PDA

View Full Version : Celtic - Total War

Sun of Chersonesos
10-08-2006, 22:00
Hey i was thinking we could have celtic - total war and will include non celtic factions, but most of the focus on them.

Factions:-

Eire Superiore (North East, East and North)
Eire Meinore (South West,South and West)
The Highland Tribes
The Empire of Edinburgh
Teirnged Pen-y-Bont (Kingdom of Bridgend, south wales)
The Angleseyic Empire (north wales)
Great Buckinghamshire
The County of Lincolnshire
The County of Cumberland
The County of Wiltshire
The Cornish Rebels
Bretagne (brittany)
Galizia
The Basques
The Iberians
The Belgians
The Norwegian Empire.

Of course i will not be assisting to create this mod due to the fact that im no good at it, however this could be an idea for more of you technical people out there tally ho!

Sun

Gurkhal
10-08-2006, 22:03
The idea looks good, although what timeframe are you looking at?

Sun of Chersonesos
10-08-2006, 22:04
pardon? as in how long do i think it will take to develop it?

if so, we're looking at 13 months and a half but im not sure if thats silly because i have had no idea as to how much other games have taken.

IrishArmenian
10-08-2006, 22:13
He means in history.
I like it a lot and will probably sign up for it.
One thing though: I would scrap the Eire Superiore/Meinore and use Connaught, Munster, Leinster or Ulster.

Sun of Chersonesos
10-08-2006, 22:15
fair enough...

i was thinking of calling it

Medieval 2 Total War : Celtic Wars - The Unofficial Expansion

Maculio
11-18-2006, 14:35
Timescale hint, have it between around 1170's and start with the irish at war with the English, as this will give it some historical accuracy or you could start it in late 11th century or early twelfth an give the people time to build up.

Some ideas -
Implement some kind of high kings system, i don't know how but we could experiment until we find some way to do that, because the Ard Ri is a major part of dark ages irish myth and politics.

Remove the land bridge to scotland if you can, to allow the irish celts time to prepare for enemies before the scots walk in

The design of the campaign is important, i would go for a extended version the the VI map, going as far as the HRE and France. This is so England don't become some kind of super power. Or you could do a large map but that means making it very hard for the irish celts and the scots.(btw the scots aren't celts- they're Picti - latin for pictured people, cos they wore war paint :beam: )

If you do the msall campaign map you can implement the high kings system instead of the pope, and add in one army as the papacy at the start of the game ( i tested and my game crashes without the papal states :wall: :furious3: )

I'd be willing to help, i can script, make campmap (sorry for MTW1 terminology :dizzy2: ) and skin. amd of course being irish and proud i could research.:book:

Maculio
11-18-2006, 14:44
and as for names I was thinking Aetas Celtica : Total War - Age of Celts : Total War

Agraes
11-26-2006, 10:54
Doesn't it sounds a bit too "fantasy"? Well, it's personnal feeling, but there is so much to do with history - see Arthurian: Total War on RTW :2thumbsup:

(btw the scots aren't celts- they're Picti - latin for pictured people, cos they wore war paint )

It's much more complicated. The kingdom of Alba - Scotland - was founded in the XIth century as the union of the Gaelic kingdom of Dal Riada, Pictland, Brythonic kingdom of Strathclyde and English Lothian. On those 4 former kingdoms, 3 are "Celts", and Lothian was a Brythonic hold - Gododdin - till 638 AD. Unto Picts, they incorpore celtic elements - the Caledonians beaten by the Romans at Mons Graupius - and also older civilisation we don't know exactly come from. In any case, Pictish was a celtic language apparented to Gallic and Brythonic, P-Celtic, so that make them de facto Celts.

Darkarbiter
11-28-2006, 08:26
Hey i was thinking we could have celtic - total war and will include non celtic factions, but most of the focus on them.

Factions:-

Eire Superiore (North East, East and North)
Eire Meinore (South West,South and West)
The Highland Tribes
The Empire of Edinburgh
Teirnged Pen-y-Bont (Kingdom of Bridgend, south wales)
The Angleseyic Empire (north wales)
Great Buckinghamshire
The County of Lincolnshire
The County of Cumberland
The County of Wiltshire
The Cornish Rebels
Bretagne (brittany)
Galizia
The Basques
The Iberians
The Belgians
The Norwegian Empire.

Of course i will not be assisting to create this mod due to the fact that im no good at it, however this could be an idea for more of you technical people out there tally ho!

Sun

Are you saying you cant be bothered you dont have the time or you think you can't contribute anything? If its the latter heres a list of things you could do towards your mod:
-Text descriptions (if your creative or even if your not)
-Scripting isnt that hard to learn....
-Balancing
-Managing forums
-Taking screens (e.g. you might want to make custom load screens so you will want lots of pictures of units fighting battles... so even if your not the one photoshoping it its quite a job)
-Public relations (release of info etc)
-Managing mod members
-Beta testing

I'm a little confused about your time period though... You want to have a map
https://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8273/roughareadx3.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
something like that and yet you want to have civilised factions as a secondary note? Sounds a little silly... May i suggest you try an earlier timeframe if you want it to be barbarian/celtic focused?

Rhyfelwyr
12-01-2006, 01:27
It would be very difficult to have an early Medieval mod purely based on the Celts. It may be better to start around 800 AD, with just Britain and Ireland. Then, you could have a faction list along the lines of:

The Kingdom of Alba (northern Scotland, Celtic)
The Kingdom of Dal Riada (western Scotland, Romano-British)
The Kingdom of Strathclyde (south-west Scotland, Romano-British)
The Kingdom of Lothian (south-east Scotland, Anglo-Saxon)
The Kingdom of Northumbria (northern England, Anglo-Saxon)
The Kingdom of Mercia (central England, Anglo-Saxon)
The Kingdom of Wessex (southern England, Anglo-Saxon)
The Kingdom of Essex (south-east England, Anglo-Saxon)
The Kingdom of Cerniw (south-west England, Celtic)
The Kingdom of Powys (northern Wales, Celtic)
The Kingdom of Gwent (southern Wales, Celtic)
The Kingdom of Mumha (southern Ireland, Celtic)
The Kingdom of Laighin (central Ireland, Celtic)
The Kingdom of Ui Neill (northern Ireland, Celtic)
The Kingdom of Norway (Norway, Norse)
The Kingdom of Denmark (Denmark, Norse)

Thats 16 factions. I think this would be best starting off as a mini-mod. Get some base units for the Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Romano-British, and Norse cultures. I would be willing to help with research, and also have some skills with Photoshop for skinning, faction icons etc.

I'm also a member of Medieval Auctoriso, so I could check with the team and we should be able to share research, units etc.

Antagonist
12-01-2006, 14:23
Speaking from my limited experience from working with Arthurian: Total War, there's certainly enough diversity of units and factions etc. to make a Celtic mod, but finding an appropriate time-period might prove a little problematic. In particular it could be difficult to find a time-period in which all the "Celtic" peoples were equally active (the British kingdoms have been much reduced by the time the Viking raids in Britain really kick off, for example) Still, I'm sure a way can be found.

I actually mentally sketched out a Celtic faction unit list for a European fantasy/mythology mod, based mostly on mods like ATW and EB, with some mythological touches, but I agree that a historical approach would probably have more to it. Good luck, anyway.

Antagonist