PDA

View Full Version : MA faq questions

shifty157
09-20-2006, 03:47
Ok everyone. Im planning on putting together an FAQ for MA. There have been some very good questions asked in some of the discussions so ill be using several of those but i want to make this as thurough as possible so im going to need more and i wanted to get you guys involved. So ask questions about anything at all that you want. Ill try to answer as many of them as i can and as detailed as i can within the FAQ.

Reenk Roink
09-20-2006, 20:50
Hey shifty157, I'll just make a list of the usual questions.

-When will it be out? (:rolleyes: The number one question)

-How many factions do you plan on having?

-What does "Mediæval Auctoriso" mean?

-Will you sacrifice gameplay for historical accuracy, vice versa, or be heroes and improve both?

-Googling (certain unit/faction) got me nothing? What's the deal?

-My article I found on Yahooligans contradicts your history fact, why don't you change it?

-I want to help, how do I sign up?

-I want to give you women and cars and money, how do I do this?

-Aside from historical accuracy, do you plan on improving gameplay?

-Where are my cannon elephants!?

NagatsukaShumi
09-20-2006, 21:39
Hey shifty157, I'll just make a list of the usual questions.

-When will it be out? (:rolleyes: The number one question)

When it's ready :laugh4: (god it feels great to say that, now I can see why games designers do it!)

-How many factions do you plan on having

As many as we can possibly do whilst still keeping the project interesting, I think a good aim is to make sure all our factions are fun to play as, not just one or two.

-What does "Mediæval Auctoriso" mean?

Authentic Medieval

-Will you sacrifice gameplay for historical accuracy, vice versa, or be heroes and improve both?

Ideally, be heroes, but as I said when I started the project all that time ago now, we will be putting gameplay first whilst trying our best to keep it accurate, if somethings would improve the experience they will go in, if history would make a particular aspect dull I think we should avoid it, but we hope to have both and rarely have to do this.

How do you mean? For research sakes?

-My article I found on Yahooligans contradicts your history fact, why don't you change it?

Which historical fact is this?

-I want to help, how do I sign up?

Go to our forums and then write a bit about yourself, your talents and so forth, then we will discuss the matter

-I want to give you women and cars and money, how do I do this?

I suggest you send them by Parcelforce :laugh4:

-Aside from historical accuracy, do you plan on improving gameplay?

Yes, indeed we do

-Where are my cannon elephants!?

In the post, I swear

shifty157
09-20-2006, 23:27
Big thanks for starting this off Reenk Roink.

Actually, NS, i was planning on letting this thread gather questions for a week or two and then sitting down and giving a good solid paragraph answer to each question.

So like i said everyone. Ask any questions at all. This is your chance to get to know our mod a little bit better outside of the normal rigidity of the updates so ask the things that you want to know personally.

Stig
09-20-2006, 23:30
How about this one:
What exactly are you going to do?
Answer that and you won't need a FAQ

Reenk Roink
09-21-2006, 01:52

How do you mean? For research sakes?

Which historical fact is this?

Just some clarification, these questions are similar to ones asked in EB. Since EB uses authentic faction names, it really...frustrated...people when they couldn't fins "Sweboz" on google. :rolleyes:

Also, EB used texts written by scholars, historians, and archeologists, but there was still the occasional person who used a unknown website off google to support a claim contradictory to EB research...

paullus
09-21-2006, 02:24
How are you selecting where to add counter-factual units, and how many do you think you'll eventually have?

NagatsukaShumi
09-21-2006, 11:56
Big thanks for starting this off Reenk Roink.

Actually, NS, i was planning on letting this thread gather questions for a week or two and then sitting down and giving a good solid paragraph answer to each question.

So like i said everyone. Ask any questions at all. This is your chance to get to know our mod a little bit better outside of the normal rigidity of the updates so ask the things that you want to know personally.

Righteo mate :2thumbsup:

Gurkhal
09-21-2006, 17:23
I have a few questions to ask, if allowed. And even if I'm not...

1. Will there be Pagan factions?

2. Will Paganism be an easy walk-over feature for Monothestic factions or will it (as I've understood it) as in real life provide real resistance against northern crusaders?

3. Are the rebells likly to be as strong as in EB?

4. Are there going to be such "special-buildings" like the ruins of Babylon or that holy lake in Germania like in EB?

shifty157
09-21-2006, 17:27
Of course you are allowed. All very good questions.

Keep them coming.

IrishArmenian
09-22-2006, 22:17
To be honest, I think historical accuracy always adds to gameplay.

Gurkhal
09-23-2006, 09:53
I disagree. To much focus on historical correctness CAN (not a WILL or MUST) hurt the gameplay. Although this also of course have much to do with what kind of game you want to play.

King Henry V
09-23-2006, 10:28
To be honest, I think historical accuracy always adds to gameplay.
If it were only to focus on historical accuracy, it would be boring. Geoffrey of Anjou took ten years to conquer Normandy, besieging every last castle and town. I don't think we want to do the same.

shifty157
09-23-2006, 17:04
If it were only to focus on historical accuracy, it would be boring. Geoffrey of Anjou took ten years to conquer Normandy, besieging every last castle and town. I don't think we want to do the same.

Well historical accuracy to that degee is simply impossible. Though i would agree with you there.

Chuffy
09-24-2006, 11:07
I've actually never played a mod for RTW where historical accuracy and realism detracted from the gameplay.

People are quick to use RTR as an example of accuracy over gameplay...but they forget that RTR really wasn't that accurate or realistic.

Then I look at EB and...wow, realism and accuracy, lots of it and it is far more fun than vanilla ever was.

shifty157
09-24-2006, 17:16
Yeah its really a matter of personal preference. I prefer historical accuracy because i believe the challenges that it brings add to the gameplay. There are however some things about historical accuracy that can become rather redundant and uninteresting and its these things that we'll be looking at.

Gurkhal
09-24-2006, 23:27
A few more brainstormed questions.

5. Will the there be a similer trait system as in EB, if possible?

6. How will the trait system, if new, work?

7. Will factions have the oppertunity to, if they wish, go in a non-historical way. Like Scottland focusing on becoming a Celtic rather than Normandic kingdome. Or England going for a Saxon rather than Normandic culture?

8. To what degree will fixed historical happenings be of importence. Events such as the "Marius reforms" in Rome.

9. Will all factions have the same type of "Government Systems" or will they be faction/religion/culture specific?

10. How will said "Government Systems" work?

11. There is some intressting talk about "regional" and "adaptive" unites rather than the standard core unite tree. How many core unites will each faction possess, roughly. Not counting "regional" or "adaptive" unites.

12. In origial MTW the Mongels usually didn't make alot of noise. Will that be different in this mod?

13. Is the same system for reqruitment of unites from new territories as used in EB going to be implanted into this mod?

shifty157
09-25-2006, 00:16
Good questions. Thanks Gurkal.

By next week i should have the FAQ written and posted. Until then please continue to post all the questions that you may have.

methoz
09-25-2006, 14:18
any faction list? :idea2:

Subedei
09-25-2006, 15:23
Will some steppe peoples be playable [e.g. Mongols, Timurids, other....]???:jumping:

Stig
09-25-2006, 16:55
Will we have a good working MP? (apart from the connection problems that is)
I mean will we able to have a good balanced MP game, or will it be like most mods, mainly aimed at the campaign?

anti_strunt
09-26-2006, 00:58
I can easily say that we'll be looking into MP. I am an avid player of RTW LAN with my friends, and although we will at first focus on the campaign, we'll make sure to balance it for MP as well. This is a game, after all - nothing more.

NagatsukaShumi
09-26-2006, 01:28
I can easily say that we'll be looking into MP. I am an avid player of RTW LAN with my friends, and although we will at first focus on the campaign, we'll make sure to balance it for MP as well. This is a game, after all - nothing more.

You are correct anti, as usual :laugh4:

Yes, MP will be addressed as this will be a total "conversion", we really can't say how but we will try to give out some information when it is discussed as SP is the main area of concern.

shifty157
09-26-2006, 03:38
Yes. And considering what we're planning on doing with units in SP itll be a bit tricky figuring out how MP will work out.

Its good to see so many questions guys. Keep them coming.

Gurkhal
09-26-2006, 08:13
14. If a factions shows religious tolerance towards other religions in their domain, will there be some form of benefitt for not trying to stamp out the minorities?

15. What manner of religious troops will be seen on the battlefield? Only Christian templars or others as well for Muslims, Orthodox and Pagans?

16. How will these unites be accsessible?

Gurkhal
10-01-2006, 17:55
How is the FAQ coming along? The week is almost over.

Stig
10-01-2006, 17:57
Will we have emergent factions (since it's the RTW engine it should be possible)

Ultras DVSC
10-01-2006, 18:04
How is the FAQ coming along? The week is almost over.
Shifty's working on it industriously, so you don't have to wait for long.

shifty157
10-02-2006, 04:07
Sorry for the slight delay. The FAQ is all written up but tweaking it within our developer forums is taking longer than i expected it would. Dont worry though. By mandate of myself you will have the FAQ within two days.

Gurkhal
10-05-2006, 14:03
Great looking FAQ :2thumbsup:

A bit sad there are no northern Pagan factions. :no: But all the more time for Crusades! :knight:

Tsar
10-09-2006, 18:52
Can you tell me guys who is working on serbian faction and what units will be in the mod?
Thanks

shifty157
10-09-2006, 20:10
Can you tell me guys who is working on serbian faction and what units will be in the mod?
Thanks

We haven't discussed Serbia very much yet so im sorry but i cant give you a unit list or anything.

EnemyOfTheState
11-29-2006, 02:51
I tried out the newest version of it (1.7 or 1.8 premium) And i just have a question about the squalor affect. Was playing as Denmark on h/h and the squalor in Arrhus was 30% at the start of the game, is this normal? (Have not played as the Danes yet.)

Taneda Santôka
12-01-2006, 23:06
Whatabout that FAQ ??

shifty157
12-03-2006, 23:17
Whatabout that FAQ ??

Its pretty plainly stated as a stickied topic on this forum.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=70112

Maizel
12-04-2006, 11:51
Will MA make elite units like knights more rare than they are in the vanilla game?

Since it isn;t really hard to get full stacks of elites later in the game, when they replenish like mad.

alpaca
12-04-2006, 14:34
Yes, the army composition will not be as easily influenced by the player. What that means? Wait and see ;)

Maizel
12-04-2006, 15:01
Does that mean you get cery little control over what troops you're recruiting?

I actually meant that most army's weren't composed of just Knights and nobles back in the day.

To be honest i've hardly used non-knightly units.

shifty157
12-04-2006, 17:04
You will have a good deal of control over what units you recruit but not in the way that you might expect.

One of our goals is to cut done on the spamming of power units and to enforce a historical and logical army composition. This should make the battles more interesting and more enjoyable.

As Alpaca said though, our recruitment system is still being finalized so we cant tell you too much about it quite yet.

NagatsukaShumi
12-08-2006, 14:51
You will have a good deal of control over what units you recruit but not in the way that you might expect.

One of our goals is to cut done on the spamming of power units and to enforce a historical and logical army composition. This should make the battles more interesting and more enjoyable.

As Alpaca said though, our recruitment system is still being finalized so we cant tell you too much about it quite yet.

On the flip side too of course, the AI won't be able to knight spam an army either, so you won't be at an unfair disadvantage.