PDA

View Full Version : Non Forum mafia rules

Myrddraal
09-29-2006, 15:30
I've played in mafia games out of forums, in fact I think this game was simply adapted for forums and was original a 'wink murder' style game.

Mafia games were introduced to me in a drunk state on a tour of wales of all things. In this version the umpire selected two mafia by tapping them on the head with their eyes closed. The mafia would then wake up and point to someone to kill and go back to sleep. Then the umpire would make up the story and explain who had died and the debates began.

Unfortunately some of the games got a bit easy due to alchool (especially when one girl who was particularly pissed giggled uncontrollably when killing people) but it was good fun.

So why am I saying all this. Well in the version of the game I played there were two other 'characters' who aren't used in the forum versions that I've read.

The Doctor
Unknown, selects one person to save each turn. If the mafia kill that person, the doctor arrives on the scene just in time to save them.

The Whore
Again unknown to anyone.
The Whore chooses someone to sleep with each turn. If the mafia try to kill the whore, nobody dies and nothing is revealed of the attempt to the townsfolk. However, if the mafia kill the person whome the whore is entertaining, both he and the whore get killed.

I'm sure it's possible to invent more characters, but what do the mafia players here think of those two?

Sigurd
09-29-2006, 16:44
Both are used in Sasaki's game 'Gotta have more Mafia'

I have it as a sticky thread in my profile so I don't know if the game is visible amongst the others in the Gameroom.
All though Sasaki has not really revealed the use of those roles, I believe it works like this:

The doctor chooses a player he will save each night and if the mafia targets that person, that person is not killed that night.

The Prostitute (aka whore) chooses a player she will spend a night with. If she chooses a member of the mafia or any of the other players that is active during the night, she will notice that that player is not in bed that night.

Myrddraal
09-29-2006, 17:45
That sounds like a better take on the Prostitute/whore than the version I knew, since it can actually help you find the mafia. However I still like the rules in the version I knew (if you try to kill the whore she's not in and if you kill her lover she gets killed too). Maybe they could be combined?

Question is, is the doctor/detective out if she tries to sleep with them?

Myrddraal
09-29-2006, 17:54
I tried to come up with my own mafia characters. What do people think about these:

Bent Lawyer
Unknown to the townsfolk, known to the mafia.
Works for the mafia but doesn't know who they are. Can ask wether a person is the detective once per turn. If they find the detective they can inform the mafia through the moderator. There's no rules to stop the mafia killing the Lawyer, but they don't have to to win the game.

Another one I thought of:

Spy/Voyeur (similar to the whore, with a slight variation)
Unknown, civilian.
Chooses to spy on one person per night. If that person has a role to play that night, they don't find them but know that they've been out. If that person gets killed, they see the murderer! Can be killed just like any other.

And here's one I found on the net:

Masons
These are civilians who know who each other are. They are all innocent, and therefore know that their brothers are innocent. They cannot reveal to the townsfolk the identity of anyone in the brotherhood.

Sasaki Kojiro
09-29-2006, 18:09
The spy/voyeur role sounds nice, it's a good way to beef up the prostitute role which seems a little useless to me atm (especially since so many roles are up and about in my game). Could put pressure on the mafia to not kill someone obvious as they may be spotted. That's one I'd like to use sometime.

Lawyer sound similar to the "mafia detective" role I've heard of. Could be useful.

I used masons in my game as well, about 18 different roles in all actually. A fair number of them have been revealed through death, you can read the thread if you're curious (gotta have more mafia). I won't reveal all till the game is over of course.

Myrddraal
09-29-2006, 18:34
It seems it's hard to be original here, since almost every role has been thought of by someone. I found a spy equivalent:

The Little Girl can "peek" during the killing phase. This role is primarily found in werewolf-themed games, although other names for roles with similar abilities exist.

Another one (sounds fun but I'm not sure it would actually make the game more enjoyable)

Serial Killers are also more native to larger games. They are an independent role with a killing ability, like the mafia. They kill one target each night, and win if they are the last individual standing. It is rare for a serial killer to win the game, but can be especially prestigious.

Myrddraal
09-29-2006, 18:47
Plunging into the realms of fantasy:

Sleepwalker
Unknown to everyone except the moderator (even the sleepwalker doesn't know he sleepwalks)

If the mafia try to kill him/whore tries to sleep with him there's a 50/50 chance that he's out.

Can be investigated.

Purpose? Just to spread confusion amongst those who try to spy/kill him

Sasaki Kojiro
09-29-2006, 20:45
You planning on participating in any games Myrddraal? GH is starting one soon and I believe Kommodus is after Ultrawars and mine finish up.

I think Crazed Rabbit had fun with his serial killer role, though unfortunatly he got hit with some bad luck.

Orb
09-29-2006, 21:02
Well, I might host a variant if a gap appears, myself.

Orb's Mafia I: Citadel of Alamut

Myrddraal
09-29-2006, 21:32
I have to say I read the Godfather from beginning to end and was gripped all the way through.

I had a strong suspicion about GH but I never saw the twist comming. If SR is setting up a Godfather 2 with a new 'twist' I'd love to participate.

Silver Rusher
09-29-2006, 22:48
I have to say I read the Godfather from beginning to end and was gripped all the way through.

I had a strong suspicion about GH but I never saw the twist comming. If SR is setting up a Godfather 2 with a new 'twist' I'd love to participate.
Glad you liked it.

But I'm afraid it may be quite a while before the next one, if there ever is a next one. In the meantime, you may want to join GH's new mafia game. Lots of interesting stuff usually happen in his games.

Myrddraal
09-30-2006, 00:49
But I'm afraid it may be quite a while before the next one, if there ever is a next one. In the meantime, you may want to join GH's new mafia game. Lots of interesting stuff usually happen in his games.

Why would that be? What's holding you back? Looking for a new twist :grin: I can think of several :evilgrin:

I'll have a look at GH's game.

GeneralHankerchief
09-30-2006, 00:57
Why would that be? What's holding you back? Looking for a new twist :grin: I can think of several :evilgrin:

That mean you're signing up? edit: never mind. Welcome aboard!

Interesting ideas, btw.

Silver Rusher
09-30-2006, 10:11

Problem is, if we have more than a couple of games running at the same time the interest level plummets, so I take my place in the queue after GH, Kommodus (if he does one) and Sasaki.

In fact, I think I may start a thread about a queue for mafia games now.