PDA

View Full Version : Interactive History: Arnhem, September 1944

Stig
09-28-2006, 22:25
Yeah I know you get killed with them atm, Alternate Histories, Interactive Histories, etc. I kinda like these, but never got around playing in it (since you have to be a member) so I got around writing my own.

It's based on Market Garden, don't blame me for historical incorrectness, I did this first chapter mainly by hard, and for the first paragraph I use what are historical words.
Anyway I think some of you know some things about Arnhem, if you don't it doesn't really matter, it's not like you need to know anything about it.
If, for through some strange missunderstanding you are getting interested in the battle I can always recommend you some books to read.

In this interactive you "play" as Major-General Robert "Roy" Urquhart, commander of the British 1st Airborne Division at Arnhem. I'm going to throw you into battle pretty quickly. But the first chapter is only the planning of the operation.

It’s the 10th of September and it’s a nice autumn day, it doesn’t rain, it’s nice weather, warm even. But still you have to sit inside. Inside to learn more about the new plan, a big plan, a plan to change the face of war.
“And Roy, you get the prize, Arnhem Bridge and you hold it,” speaks Lieutenant-General Browning slowly.
“For how long,” you ask.
“Well Monty assured me that 30 corps can do the 63 miles in 2 to 3 days. Once 30 corps crossed the bridges they’re going to turn east, right in to the industrial heartland of Germany, the Ruhr … oh and we’re going next Sunday”
“7 days?”
“Why not? The sooner we go, the better. We’ve got them on the run.”

Walking back to Divisional HQ you discuss the operation with Brigadier Lathbury, your second in command.
“So Gerald, what do you think, 7 days, do you think we can do that?”
“Well we’ve never done it before, but the Hun is on the run, this mission can’t be too difficult, next to that our 16 earlier operations have all been cancelled, because the ground force was already there.”
“We need to make sure we get the troops safely into Arnhem though. All the earlier drops failed miserably, in Sicily and in Normandy airborne troops landed all over the place. There was no order. And next to that, we need 3 lifts to get us into Arnhem. The two divisions further south have priority over us, they need to take the bridges before 30 corps reaches us.”

Later on you that evening you already have to start planning the operation.
We have three possible landing zones:
LZ1 is at the south of Arnhem, it’s a swampy terrain, split up by one or two dykes used for roads. It doesn’t have any trees, so it’s ideal for parachute landings, but because of the swampy soil glider landings are out of the question in this area, so you will need to find another LZ specially for gliders.
LZ2 is a bit north of Arnhem, just south of the Veluwe forest. It’s mainly hilly terrain and relatively close to Deelen airport, were German fighter aircraft and flak is placed. It’s has scattered trees all across the possible LZ and therefore isn’t fully suited for glider landings.
LZ3 is far west of Arnhem, it’s the best LZ you can get. It’s flat, has no trees whatsoever and is ideal for glider and parachute landings. It’s 8 miles west of Arnhem and can’t be any closer as the terrain between Oosterbeek and Arnhem is too small for massive landings, you would however be able to land only a small force there on the first day only.

Next to the problem of the landing zones you have the problem of the limited aircraft. Arnhem Bridge needs to be taken on the first day, after that the Germans will find out what your target is, but since you can only fly in half the division on the first day you can’t use all men to take the bridges, since you also need to defend the landing zones. That leaves you with the following choices.
Attempt a night drop. Night drops have one main advantage, you fly in more or less undetected. It will take quite some time before the Germans even know you’re there.
Fly in the first drop early on day 1 and start the second drop directly after that one. This will make sure you have the entire British 1st Airborne in on the first day, only the Poles, and maybe some little remains of the division will come on day 2.
Have one drop a day, this is slower, but will make sure you get all the support from the Airforce. They will lose loads of planes in the first drop and need a night to repair them, having two drops on one day can therefore be risky as you might get men separated from their units as some could be flown in and some couldn’t.

Last but not least you have to decide what to take with you. You have the Reconnaissance Squadron, that can be equipped with either light tanks, as they were used in Normandy, or with jeeps. Light tanks have the advantage of their firepower, but take space. Space that would otherwise be needed for the heavy 17 ponder anti-tank guns. RS can also be equipped with jeeps with twin Vickers machine guns, as sometimes used by SAS, these are fast and make sure you have a quick reaction force. And you could always opt for not bringing the RS at all, they take space, space that can be filled with ammo, food and other essentials.

1. Which landing zones will you use
A. LZ1, the paratroops directly south of the bridge and the gliders between Arnhem and Oosterbeek
B. LZ2, directly north of Arnhem
C. LZ3, Far west of Arnhem

2. At which times will you have the drops
A. Drop 1 at night of day 1, Drop 2 late afternoon of day 1, Drop 3 at day of day 2
B. Drop 1 in the early morning of day 1, Drop 2 directly after that one in the afternoon, Drop 3 somewhere in the afternoon of day 2.
C. Drop 1 at midday day 1, Drop 2 at midday day 2, Drop 3 at midday day 3.

3. What will you bring as additional troops
A. Light tanks
B. Jeeps
C. No troops, but supplies

Kraxis
09-28-2006, 22:57
No, as long as it is good it will never be too many.

Ahh... Hindsight does give us a few chances to rectify problems.

For one we mustn't pick LZ3. That was the main problem in all.
So I would have to say LZ2. Fighters? Bah! Our cover should take care of them easily. Flak is a problem but less so than dropping right ONTO the German armour with we would to the south.

Normandy showed that nightly drops didn't work if you want coordinated assaults, and we need that more than ever. So it has to be day. I would say fast drops would be the best. There is always confusion among those that defend against drops, if we are fast we might be able to catch them napping on the first and catch them confused with the second. Too far spaced and we invite them to be ready to shoot the planes down, as well as be ready for the second wave on the ground. If we are fast the second wave might just bolster out ranks enough to take the bridge wholly.

Jeeps would be nice, so would light tanks, but we are dealing with urban terrain and an enemy with good weapons for taking out vehicles. A city is the domain of infantry. So we need supplies which I take also means proper AT weapons.
So naturally we should pick supplies.

1B
2B
3C

Stig
09-28-2006, 23:02
Yeah that's your main advantage now isn't it, you know what went wrong in the first place, you know what you are fighting, and you know how to fight them.
Doesn't guarantee you victory tho

Kraxis
09-28-2006, 23:09
Don't expect it to. Actually I believe the result will be much the same, but we don't exactly have to confound our problems further, now do we?

Stig
09-28-2006, 23:10
Yup normally problems come after the landing, not before

Edit just as for the rules, when I have time to write another chapter I'll count all 'votes' and base the story on that, maybe you'll get the new chapter in 3 days or so, maybe it takes me a month
And I must say, please bring up arguments for your choices, so you can discuss things if necessary

AggonyDuck
09-29-2006, 10:38
B. LZ2, directly north of Arnhem

B. Drop 1 in the early morning of day 1, Drop 2 directly after that one in the afternoon, Drop 3 somewhere in the afternoon of day 2.

C. No troops, but supplies.

Stig
10-05-2006, 13:03
"C Company to me, C Company at Major Tatham-Warter!"
"Quickly now, keep a move on."
"Damned! Sir I can't get the radio to work!
Chaos is everywhere, especially a short bit north of Arnhem. You look at your watch, 9:12 it says. 2nd Battalion should have left by now, and 1st Battalion should be ready to go.
“Sir, sir?”
“Yes Brown?”
“I got casualty reports; 12 Horsa’s lost in flight, either above the North Sea or Holland itself. No really damage to us, mainly food and ammo. Two Hamilcars dug in on landing, the crew is death, but it seems like we can save atleast one of the 17 ponders. Furthermore at landing 20 more Horsa’s got shot down or crash-landed, again no heavy damage, mainly some jeeps and further supplies. A couple of troop transport planes got shot down, but nothing serious.”
“Anything about the radio’s yet?” You ask.
“No sir, they just don’t seem to be working, I believe they gave us the wrong crystals.”
“Never mind that for now on, do you have any news about the Battalions making for their goals?”
“2nd Battalion left about 15 minutes ago for the Road Bridge, 1st Battalion is about to leave for the Railway Bridge, and the 3rd is still organising and should leave in the next quarter for Den Brink. The KOSB left for DZ ‘Y’ to capture it when the 4th Brigade is coming and the Borders are taking defensive positions to defend these drop zones.”
“Thank you Brown, try to get those radio’s to work now. Harold!”
“Yes sir?”
“Show me the map of the region.”
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/the_Stig_/Interactive%20History/D-Day.jpg
“Well sir, as you might have seen the maps aren’t detailed enough, loads of little roads are missing. But as you can see we landed here on LZ ‘Z’, together with the 1st Para Brigade. At about 16:00 this afternoon we expect the 4th to land and take the entire east of Arnhem to the landing zones. The 1st Airlanding will then take the Supply drop zone and fill the gap between Oosterbeek and the landing zones. When the Poles come tomorrow they will take Oosterbeek to the Railway bridge and the 1st Para will take the terrain south of the Rhine.”
“Do you have any news on what the exact strength of the Germans in this area is?”
“No sir, the radio’s are not working and we don’t have any contact with the Battalions making for their targets. Brigadier Lathbury already took a jeep and tried to find his Battalions, but he too doesn’t have any contact with them. The Dutch commando’s and then Canadian Haeps left to make contact with the resistance, as they might be of use too us.”

Scouts report tanks and vehicles coming from the north making for Arnhem, numbers are unknown, but they make it sound like if there are about 20 tanks and more vehicles. These should be the German Panzer reserve they have in Holland. Or the remains of the almost destroyed 15th army that managed to escape in Zeeland.

Later on that morning you have a short radio contact with the 2nd Battalion at the Bridge. Colonel Frost is happy to tell you that the north end is in British hands, but that the Germans still have the south, he’s also able to tell you that the Pontoon bridge has been destroyed by Germans. He can hear fighting in the west, but doesn’t know what is happening there.

Since you have no radio contact yourself it’s hard to guide the operation from here. So you have to do something, without the guiding hand of an experienced commander things might go completely wrong.

1. What do you do about the tanks coming from the north
A. You have the Border Regiment who are defending the landing zones take care of them
B. You call back the KOSB, they can’t have gone far by now, to help defending, the Germans won’t expect us to do another drop on DZ ‘Y’ and the 4th should be able to land safely anyway.
C. You call back the 3rd Battalion, they have just left and the 1st Battalion will cross Den Brink anyway, if there are Germans there they will be taken out.

2. What do you try in relation to the battalions in Arnhem
A. You decide to drive into Arnhem yourself as Lathbury has done, to try and contact the battalions.
B. You decide to move HQ from the landing zones into Arnhem, this is scheduled to be done on the second day, so you might miss the 4th Brigade as Brigadier Hackett doesn’t know that you moved it.
C. You decide to send messengers to contact the divisions and report back to you, a time consuming job.
D. You contact the resistance to have them use the telephone network, but there are moles in the resistance.
E. You leave things as they are and hope that Brigadier Lathbury solved things.

AggonyDuck
10-05-2006, 15:42
1. What do you do about the tanks coming from the north
C. You call back the 3rd Battalion, they have just left and the 1st Battalion will cross Den Brink anyway, if there are Germans there they will be taken out.

We need to ensure the safety of the landing zones. Both the KOSB and Borders are currently needed for that, so the 3rd batallion is the obvious unit for me.

2. What do you try in relation to the battalions in Arnhem
D. You contact the resistance to have them use the telephone network, but there are moles in the resistance.

It is risky, but overall I think the Dutch resistance is our best way to get reliable information relatvely quickly.

Overall this will definately get interesting soon. I'll look forward for the next chapter. :2thumbsup:

Kraxis
10-05-2006, 17:08
Agreed...

1C
2D

That should leave us in a strong position to repulse the German tanks. After all we have a few 17 pounders nearby, and we are goingto be directing the fight ourselves since we opt to stay. That can be crucial.

Csargo
10-08-2006, 07:05
Agree with both of you

1C
2D

Stig
10-12-2006, 14:46
It’s 12:38, your walking from the main farmhouse to a smaller barn. This is your temporary headquarters just outside Arnhem. In here there’s little that reminds you of a war. It’s silent, only in the far distance can you sometimes here shots being fired, but there doesn’t seem to be a war here. On your way here you were welcomed by, maybe even, thousands of happy Dutchmen, all offering apples, the little coffee they have, and one even offered you to use his car.
“Sir!!!”
“Yes, Brown what is it?”
“We’ve just received news from the KOSB, they ran into a German armoured column making for Arnhem. At the moment they can’t make any progress as they have too little anti-tank guns.”
“Right Brown, and were are they now?”
“They must be on the LZ, but this information all comes through the resistance and they use the public phone system, so messages have to be kept short as the Germans might be listening.”
“And did they give any news about the other battalions?”
“Well the resistance reported that 2nd Battalion now has the entire bridge, but also that it has been cut of by German armour that moved in over the Doetinchem road, before KOSB took their positions there. The 1st Battalion is in heavy fighting at Den Brink were a German company has taken up defensive positions and they are now somewhere between the broken pontoon bridge and the St. Elizabeth Hospital.”

“So it seems that there are more Germans in Arnhem then HQ has reported. They have cut of both Frost and Dobie near the bridges, and they seem to be coming mainly from the east and north. In about 4 hours the 4th Brigade should land and they can then take the high ground to the north and east. The 1st Airlanding can then pull back from the landing zones so the defensive circle can be formed, but already there are Germans in Arnhem, Germans that shouldn’t be there. If I lose the 1st Battalion it will be hard to take the railroad bridge, but then Frost already has the main road bridge, so we won’t need that, as it’s only in the plan as a back-up, and it’s too far away anyway. But then I do have to safe the 1st Battalion, as every single unit is needed if we want to hold out for 4 days. I have to send in some units to open the road to the bridge again. We’ll need it ourselves if we want to establish ourselves in the town, and we need it to get the Poles to their positions tomorrow. But can I spare any unit at the moment, both the Border Regiment and 3rd Battalion are still on the landing zones, ok the German armoured column has been destroyed, but who tells us there won’t come more. If the KOSB really are fighting with yet another column and there are already some elements in the town itself, we need to act. But thinking of this, how reliable is the resistance, is the 1st Battalion really in heavy fighting, is there an armoured column in town? There can’t be an armoured column in town. The Pathfinders, the Scouts and the Glider Pilots are there. They should have reported fighting, but then again, radio’s aren’t working and if they are in real heavy fighting they won’t be able to report. Next to that, the secret service reported that all moles have been cleared from the Dutch resistance before the operation, so they can be trusted. In that case I have to act, if the Germans will be able to bring more forces into town we will be cut off from the bridge and destroyed. But if we release more troops from there current goals the Germans might be able to push us of the landing zones and maybe worse from the supply zone that will come into use tomorrow. Then again, in no more then 4 hours the entire 4th Brigade will be here, and the South Staffordshire’s should land too. What can happen in 4 hours? Now I’m thinking, where on earth is Lathbury? Is he with Frost, is he with Dobie, or did already established Brigade HQ near the station?”

Yes you can now consider yourself in trouble, things aren’t as they seemed to be and you have to act:

1. 1st Battalion
A. Do nothing, they might not even be fighting, next to that the 4th Brigade will be here in 4 hours.
B. Try to contact Frost to have him send out a company to aid.
C. Send the 3rd Battalion south again, they will approach Den Brink from the North so the Germans will be surroundered.
D. Send the 1st Company of Glider Pilots, they might not be the best fighters you have, but they should be able to drive the Germans back.

2. KOSB
A. Other them to retreat into Arnhem
B. Send the 3rd Battalion to aid, they can reinforce and make sure the landing zone is secured. (Note: if you decided to send the 3BAT in aid for 1BAT you cannot use this option)
C. Send the 1st Company of Glider Pilots, again not the best fighters, but even little help is help. (Note: if you decided to send them in aid for 1BAT you cannot use this option)
D. Do nothing, if they are fighting they should be close to the landing zones, this means that 4th Brigade will land either close behind the Germans or on top of them, they should be able to clean the up the last Germans, even if they just landed.

3. The road to the bridge
A. Already send in the engineers, they should stay on the landing zones, but since they are not needed here, they can take a head start to the move into Arnhem and check if the road is clear in the meantime and they can also tell Lathbury to contact you.
B. Send in one of your staff officers to check if the road is clear, in the meantime he can also ask for Lathbury and get good information on the situation of 1st and 2nd Battalion.
C. Do nothing, the road should be clear, no way the Germans can be there. This means everything should be safe, Lathbury can report to me if he must, he should be safe.

AggonyDuck
10-12-2006, 16:17
1. 1st Battalion

D. Send the 1st Company of Glider Pilots, they might not be the best fighters you have, but they should be able to drive the Germans back.

They might need some assistance, and they are the only ones that we can send.

2. KOSB
B. Send the 3rd Battalion to aid, they can reinforce and make sure the landing zone is secured.

We need to keep the landing zones secured to get as many troops as possible to support our bridgehead.

3. The road to the bridge

B. Send in one of your staff officers to check if the road is clear, in the meantime he can also ask for Lathbury and get good information on the situation of 1st and 2nd Battalion.

I'd prefer to keep the Engineers at the landing zones for now, after our reinforcements have arrived we can start moving in force to Arnhem.

Kraxis
10-13-2006, 04:30
Agreed on both the first choices.

Apparently what is holding up 1st Bat. isn't too strong, but still there is a need.

However the KOSB is in dire need of help. Not that I don't think they could do it alone, but if more columns arrive we could lose the LZ. We can't have that, so they must get the strong help.

I do however disagree on the last choice.
The engineers can use the trip to set up traps and scout of places for ambushes and so on. Possibly clear out the few Germans that might disrupt your main advance later.
So I say we send them right away.

It is a risk, but without it I fear we might get bogged down later, and that is as bad as getting ripped apart, but with the chance that we might win. So I think it is worth the risk. And as the saying goes: "In war much must be risked."

So:
D
B
A

Stig
10-19-2006, 13:44
Since Aggony was first and it's split, I'll go with his decision. Unless someone else votes for A as Tarrak did

Stig
10-19-2006, 15:38
The fighting is getting more intense by the minute. You’ve send one of your staff officers into Arnhem in the hope he will bring good information on the situation there. What’s more important is that he needs to find Lathbury, most likely the brigadier is with either the 1st or the 2nd Battalion, but you haven’t heard from him yet.
The 3rd Battalion is moving all over the place, originally headed for Den Brink they are now at the complete opposite of Arnhem helping the KOSB taking the landing zone for the 4th Brigade, which should come in sight any minute now. It’s 15:43 and the drop is scheduled for 16:02.
More importantly the LZ ‘S’ is still in your hands. The Border Regiment managed to fight of a second wave of German troops and has formed a strong defensive line on the north end of the landing zones. With the South Staffordshire’s arriving this afternoon too, you should be able to close of Arnhem from the Germans.

You’re waiting impatiently on your staff officer to return. He left 2 hours ago, which means he could be back any minute. The bridge might be 20 minutes away, 30 max, if you need to take a detour. In those 2 hours little has happened.
Most likely DZ ‘Y’ is in British hands now, but little is known from that area. Only the information a messenger from the KOSB told you, that there was heavy fighting, but that the Germans, after losing their tanks retreated.
The second wave coming down the Apeldoorn road managed to break through the left flank of the defensive line the Border Regiment formed, but thanks to precision fire by the howitzers of the Airborne Artillery Regiment they were fought back. In the heavy fighting however, two 17-ponders and one 6-ponder were destroyed, but using gammon bombs and piats the Borders were able to destroy most of the tanks. The Germans now have started attacking your defensive positions with mortar attacks, and snipers have taken up positions in the trees. Though doing little damage, they make sure that it’s almost impossible to move in that area.

In the far distance you can here the first planes coming. In no more then 2 minutes they come insight. Fighters first, but after a couple of minutes the first gliders are coming in for the landing of additional supplies on LZ ‘Z’, to the east the 4th Brigade is beginning to jump over DZ ‘Y’ and the South Staffordshire’s should arrive any minute now. It looks like the Germans expected this second drop and far more planes are getting shot down then in the first drop. Mainly the supply planes for LZ ‘Z’ are taking heavy damage, but for now it’s hard to tell what’s getting damaged, even though their aircrafts are on fire pilots want to do everything to deliver their cargo.
“Sir, sir!”
“Yes, what is it Harold?”
“Captain Winterbourne returned from Arnhem, he’s already started making a map in the barnhouse.”
“Thank you Harold, ask Brigadier Hicks and Colonel Mackenzie to join us.”

What Captain Winterbourne has to tell you isn’t all good news. The 2nd Battalion doesn’t have the entire bridge. They managed to reach the south end, but were driven off it minutes later, when the Germans counterattacked.
What’s more important however is that the 1st Battalion has lost many men trying to break through to the railway bridge. Armoured cars, nebelwerfer and mortars caused loads of casualties and Dobie therefore decided to retreat into Arnhem and they are now defending a couple of buildings at the east of the St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. Since they now have been reinforced by the 1st Company of Glider Pilots Dobie is planning a new attempt to breakthrough.
What’s worse however is that Brigadier Lathbury has been wounded during battle and in hospital. Since the brigade has no-one in command now, it is even harder to coordinate it’s movement. It’s completely scattered all over the place, and it might be good to reunite it as soon as possible.
Good news however is that the road to the bridge is still open, atleast when Winterbourne used it. The Recce Squad and the 2nd Company of Glider Pilots were in heavy fighting with what looked like a company of Panzergrenadiers. Most likely they won, as on the way back the road was still open, and there was no fighting to be seen or heard.

Even more distressing news came from LZ ‘S’. The South Staffordshire’s didn’t arrive. Most likely the lack of undamaged aircraft was beginning too pay. The more American divisions in the south are more important in the beginning of battle, so when any aircraft for them would be damaged, that would mean less aircraft for Arnhem. This causes a big problem. The South Staffordshire’s would have been send to take the Supply Drop zone, but since they have not arrived they cannot be send in that area. This means another unit has to be taken from it’s own destination and be redirected to the Supply Zone.

So:

1. 1st Para Brigade, who will take command
A. Lt. Colonel Dobie, commander of the 1st Battalion and most senior commander in the Brigade
B. Lt. Colonel Frost, commander of the 2nd Battalion, and seen as the best commander in the entire division
C. Lt. Colonel Fitch, commander of the 3rd Battalion, though in age the oldest of the Brigade’s colonels, he has only been battalion commander for 4 months. He however is one of most initiative commanders.

2. LZ ‘S’
A. Send in the 3rd Battalion anyway, even though already tired down you need to take it. Plus when it will get there it will be able to link up with the 1st Battalion.
B. Send in the KOSB, it’s less tired down through fighting and it gives it a change to swap the objectives for the second day with the South Staffordshires.
C. Send in the 11th Battalion of the 4th Brigade, they are still fresh. The KOSB will then come under the command of 4th Brigade and the 11th Battalion will take it’s place in the 1st Airlanding Brigade.
D. Send in the 2nd Company of Glider Pilots, they are worse fighters, but they only need to defend that zone until the South Staffordshire’s come tomorrow afternoon.

AggonyDuck
10-20-2006, 09:09
1. 1st Para Brigade, who will take command

B. Lt. Colonel Frost, commander of the 2nd Battalion, and seen as the best commander in the entire division

2. LZ ‘S’

C. Send in the 11th Battalion of the 4th Brigade, they are still fresh. The KOSB will then come under the command of 4th Brigade and the 11th Battalion will take it’s place in the 1st Airlanding Brigade.

Csargo
10-21-2006, 04:31

a

c

Kraxis
10-26-2006, 14:36
1:
Tough one, I would like to send Frost, however what I know about the man doesn't fit the scenario. He tried to gain the bridge once, then he stopped all movement and put up a strong defensive position. Good choice if the bridge had been in his hands.
Also, sending him might cause some stir in the command. So I have to go with the more senior commander.
A

2:
Less obvious choice, but one thing is certain 3rd is not to be sent. They shuold be pretty tired, and they have been involved in fighting. They should simply stay put.
The pilots are too few and too weak to be of any use other than as a reserve.
The KOSB are holding a vital position as it is, to send them might be good initially, but could cost us a lot of ground later. It is little gain for a large risk.
That leaves us the until now unknown 11th. They seem to be in good shape, so they should be ready for a fight, which might just happen. The bad side is that they can be needed elsewhere, while guarding a place that isn't attacked. However, that is what we must risk. Without the LZ, we will lose.
C

Stig
11-03-2006, 00:01
sorry that the update is taking so long, but I'm quite busy atm. I'm trying to make a overview map for the new chapter, and need to calculate some losses (I use Close Combat 2 for that)

Stig
11-23-2006, 13:25
Finally have been able to do another update, sorry guys

You look at the your watch, 20:47 PM. It has been one hell of a day, literally, and it weren’t just the Germans who caused that hell. The fighting would be normal for a normal day in the war, but all the other things that seem to come with them are causing problems. Radio problems, the division being all over Arnhem, more Germans then estimated and those were just the little problems. The 2nd Battalion of South Staffordshire’s didn’t arrive at all, which meant that the 11th Battalion needed to be taken from Hacket’s Brigade. Hacket, being easily-flammable, replied immediately. His Brigade was like of band of brothers, build stone by stone, ready to work together at any time. It was his pride, he lived for it, and he wouldn’t want to see it go. Knowing Hacket you could prepare for this, of course giving him the KOSB didn’t fully satisfy him, but he at least kept quiet. He agreed to the fact that the KOSB should be held in reserve for the time being, they were exhausted. They had been in heavy fighting from early in the morning till now. They have had the toughest opposition of all the battalions and they also had the most losses. They were out of ammo and supplies till the 4th Brigade was dropped, this could re-supply them, but what was meant for only 3 Battalions now needed to be given to 5, as the 3rd Battalion was also stationed nearby. Speaking of the 3rd Battalion, they were exhausted too. Not due to fighting, as they only did light fighting, but they had been moved all over the operation theatre today. Their first task was to secure Den Brink, but they were called back to aid the Border Regiment and even after that they were send to aid the KOSB. Doing this they had to move under heavy mortar fire, due to this they were unable to connect to the KOSB in time to help in the fighting, but still they had many casualties.
How it was with the two Battalions in Arnhem was unknown again. It was hard to contact them by radio, and you haven’t been able to speak to either Dobie or Frost, a messenger has been send to inform Dobie that we is now in command of the Brigade, but this messenger did not return yet. The resistance was trying to do what it could, but it was hard to contact the fighting-zones, most telephones didn’t work, and those that did work could be intercepted by the Germans. Only the special telephone line was safe to use, but the phones connected to them weren’t located in the fighting-zone.

“Sir, we got the casualty-reports of the first day!”
“Yes, show them to me Brown.”
“Well sir, both the KOSB and the 3rd Battalion had most losses, KOSB lost 107 of its 765 men. The 3rd Battalion lost 89 out of 588. The Border Regiment has had less losses 65 of their 788 men are now either dead, wounded or missing.”
“Do you have any news about the battalions in Arnhem?”
“Well we know that the 1st Battalion has had heavy losses trying to make for the railway bridge, we don’t exactly know how many, but we estimate about 100-150 men.”
“And Frost?”
“We don’t know, the last time we heard about the units at the bridge was when a Dutch resistance fighter informed us of the fact that Frosts second attempt to take the bridge failed. The resistance fighter said that he thought about 20 men were lost in that one attempt alone.”
“Thank you, Brown.”

These reports made you think, you don’t know if any bridge is taken, and if no bridge is taken the battle with be lost anyway. Tomorrow Sosabowski will land directly south of the bridge, so that means that the bridge needs to be taken in order to let Sosabowski’s men pass and head to Oosterbeek. If the bridge isn’t taken Sosabowski will land in the middle of a German area, which will be full of German troops.
Also it’s important to get into contact with the 1st Battalion, is the railway bridge taken? And if it’s not would they need extra support, next to the Glider Pilots that are already there.
Where are the German troops exactly, it will be important to know where there main strength is located and what roads they use. Now you only know the plain overall view which isn’t clear, it’s hard to tell where the Germans are and the division is scattered over Arnhem, it will be important to get it linked up again, but you also still need to secure important high grounds.
As visible on the map the Germans mainly come from the East, using the bridges over the IJssel to send in troops to Arnhem, with Hacket’s Brigade dropped directly between them you might be able to encircle them and destroy a pretty large force now pushing for the bridge. However doing this you have to leave the high grounds Hacket landed on and you won’t be in a good defensive position anymore. This to will put the KOSB into action again, as they are exhausted and have fighted all day, it might not be good for morale.
Furthermore it’s important to redirect the 3rd Battalion into Arnhem, they have been on the move all day, and taken casualties even when they weren’t fighting. However they are currently in the front line and have digged themselves in on the higher ground North-East of Arnhem.
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/the_Stig_/Interactive%20History/17-92100copy.jpg
grey: german positions
purple: your positions
red lines: front lines
dots with flags: HQs

So what will you choose:

1. The 4th Brigade
A. Keep them going for their targets as they are now, this means that (when looking at the map) the KOSB will retreat into Arnhem, the 10th Battalion will take over their position and link up with the 3rd Battalion. The 156th Battalion will try to push through to the Rhine set up a line from North to South.
B. Try to cut of the Germans, this means that the KOSB will stay where they are, still in the front line. The 10th Battalion will try to break through to the IJssel and will try to either take or destroy the railway bridge there. The 156th Battalion will clear the area between the 2nd Battalion at the Bridge and the IJssel.

2. Goes with question 1.
A. Let the 4th Brigade operate this night, darkness will come within the next hour.
B. Let the 4th Brigade begin its operations at sunrise tomorrow morning, U-hour will be 6:34.

3. The 3rd Battalion
A. Keep them were they are, the front line needs to stay intact, even though they have been on the move all day, darkness will come soon and the Germans will most likely not attack and regroup as well.
B. Steadily pull them back to Arnhem, but let them do a defensive retreat, which means that they will pull back for the imaginative line between the Brigade HQs of Hicks (1st Airlanding) and Hacket (4th Brigade).

4. Goes with question 3.
A. Let the 3rd Battalion operate this night, darkness will come within the next hour.
B. Let the 3rd Battalion begin its operations at sunrise tomorrow morning, U-hour will be 6:47.

AggonyDuck
11-27-2006, 19:11
Thanks for the update Stig. I've been holding off on my reply and decisions in the hopes of someone else doing the deciding for me. But it looks like it ain't happening, so I better get into deciding then. :yes:

1. The 4th Brigade
A. Keep them going for their targets as they are now, this means that (when looking at the map) the KOSB will retreat into Arnhem, the 10th Battalion will take over their position and link up with the 3rd Battalion. The 156th Battalion will try to push through to the Rhine set up a line from North to South.

This seems like the safer and better option to me.

2. Goes with question 1.
A. Let the 4th Brigade operate this night, darkness will come within the next hour.

Lets operate at night. Overall the Germans won't expect us to operate at night, because well simply the Allies didn't attack during nights.

3. The 3rd Battalion

B. Steadily pull them back to Arnhem, but let them do a defensive retreat, which means that they will pull back for the imaginative line between the Brigade HQs of Hicks (1st Airlanding) and Hacket (4th Brigade).

4. Goes with question 3.

A. Let the 3rd Battalion operate this night, darkness will come within the next hour.

Oh well, I hope my decisions are good. :2thumbsup:

Stig
11-28-2006, 00:22
But it looks like it ain't happening
I think I will drag Kraxis back to these forums, he has the little excuse that he has no internet connection, but he has been one other forum ... *prepares rope*

Myrddraal
12-05-2006, 12:15
Can anyone contribute to these? If so, here's my 2 cents.

I agree with 1A and 3B

However, the 3rd batallion are exhausted, and parts of the 4th even more so. We have a bit of a dilema here. I think that doing the above would give us a stronger position, especially if the railway bridge is taken or destroyed, but theres a long fight ahead, and so far we've had very few units kept fresh. So I'd say the safest option for the long run is to rest for the night now, and begin operations in morning. I think if we keep going tonight, the men won't be able to stand up long.

So 2B, 4B

For your interest http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/launch_ani_arnhem.shtml

Kraxis
12-07-2006, 23:52
1B...
We have a fairly strong German presence in our flank. That is never good, especailly not when they harass the forces trying to take a bridge.
We have a fairly fresh brigade on their flank. That is always good, especially when it can 'easily' cut the Germans' supplyline. And thst can be crucial since the Germans are likely to have a lot of supplies and ammo with them. They haven't expected this, and aren't prepared to fight with no supplies like our troops are. It is worth the risk in my opinion.

2A...
Of course we use the night. As said the Allies didn't use the night much (surprise-effect for the Germans), but we have experienced and elite paras, some of the few Allied troops that have regualrly used the night in combat. Lets use that pool of experience.

3A...
Well, if we attack the Germans and try to link up with 3rd Bat, then those troops should stay where they are, or else we run the risk of 4th Brig being turned, or at least being isolated. And we can't have more troops being isolated right now. 3rd Bat is tired, but dug-in infantry is hard to dislodge, and Germans don't like to attack at night against undetermined enemies. If they do it is going to be a cakewalk for the paras. So I expect the 3rd will be able to rest throughout the night in their current positions, while moving them back will leave them tired for the next day.

4A...
Since we don't so anything really, I would say that we use the night...:inquisitive: In any case it is important that we don't just let 4th Brig hang out there.

Stig
12-08-2006, 15:22
It’s night and it should be dark, but the German mortars prevent it from becoming dark, in the direct area of your HQ one house is ablaze and this is just the hinterland, this isn’t the front. You already received messages from the Border Regiment and the 11th Battalion that they are under heavy mortar fire. No word has come from Hacket or the 3rd Battalion, as they should be on the move. Hacket is trying to reach his objective with two instead of three battalions, the 156th will have a hard task trying to break through to the Rhine and the 10th will have to hold a large front, though that front will be smaller then originally as the 3rd Battalion will pull about half a mile back into the direction of Arnhem. The KOSB will become the divisional reserve and they might come in use tomorrow, well today already, when the area between the bridge and the front formed by the 156th has to be cleared.
While all this happening on the Eastern Front things on the Western front are very different. The 11th Battalion still has to take the Supply Zone and it’s uncertain if the railway bridge is already in your hands. Word however has come from the resistance that the railway bridge has been blown and that Dobie has decided to pull the 1st Battalion back into Arnhem since it was unprotected and under heavy mortar and nebelwerfer fire.
No news has come from Frost, he might already have been cut-off, but it’s hard to lead operations at night. Knowing Frost he might use the night too, to attempt another go at the bridge, if he doesn’t already have it.

Slowly natural light was coming back, the house that was ablaze has been fully destroyed this night, but apart from that one the direct area of your HQ has been safe. Now it was a good time to look at the maps again and see where everyone was. The messenger you send to Dobie last night has finally returned, but with bad news, the railway bridge has indeed been destroyed. Dobie had withdrawn his men under the cover of dark, though sometimes under heavy fire, into Arnhem again, and he was preparing to make for the bridge so that he would be able to cross it and make for the 1st Brigades objective of securing an area south of the bridges. He also informed you that Dobie wanted to keep the 2nd Company of Glider Pilots for the time being, so that he could use them instead of the 3rd Battalion, the 3rd could then be put into divisional reserve and rest for a couple of hours.
Word from the 11th Battalion told you that they had been able to take the Supply Zone which was totally clear of Germans, and they had formed a line between the Supply Zone and the Border Regiment. With the coming of the Poles and the South Staffordshire’s this afternoon that line could easily be strengthened and defended.
The South Staffordshire’s can replace the 3rd Battalion that will become a reserve and the Poles will form a line from the 11th Battalion to the Rhine at Oosterbeek.
However for now too, there are still some important tasks, currently the 1st Battalion (with the 2nd Glider Pilots) is preparing to move for the bridge, unknown of the situation in the rest of the division they will leave the entire western flank unprotected, they however will help to get Frost out of the encirclement.
Also it might be wise to put the KOSB into action again, after moving out of the front they have been able to rest for three hours and, though three hours isn’t very long, they have been able to recover a bit from exhaustion. Since the 156th hasn’t been able to break through to the river they might do well in a supporting role by advancing over the 156th western flank. With the Poles coming this afternoon it’s important to secure the bridge. Most likely the Germans have a pretty big concentration of troops at the southern end of the bridge, and it’s important to have them cleared in order to have a safe landing for the Poles.

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/the_Stig_/Interactive%20History/18-90700.jpg

1. 1st Battalion
A. Keep them going as Dobie is preparing, let them make for Frost and secure the bridge.
B. Order them to make a frontline where they are now. The Poles will then cross this line and form their own frontline in Oosterbeek after which the 3rd can cross the bridge and form a line there.

2. KOSB
A. Put them into action again and let them make for Frost at the bridge. Once they made contact with Frost they can advance to the 156th Battalion.
B. Put them into action again and let them support the 156th Battalion. After that they can turn and head for Frost.
C. Keep them in reserve for the time being.

Kraxis
12-08-2006, 18:32
1A and 2A

We need to get into contact with Frost again. If we can do that, then we might be able to take the bridge (if it isn't already taken) with more forces. Currently Frost is really in trouble, he can't move much and he must be getting low on active infantry.

We are paratroopers, we need to act, for if we delay we will just delay the inevitable. Defensive positions are good, but not when they are not enough, that is when we need to do something.

Even if we don't break through to Frost, our attacks might just be enough to take the pressure of him, so he can take the bridge. And even if he doesn't it can be vital for the Poles when they land that the Germans are occupied with Frost. So when they land they can support from the other side.

All in all, pressure where it is needed, right away. We can't afford to stand still right now. If we don't take our objectives fast we don't ever take them, since we are neither heavy infantry or in supply.

AggonyDuck
12-09-2006, 16:02
1A and 2A like Kraxis said. :yes:

Myrddraal
12-09-2006, 18:35
I agree that we must regain contact with Frost at the bridge, and it seems to me (from my limited historical knowledge) that we're in a much better position to do so than was historically the case.

Clearly sending both the KOSB and the 1st battalion would be the best way to re-establish contact. BUT, sending the 1st battalion leaves the approach from Oosterbeek completely undefended. The poles should be landing on the south side of the river, south of Oosterbeek right? If the Germans move into Oosterbeek the poles will be completely isolated and fairly vulnerable. Fighting in the town won't draw the Germans away from the Polish landing zone because the Germans near the landing zones would need to cross the bridge to get to that area of the town.

So I'd say we send KOSB to try to join up with Frost, and keep the 1st holding the Oosterbeek approach. The KOSB will surely attract all the attention of the Germans in the town, if they get bogged down, we can always move in with the 1st later, when the Germans in that area will be fully occupied already. I think sending in the first now will make the Polish drop too dangerous.

EDIT Hang on I may be mistaken here. The Polish drop is planned to occur South of the road bridge in Arnhem in LZ 'K', but accidently happened south of Oosterbeek. Is that right? In which case, the same may not happen, and it would be wrong to assume it will. In which case it is much more important to take the road bridge. So

1A and 2A

Stig
12-10-2006, 13:20
EDIT Hang on I may be mistaken here. The Polish drop is planned to occur South of the road bridge in Arnhem in LZ 'K', but accidently happened south of Oosterbeek. Is that right? In which case, the same may not happen, and it would be wrong to assume it will. In which case it is much more important to take the road bridge. So

1A and 2A
Aye the Poles will here be dropped almost directly south of the Bridge, in real Market Garden this was changed to be south of Oosterbeek, as the bridge then was already lost. But you guys choose for something completely different

Myrddraal
12-10-2006, 17:02
Aye the Poles will here be dropped almost directly south of the Bridge, in real Market Garden this was changed to be south of Oosterbeek, as the bridge then was already lost. But you guys choose for something completely different

Ah ok, thank you :bow:

Stig
12-19-2006, 12:47
Slowly battle reports are coming in, radio contact is slowly becoming possible. The 1st Battalion is close enough to the 2nd Battalion to come in contact, and similarly KOSB is close enough to 2nd Battalion to come in contact. This is all to your advantage since the resistance is unable to provide further news from the different battalions. But there's little you can do untill the reinforcements arrive.

-KOSB report 11:36-
-Under heavy mortar fire-
-Not being able to break through-
-Enemy using tanks-
-Paits able to destroy most tanks-
-Slowly running out of AT-ammo-
-Casualties around 30 men-

-1 BAT report 11:17-
-Advance stalled after 300 m.-
-Heavy MG fire from higher roads to north-
-Heavy Artillery fire from southern bank-
-Retreating to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital-
-Reinforcements needed if wanting to break through-

-2 BAT report 12:01-
-Pinned down by mortar fire from southern bank-
-Not have been able to launch assault-
-Frontal assault planned at 13:15-
-Running out of ammo-
-Casualties lower then expected-

-156 BAT report 11:56-
-Not being able to break through to the river-
-Enemy bringing reinforcements over the river IJssel-
-Eastern flank open-
-In need of reinforcements-

In Arnhem things were going not as planned, the enemy used their main force to attack Arnhem itself and took no notion of the 4 Battalions to the north protecting the high grounds. This might come in good use, troops can be moved to the south, as the high grounds need less protection and troops are needed in Arnhem. However this will mean that the LZ for the 2nd South Staffordshire’s receives less protection, they will come in about 2 hours, if things are going to plan.

So there are some important decisions to be made:

1. 11 BAT
A. Keep them in position
B. Send them to reinforce 1 BAT
C. Send them to reinforce KOSB

2. Border
A. Keep them in position
B. Send them to reinforce KOSB
C. Send them to reinforce 156 BAT

3. 3 BAT
A. Keep them in position

4. 10 BAT
A. Keep them in position

Take this in mind: If you decide for example to send the Border Regiment into Arnhem their position will be taken over by both the battalions on their flanks.

AggonyDuck
12-19-2006, 16:47
We need to concentrate on a single point. I believe our best option is to cut off the Germans in Arnhem from the Issel bridge, so I want to concentrate on helping the 156th Batallion to break through. I think to get a proper breakthrough we need to send atleast two batallions to support.

1. 11 BAT
A. Keep them in position

2. Border

3. 3 BAT
A. Keep them in position

4. 10 BAT

My decision is to concentrate the Border regiment, the 10th Batallion and the 156th Batallion to breakthrough and cut off the Germans in Arnhem. This does leave the rear areas a bit exposed, but hopefully it will pay off.

Stig
12-21-2006, 14:38
Managed to squeeze another update in

Looking at the clock in your HQ you see it’s still only 13:24. Brigadier Hicks just visited you and he wanted to regroup the brigades. Now that all the battalions are split from their official brigade, and now that they have different tasks then in the original plan it’s hard to use them while they are still in command of commanders that are not aware of even their position. Now that Brigadier Lathbury is in hospital he suggested the following:

For now there will be 3 groups (4 if you count the Poles when they come next hour).
Group 1 will be commanded by Hicks, it will consist of the 11th Battalion, the 3rd Battalion and the 2nd South Staffordshire’s when they come.
Group 2 will be commanded by Hackett, it will consist of the 10th Battalion, the 156th Battalion, the Border Regiment and the KOSB.
Group 3 will be commanded by Dobie, and it will consist of the 1st Battalion, the 2nd Battalion and 2nd Company of Glider Pilots.
Group 4 will then be the normal Polish Brigade.
All remaining units, the Recce Squadron, the 1st Company of Glider Pilots, the Airlanding RA, the Pathfinders, and the little group of Dutch commando’s, will stay out of the frontline until they are really needed.

When the entire division is linked up there will be 3 groups (including the Poles)
Group 1 will be commanded by Hicks and will consist of the 11th Battalion, the KOSB, the 1st Battalion, the 2nd Battalion and the 2nd South Staffordshire’s. This group will then move to take control of everything from the road between LZ ‘S’ and LZ ‘Z’ and the Rhine near Den Brink and the western borders of Arnhem.
Group 2 will be commanded by Hackett and will consist of the 10th Battalion, the 156th Battalion, the 3rd Battalion and the Border Regiment, it will control the line from the road between LZ ‘S’ and LZ ‘Z’ and the Rhine near the eastern borders of Arnhem.
Group 3 will be the Polish Brigade and it will control the southern bank of the Rhine.

Now Hackett is at your HQ and as could be expected he would never agree to Hicks proposal, not only because Hicks would get more battalions then he would get, he also wants to breakthrough to the Rhine and the bridge first. Then, he said, further plans could be made. It might be better to direct the fresh Poles to the northern bank, and send the more weakened battalions to the southern bank. Also, he said, it would be wise to get to know what was happening in the other regions.
There were rumours that the Grave bridge was already taken at the first day, but nothing more of the south was known. If things went correctly XXX corps should be around Grave now and it should be here in about 24 hours, that would also mean that the entire Lowland Division would be flown in at Deelen and that your division could slowly retreat from the front and be directed to the south. But for now that wasn’t happening.

What was happening now was that the Border Regiment was moving south the western flank of the 156th Battalion to support it, the 10th Battalion was already fighting somewhere between the IJssel and the positions of the 156th Battalion.
But the 11th Battalion too came under attack. The Germans attack at their most western flank, with armoured cars and infantry, over the road Arnhem-Utrecht. These men weren’t the SS as the Germans in Arnhem, but this were all sorts of men, Wehrmacht, Dutch SS and forms of Luftwaffe soldiers.

No further news came from any of the other battalions, those in Arnhem were most likely in heavy fighting. Hackett told you about how Frost contacted him asking for all the artillery support he could give, and to direct the fire to the southern bank. Most likely Frost was about to mount another assault. But for now it was not known if this frontal charge on the bridge succeeded or not. If it did the Poles would be able to cross it and they could also help with grouping the division together again, if it failed the Poles would be in for a hard time when they would arrive next hour.

But for now other decisions had to be made

1. Hackett or Hicks
A. Agree with Hicks and reorganize the division
B. Agree with Hackett and wait till the division is linked up and see what you can do then.

2. The other regions
A. Keep trusting on the resistance for further communications. In Arnhem you can now contact every unit, be it going from one to the other, but the radio’s you use now can’t contact any of the American units.
B. Use the uncoded BBC radio, the antenna is 30 metres high, but it will most likely be able to contact other BBC radio’s in Holland.
C. Wait for the 2nd South Staffordshire’s, with them another radio set will arrive, using high secret code which can make contact with Browning only, maybe he is able to contact all others.

AggonyDuck
12-22-2006, 00:26
But for now other decisions had to be made

1. Hackett or Hicks
A. Agree with Hicks and reorganize the division

2. The other regions
C. Wait for the 2nd South Staffordshire’s, with them another radio set will arrive, using high secret code which can make contact with Browning only, maybe he is able to contact all others.