PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Replacement

Al Khalifah
09-25-2006, 12:49
Because of my rather nomadic lifestyle at the moment, I figure it'd be for the best if I went for a desktop replacement rather than a new box - especially given the fact that laptops can do some pretty amazing things nowadays.

Essentially what I'm looking for is a laptop on a par with desktops. Portability doesn't concern me too much, although I'd rather not have a total brick. Battery life isn't too huge an issue - though obviously I would like near 2 hours non-intense activity.

Oh and they'd have to ship to the UK.

What I'm currently looking at is some customisation of the Rock xtreme ctx pro range. Link (http://www.rockdirect.com/viewNotebook.php?pName=XTREME%20CTX%20PRO)

I'm currently thinking along the lines of the T72 with the GTX 256MB and 2Gb RAM.

Alienware's beasty also looks quite tempting but its running AMD and to get a similar spec would put it over £2000.

Dell also have an interesting offering - but 5400rpm harddrive is pretty offputting and also - ITS DELL!

Any thoughts?

Somebody Else
09-27-2006, 19:08
I've got a Dell (shock! horror!).

Inspiron 9400 with
T2600@2.16GHz (Dual core)
2.00Gb RAM
GeForce Go 7800 256Mb
The HD is small at 80Gb, but it is 7200rpm
17 inch widescreen

It works well enough for me (though, of course, I'd always like something better - who wouldn't?) It's quite chunky, but I don't mind that - I can get it on a 'plane or 'round the country, I'm happy.