PDA

View Full Version : The Anglo-Zulu War: An Interactive History

GiantMonkeyMan
09-28-2006, 21:27
The Anglo-Zulu War: An Interactive History

Some Information:
After reading a few other interactive histories here I couldn't shake this idea from my mind. So here it is! Please reply and I'll answer as fast as I can on your options. The rules are that the first person to reply can voice a new option and then it is taken as a majority vote of the rest of the choices. Good luck :thumbsup: .

Overview:
Britain, wishing to 'gather' all of the small south african nations into a single, centralised country -obviously run politically by themselves-, has sent an ultimatum to the Zulu king, Cetshwayo kaMpande, stating that Cetshwayo should disband the system by which the king exacted tribute from his young men through military and social service, and that he hand over authority to a Britain. Obviously, it was an ultimatum that no self-respecting King would agree to, something which the British probably intended, and Cetshwayo refused.
The highest ranked British commander, Lieutenant-General Lord Chelsford, decided to advance into Zululand in three columns with two others in support -guarding areas to stop Zulu invasions of British territory-, Chelmsford himself took command of the central column. The strength of this column is given in the official records as 20 staff, 132 Royal Artillery crew (manning six 7 pounder guns and two Congreve rocket troughs), 1275 infantry (two battalions of the 24th Regiment of Foot), 320 cavalry (mainly a mixed force of a largely volunteer section), 2566 Natal Native Contingent (an auxillary of hastily recruited and trained africans).
Trudging through the harsh rains of the south african summer, Chelmsford's column attacked, and defeats, Chief Sihayo kaXongo's territory in the Batshe valley on the 12th of January. Afterwards Chelmsford's advance was very slow, mainly due to a streched supply route and the trader's roads they were using turning to mud in the dense rain.
It was on the 20th that he finally reached the plains of Isandlwana, a few miles distance away from Rorke's Drift. This is where you come in; taking the part of Lord Chelmsford.

20th January, 1879
Chelsford knew that the Zulu forces were approaching fast, much faster than his own 'army' had approached this place, but still he strode with a confidence as he made inspections of the camp, so as to silently tell the troops that all was going to be well. His beard was sodden, dispite the flimbsy umbrella held up by his servant, Mothusi, due to the chilling and constant drizzle that soaked all to the skin and turning the veldt into a mush.
He was convinced that the Zulu's wouldn't advance 'en masse'. Instead he believed that they would employ the guerrilla warfare much as the Xhosa had at the Cape Frontiers, which was why he was having trouble believing the reports coming from the east. Since the reports told nothing of the size of the enemy forces, he believed that these were but skirmishes, and that the British forces would have to pin the Zulu after a long war of attrition.
However, that was for a time far away and Chelmsford would have to deal with the present. He entered his large tent and sighed in irritation, realising that the water mearly soaked through the canvas and still fell in clumps. Lieutenant Coghill was sat at a desk, feet placed casually on a portable desk, telling a company clerk the imformation to process and leaving him little room to scratch the words onto the wet paper due to his muddy boots.
Upon noticing Chelmsford's entrance Coghill swung his legs around, knocking several vital pieces of paper to the floor, much to the dismay of the clerk, and snapped to attention. Lord Chelmsford smiled, "Coghill, gather the senior officers please, and sharpish. I'm having a meeting, that's all you need tell them." Coghill hastily saluted and ran from the tent. Chelmsford turned to the clerk, "Please leave, good sir." The clerk also saluted and ran out of the tent, as fast as Coghill had much to the amusement of the Lieutenant-General. Chelsford sat and waited.
Eventually Chelmsford's staff officers and the senior officers had all gathered into the large tent, discussing their own theories of plans of the campaign. Chelmsford stood up, resulting in all of the officers to instantly hush, and said to them, "I want options."
Major White was the first to voice an opinion, "Sir, as we all know there have been reports of a Zulu force to the east and perhaps the north. I suggest that we use this camp as a base of operations and sweep the surrounding mountains of the Zulu force."
"Sir," intervened Lieutenant-Colonel Pulleine, "Perhaps sending a sizable force east and holding about a third of the troops in reserve here would be the best option."
"No! We must not divide our forces. We should all advance further, it is evident that we would soon strike resistance, as our reconnaissance parties have shown." voices Colonel Glynn.
After this, all the officers begin near screaming to get their own ideas heard. Chelmsford coughed softly and again the noise disappeared eerily. He gave them their orders:

1. Leave the larger portion of the troops at Isandlwana and send a portion of your troops to sweep the hills and valleys to the east.
2. Send out a larger portion of soldiers to the east to stop any movements of Zulu forces and break up resistance.
3. Advance all your troops east towards Ulundi, the Zulu capital. It would take at least another week to arrive there.

Kraxis
09-28-2006, 23:07
Splitting the troops in face of a more numerous enemy is not considered a good strategy, so that is one down.
Sitting and awaiting the Zulus looks good on paper. Nice big plain with wide fields of fire, but we know the results of the battle...
Moving on Ulundi seems foolish with a strong and faster enemy nearby, well trained in attacking and ambushing columns.

Gah!... No good choice.

I will have to go with staying, 1. Damn!

GiantMonkeyMan
09-30-2006, 17:48
Historical Note: Chelmsford waited until the 23rd before splitting his forces and taking the majority north to where he believed the Zulu would be, leaving the remainder of the army under the command of Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Pulliene. Unfortunately for him, the Zulu army was not where he thought it was and the camp was assaulted and utterly wiped out apart from a few who escaped to Rorke's Drift.

22nd January, 1879
The rain had cleared and the first of the reconnaissance parties, mainly of the Native Natal Contingent, were arriving back from the east; the northern patrols would take another day. Chelmsford hurried to meet the largest group. Two companies of the Native Natal Contingent, led by a Captain Barry, had been the cause of gunshots that were heard in the distance yesterday. Chelmsford needed information.
The two companies were stifly in salute but Chelmsford muttered for them to be at ease. All the soldiers collapsed to the ground gratefully. Their faces were smeared by powder stains and more than a few were sporting dirty, blood covered bandages. Captain Barry stood to attention and the superior offered back a lazy salute in return. "Tell me, what do you have to report?"
"Yesterday, we travelled onto Conicle Hill, sir, and from there we saw a group of about fifty natives running away from us northwards. Naturally we pursued them and I had the best shots in the party try to get as many as possible. They were too fast for us though and I called off pursuit as night was approaching. We had barely set up camp when the bastards jumped us. We had to fall back, I'm sorry, sir."
"How many of them were there?" Chelmsford asked.
"I don't know," said the captain, slightly ashamed, "but there were definately more than my two companies, sir." Chelmsford studied Barry's face carefully. His hair was matted to his forhead with sweat and what Celmsford assumed was blood.
He nodded towards the soldiers, lazing about in the veldt. "How about them, did they perform well?"
"To be frank, sir, they were good when attacking the zulu but they ran at first blood once on the defensive." Chelmsford nodded; it could only be expected.
Chelmsford shook the captain's hand and left him to deal with his men. He was deep in thought. He knew he must know the size of the enemies forces and if they were divided like the Xhosa were (another tribe that Britain defeated at the Cape Frontier) or, against all of Chelmsford's previous thoughts, they were concentrated and ready to attack.
Chelmsford also considered the defenses to the camp that he must organise. Unfortunately, in their haste to advance into Zululand, sets of of the entrenchment tools had been left behind or were enroute, and those tools they did have were worn from the need to improve the roads as they marched.
After a few hours of consideration, he gathered his officers:

1. You need to decide what you consider the enemy force to be and so future tactics can be made accordingly.
a. A large, but divided, force similar to other native armies in africa. This train of thought would be most agreeable to your officers.
b. A large, but concentrated force. A rare occurance in south africa and believing this would be against most of the views of the staff.

2. Your defenses need to be prepared.
a. Be content with the wagon lagaar that your camp is organised as, and do nothing. Eventually you will have to advance on Ulundi anyway and you could rest the men for that march and the following campaign.
b. Dig a small trench and barricade around the north and east parts of the camp. This will inevitably tire your men a little but it should be a better defensive position than a wagon lagaar.
c. Position your artillery and build up a full encircling defense system. This would turn Isandlwana into a temporary fortress. However, without the proper tools this will surely demoralise and tire your soldiers.

Rex_Pelasgorum
09-30-2006, 20:39
1 b. A large and concentrated force ! You face enemyes which outnumber you, and you need your army to be grouped ! Splitting the army in small groups would be the worst possible decision.

1 b. You need that thrench ! It can proove critical in an eventuall Zulu attack !

Stay in the camp, and send some recon... small groups of man... if you can, try to lure the Zulu into an unwise attack against your fortified camp

Silver Rusher
09-30-2006, 22:54
Rex said what I would have said.

King Kurt
10-02-2006, 11:32
With the wonderful gift of hindsight, I would say c. We need as good a position as is possible - the men can recover once it is built. If we wait the Zulus will come - a military system which only allows you marry after you have been blooded in battle tends to encourage reckless attacks!!!! It has been alleged that Rorke's Drift only occured because the Impis involved had not been at Isandwana and were all unmarried - so sexual frustration led to them throwing themselves on the station's defences!!:2thumbsup:

GiantMonkeyMan
10-02-2006, 17:11
23rd January, 1879
Chelmsford smiled at the tired troops that were digging a trench around the camp in the pooring rain that had started again. He tried hard not to appear uneasy about the low morale caused by disgruntled officers who believed that Chelmsford had gone mad and the hard work that the men had to put up with. He knew he was right. He had to be right. Somehow he unquestionably knew that the Zulu were massing somewhere to attack right this minute. The reports nearly proved it, and yet almost everyone else didn't believe so.
Once out of sight he sighed and walked to his tent, Mothusi followed obediently, holding up an umbrella. Once inside he sat down and looked over the reports. Skirmishes to the north and east, the trench progressing well despite the rain. All in all Chelmsford was pleased so far with how the campaign was progressing.
Lieutenant Coghill burst in, officers uniform soaked, and said, "Sir! People on the hills!"
Instantly Chelmsford belted out of the tent, both Mothusi and Coghill racing to catch up. Some of the soldiers had stopped digging and were looking at the growing mass of silhouettes amassing on the hills north and east of the camp. "The old fool was right..." muttered someone in front of him. Chelmsford ignored the comment.
The rain was dying down, allowing the troops to easily see the mass of enemy suddenly swarm down the hill-sides in incoherant hordes. Chelmsford's glee at being correct was instantly quashed at the sight of the attack. The trench was incomplete on the north side of the camp and most of the Zulu were coming from that direction.
Officers were already gathered around him, waiting for orders:

1. First you need to position your troops.
a. Assemble most of the British line to the north with a small NNC group for aid; their experience and training will help hold off the enemy. To the east have the majority of the NNC with a small group of British soldiers.
b. Assemble most of the NNC to the north with a small group of British soldiers to help; their larger numbers will hopefully pursuade some of the Zulu to instead attack the east where you would have placed the well trained British soldiers in the defensive position.
c. Have one battalion of the 24th to the north and the other to the east, spreading the NNC between the two directions.
d. (The first poster can come up with option d. if they wish)

2. You need to position your artillery.
a. Spread the 7 pounders evenly around your inevitably curved battle line. With the Congreve Rockets to the north.
b. Spread the 7 pounders evenly around your inevitably curved battle line. With the Congreve Rockets to the east.
c. Leave all your artillary towards the rear. They won't be able to fire as far but they will have a larger arc in which to fire.
d. (First poster again can make a new option, obviously there is a lot of choice available for this)

3. You still have about 200 cavalry in camp.
a. Send 40 cavalry to get aid while leaving the rest as a mobile auxillary. (Most of you cavalry are carbine/rifle armed).
b. Keep all of your cavalry as a mobile reserve.
c. Send 50 to get help and the rest to circle around the Zulu and attempt to gather the reconnaissance forces left in the hills.
d. (Another option that you can make a new decision about)

King Kurt
10-03-2006, 10:37
I think a - brits to the north, NNC to the east - the NNC are the weak link , so the trench in the east will help.
Artillery - again a. We need the firepower to help break the main attack from the north. By spreading the guns, the infantry will help support the guns when the Zulus get close. The rockets are more of a morale breaker, so again, near the main attack.
Cavalry - I think b - we need a mobile reserve to shore up where we are pressed most - perhaps a small number say 5 could be dispatched for help.

Finally, we need to get as much ammo as possible up near the firing lines of British troops - there will be plenty of targets soon!!:2thumbsup:

Rex_Pelasgorum
10-03-2006, 22:26
The Zulu have no chance....
It will be a mass slaughter...

In true history, Isandlwana was just pure luck and numbers....

King Kurt
10-04-2006, 09:28
The Zulu have no chance....
It will be a mass slaughter...

In true history, Isandlwana was just pure luck and numbers....
I think that the Zulu does have a fair chance. The historic Isandlwana was more a result of British incompetance and over confidence. The Zulus with their whole society based on a military system were not the normal colonial adversery for the british. They would not disappear after a couple of rounds. They also had a strong centralised comand structure. A steady British line would always defeat charging tribesmen - but the brits could not be everywhere. If the Zulus get amongst the NNC - who are basically Zulus with a red bandana i.e. no firearms - then they might break and expose the British flank. That is why , in my dispositions I have tried to put the NNC in a position of best defence with a trench to help them.
Once the Brits learnt the lessons of Isandlwana - this even included a longer bayonet due to the Zulu's shield and peeing on the Martini Henry's to keep them cool!! - it was a slaughter - but they needed the lessons first.:2thumbsup:

GiantMonkeyMan
10-04-2006, 21:55
Some Historical Info on the NNC:
I decided to give this infomation since Chelmsford would generally have known (being commander and all :laugh4: ).
In Chelmsfords column, there were three NNC battalions (as far as i can tell although there seems to have been extra troops) the first and second battalions were the best trained whereas the third was the least trained and enthused and was basically the most rushed battalion. The NNC were generally led by bad european officers and just as bad NCO's, which didn't help their morale. Only 1 in 10 were armed with rifles and the rest were armed as they normally would have been (the british governor basically acted as their 'war-chief' and raised them in tribal tradition). At Rhorke's Drift there were suppossedly about 100-150 NNC but as soon as they realised the Zulu were coming, they fled.

edit: forgot to say that there was basically twice as many NNC all together than British forces. (approximately)

Is there anything else you might want to know about your own forces? Since you don't know much about the Zulu (although you can guess/find out i suppose :no: ) you can't ask about them.

Peasant Phill
10-05-2006, 12:02
I know almost nothing about this conflict, but I remember seeing a documentary some years ago dealing with it. As I remember they said that the zulu's used some kind of drug in the same way as berserkers did (although sexual frustration can probably have the same effect).
In this documentary there were at least 2 reasons for the defeat of the English (I don't know which battle). 1) When firing the gun, residue powder would eventually clog the barrel and render the gun useless. This was worsened by the fact that the British soldiers crack open the ammunition boxes with their gun. This could deform the copper casings of the bullets which would then spill more gunpowder and so speeding up the process of a clogged barrel. Without guns, the Zulu's had the advantage
2) the Brits were spread out to far. As a result that it was harder to support each other. And thus it was easier for the Zulu's to break through the line.

Was this documentary (or what I remember about it) correct?

As to our current situation:
1A 2A and 3B (My instinct tells me that the Zulu's will have something up their sleeves. We need something to hold them of in order to have time to reposition troops.)

King Kurt
10-05-2006, 12:37
There seems that there are loads of stories etc about this battle - which considering virtualy all of the British force were massacred makes verifying them difficult.
These include over zealous quartermasters insisting on the right paperwork for more ammo in the middle of the battle and problems opening the ammo boxes because they were screwed down.
The Martini Henry breech loader was a good rifle for its day and claims about its problems may be overstated. It fired a big bullet which would take a man down and possibly travel through one person to hit one behind - see
http://www.martinihenry.com/zulu-wars.htm

The spreading of the firing line certainly did not help, but it was the incompetant command and lack of respect of the fighting abilty of the Zulus which were the main reasons for this defeat.:2thumbsup:

Kraxis
10-05-2006, 16:58
I remember that show P. Phil.

The British advanced their 'thin red line' some distance too far. So when the eventual jam happened a significant opening in the line would occur. The Zulus would then surge at that spot while the buddies on the sides of the poor fellow would not be able to take up the slack without abandoning their own field of fire. Which then could lead to more charges... ect ect.

That alone I think is the main point.
All the other aspect would of course have contributed to the defeat.

Also it was shown that the British certainly got their ammo. The breaking of the boxes didn't have to do with the quartrmasters as we must assume they would like to survive too. But the rather complicated locks could slow down the opening and the troops couldn't wait for that, so they broke the boxes open.

GiantMonkeyMan
10-08-2006, 22:42
23rd January, 1879
The dark patch of the tribal people stopped just as they were coming off the slopes, as if suddenly realising that they would soon be in battle. "Right!" cried Chelmsford, gaining the attention of almost everyone in the camp while there was a pause in the Zulu advance, "First battalion of the twenty fourth and companies A and B of the second battalion to the north side of the camp in a line diagonally reaching to the trench. C company to the east trench with the NNC." As most of the officers ran off to do his bidding Chelmsford pulled Captain Barry aside and told him his NNC company was to help at the north. The Captain saluted with a grin on his face, Chelmsford couldn't help but grin also; the adrenaline of an upcoming battle playing havoc with his thoughts.
The Major in command of the Newcastle Mounted Rifles was also given orders: to gather all horse troops and prepare to advance in the camp. Then the Lieutenant-General ordered his artillary to be spread along the lines, with the Congreve Rocket system placed to the north; the troops there would need all the help they could get.
The Zulu flood then spread out, they easily outnumbered the British forces about 3-1 and Chemsford could see even more troops coming over the bridge of the hill from the valley beyond in droves, but the full number of troops was unknown. Too many to count in Chelmsford's opinion; not good for the NNC's morale, or anyones for that matter.
"Sir!" shouted one of the officers, "Deploy skirmishers?" Chelmsford nodded and, as if the Zulu were also waiting for his signal, the horde advanced once more. The rumble of horses was barely heard over the distant stomp of the enemy's feet. Some of the british soldiers were advancing away from the main line, spread out, ready to hinder the zulu attack in any way they could.
Then the almost reassuring boom of a seven pounder roared over all the noise. A strange silence followed. Chelmsford shuffled on his feet, waiting. Finally the other cannons fired, their projectiles screaming across the battlefield. None of the cannon balls reached the zulu. They Royal Engineers were just testing range. One, however, tiptoed along the rough ground towards them. A young zulu warrior bent down to stop it rolling and both his hands were ripped visciously off. The first casualty of the day was lifted off by his comrades.
The cannons were aiming for the main zulu groups while the british skirmishers ran to and fro, white smoke erupting from their rifles. The tribal people were falling but there seemed and endless stream to take their place. This would be a tough battle, though the Lieutenant-General. He ran east, to check on the NNC there.
They were huddled in the trenches, or behind the makeshift barricades, gripping their spears or rifles until their knuckles turned white with strain. Chelmsford shook his head in fear. If there was any where that the line would fall, it would be here. The cannons blasted a volley again making each NNC troop duck instinctively. It would be a long day.

"Mothusi!" he screamed above the din, "Bring me my weapons and horse. And send for Coghill." His servant nodded affirmation and ran to do his master's bidding. The zulu were close now, their war-cries even louder than the artillary and rifles.
Their advance could easily be seen, the veldt was littered with bodies. A few had been british, too slow to escape the charging zulu and swamped by them, but many more were the enemy. After a short wait, Mothusi arrived back carrying Chelmsford's sword, revolver and ammunition in one arm and leading his brown horse in the other. Coghill trotted beside him on his own horse.
"Coghill, I want to pull the skirmishers back. And send Lieutenant-Colonel Pulliene to organise the ammunition. We need all our rifle armed troops to have sufficient bullets." The young officer saluted and rode away.
The zulu were close now, some strong ones were even throwing their spears towards the trench. The NNC armed with rifles were wildly firing shots off at the charging zulu. Although some of the enemy fell, most of the shots went high; a sure sign of nervous aiming. Chelmsfrod drew his revolver and he waited. To the north menacing sounds could be heard; the screams of Congreve rockets, the volleys of british rifles and the terrifying war-cries of the zulu.
The small british contingent to the east were tearing holes in the zulu horde wherever they shot, but still they came. Finaly the charge was over. The zulu hit the barricades or dived into the trenches. Chelmsford fired two shots at the mob and Mothusi beside him was aiming with an old carbine that Chelmsford allowed him to keep.
The NNC were bravely fighting back but the ferocity of the zulu was overwhelming. Chelmsford knew why they fought like demons. He had heard tales of British soldiers in the Penisular War, marching through heavy artillary fire, loosing more than half of their regiment before unleashing hell upon the French at close quarters, as if finally dishing out payback.
Chelmsford feared the worst until the roar of the British contingent was heard, the red-coats were charging the flank of the enemy, having dealt with their enemy well enough. The zulu were pushed back and they fled the defenses back into the field where the British artillary hounded their retreat.
"Huzzah! Victory!" came the cheers of the British, but Chelmsford gasped in horror. The Zulu were mearly regrouping. There remained 2000 left out there, faced with about 700 British troops on the east side. He hoped that to the north they were facing better odds:

1. Stand. Don't give them an inch of land without spilling blood over it.
2. Retreat north, from there you can decide what to do with all your forces grouped.
3. Retreat to the wagon largaar, sending word to your troops northwards to do the same.
4. Call up reinforcements from the wagon laargar.

Kraxis
10-09-2006, 01:10
4!

If we retreat we lose cohesion. That can't be suffered now. We must stand our ground or fail.
Also a retreat will not even buy us time as the Zulu will likely follow us fast and we risk losing those who somehow fail to recieve the order.
"Not one step backwards!!!"

2000 vs 700 is perhaps not good, but we haved ranged weapons and some very good shooters. We should be able to deplete them enough to fail their charge.
And if that isn't enough, well, then nothing would have been enough...

Peasant Phill
10-09-2006, 10:34
- If we retreat to our wagons we are giving up our position for a worse one.
- If we move (like Kraxis said) we leave ourselves vulnerable to the Zulu's that are fatser and in greater numbers.

So we can't do anything but stay and fight. We do need our reinforcements to replace the casaulties.

Rex_Pelasgorum
10-09-2006, 18:33
I would have rather thought of number 1....
A determined resistance will break the morale of the Zulus... they probably had terrible casualties by now... anyway, until the reinforcements arrived, the battle can be won or lost.

Peasant Phill
10-10-2006, 11:22
@ Rex
4 is basicly option 1 with a call for reïnforcements. Unless you want to save the reinforcements for later I don't see any difference. Is there a reason why you wouldn't send in the reinforcements just yet?

Rex_Pelasgorum
10-10-2006, 20:28
Is there a reason why you wouldn't send in the reinforcements just yet?

Saving reinforcements is one good reason second is:

Because if the reinforcements will arrive, the Zulu will probably whithdraw from the field at theyr sight , regroup somewhere else and figth another day , maybe employing better tactics against the us. It would be the most foolish thing to launch an attack against a strong british line.Also, it is unlikely that they will throw all theyr effectives into such an attack.

So, the Zulu must be lured into an attack and defeatead now. They have around 2000 or more, we have 700... consider the british rifles, the guns, the bayonetes, and see who is more advantaged ~;)

Even versus 5000 Zulus the british could won the day....

Kraxis
10-10-2006, 23:29
It is our own little reinforcement corps. The troops on the inside of the laager, but as of yet not comitted.

The critical phase of the battle has been reached. The Zulu losses has been heavy. They need to win now, or pull back to save the army for a better situation (catching the British without fortifications or artillery for instance).
And while thinking of the future is good, we need to think of the present even more. Our survival is at stake.

Our troops have fought, their guns might begin to fail now, meaning less shots fired. The NNC is bloodied and shaken, they can't tak antoher charge as well, and our troops are hardly very good in melee compared to the Zulu with their shields.

mercian billman
10-16-2006, 07:38
4 While sending reinforcements could cause the Zulu forces to withdraw in order to fight another day, we also can't predict whether or not the Zulu forces will withdraw or continue their assault. The consequences of not sending/delaying reinforcements may give the Zulu the opportunity to break through the lines and win the battle. Or our lines may hold, I have no doubt that the British line will hold, but I believe there's a 50% chance the Zulu could break through the NNC line and would send the 50% of the reinforcements to back up the NNC line, 25% to back up the British line and keep the rest in reserve.

GiantMonkeyMan
10-18-2006, 22:48
Sorry this took such a long time. It seemed that each time that I wrote a version of how it could turn out, I noticed flaws and scrapped it to rewrite it. In the end, I settled for this because I just couldn't find a way to write what I really wanted to put so I just comprimised to get it over and done with.

23rd January, 1879
The whole of the british line thundered with volleys directed at the mass of zulu. Most of them, fired by hastily armed NNC, killed little to none of the enemy while whole masses of the zulu were torn apart by volleys from the 24th and fire from the artillary. Chelmsford patrolled the east line with two british privates and Mothusi shouting encouragement to the frightened auxillary troops. Coghill had been sent off to the wagons to gather the reinforcements.
The cries of the zulu drowned out the british shots as they came in to charge again. Chelmsford knew that the line wouldn't hold. He could tell by the shifting glint in the eyes of the NNC and the utter exhaustion of the british that as soon as the horde struck, the majority of his own men would recoil and then eventually flee. They were close.

Coghill had informed the Major in charge of the mounted auxillaries his orders; to reinforce the british line to the east but keeping some of the troops still in reserve. They had mounted swiftly and all were already armed and prepared. He rode along side them until they out galloped him because of his horse's drained energy. They pulled ahead easily, the Newcastle Mounted Rifles taking rash shots over the heads of their own side. It was enough, however, to stop the zulu in their tracks and make them glance at this new stampeding force.
Coghill laughed in glee and whipped his horse into a speedier run. The auxillary weren't stopping and joining the line like they had been told; they were charging like the cavalry of age! The thundering horses, numbering about 150 in all, burst past their own lines and towards the enemy. Coghill screamed at the men in the trenches to charge, take the fight to them and end this battle once and for all.
The Mounted Rifles holstered their guns and drew their short blades. The Mounted Natal Police pointed their sabres at the zulu. Coghill himself had his infantry sword drawn and was twirling it round his head in ecstasy. The climax of battle was here.

Chelmsford shook his head is resentment and a craving. "That should be me at the head of the charge! Not some bloody infantry Lieutenant!" he laughed, the two privates looked eagerly at Chelmsford until he fell to their wishes, "Fine. Charge. Cut the enemy until their blood fills these trenches that we so rashly made."
The privates roared with happiness and the NNC and the british company erupted from their trenches with cries of anger to charge at the enemy. The cavalry had struck in the distance, bundling and stabbing at their foes. The zulu, unprepared for the surprising attack, stood helpless and confused as their army was reduced swiftly to even numbers to the east line. Chelmsford followed the charging soldiers at a slow walk to guide the violence from behind.
Viscious though the zulu were, they were not prepared for this second round of fighting and soon the began to flee. "Halt!" cried Chelmsford to his men:

a. Have the cavalry pursue the zulu but not engage in full; instead have them kill separated groups and shoot into the crowded horde.
b. Have the NNC pursue and kill every zulu they can catch. The NNC are experienced like the zulu in the ways of the african veldt and so can track them well.
c. Send half the NNC and half the cavalry. Have them do a combination of the above.
d. Send none; you'll need all of your troops to make sure the north is secure and besides, your NNC need rest.

a. Advance stright away to the north. Who knows what is happening there and your northern line needs help.
b. Advance back to camp, replenise ammo and then advance north. This could mean wasting precious time in helping the north with whatever they face.
c. Stay to the east. There could be another zulu force coming your way.

mercian billman
10-19-2006, 06:44
1a Have your cavalry pursue the fleeing Zulu forces and give your NNC a chance to rest, your cavalry has not been engaged as long and thus should not be as tired, in addition they do have better mobility. While this will allow alot of Zulu warriors to escape, British forces are prepared for a long struggle and have definately put a dent into the manpower of the Zulu forces.

2a Advance to the north to reinforce your men in the area, Personally I wouldn't use all my forces, since theres still the possibility that another Zulu force is coming, but it seems this would be the time use all remaining reserves.

King Kurt
10-19-2006, 09:19
I think Mercian Billman has it right - just enough forces to keep the Zulus running - and the cav can disengage if new threats occur - and let us help the forces to the north as soon as possible.
The intervention of the cavalry was an interesting one - Zulus were particuarly unsuited to facing them - no missle weapons to talk of and no long spears. It is, of course, no surprise that they weren't prepared as none of their foes, until the British army, rode horses to war. The Boers used horses, but just as a method of getting to battle, not fighting in it. In subsequent battles in the Zulu war the charge of the cavalry was the climax of the battle and the straw that broke the Zulu's back.
I feel we are doing better than real life, but it could still turn again.:2thumbsup:

Kraxis
10-26-2006, 14:44
I can only agree with you guys.

The NNC would likely get seperated and eventually amount to nothing as they chase down individuals. Currently we need their numbers for a battle that has yet to be won. Meanwhile the cavalry can act the cavalry in TW, chasing down routers and keep them routed. Meanwhile we deal with what is left. That means we have to advance swiftly to the north.

I don't like leaving the east alone, so I say we let the tired British regulars hold that position, while NNC all march north. Their victory here should have stiffened them and made them more confident in their own abilities. They should by now be much better troops.

Peasant Phill
11-06-2006, 09:51
GiantMonkeyMan, is this IH still going on?

Kraxis
11-08-2006, 04:20
GiantMonkeyMan, is this IH still going on?
Don't worry... At least not yet.

Writing these stories is not easy, and it is timeconsuming. So lags between chapters is to be expected.

Of course, if you can't finish it, it is terribly important to tell people.

GiantMonkeyMan
11-08-2006, 17:49
sorry that i haven't updated... i've been having computer problems and only really been able to get on other people's computers for a few minutes every now and then... i'm currently penning a chapter but since i kinda lost the ability to check out the websites that had a load of information i don't really want to post it and besides, i don't have the time on the computer to post it

sorry :sweatdrop:
GMM

Peasant Phill
11-09-2006, 10:47
Don't worry about it. I just got worried because these IH are prone to ending unfinished when they aren't updated regulary in the beginning.

GiantMonkeyMan
11-13-2006, 20:47
Ok, bare with the crappy Paint drawings but they explain how your battle went. :sweatdrop: and also i've kinda ignored option 2 of the last post just so that the battle is well and truley over and the rest of the campaign can continue

Overview of the Battle:
https://img50.imageshack.us/img50/65/is1pf6.jpghttps://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7055/is2vd7.jpghttps://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2996/is3dd6.jpg
https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6304/is4gi3.jpghttps://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4149/is5zy9.jpg

23rd January, 1879
Chelmsford sat with the surviving officers at a table in a large tent erected in the centre of the camp. He winced as the sound of a screaming wounded soldier passed by outside and to prevent disruptions at the table he stood to propose a toast. "Gentlemen; to a successful battle, and God Save the Queen!"
"God save the Queen!" the table echoed as all the officers raised their glasses to celebrate.
Upon sitting down again the commanding officer didn't ask for reports of the wounded or dead, he knew the importance of morale so instead asked Coghill to retell the events of the successful cavalry charge. The young Lieutenant vigourously burst into and account of how he ended up at the front of the galloping mass of horses to impact into the zulu horde that had thus far proved indefeatable.
Chelmsford used the oppertunity to discuss with the senior officers the next steps in the campaign:

1. Your forces are severly depleted and there are many wounded.
a. Call up Brevet-Colonol Durnford (leading the nearest support column) who is currently near Rorke's drift to secure the position at Isandlwana and advance onwards.
b. Order Durnford to join your army and then advance into zululand with a replenished force.
c. Order Durnford to take the wounded back into Natal but keep some of his force to reinforce your army.

2. Your cavalry are currently sweeping the hills for the retreating zulu but it seems that they have come across greater resistance than expected.
a. Call them back to let them rest.
b. Reinforce them with a contingent NNC.
c. Leave them be, you'll hopefully be advancing soon anyway.

3. You need to inform the northern columns of what's happened and give them their orders.
a. Have the second column join with yours west of Ulundi. The third, more easterly column, to advance directly to Ulundi.
b. Have both columns begin sweeping zulu towns and villages to stop them from creating another grouped army.
c. Have both columns advance forwards, not stopping until they join with you.

Rex_Pelasgorum
08-29-2007, 22:46
Is this interactive still alive ?:)

1. b) :. Order Durnford to join your army and then advance into zululand with a replenished force.

Forces need to be replenished, strenghetning the numbers is very important.

2. a) : Call them back to let them rest.

They need resting, they have done their job. It is not worhty to push them forward into action especially since thei faced resistance

3. b) : Have both columns begin sweeping zulu towns and villages to stop them from creating another grouped army.

It is the best option at the current moment. The enemy needs to be attacked, we need to prevent them from regrouping !

GiantMonkeyMan
08-30-2007, 08:19
sorry rex, i just don't have the time anymore to finish this... besides, it was aaages ago when i posted that last chapter and i've kinda lost interest in it :sweatdrop: