PDA

View Full Version : Romani - AAR

Censor
09-30-2006, 22:28
Someone will have to enlighten as to what AAR means, but I'm reasonably sure that I know what I'm doing after sampling a few in the RTR forum and perusing Demetrious II's excellent work.

Hard/Medium difficulty. The recommendation is VH/M, but I've decided that fighting stack after stack isn't what I want to experience.

Rules:
1. Historical tactics. I've done a bit of research on the roman military background, and I'm going to attempt historical roman army composition and tactics.
2. No retraining, troops will be reinforced by merging units.
3. Fog of War is off. This makes it easier to play in the roman manner, that of intervention in foreign affairs.
4. The political positions are watered down, in reality consuls were elected once every few (two?) years, but we'll just have to use our imaginations for the purposes of this AAR.
5. Role-play. I will attempt to deal with things historically rather than treating this game as a game. Gifting provinces, obtaining protectorates instead of just conquering (which would seem to be far easier given the fight to the last sentiment of the AI).

Rome, Spring 272BCE
To Rome's northern frontier lie the barbarian tribes of Gaul, savage peoples that are embroiled in self-destruction. On the Dalmatian coast lies the Kingdom of Pyrrhus, dominion of the Epirots. Pyrrhus has turned his eyes on Macedon having been rebuffed by Rome a few years earlier. The once glorious Macedonians are poised to be once more, but not if the Greek allies hold together.
To the South lies Carthage, the descendants of Dido. Fables foretell war, but Carthage is not yet in the torchlight of Rome.

The wars with Pyrrhus have highlighted the need for Rome to unify Italy. With the agreement of the senate, Manius Curius Dentatus, leader of Rome, prepares to move on Taras with one consular legion and the young Caius Aurelius Cotta in tow. Cnaeus Cornelius Blasio marches from Arretium to Rome, assuming governorship, and his consular army goes to join Dentatus. Such news broods ill for Helenos Aikaides, son of Pyrrhus, and the Tarentines.
http://i10.tinypic.com/48xsps2.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/2cdbm7c.jpg X2

ElectricEel
10-01-2006, 12:49
Someone will have to enlighten as to what AAR means,
After Action Report.

CountArach
10-02-2006, 11:04
The political positions are watered down, in reality consuls were elected once every few (two?) years, but we'll just have to use our imaginations for the purposes of this AAR.

Once per year.

w00t another AAR to follow!

scourgeofrome
10-02-2006, 13:05
These AARs are really fun to read.ANd just so you know, I'm new around here.I mught try one of these if I can ever have the patience to try to get a campaign started (i have a bad habit of choosing a facton, play for a while, get bored, then quit and start another).

Zaknafien
10-03-2006, 22:24
congrats on your first AAR, scourgeofrome.

I've yet to do my first EB AAR, but am somewhat of a vet for other games on the genre.

There's a few different types of AAR, here's a broad categorization:

The History-Book AAR: reads like just that, a history book, the writer often tries to make his game read like a textbook of alternate history.

Example: "In the sping of 279, BCE, The Roman senate pleaded with their Consuls to make war on the Carthaginians. Fierce debate in the council halls resulted in heated arguments from both sides, yet in the end the exhortations of Marcus Publius Genericus won the day, and emissaries were sent across the straits of Messine the following week to seek audience with the Carthaginian Senate with terms."

The Narrative AAR: A story, with main characters, plots, and subplots based on the broad themes of the ongoing game--for example, Roman siege of Capua, the characters involvement in such, what they witness, etc.

The Combination: some AARthors begin their chapters with a history-book quote or section, then follow up with a narrative based on those events.

scourgeofrome
10-04-2006, 04:31
congrats on your first AAR, scourgeofrome.

Oh, I don't have one. I was just commenting on maybe doing one in the future. As soon as I have the patience to actually doing a campaign for more than a few turns. Right now I have a campiagn that I could use, but it would be short and kind of boring. I don't know how to do screenshots, plus I can't completely remember everything that has happened so far.