? Could it be the last rites for this project?

Well, I'm looking forward to this project ... I'm hoping it's still alive.

Heck, I only found about it a few days ago. :dizzy2:

Cangrande
09-25-2008, 18:36
Me too! Check out the dates of the last few posts tho!

Kdssow
04-19-2012, 11:16
How is the mod progress, is it still alive?