PDA

View Full Version : Economy problems?

Dampiel
10-01-2006, 15:42
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone else was having the economic problems that I do.
Almost every faction starts play loosing money.
The macedonians loose like 5-6k a turn at start, by the time I took Sparta and Athens, I was -30K+ in debt...

The army upkeep is the thing that causes debt. It does not seem unreasonalble except that the tax, farming and trade values of cities seem to be really small...

Let me know how all of you guys deal with this. All I could do was a bloody quick campaign to get several cities very quick at the start to begin a slow climb out of debt lol...

-Dampiel-

QwertyMIDX
10-01-2006, 16:51
This is intentional. Your choice at the start of a campaign is to use your standing army or disband most of it and try to build up your strating provinces. Incresed devlopment of starting cities and the new trade resources will probably help though.

Dampiel
10-01-2006, 20:49
I see.
That is an interesting approach. Why did they not simply give less starting armies and allow you to choose to either build an army or grow your economy. That would be a little more realistic that putting the known world in financial ruin at the start of the game... It might also have the effect of the computer AI attacking factions that it would not normally attack because A) It has a lot of troops anyway and B) It needs the money.
This might account for some of the AI problems people have mentioned with a faction either going insane and conquering all, or just sitting there doing nothing...

-Dampiel-

QwertyMIDX
10-02-2006, 00:45
Because in 272 most of our factions were engaged in fairly large scale military engagments and had their armies mobilzied. Those that didn;t tend to have fairly small military forces.

Ludens
10-02-2006, 15:39
Why did they not simply give less starting armies and allow you to choose to either build an army or grow your economy. That would be a little more realistic that putting the known world in financial ruin at the start of the game...
That would make it too easy for the player to overrun the poorly defended A.I. towns. The A.I. receives occasional cash injections to compensate for increased upkeep (and to make sure it techs up properly: the A.I. is rather stupid when it comes to building up an economy).

Dampiel
10-04-2006, 02:24
ok that makes sense then. I was worried that the A.I. would just stagnate in financial woes until you managed to come along and pounce on them.
Though playing as Rome, so far the only faction that I have seen make any kind of gains in 55 years is Makadonians. All other factions take maybe...one other city and then seem to just sit there and do nothing. Though I have not seen farther east than macedonia so I dont know what those factions are up too.

Discoskull
10-04-2006, 06:22
If you're not a purist, type " ~ " and then " toggle_fow " to see the rest of the map, if you're curious.

In my particular campaign, pretty much all the factions except the Yuezhi and Pontus have been throwing full stacks around and acting like rabid dogs, so...

Trithemius
10-04-2006, 09:49
If you're not a purist, type " ~ " and then " toggle_fow " to see the rest of the map, if you're curious.

In my particular campaign, pretty much all the factions except the Yuezhi and Pontus have been throwing full stacks around and acting like rabid dogs, so...

Yuezhi fullstacks seem like rubbish to me though, they are real paper-tigers and seem to break very rapidly.

scourgeofrome
10-04-2006, 17:15
What I want to know about the economy is how in one of my campaigns, the Mkedonians (with one insignificant settlement) are able to aford 1 full stack and 1 half stack.

Musopticon?
10-06-2006, 18:33
Because the AI receives cash injections from time to time. Specifically when they go into debt, they'll get around 30 000 mnai.

scourgeofrome
10-06-2006, 19:42
Because the AI receives cash injections from time to time. Specifically when they go into debt, they'll get around 30 000 mnai.

Now that is unrealistic.

Musopticon?
10-06-2006, 21:24
So are the movement amounts, it doesn't take a year to travel through Italy. So are a whole lot of other things.

But this stuff needs to be like this because of game balance. Sure, it might need a bit of adjustment, but we are talking about a game here, not a simulation.

scourgeofrome
10-06-2006, 21:35
As long as the computer is forced to disband some units,its find.But too much and the computer could buy armies with money you would struggle to get in the same situation.I just don't want the computer to have a way easier time than the player when it comes to finances.

Discoskull
10-06-2006, 21:45
Ah, but the fact that, on the battlemap, competant human generals will slaughter the AI 9 times out of 10, tends to make up for this. No?
Of course, stack after stack after stack of enemy armies does tend to wear me down after a while...

scourgeofrome
10-06-2006, 22:05
Well, I am not a completely competent general. I win more often,but the cost of building armies puts me in a financial straing while the computer is building them without even a single thought of the cost.

Pelopidas
10-07-2006, 11:20
Some reajustment, perhaps, but the IA is very very very weak...

Don't forget that with disbanding most of your armies you make grew up yourt owns.
After, with war losses and conquest, the financial situation get rapidly correct.

Concentrate on trade, mining ( Oh Pella my love... ) and farming.
Personnaly I build the first level of mine wherever it's possible, for 3333 Mn and 10 turns of building, it's very interesting.
The sea trade is a must ( in my actual KH campaign, in 198 my trade incomes are of 86 000... )

Generally my incomes are about 100k Mn per turn in 230, with an army upkeep of 60 000, but I have a very extensive use of mercs ( who didn't cost population so yours towns grows easier ) and simply can't resist the idea of building a strong navy ( virtually no use, but I'm a megalomaniac ! )

NeoSpartan
10-08-2006, 06:43
Well, I am not a completely competent general. I win more often,but the cost of building armies puts me in a financial straing while the computer is building them without even a single thought of the cost.

In that case: Learn, Adapt, and Overcome.