PDA

View Full Version : Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia [Concluded]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kommodus
10-09-2006, 17:07
Prologue

Rays from the setting sun glinted off the high golden towers of the ancient gothic cathedral, brilliantly illuminating its stained glass windows. The view from the outside was enough to stop most people in their tracks and make them stand in awe; it was as if the spire was a shining tower of white-hot flame. Even in a northern city such as this, where fiery autumn sunsets were as common as the falling leaves, this particular evening delivered scenes of beauty certain to be remembered.

The few individuals gathered inside the cathedral, however, would see none of it. They were cut off from the sunlight, gathered in a long, narrow dining hall deep underneath the sanctuary. The only light illuminating their private concourse came from the dim chandeliers hanging over the table and the few candles in holders on the walls.

The man seated at the head of the table was a fearsome spectacle. An ancient man with thick silver hair and lean, rugged features, he emanated an aura of command, power, and purpose. Despite his age, he held himself perfectly erect, and in his eyes burned a fire not found in many far younger than himself. He was dressed impeccably in a fine white tuxedo, trimmed with blood red.

The men and women occupying other places at the table were listening attentively to the voice of the “patriarch.” About a half dozen in number, they were each identically dressed in sharp black suits. In the general public each would have cut a remarkable figure, but here, in the presence of their leader, they looked drab. They varied in age, but all were far younger than the man at the head of the table.

“…throughout our long centuries of existence, we have been misunderstood,” the patriarch was saying. “We have been feared, hated, hunted, and killed by the lesser men of this world, who see naught beyond their narrow vision. Always have we sought only to protect and preserve what is rightfully ours, and to occasionally guide and correct the development of the larger societies around us.”

“Without the subtle leadership we have provided, civilization would have remained mired in barbarity!” he continued, his voice thundering throughout the hall. “Yet all that is seen are the regrettable methods which we are forced to use to achieve our ends. No one sees the far greater evils that would be done were we to remove our influence.”

His voice grew quieter. “And that is how it must always remain,” he said. “You who are only now entering this family, the Cosa Nuova, understand the necessity of complete confidentiality. I do not need to remind you, for your education has long prepared you for this moment. Always remember it, for this is the day that you step out of the obscurity of the past and into the immortality that belongs to the Legendary – to those who have changed their world.”

He gazed slowly about the room, his eyes lingering on each of the neophytes. No one moved or spoke. The terrible silence dripped with anticipation.

Finally, he nodded. “It is time,” he said simply.

Having finished his speech, the patriarch rose swiftly from his seat; the neophytes quickly followed in unison. He turned and strode smartly to the end of the hall and through a high doorway there. The rest formed a single-file line and followed him through the door, the last turning to shut the double doors behind him.

The room in which they found themselves was dark and had a high ceiling. In each of the room’s six corners stood a high pillar reaching up into the darkness. The room was empty except for an ornate altar which stood at the far end, about waist-high. Resting on the altar were several burning candles, a short stack of small paper pictures, and a knife.

The aged man strode purposefully up to the altar and stepped behind it. The neophytes gathered around the front of the altar in a semi-circle, waiting several paces back.

The patriarch nodded to the first neophyte, who stepped forward and held out his right hand. He gave no reaction as his leader seized the knife and made a small cut on his pointer finger. Instead he calmly took the picture that was offered him and smeared some of his own blood on it. He gazed contemplatively at the picture for a few moments – it was of St. Augustine, his family’s patron saint. Deliberately, he held the picture over a candle until it caught fire.

The neophyte began to speak, his oath long memorized and painstakingly rehearsed. “I choose to enter this secret organization to protect my family and brothers,” he said. “I swear not to divulge this secret, and to obey with love and Omerta.” As he spoke, more and more of the image was consumed by the fire. He began quickly passing it back and forth between his hands to ease the pain of the burning. “As this saint burns – so will burn my soul if I fail to keep my oath,” he continued. “I enter alive into this organization and can only leave dead.”

As he finished, the last of the image was consumed by the fire, leaving only ash. He had suffered some burns on his hands, but still showed no reaction. Finally, he bowed his head and waited for the expected words.

He didn’t have to wait long. “Your oath has been heard, my son,” said the patriarch. “And it will not be forgotten. Your family is our family, and your fate is our fate, until death separates us.”

The neophyte stepped back to his original place in the semicircle, and the next stepped forward. The ritual repeated itself with exacting precision until all of them had bound themselves securely to the Cosa Nuova.

At last the solemn ceremony was complete. Before dismissing the newly initiated members, the patriarch spoke a few final words.

“A task of utmost gravity lies before us,” he said. “In a few days several of you will be chosen to carry it out. You will not know fear, pain, or regret, and you will not fail. You are Cosa Nuova.”

Welcome to Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia!

Basic Rules (for those who haven’t played before)

A small number of players will be selected at random as “Mafia.” The rest of the players are simple villagers. The goal of the mafia is to kill all of the villagers, while the goal of the villagers is to identify and execute the mafia.

The game progresses in turns. At the beginning of each turn, the mafia will send me private messages indicating who they wish to kill, as well as the method they wish to use. I will then post the kills in a story format. Everyone then votes publicly on who they think is guilty. At the end of a set period of time (approximately 24 hours after the kills are posted), the person with the most votes is executed.

The game progresses like this until either the mafia are all executed, or until all the villagers have all been killed.

How to Vote

As in other recent games, I expect you to vote like this: Vote: Kommodus. Please make your votes bold – that will make it much easier for me to tally the votes. If you don’t follow this method, I’ll still try to count your vote, but I can’t guarantee anything. If your vote gets missed because you didn’t follow this rule, there won’t be any recounts.

If you wish to retract an earlier vote and cast a new vote, please use the following format:

Unvote: GeneralHankerchief
Vote: Kommodus

Technically you don’t need the “unvote” part, but it makes it a little clearer to all the participants what you are doing.

How Many Mafia? And What Other Roles?

I’m going to keep this game simple, and largely similar to GeneralHankerchief’s tried-and-true formula. With apologies to those who like lots of roles, I don’t have the time or the private message box capacity to deal with too many.

The number of mafia will be determined after signups are complete. I’ll use a computer simulation to attempt to balance the game properly. It will probably be two or three at most. The number of kills the mafia are allowed to make per turn will also be determined this way.

Other likely roles include:

Detective: A villager who can “investigate” one player each turn and determine whether or not they are mafia.

Doctor: A villager who can “protect” one player each turn, preventing the mafia from killing that player.

Again, the existence and number of players holding each of the above roles will be determined by computer simulation after signups are complete.

What About Player Inactivity?

My rules will be clearly defined in this area. To prevent players from “lurking” and not participating in the discussion, anyone who misses three voting rounds in a row, or a total of five voting rounds throughout the game, will be ejected from the game. As you can tell, this is pretty lenient.

However, my method of getting rid of you won’t be the “Wrath of God” event that’s become popular in other games. Oh no – I’ll be far less merciful than that. I’ll most likely write a story in which you off yourself in a hilarious and idiotic fashion worthy of a Darwin award. Needless to say, you don’t want this, so please stay active. It’s more fun that way anyway.

If you don’t want to vote, but want to avoid this fate, simply do this: Vote: Abstain.

Other Rules

As per Sasaki’s suggestion, when you are claiming your role, you may not post screenshots. You can post quotes if you want, since everyone knows how easy those are to fake.

After you are dead, whether you are killed or executed, you may still discuss who you think is guilty. I find that this makes games livelier and more fun. Of course, you may not vote once dead.

If you are mafia, you may not reveal your role. You may not “confess,” as has been done in the past. If you are a villager and claim to be mafia, this will be an automatic suicide. See the section on player inactivity for your fate.

Enough Rules Already, Let’s Get Going!

To sign up, simply post in this thread and say you are interested! A number of people have already signed up; I’ll create a list shortly.

Currently Signed Up:

Big King Sanctaphrax
Cowhead418
Crazed Rabbit
Csar
Destroyer of Hope
discovery1
Divine Wind
Dutch_guy
Evil_Maniac From Mars
GeneralHankerchief
Glaucus
Peasant Phill
Sasaki Kojiro
Sigurd Fafnesbane
Silver Rusher
Orb
Byzantine Mercenary
AggonyDuck
King Henry V
Proletariat
Tiberius
Drisos
Sir Moody
Reenk Roink
Zalmoxis
ByzantineKnight
doc_bean
Xiahou
Kagemusha
Leet Eriksson
Seamus Fermanagh

Dutch_guy
10-09-2006, 17:27
If you are a villager and claim to be mafia, this will be an automatic suicide. See the section on player inactivity for your fate.

I understand this isn't exactly normal behavior, but why does it guarantee death ?

Other than that, great Prologue Kommodus :bow:

:balloon2:

Kommodus
10-09-2006, 17:30
I understand this isn't exactly normal behavior, but why does it guarantee death ?

To avoid the spoiler pointed out in Mafia IV, in which someone claims to be mafia, guaranteeing their innocence as the mafia are forbidden from revealing their role.

Silver Rusher
10-09-2006, 18:38
However, my method of getting rid of you won’t be the “Wrath of God” event that’s become popular in other games. Oh no – I’ll be far less merciful than that. I’ll most likely write a story in which you off yourself in a hilarious and idiotic fashion worthy of a Darwin award. Needless to say, you don’t want this, so please stay active. It’s more fun that way anyway.
Brilliant! :laugh4: I will be looking forward to this.

Very good write-up, by the way. I am also very much looking forward to other posts involving the story.

Orb
10-09-2006, 18:54
I'm in

Byzantine Mercenary
10-09-2006, 19:26
il join

AggonyDuck
10-09-2006, 20:04
Sign me up too. ~:)

Csargo
10-09-2006, 20:13
Excellent Prologue Kommodus very well written can't wait for this one to start. Do you have a time frame for people to sign up? Since I died in the last game I'm looking forward to being alive again.:2thumbsup:

King Henry V
10-09-2006, 21:58
Beam sign me up.

GeneralHankerchief
10-09-2006, 22:04
Wow, all I want to do now is dirty the leader's suit. :grin:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-09-2006, 22:10
Wow, all I want to do now is dirty the leader's suit. :grin:

That sounds suspicious.

Vote:GeneralHankerchief

Csargo
10-09-2006, 22:34
Vote:Sasaki Kojiro

Your always suspicious.:inquisitive:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-09-2006, 23:21
Vote:Sasaki Kojiro

Your always suspicious.:inquisitive:

Dude, don't be ridiculous, voting hasn't started yet.

Glaucus
10-10-2006, 02:01
I'm mildy certain he was joking.

Csargo
10-10-2006, 02:05
Kommodus you got me up there 2 times.

And yes I was joking Sasaki.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
10-10-2006, 02:08
Vote: Glaucus

Trying to defend your fellow mafioso? :inquisitive:

Avicenna
10-10-2006, 14:22
I'm in.

Is Infernal Affairs good? I've got 2 and 3 but I don't want to watch till I get 1.

By the way, do you have subtitles or voiceovers?

Drisos
10-10-2006, 16:28
Me too. :jumping:

:2thumbsup:

Proletariat
10-10-2006, 20:10
I'm new to this game, so if I suspect I'm getting singled out for being a noob staff member, I'm gonna edit anything the culprits post in the Entrance Hall with Keroppi gifs.

Nice intro, Kommodus! I'm excited.

:2thumbsup:

http://www.cicia.it/images/anikerow.gif

Sir Moody
10-10-2006, 21:13
sign me up kom

Divine Wind
10-10-2006, 21:24
Sure thing, where do i sign? :2thumbsup:

Avicenna
10-10-2006, 21:29
Sure thing, where do i sign? :2thumbsup:

Here, in fact.

Reenk Roink
10-10-2006, 22:45
Reenkazilla would like to join! :2thumbsup:

Zalmoxis
10-11-2006, 01:10
I want to join as well.

GeneralHankerchief
10-11-2006, 03:21
I just realized how... empty my life is without a mafia game going on in the Org.

How much longer until we begin? :juggle2:

Kommodus
10-11-2006, 03:40
Signups will be officially closed in 24 hours! If anyone wants to join, now is the time to do it!

(Note: After signups are closed, I'll still need a little more time to properly balance the game and send out the PMs... perhaps up to one more day, due to the programming involved.)

ByzantineKnight
10-11-2006, 04:04
Can I join?

doc_bean
10-11-2006, 09:09
sign me up !

Kommodus
10-11-2006, 14:07
BK and doc_bean, you guys are both in. :2thumbsup:

About 13 hours left to go, guys! Get your names in!

Silver Rusher
10-11-2006, 17:25
Suggestion: PM some of the old geezers from the good old days of Mafia II/III.

Kommodus
10-11-2006, 18:26
Suggestion: PM some of the old geezers from the good old days of Mafia II/III.

Ok, I've done it.

Xiahou
10-12-2006, 05:46
I'll take a crack at if I can still get in.

Kommodus
10-12-2006, 12:38
Due to the database crash I'm going to extend signups somewhat... many of my invitees haven't had a chance to read their PMs yet.

Avicenna
10-12-2006, 14:14
What about Mafia I? They'd work.. while not rambling on for pages and pages, which I like.

Ice
10-12-2006, 16:01
Sorry guys, I can't join this one. I'll be at another University "studying" (going to a football game and getting hammered) from fri-sun. Thanks anyway for the pm though!

Kagemusha
10-12-2006, 20:10
I think i could have time to play this one.Count me in.:bow:

discovery1
10-12-2006, 20:42
Sorry guys, I can't join this one. I'll be at another University "studying" (going to a football game and getting hammered) from fri-sun. Thanks anyway for the pm though!

Slippery illegitimate son. YOU CAN'T RUN FOREVER!!! I WILL HAVE MY REWENGE!!!!111oneoneone

Leet Eriksson
10-12-2006, 20:43
Sign me up!!!!!!11111111

Seamus Fermanagh
10-12-2006, 22:00
If any openings still exist, I will participate.

Kommodus
10-12-2006, 23:00
*** SIGNUPS ARE OFFICIALLY CLOSED ***

Thanks to everyone participating! Prepare for a great game of epic proportions!

Roles will be determined now.

Kommodus
10-12-2006, 23:54
Final Participant List:

AggonyDuck
Big King Sanctaphrax
Byzantine Mercenary
ByzantineKnight
Cowhead418
Crazed Rabbit
Csar
Destroyer of Hope
discovery1
Divine Wind
doc_bean
Drisos
Dutch_guy
Evil_Maniac From Mars
GeneralHankerchief
Glaucus
Kagemusha
King Henry V
Leet Eriksson
Orb
Peasant Phill
Proletariat
Reenk Roink
Sasaki Kojiro
Seamus Fermanagh
Sigurd Fafnesbane
Silver Rusher
Sir Moody
Tiberius
Xiahou
Zalmoxis

From these I will choose, at random, the following:

3 Mafiosi

The mafia will be able to kill 2 people each night, no matter how many are left. Naturally, as long as all three remain, they will have to communicate internally to decide who to kill. They will PM me with their kills each turn, including the target and the method of killing. However, I will not post the kills exactly as I receive them: I'll write them out myself, unless the mafioso sending the kill prefers it otherwise.

Mafia members are not allowed to kill each other. They are, of course, allowed to vote for each other.

2 Detectives

Each detective will be able to investigate one player per turn. They will work independently and will not know who each other are. Each night, they will perform their investigations by sending me a PM indicating the player they wish to investigate. I will respond with either a guilty or innocent verdict. When a mafioso is successfully investigated, I will also indicate which victims have been killed by said mafioso.

2 Doctors

Each doctor will be able to "protect" one player per turn. They will work independently and will not know each other's identities. They will do their work in the same manner as detectives: each night, they will PM me with the identity of the player they wish to protect. (They cannot protect themselves). The protected player cannot be killed by the mafia during that night.

When a kill is successfully blocked by a doctor, the story the following morning will reflect this - that is, you will see the attempted kill, and will know the target of it. Obviously, a player who has been unsuccessfully targeted by the mafia is innocent.

Time Limits

Each night, players with the above roles will have 24 hours to PM me with instructions. If I don't get a PM from a player within that time limit, they will be idle for that turn. If I am delayed in posting the results for some reason, they will be granted extra time. Extra time may also be granted at my discretion. This may happen occasionally, but shouldn't be counted on.

(Note that this time limit is designed to keep the game moving along. There's a fairly large number of players with roles, and inevitably some will be away from the Org for several days. I'm not holding up the game in that event.)

Soon, seven of you will receive PMs from me indicating your role. Obviously this is quite a lot of roles concerning my 40-message limit, so I'll be offloading PMs to my PC quite often. No spamming please. :2thumbsup:

That's it - good luck to everyone!

Kommodus
10-13-2006, 01:43
PMs have been sent. If you didn't receive one, you're simply a villager. Don't worry - you can still be powerful in influencing the game!

It is now night-time. The first 24-hour period begins now. If you have a special role, this is your time to PM me with your action.

Once again, good luck to all!

discovery1
10-13-2006, 02:47
VOTE: Reenk Roink

cuz he too goes to Ann Arbor! THE CHIEF CALLS FOR THE BLOOD OF OUR ENEMIES! DOWN WITH UoM!

Csargo
10-13-2006, 02:55
VOTE: Reenk Roink

cuz he too goes to Ann Arbor! THE CHIEF CALLS FOR THE BLOOD OF OUR ENEMIES! DOWN WITH UoM!

Ummm yeah I don't think were supposed to vote yet Disco.:inquisitive:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 02:56
Some people just don't learn lol. Don't you remember getting lynched for doing that last game disco?

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:03
Sasaki did you turn your invisiblity on again?:inquisitive:

GeneralHankerchief
10-13-2006, 03:03
I think his sig answers that one.

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:09
Didn't even see that what are you afraid of Sasaki?

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 03:11
I realized that if I'm ever in the mafia I'll want to use invisibility mode. Therefore I shall simply use it from now on whether I'm mafia or not, so that my being in invisible mode gives no indication of whether I'm mafia or not. I turned it on a couple days ago.

Obviously I'm not trying to hide it :p

discovery1
10-13-2006, 03:21
Some people just don't learn lol. Don't you remember getting lynched for doing that last game disco?

Are you setting me up as a scapegoat? Very suspicious. Hell, we should lynch you just because you insist on being invisible. You can always use that as a cover, so you are always a danger.

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:23
Are you setting me up as a scapegoat? Very suspicious. Hell, we should lynch you just because you insist on being invisible. You can always use that as a cover, so you are always a danger.

True dat

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 03:25

Your feuding is still perfect cover. You seem to be trying to redirect attention from this fact though.

BKS can see what I'm doing anyway (there are several other people who are invisible by the way). Like I said I turned it on a couple days ago.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 03:26
True dat

^^spam

Care to add more?

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:26
Your feuding is still perfect cover. You seem to be trying to redirect attention from this fact though.

BKS can see what I'm doing anyway (there are several other people who are invisible by the way). Like I said I turned it on a couple days ago.

I'm invisible too. So I can be just like you Sasaki the only difference is you can still see me.:2thumbsup:

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:28
^^spam

Care to add more?

Spam how I was agreeing with Disco? Why do you hate me?:no:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 03:32
Actually, considering how spoiled last game was, maybe everyone should go on invisible. Kommodus spent ages last game looking at peoples profiles. Could prevent game spoilers.

discovery1
10-13-2006, 03:35
Actually, considering how spoiled last game was, maybe everyone should go on invisible. Kommodus spent ages last game looking at peoples profiles. Could prevent game spoilers.

Wait, was THAT K's super power?

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 03:37
Wait, was THAT K's super power?

Yah. I would be looking at "who's online" and would see

Kommodus: Viewing user profile: Masy
Kommodus: Viewing user profile: CrazedRabbit
Kommodus: Viewing user profile: Cowhead418
Kommodus: Viewing user profile: ReenkRoink

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:41
Seems like that would eat up alot of your time. And you would be going off of a guess. But if that is what he did then good job.

discovery1
10-13-2006, 03:41
Yah. I would be looking at "who's online" and would see

Kommodus: Viewing user profile: CrazedRabbit
Kommodus: Viewing user profile: ReenkRoink

How perfect. And I will NOT go invisible. I encourage others to do the same.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 03:42
lol Csar I like the sig.

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:44
Nothing personal I just don't trust you. Probably never will.:inquisitive:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 03:46
Nothing personal I just don't trust you. Probably never will.:inquisitive:

omg I'm innocent wtf

discovery1
10-13-2006, 03:51
One second thought, I drop my vendette against Ann Arbor students.

DEATH TO THE INVISIBLES! and Masy if he;s playing.

Csargo
10-13-2006, 03:54
One second thought, I drop my vendette against Ann Arbor students.

DEATH TO THE INVISIBLES! and Masy if he;s playing.

Why do you hate me?

Crazed Rabbit
10-13-2006, 04:44
Hmmm, interesting info, Sasaki. In mafia III, as detective, I checked out people's profiles to see if there were online at all during the time the mafia had to have sent the PMs. If their last visit here was before the start of the game and the kills had been posted, they were innocent. But I've been too lazy to do it since. He could also be looking for people PMing others. Still, it seems unlikely that that was solely it - though short lengths of time between execution and the next kills would help eliminate suspects.

Longer rounds for people to send the PMs would alleviate this, and everyone going invisible would completely eliminate it.

Crazed Rabbit

Csargo
10-13-2006, 04:58
Being invisible has it's advantages and disadvantages.

discovery1
10-13-2006, 05:00
On second thought I won;t say this, but still

Don't make the waits longer

Csargo
10-13-2006, 05:01
On second thought I won;t say this, but still

Don't make the waits longer

What that makes no sense?

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 05:35
What that makes no sense?

He started to say something but decided not to.

Btw Csar, I like your sig, your custom title, and your location lol

Csargo
10-13-2006, 06:06
He started to say something but decided not to.

Btw Csar, I like your sig, your custom title, and your location lol

Well thank you Sasaki. I thought it was a bit over the top at first but then I thought you gotta advertise your suspicions somehow what better way then that.:laugh4:

Ignoramus
10-13-2006, 07:33
I've just come back from a camp, can I join.

Avicenna
10-13-2006, 08:06
Sorry Ignoramus, time's up. Last time someone joined after the time limit (DA in Mafia II) he was first round dead... so doesn't seem like a meaningful thing to do.

CR: as detective, I barely remembered to pm my investigations :embarassed:

doc_bean
10-13-2006, 08:29
The PMing can be beaten. Open the org twice, Open PM in the first, click whatever you want in the second, and your profile should only indicate what you've done in the second window.

You could also send in your kills before the voting has ended and then don't come online for a while (or don't sign on and do view the thread) until after the kills are posted. Or you could have another mafia member send in your kill and lay low for a while.

Most 'tricks' to seek out the mafia can be beaten and used to the mafia's advantage. :oops:

Sigurd
10-13-2006, 08:44
This is true doc.

I would like to add my experience to this.
It also helps if you have written what you want to PM beforehand. That way the actual PM process will be over within the timeframe of a few seconds. Open a direct PM link by clicking on the profile of an org.member paste in your PM, send and redirect to the backroom.

Also PM during low activity times. This would especially be during office hours in Europe.

If possible do your communication with your partners in crime via e-mail.
Personally I would have preferred if all game communication were done via e-mail due to the fact that we have several moderators as players.
This means all players registering into a game also must provide an e-mail address.
The risk of people not checking their e-mail is notable.

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-13-2006, 11:54
Me and Saskai actually have something of an unfair advantage, in that we can see when invisible users are online or not.

I will endeavour not to use it, for the sake of parity.

Sigurd
10-13-2006, 12:34
Oh, and please make this game thread sticky until it is finished.

discovery1
10-13-2006, 13:04
The PMing can be beaten. Open the org twice, Open PM in the first, click whatever you want in the second, and your profile should only indicate what you've done in the second window.

You could also send in your kills before the voting has ended and then don't come online for a while (or don't sign on and do view the thread) until after the kills are posted. Or you could have another mafia member send in your kill and lay low for a while.

Most 'tricks' to seek out the mafia can be beaten and used to the mafia's advantage. :oops:

It's generally a bad idea to give the mafia advice.

doc_bean
10-13-2006, 16:08
It's generally a bad idea to give the mafia advice.

Checking PMs and on line status etc are borderline cheating anyway. It also might be a way to beat Kommodus' system, since it seems to be based on user profiles.

GeneralHankerchief
10-13-2006, 17:49
Why are you people helping the mafia? It's not borderline cheating, the mafia just need to be more careful. And now, thanks to you, the methods of beating the system are out in the open.

I don't see why anybody in this game should be invisible. If you have nothing to hide, why not be out in the open?

Lord Winter
10-13-2006, 18:18
Oh, and please make this game thread sticky until it is finished.
you can sticky it yourself in thread tools.

Crazed Rabbit
10-13-2006, 19:20
GH, we're talking about the system Kommodus used to win MIV for the villagers in several turns, which he wouldn't reveal as he thought it too powerful.

Crazed Rabbit

Csargo
10-13-2006, 19:24
GH, we're talking about the system Kommodus used to win MIV for the villagers in several turns, which he wouldn't reveal as he thought it too powerful.

Crazed Rabbit

I think alot of his system had to do with watching peoples profiles.:inquisitive:

Why are you invisible Kommodus?

doc_bean
10-13-2006, 19:52
Why are you people helping the mafia? It's not borderline cheating, the mafia just need to be more careful. And now, thanks to you, the methods of beating the system are out in the open.

I don't see the problem, I only see this leading to better games.

Silver Rusher
10-13-2006, 20:15
I don't see the problem, I only see this leading to better games.
Exactly. If the mafia act more sensibly, the game can only become better.

Drisos
10-13-2006, 20:31
Exactly. If the mafia act more sensibly, the game can only become better.

Agreed with SR and doc. ~:)

I don't like the trics like looking at profiles etc... that's just not... hmm.. real. The game itself is nice, trying to find the mafia by reading the posts here carefully, but also noticing who didn't vote. analysing which people voted for which, who were killed and how. That's the real 'mafia game'. ~:) :book:

Anyway, the kills should be up soon.. right? said the same in Mafia IV and got suspected right away, but it's just true - the mafia are taking quite some time for their first kills. perhaps they're discussing strategy?:dizzy2:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-13-2006, 20:34
Agreed with SR and doc. ~:)

I don't like the trics like looking at profiles etc... that's just not... hmm.. real. The game itself is nice, trying to find the mafia by reading the posts here carefully, but also noticing who didn't vote. analysing which people voted for which, who were killed and how. That's the real 'mafia game'. ~:) :book:

Anyway, the kills should be up soon.. right? said the same in Mafia IV and got suspected right away, but it's just true - the mafia are taking quite some time for their first kills. perhaps they're discussing strategy?:dizzy2:

Agreed. And I think you'll get a pass this time Drisos :p

Silver Rusher
10-13-2006, 21:11
Well, Komm did say it would be 24 hours and (checks back at game start post) we still have about 3 hours left.

Kommodus
10-14-2006, 03:22
To answer two quick questions:

1. Kills will be a little late this time since a buddy of mine is getting married this weekend and I have some roles in the wedding (like playing guitar and singing - yikes!) This is a one-time thing; after this my schedule clears up a lot and delays like this won't happen nearly as much.

2. I've turned on invisible mode so that no one can get any clues from my own behavior, especially moderators who can see who I'm communicating with via PM. I know you wouldn't deliberately do this, but I'm just being careful.

Csargo
10-14-2006, 03:25

2. I've turned on invisible mode so that no one can get any clues from my own behavior, especially moderators who can see who I'm communicating with via PM. I know you wouldn't deliberately do this, but I'm just being careful.

Moderators can see what your doing invisible or not.:sweatdrop:

Kommodus
10-14-2006, 05:11
Ogunquit was the sort of town that almost anyone would want to live in, but that somehow managed to stay largely isolated – primarily because few seemed to know of its existence. This was largely due to the will of its inhabitants. Nestled into the granite cliffs on the Atlantic coast, this town’s name literally meant “beautiful place by the sea,” and those who lived there wanted to keep it that way. After all, who could blame them for not wanting to share the white beaches, colorful rock faces, and sparkling rivers with thousands of disrespectful outsiders? But more importantly, their values included peace, quiet, and their chosen way of life.

Nevertheless, like all towns this one experienced its own comings and goings. Occasionally someone discovered this tiny corner of paradise and managed to gain entrance. Once inside, the populace was actually quite welcoming, and most newcomers simply melted into the community. They were no more inclined to give away the town’s secret than the older residents.

Little did this peaceful town realize the horror that would soon envelop it.

It was on a fine Saturday morning that two of Ogunquit’s most respected members were strolling along the North Beach. Behind them, the sun was rising out of the mists far out to sea. To their left, high granite cliffs rose further inland, while to their right the waves of the ocean crashed against the beach, making their way far up the smooth sand.

The first man’s name was GeneralHankerchief. It was said that his ancestry could be traced back to the original founders of Ogunquit. The Hankerchief family had certainly been in town for as far back as anyone could remember – and for some, that was quite a long time.

The second man, Big King Sanctaphrax, was also an active leader in the community. Although a young man, he had shown great initiative and considerable concern for the town’s well-being. It was thought by many that public service was in this man’s future.

Neither of them had much to say as the ambled along the beach this particular morning. A simple morning walk for two such old friends was not an uncommon thing. Soon they would reach the footbridge that would take them back into town, where coffee and a hot breakfast awaited them.

By chance, GH happened to glance at his friend. He looked away, then sharply looked back – what had he seen? A tiny red dot was dancing around on the forehead of BKS! Shock and alarm crossed GH’s face.

BKS looked back and saw his friend’s alarmed expression. “What is it? What do you see?” he asked. Then suddenly he saw it as well – a tiny red dot moving slowly across GH’s chest!

Simultaneously, they realized what the red dots meant. “Take cover!” shouted GH, who tried to push BKS to the ground. “Look out!” shouted BKS, who simultaneously tried to shove GH out of the way. Needless to say, their attempted heroics interfered with each other, and neither achieved their intended goal.

The well-aimed shots that came from high above made no sound. Both bullets reached their intended targets at the same time. The two men slumped to the ground, killed almost instantly.

The shocking news of the double homicide traveled like wildfire through Ogunquit. This kind if violence was unheard of – things like this happened in big cities, not in tiny coastal towns! By evening, every single townsperson had gathered in the square before town hall. The mayor, looking flustered and overwhelmed, attempted to address the crowd.

“People, please… quiet down… listen to me!” he shouted through a bullhorn. Eventually he got everyone quiet, and began to speak.

“I know what you’re thinking,” he said. “You’re confused, and you want to know what’s happened. It would be easy to jump to conclusions, and to blame this on a vagabond of some sort – perhaps an escaped criminal. But unfortunately, things are not that simple.”

He paused and swallowed. “Our friends have been killed in a manner that is very professional. Sniper rifles of the sort used here are difficult to obtain, and just as hard to use properly. We are looking at the work of an organized criminal syndicate – most likely, the mafia.”

Whispers and murmuring spread through the crowd – confused, skeptical, and frightened. What could possibly have brought the mafia to Ogunquit?

The mayor cleared his throat. “In addition, we believe that the killers have been living among us for some time,” he said. “While I cannot disclose our evidence for this at this time, it is quite likely that the villains are people that we know – perhaps they are even here, listening to this, right now!”

Instantly the uproar returned, and it took the mayor several more minutes to regain the crowd’s attention. “We are taking measures to deal with this crisis,” he said. “I have instructed both of my detectives to investigate the case thoroughly. In addition, the town’s medical staff has been placed on high alert. The best thing you can all do is remain calm, cooperate with the authorities, and keep your eyes and ears open.”

Now there were dissatisfied, impatient grumblings from the crowd. No one liked the idea of leaving the killers at large while waiting for the police to finish the job. After all, were Ogunquit’s police really ready to take on a challenge as fearsome as the mafia?

“…absolutely ridiculous, I know who’s guilty!” came a voice from the crowd, growing louder. “Listen up, people! A guy just moved in next door. Quiet guy, keeps to himself mostly… ten to one it’s him!” There were shouts of approval to this, until someone else shouted, “What about that guy who lives up on the hill just south of town? We never see what he’s up to… I wouldn’t be surprised if the mafia came in and paid him off for this!” More approving voices.

“People, please!” shouted the mayor, trying to calm the angry crowd. “We won’t get anywhere with mob justice! Let the police do their work!” But he was shouted down by the people.

He stood there for a few minutes, looking defeated, as accusations were hurled back and forth. He had to find some way to bring the crowd under control before it tore itself apart.

“Alright,” he said quietly. No one heard. “Alright. ENOUGH!” he shouted into the bullhorn. This got the crowd’s attention, and soon the shouting stopped.

“Here’s how we’ll do things,” he said. “If you are all so certain you can bring the guilty to justice, you’ll get your chance. Each one of you may cast one vote for who you believe is guilty. Whoever receives the most votes will be executed by the will of the people!”

The people seemed satisfied with this. Somehow, many of them seemed confident enough in their own opinions to put someone to death. The mayor gazed at them in stunned silence. How had it come to this?

Nevertheless, he now had to keep his promise. One by one, the people came forward to cast their votes.

ByzantineKnight
10-14-2006, 06:56
Vote: Abstain

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 06:57
Beautiful write-up Kommodus. You really sets the tone well. Kudos, it will be interesting to see how the story develops.

I’ve actually been wondering if it mightn’t be in the towns best interest to abstain this round, if it’s allowed. Naturally we still want to get as much discussion in as possible, but mathematically we have a higher chance of killing a pro-town role than a mafioso. No harm in letting the detectives whoever they are get a few rounds of investigation in and let the evidence build for a few rounds before lynching for real. Odds are after a couple rounds the mafia will have killed one of the pro-town roles and then it will be in our favor to lynch again. Certainly we’ll still vote on people to get discussion going and maybe even lynch someone if they’re really suspicious.

Drisos
10-14-2006, 08:11
Perhaps it'd be better to abstain. Problem is, though, only one vote is needed to execute someone if no one else votes.

I've not seen anything suspicious in any post, really. And since the story is 'written' by Kommodus we only have the method as clue, and it doesn't tell us much.

At least for now.

ByzantineKnight
10-14-2006, 09:30
Perhaps it'd be better to abstain. Problem is, though, only one vote is needed to execute someone if no one else votes.

Yah, that would be good luck for the Mafia.

doc_bean
10-14-2006, 10:01
I'm not convinced this not voting will do us any good, it just gives the mafia more chances of killing the 'good guys' before they can get hurt....

I'm also rather suspicious you changed your mind about voting in the first round Sasaki ....

But until more people post, I'll wait before voting.

Silver Rusher
10-14-2006, 10:25
Yes, I'm not sure if abstaining this round would be such a good idea. But unless any decent evidence comes about, I guess that's what I will have to do.

Subject to change.

EDIT: Actually, if we do come to lynch somebody, I think it would be best to do it in this (http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/LynchAllLiars) fashion.

Sir Moody
10-14-2006, 11:09
Vote Abstain

ill play along for now as there is nothing to read in those kills - no clues at all

discovery1
10-14-2006, 11:19
And there never will be clue in the kills unless the mafia are completely incompetent.

Lets see, lots of players who are invisible and lots who are either actively helping the mafia or saying that doing so is a good idea. Terrible odds.

Vote: Sigurd

Only a mafia could possibly say such a thing w/o fear of getting axed plus I find it mildly more suspicious that he would chime then simply starting the conversation.

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 12:52
That’s a great write-up Kommodus. It really sets the tone well. Be interesting to see how the story develops.

I’ve actually been wondering if it mightn’t be in the towns best interest to abstain this round, if it’s allowed. Naturally we still want to get as much discussion in as possible, but mathematically we have a higher chance of killing a pro-town role than a mafioso. No harm in letting the detectives whoever they are get a few rounds of investigation in and let the evidence build for a few rounds before lynching for real. Odds are after a couple rounds the mafia will have killed one of the pro-town roles and then it will be in our favor to lynch again. Certainly we’ll still vote on people to get discussion going and maybe even lynch someone if they’re really suspicious.

So you are contradicting your own opinions from the previous games Sasaki.May i ask why is that?

Byzantine Mercenary
10-14-2006, 12:54
That’s a great write-up Kommodus. It really sets the tone well. Be interesting to see how the story develops.

i understand your resoning here but didnt you say that its always better to lynch in the last mafia?

Seamus Fermanagh
10-14-2006, 12:55
Smoothly written write-up, Kommo, makes me think of the Canadian maritimes. A good start, thanks.

Sigurd
10-14-2006, 12:57
And there never will be clue in the kills unless the mafia are completely incompetent.

Lets see, lots of players who are invisible and lots who are either actively helping the mafia or saying that doing so is a good idea. Terrible odds.

Only a mafia could possibly say such a thing w/o fear of getting axed plus I find it mildly more suspicious that he would chime then simply starting the conversation.

It is in the mafia's interest to getting as many people killed during a round as possible. They will push for a lynching and will try starting bandwagons. This makes you suspicious Disco.
If I vote for you and the rest abstain, we will probably be the only ones on a lynch list and the townspeople will be forced to revote with only you and I as candidates.
There are 4 pro-town roles and 3 mafia roles. The risk of lynching one of the pro-town roles is higher than lynching a member of the mafia.
I therefore choose to abstain.

Avicenna
10-14-2006, 13:46
Vote:Abstain

Kommodus
10-14-2006, 13:54
If you don't want anyone lynched this round, then please Vote: No Lynch. I guess I should've said that earlier. I'd rather not count abstains as anti-lynch votes.

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-14-2006, 14:58
Ouch. Being lynched in the first round doesn't feels good at all. I suppose it has to happen to someone, but still, it's not very pleasant. Cool way to go out, though-good write-up, Kommodus.

Just so the townspeople can correct the odds of lynching a pro-town role, I was one of the doctors. So the number of pro-town roles and number of mafiosi is now even.

GeneralHankerchief
10-14-2006, 15:00
Ha!

Hahahahahaha!

Thank you mafia, for knocking me off in the first round! You have just made a great mistake, for now the villagers know I'm an innocent and thus can absolutely trust me!

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine..."

Proletariat
10-14-2006, 15:08
This is silly, let's string someone up.

Vote: Disco

My vote is mainly influenced by discussion in the chat, and Disco's take on invisibility mode.

"IF UR INVISIBLE UR MAFAIA!"
"IF YOU TAKE OFF INVIS UR M@FIA"

GeneralHankerchief
10-14-2006, 15:15
This is true doc.

I would like to add my experience to this.
It also helps if you have written what you want to PM beforehand. That way the actual PM process will be over within the timeframe of a few seconds. Open a direct PM link by clicking on the profile of an org.member paste in your PM, send and redirect to the backroom.

Also PM during low activity times. This would especially be during office hours in Europe.

If possible do your communication with your partners in crime via e-mail.
Personally I would have preferred if all game communication were done via e-mail due to the fact that we have several moderators as players.
This means all players registering into a game also must provide an e-mail address.
The risk of people not checking their e-mail is notable.

It's common knowledge that mafia make the most mistakes in the early rounds. And I think he has just made a huge one.

I don't care how interested you are in keeping this system (if it even is Kommodus' system) out of everyone's hands. Because nobody - NOBODY - would help out the mafia THIS much THIS early in the game unless they were mafia. It's Sigurd.

Seamus Fermanagh
10-14-2006, 15:40
Hmmm.

BKS' demise is a harsh blow to local medicine -- and "evens up" the mathematics on the lynch/no lynch question.

Disco' nominated Sigurd, breaking the Abstention trend. Sigurd Abstained, but noted that one vote for Disco' would result in a tie-breaker. Prole' has provided that vote.

Two neat and professional killings.

One, an .org moderator with "special powers" and
within the game a doctor (claimed, but BKS has no reason to fib here), now terminally lead-poisoned.

The second, Hanky, is an active .orgah, and
within the game ("pre-dawn" portion) was the only person to voice a complaint about the inadvisability of helping the mafia with tactics -- and caught a bullet.

Since I think it unlikely, at least at this juncture, for 2 of the mafiosi to have whacked the 3rd as a red herring (if such is even legal), we are down 2 townies and no longer have a 4/3 advantage in "actives." A harsh dawn.

My vote is, for the moment, not to lynch....but I am undecided.

VOTE = No Lynch

Silver Rusher
10-14-2006, 15:54
It's common knowledge that mafia make the most mistakes in the early rounds. And I think he has just made a huge one.

I don't care how interested you are in keeping this system (if it even is Kommodus' system) out of everyone's hands. Because nobody - NOBODY - would help out the mafia THIS much THIS early in the game unless they were mafia. It's Sigurd.
Oh, come on. How helpful really is that information? All he did was give out a few techniques to stop PM watching - stopping something which is almost completely useless, in fact, when the mafia are probably going to handle it very well anyway.

Giving the mafia tips like these won't make a townspeople victory any less likely.

GeneralHankerchief
10-14-2006, 16:14
Oh, come on. How helpful really is that information? All he did was give out a few techniques to stop PM watching - stopping something which is almost completely useless, in fact, when the mafia are probably going to handle it very well anyway.

Giving the mafia tips like these won't make a townspeople victory any less likely.

Gentlemen, does this post remind you of anything we've seen recently?

Way to be totally sketch. YOu make me wish I set you as my target rather then Ice. You both side with him AND put forward the weakest of arguements.

This was immediately after Kommodus had just named Masy as a mafioso.

Anyway Silver, it was not just a few techniques, it was a total step-by-stop process of how to elude detection. I think you'll find that had Sigurd not posted it, at least one mafioso would have been caught that way.

Divine Wind
10-14-2006, 16:22
Im not suspicious of anyone so far.

Vote: No lynch

Glaucus
10-14-2006, 16:32
None of this evidence is strong... so unless anyone has who has voted for someone thus far can back it up with sound evidence, then I shall not vote vote.

Vote: No-Lynch

doc_bean
10-14-2006, 16:54
Come on GeneralH, if Sigurd was mafia don't you think he would have kept his techniques to himself ? Lots of people can be fooled by cleverly using your PMs/profile, it's one of the first things people look at, certainly at the start of the game. Besides, *I* started giving the mafia advice, although he added a few very clever touches. You opposed us doing this and now you're probably just voting for him since you're still angry about it (why else bring something up before the kills were in ?).

I'm going to go with Vote:Sasaki , since he changed his mind about the best opening strategy, although what he said does seem to make sense, it's also an easy way for the mafia to escape prosecution, and kill two other villagers tonight. And the odds of voting for a helpful villager will remain against us until they finally kill a helpful villager themselves. Which we wouldn't know anyway, unless Kommodus posts roles with the kills (I don't think so ?). So when are we going to start hanging people ? There is no way of knowing the opportune time ! Besides, abstaining is also the perfect cover for a mafia member, they don't have to vote, so they won't piss anyone of, somebody else is bound to vote (it already happened before this post) so someone is bound to get killed, if one of their own is at risk they can easily bandwagon someone else since the total amount of votes will be low and if this doesn't happen they can just lay back and claim there isn't enough evidence to vote on. Not much said, not a big chance of screwing up.

Citizens of Ogunquit, it is your democratic duty to vote ! :knight:

Drisos
10-14-2006, 17:46
I fully agree with Sigurd F.

Vote: No Lynch

I'm starting to feel suspicious about people though..:book:

Crazed Rabbit
10-14-2006, 17:59
So, one for Disco, Sigurd, and Sasaki?

I'm skeptical of Sigurd being mafia because of his post. Couldn't he just have PMed his fellow mafiosos if he were mafia?

Disco is somewhat suspicious because of his post. And, he wasn't killed the first round, and taking past games that means he's probably a mafioso. ~:p

Sasaki was for lynching of abstainers when he was the 'evil mastermind' in Silver's game and started a bandwagon on me. Any opinion he gives on the matter is suspicious.

Most likely, though, is that the mafia is going to post short, unprovoking posts.

Vote: ByzantineKnight

His first post after the kills is just a vote to abstain.

And then,

Yah, that would be good luck for the Mafia.

Remember how at the begining players will give subtle hints about their roles? (think Sasakis many-role mafia and Reenk, whoever was the doctor, and Ignoramous in Silver's mafia)

Crazed Rabbit

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 18:31
Im going to vote Sasaki also. For once we have a certain glue when Sasaki is contradicting himself and then towns people start voting no lynch.Each round we have the possibility to lynch a Mafia member.If we do nothing we dont have anykind of possibility to kill the Mafiosos.Gah!:wall:

Sir Moody
10-14-2006, 18:39
Im going to vote Sasaki also. For once we have a certain glue when Sasaki is contradicting himself and then towns people start voting no lynch.Each round we have the possibility to lynch a Mafia member.If we do nothing we dont have anykind of possibility to kill the Mafiosos.Gah!:wall:

agreed but all we can do is guess at this stage and so the chances are who ever we lynch will be non-mafia

UnVote Abstain
Vote No Lynch

Sigurd
10-14-2006, 18:58
Gentlemen, does this post remind you of anything we've seen recently?

This was immediately after Kommodus had just named Masy as a mafioso.

Anyway Silver, it was not just a few techniques, it was a total step-by-stop process of how to elude detection. I think you'll find that had Sigurd not posted it, at least one mafioso would have been caught that way.
It would not be logical for me to advice the mafia in public if I were one of them. I would have shared this in private.
I like doc_bean felt the monitoring of profiles is a show stopper in this kind of game (few roles).
I’ll bet he did some monitoring during ‘Gotta have more mafia’. I sure did.

Besides the advice was also directed at our 4 town-pro roles.
The Mafia is likely to monitor all of our profiles to dig out the detectives and the doctor(s).

Seamus gives us an interesting theory though. It would be so GH to orchestrate his own death to prove his innocence and lead us all astray during the rest of the game, a brilliant plan that could have ensured mafia victory. Let’s hear from Kommodus if it is possible for mafia to kill one of their own. If it is, this should be considered.

Crazed Rabbit
10-14-2006, 18:59

You do realize sasaki is contradicting himself from when he was a mafioso mastermind?

Crazed Rabbit

Sigurd
10-14-2006, 19:08
If you don't want anyone lynched this round, then please Vote: No Lynch. I guess I should've said that earlier. I'd rather not count abstains as anti-lynch votes.
Alright, Vote: No Lynch

Reenk Roink
10-14-2006, 19:26
Reenkamus sees no worthy evidence to execute anyone... He abstains, courteously... :bow:

(Vote: Abstain/Vote: No Lynch) I'm confused on the difference...

Orb
10-14-2006, 19:32
Vote: Orb

Ten days in Naples ~:)

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 19:33
I'm not convinced this not voting will do us any good, it just gives the mafia more chances of killing the 'good guys' before they can get hurt....

I'm also rather suspicious you changed your mind about voting in the first round Sasaki ....

But until more people post, I'll wait before voting.

So you are contradicting your own opinions from the previous games Sasaki.May i ask why is that?

I'm going to go with Vote:Sasaki , since he changed his mind about the best opening strategy, although what he said does seem to make sense, it's also an easy way for the mafia to escape prosecution, and kill two other villagers tonight. And the odds of voting for a helpful villager will remain against us until they finally kill a helpful villager themselves. Which we wouldn't know anyway, unless Kommodus posts roles with the kills (I don't think so ?). So when are we going to start hanging people ? There is no way of knowing the opportune time ! Besides, abstaining is also the perfect cover for a mafia member, they don't have to vote, so they won't piss anyone of, somebody else is bound to vote (it already happened before this post) so someone is bound to get killed, if one of their own is at risk they can easily bandwagon someone else since the total amount of votes will be low and if this doesn't happen they can just lay back and claim there isn't enough evidence to vote on. Not much said, not a big chance of screwing up.

Citizens of Ogunquit, it is your democratic duty to vote ! :knight:

Nope I wasn't contradicting myself. Last game, any small chance at taking a mafioso was worth it (we had 2 mafia and 1 detective). This game (when I posted) we had more power roles than mafia, so a random lynch was obviously not to our advantage. I was also interested to see who would try and lynch anyway. The two of you seem quite eager.

Now that we only only have 3 roles it is in our best interest to lynch. There's been to little discussion I think.

Vote:Disco for being the first to vote (even before BKS had posted). Eager to lynch someone = mafioso in my book.

King Henry V
10-14-2006, 19:44
Vote: Orb

Ten days in Naples ~:)
I also have a holiday starting on Wednesday, so:
Vote: King Henry V

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 19:45

Um, GeneralH, I have to say this argument doesn't make much sense. If Sigurd were a mafioso he would have just pm'd those techniques to his fellow mafioso, not posted them in the thread. I also think any fan of the game would be pleased that the mafia aren't going to be caught by watching pm's. It's lame, and ended Mafia IV far too soon.

This brings back memories of last round. You've been proved innocent so I know you mean well, but it's impossible to be certain of mafia first round. Especially Sigurd, who showed himself to be so crafty in Gotta have more Mafia. And btw, several other people have said things similar to Sigurd. It helps the mafia sure, but it makes the game more enjoyable for all. I personally wouldn't want to find the mafia through anything I couldn't do in the thread itself.

Also, like the star wars reference :P

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 19:55
So Sasaki. First you tell everybody not to lynch in the first round and Sigurd bandwagons you on that. Then me and doc_bean find it odd and suspect you.Then you change your attitude and vote Disco so you get even in votes with him.After you change the subject and you defend Sigurd from the accusations of Hanky,which are quit correct. To me you are only acting more suspicious and also casting a shadow on Sigurd.:inquisitive:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 20:01
So Sasaki. First you tell everybody not to lynch in the first round and Sigurd bandwagons you on that. Then me and doc_bean find it odd and suspect you.Then you change your attitude and vote Disco so you get even in votes with him.After you change the subject and you defend Sigurd from the accusations of Hanky,which are quit correct. To me you are only acting more suspicious and also casting a shadow on Sigurd.:inquisitive:

This is filled with bad logic and half truths.

First of all, do you agree with me that when there were 4 power roles it was to our advantage to vote no lynch? Answer please.

Do you see how this is a markedly different situation from last game? Answer please.

Once you've answered those two I'll get to the rest of your post.

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 20:08
I know exactly how many roles are in this game. There is no reason to insult my intelligence over this game. Its just wierd that you are protecting Sigurd from someones accusations who we all know for sure is innocent(Hanky). Ive also played this game couple times, you know.What a better way to start the game by acting up that you are helping the towns folk.Perfect cover for Mafioso me thinks. Im going to vote you becouse of the fact you have been the most suspecious player on the first round and others should do it also.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 20:13
I know exactly how many roles are in this game. There is no reason to insult my intelligence over this game. Its just wierd that you are protecting Sigurd from someones accusations who we all know for sure is innocent(Hanky). Ive also played this game couple times, you know.What a better way to start the game by acting up that you are helping the towns folk.Perfect cover for Mafioso me thinks. Im going to vote you becouse of the fact you have been the most suspecious player on the first round and i others should do it also.

I asked you to answer the questions because they are the foundation of your case against me. You refuse to answer.

You seriously think it's weird that I would defend sigurd against accusations from the dead? Weren't you there last game when the dead went against me with full blast with an argument no more convincing than GeneralH's? I don't want that to happen to anyone.

What better way to play a towns folk than to help the towns folk?

In the interests of self preservation I'm going to keep my vote on Disco for now (he is also acting quite suspicious imo) but I do find you the most suspicious. It seems like you saw how popular a choice I was last game and are trying to get me lynched.

I'm sorry if you interpreted that as insulting your intelligence m8, I didn't mean it like that.

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 20:17
Lets see what the townfolks think.Voting Disco is large part of the suspicion that lurks around you.No offence taken.:bow:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 20:22
Lets see what the townfolks think.Voting Disco is large part of the suspicion that lurks around you.No offence taken.:bow:

No worries m8. He's more likely to be mafia than me, so a vote for him to save myself makes sense. Hardly suspicious.

AggonyDuck
10-14-2006, 20:53
I'm not really sure whether to vote on someone or vote for no lynch. Thus I will just do this:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 21:06
Reenkamus sees no worthy evidence to execute anyone... He abstains, courteously... :bow:

(Vote: Abstain/Vote: No Lynch) I'm confused on the difference...

As I understand it, the difference is that if everyone abstains except for one person who votes for say, Reenk Roink, then RR will be executed. OTOH if a bunch of people vote No Lynch then no one will be lynched.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 21:08
As I understand it, the difference is that if everyone abstains except for one person who votes for say, Reenk Roink, then RR will be executed. OTOH if a bunch of people vote No Lynch then no one will be lynched.

Hey I just noticed that actually.

Unvote:Disco
Vote:Kagemusha

There are 5 no lynch votes, easily in the majority, so I can move my vote off Disco.

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 21:32
Kommodus does No Lynch mean that there will be no lynch at all,or that the people are just not voting anyone?

Edit: Sasaki,Sasaki my friend why are you now supporting the no lynch crowd just a little while a go you changed your mind so that you believed that a lynch would be a good thing for the town. People take the hint.Sasaki is a Mafioso and im not kidding around.

Peasant Phill
10-14-2006, 21:50

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 21:55
Ok.I didnt want to do this but becouse nobody can see the obvious hints.I have to blow my cover. Im a detective and i checked Sasaki Kojiro on the first round and by luck i hit the nail in the head. Here is the pm:

Your investigation reveals that Sasaki Kojiro is guilty!

Great!
I would like to investigate Sasaki Kojiro for the first round.

Cheers,

Kage

Happy know? I hope that the Doctor saves me the next night.Sasaki is a Mafioso and look carefully now who others could be his mafia fellows.Read the start of the thread and atleast Sigurd and Sasaki seems to be cooperating.:bow:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 22:01
HAH! I wondered if a mafioso would be so foolish. I'm one of the real detectives.

Congratulations, you have been randomly selected as a detective in Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia!

Instructions: Each night, you may choose one person to investigate. I will tell you whether that person is innocent or guilty.

If you die you can still participate in the game, however you will not be allowed to post who you investigated. Also, remember that posting of screenshots to prove your role is not allowed.

You have 24 hours each night to send me your choice for investigation. That time limit begins now, although I will probably extend it the first night to give people a chance to get settled in and ask any questions.

Here's my pm, notice Kage didn't bother to include his, wasn't up to faking it I suppose. Of course now he doesn't have too, but whatever.

You can see my first investigation result encoded in my post after the first kills. I was going to do that each day so that when I died the town would have the information.

Kagemusha has rashly decided to claim cop, after all the detectives don't know who eachother are so he can't be disconfirmed by them right away. He hopes to gain the towns trust and distract the doctors. Don't let this happen. I encourage the other real detective to investigate us both and see who is telling the truth.

GeneralHankerchief
10-14-2006, 22:04
Fake. (Kage's that is)

Kommodus would have told you who Sasaki killed.

Proletariat
10-14-2006, 22:04
Hm.

Xiahou
10-14-2006, 22:05

Now that's suspicious.

Vote:disco

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 22:06
Well you guys see it in the end of the game but Sasaki is playing you right now.Take in consideration that i have two times won this game as Mafia.Why would i now draw attention to myself. If you dont believe me then i know one person with Assasin robes who gets a great laugh at the end of the game.
Edit: Im also ok if other detective looks at me,but that only will result that its a waisted check.Sasaki is showing you guys his notification of beeing one of the Mafia members.He has only changed one word.

GeneralHankerchief
10-14-2006, 22:09
Well you guys see it in the end of the game but Sasaki is playing you right now.Take in consideration that i have two times won this game as Mafia.Why would i now draw attention to myself. If you dont believe me then i know one person with Assasin robes who gets a great laugh at the end of the game.

Sorry Kage, I highly doubt that. Your PM is clearly faked (wow, Kommodus uses the exact same way of telling the Detective that someone's guilty that I do!), and there's no reason to fake a Detective PM except if you're mafia. You also flat-out asked for Doctor protection. Not cool.

My guess is that you want to discredit an influential person and make all of his posts suspect.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 22:12
Edit: Im also ok if other detective looks at me,but that only will result that its a waisted check.Sasaki is showing you guys his notification of beeing one of the Mafia members.He has only changed one word.

Oh really? Only one word huh? So tell me, was that one word "detective" or was it "investigate"? How about the bit where I'm not allowed to post who I investigated after I'm dead? What one word was changed there?

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 22:13
Well do what you want but im beeing honest.I know at last game i messed around just to get myself killed,but now im not.There is nothing else here then my word against Sasakis. He is a Mafioso.

doc_bean
10-14-2006, 22:20
HAH! I wondered if a mafioso would be so foolish. I'm one of the real detectives.

Here's my pm, notice Kage didn't bother to include his, wasn't up to faking it I suppose. Of course now he doesn't have too, but whatever.

Right. If we would follow his advice and kill you, he would have been exposed as a fraud and we would have killed him next round, that makes no sense. Your defense seems to suffer from the same problem, but then it might be a desperate last stand...

I say we lynch at least one of you !

Nope I wasn't contradicting myself. Last game, any small chance at taking a mafioso was worth it (we had 2 mafia and 1 detective). This game (when I posted) we had more power roles than mafia, so a random lynch was obviously not to our advantage. I was also interested to see who would try and lynch anyway. The two of you seem quite eager.

I'm always eager for a kill, you should know that by now :laugh4:

But onto your argument: who's to say the mafia hasn't already gotten one of the good guys ? Who's the say the odds haven't turned in our favour already ? And what about next round, two more people will be dead, will it be in our interest to lunch people then ? Yes/No ? The odds would probably still be against the good guys. Now we have a chance of killing a mafia member, tonight's victims will surely be innocents...

Besides, active debate sometimes makes the mafia make mistakes (like not participating, or saying too much, it's win-win for the townies) AND it allows the detectives to be subtle, with few people posting/voting, those that do and point out the right people will immediately become targets.

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 22:23
Doc makes a good point there.Lynch as both if you dont believe me.Atleast you get one Mafia member that way out of the game.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-14-2006, 22:25
I'm always eager for a kill, you should know that by now :laugh4:

But onto your argument: who's to say the mafia hasn't already gotten one of the good guys ? Who's the say the odds haven't turned in our favour already ? And what about next round, two more people will be dead, will it be in our interest to lunch people then ? Yes/No ? The odds would probably still be against the good guys. Now we have a chance of killing a mafia member, tonight's victims will surely be innocents...

Besides, active debate sometimes makes the mafia make mistakes (like not participating, or saying too much, it's win-win for the townies) AND it allows the detectives to be subtle, with few people posting/voting, those that do and point out the right people will immediately become targets.

I'm all for active debate, I made that clear. After 3 rounds of kills from mafia they would most likely have killed a pro-town role (31 players 3 mafia, so 4/28 or 1/7 chance each kill) and then we could go lynch. Since BKS was a doctor it is now in our advantage to lynch.

Divine Wind
10-14-2006, 22:31
Well we clearly now know either Kage or Sasaki is one of the Mafioso.

With Sasaki changing his vote to Kage through his suspision of him, and Kage having the knee jerk reaction of trying to save his own skin by claiming he is one of the detectives, it does seem to me that Kage is one of the Mafioso.

However as Sasaki has proven in the past, he can talk a good game, so if we lynch either Kage or Sasaki, then the other detective, MUST investigate the other person.

Therefore im changing my vote from:

Unvote: No Lynch
Vote: Kagemusha

AggonyDuck
10-14-2006, 22:33
I'm going to trust Sasaki Kojiro here and change my vote.

Unvote: Abstain

Proletariat
10-14-2006, 22:35
I'm thinking Kage because of the above mentioned knee jerk reaction.

Unvote: Disco
Vote: Kage

Csargo
10-14-2006, 22:38
I know this goes against everything I stand for but my vote is for:

Kagemusha
10-14-2006, 22:41
As i sayed before.Lynch me now if you dont believe me.But lynch Sasaki the next round so you get him if im lynched innocent. Read the thread through.I tryed to hint you over and over again that Sasaki is a Mafioso. I started the talk with him and he got sucked into it.Just like i started babling and Disco got sucked into it too the last game. If there is one weakness in the mafia its that they are active always. Now if you lynch me and think that the other detective will tell you the truth next round the Mafia will try to tarnish that detective too. Do what you think is best but if you lynch me lynch Sasaki the next round.

Reenk Roink
10-14-2006, 23:19
Reenkaxix is extremely intrigued at the recent developments.

Sasaki does have the stronger story (plus he clarified the abstain/no lynch problem) but it is not conclusive enough to vote against Kage due to the standards of Reenk.

He will continue to abstain, courteously... :bow:

(not a No Lynch vote, frankly, there should be a lynch every round and abstaining [courteously] should be the only way to remain neutral)

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-14-2006, 23:55
Sasaki's PM looks legit, I have to say. It's pretty much the same as my Doctor one, but with a few words changed round-

Originally Posted by Kommodus
Congratulations! You have been randomly selected as one of the doctors in Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia!

Instructions: Each night, PM me with the identity of a player you wish to protect. That player cannot be killed by the mafia. If they are targeted, the kill will fail and the morning’s story will reflect this. Note that you cannot protect yourself – if you attempt to do so, you will be assumed to have been idle during the night.

Be careful when and how you choose to reveal your identity. It may make you a target for the mafia.

You have 24 hours each night to send me the identity of the player you wish to protect. That time limit begins now, although I will probably extend it the first night to give people a chance to get settled in and ask any questions.

So, I think we can conclude that he is either the detective, or the Mafia.

Csargo
10-15-2006, 00:27
Wait nevermind I just realized something.

Cheers

Xiahou
10-15-2006, 00:49
Well we clearly now know either Kage or Sasaki is one of the Mafioso.

With Sasaki changing his vote to Kage through his suspision of him, and Kage having the knee jerk reaction of trying to save his own skin by claiming he is one of the detectives, it does seem to me that Kage is one of the Mafioso.

However as Sasaki has proven in the past, he can talk a good game, so if we lynch either Kage or Sasaki, then the other detective, MUST investigate the other person.

Therefore im changing my vote from:

Well, Im still suspicious of Disco.... but there's little arguing with that logic.

So, for this round:
Unvote: Disco

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 00:59
Well it seems that it really doesnt pay off to be the detective in this town.But next round you will see that i spoke the truth.Sasaki you can run,but you cant hide.:knight:

Crazed Rabbit
10-15-2006, 02:03
Unvote: ByzantineKnight

Sorry Kage, but your story about being a detective has way to many holes.

Crazed Rabbit

Kommodus
10-15-2006, 02:19
Yikes! Looks like I've got some questions to answer.

1. The difference between Abstain and No Lynch

If you vote Abstain, your vote will not be counted in any way. It is as if you didn't vote, except that by registering activity you avoid being ejected from the game as a non-participant. If you vote No Lynch, you are voting to block any lynching that might take place during the round. So, for example, if five people vote for Kommodus but six vote No Lynch, no one will be lynched.

2. Can one mafioso kill another? (I think Sigurd asked this.)

No, members of the mafia are not allowed to kill each other.

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 02:21
Ok, a couple of observations. BKS' PM only affirms Sasaki's innocence, IMHO. I asked Kage to produce the PM before BKS posted his and Kage could not (his excuse: he deleted it to make room).

However, a little voice in the back of my head is still saying that Sasaki's suspect. I can't explain it; just a gut feeling. Right now I'm going with my head over my gut.

Finally, I haven't forgotten about this little quote:

Seamus gives us an interesting theory though. It would be so GH to orchestrate his own death to prove his innocence and lead us all astray during the rest of the game, a brilliant plan that could have ensured mafia victory. Let’s hear from Kommodus if it is possible for mafia to kill one of their own. If it is, this should be considered.

I did not, and wouldn't have anyway. It is a rule in my mafia game (as Kommodus knows, having been mafioso once) and he will most likely confirm it (Edit: Looks like he did). You're still suspicious, buddy.

Seamus Fermanagh
10-15-2006, 03:06
Unvote - No Lynch
Vote - Kagemusha

Lord Winter
10-15-2006, 03:15
If kage is the dective he could have still copied and pasted his pm after sasiki showed his. I doubt saskii could have faked it word for word.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
10-15-2006, 04:35
Abstain

I was at a party, and I need to recover first.

discovery1
10-15-2006, 05:40
No worries m8. He's more likely to be mafia than me, so a vote for him to save myself makes sense. Hardly suspicious.

How am I more likely to be mafia then you?!

Also Sasaki, note that you got ME my sheer luck, not due to watching my profile. Indeed, that would not have worked on me since I used all those very tactics that Sigurd and doc have laid out. I

And also note that I did not base my vote on ANYTHING related to the kills, nor will I ever base my votes on the kills. It was all related to their sharing information. Thus I would have lots of time to think about who I would vote for. ANd I still say he is the mafia. That post could be a gambit for all you know, which if it is is working perfectly.

Also note that Prole wants both me and GH dead, since orginally our plan was to simplky kill all the invisibles including her, and is inexperienced and thus may not realize that killing him only helps him.

AggonyDuck
10-15-2006, 10:29
I just feel like I have to do this. Although Sasaki might have the better evidence, I just have a stronger belief in the integrity of Kage. I can't help but think that Sasaki is the real mafioso here and his "detective" PM is in fact a faked one based on his mafia PM.

About Kage's excuse of deleting the PM. It is actually a very valid excuse, when you start thinking that he is participating in the 17th Century Interactive History, which is a very PM heavy game. So I will believe trust Kagemusha here.

Unvote: Kagemusha
Vote: Sasaki Kojiro

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 11:02
Ok guys.Here is my last weak effort to try to tell you that im no mafia member. Think about the situation when i started going after Sasaki. It seemed like that it was certain that the result of the vote would have been No Lynch. What kind of grazy strategy it would have been for Mafia member to start attacking an normal towns person in the situation like that, when all i had to do to go the next round was to vote No Lynch also?
Mafia isnt that stupid. Maybe it was my bad luck that i discovered Sasaki right away. But if i wouldnt have came out, i could have been killed the next night and i couldnt have ever told you that he is one of the mafia. Now when you lynch me and if BKS was the Doctor. You have left 1 detective,1 doctor and 3 mafiosos.
At next round if the other detective checks Sasaki and comes out you may well get Sasaki but then the Mafia also knows the last detective also. Maybe im not that convincing speaker then Sasaki is, but think what good this kind of tactics would have been for the Mafia. Sasaki showed you guys a little altered message what was about he joining the Mafia. The Mafia cant check anybody. So what are the possibilities that they could somehow with some odd mystic powers be able to start attacking a detective on the first round. My opinion,none. Think about these things before you lynch your other detective.:shame:

Silver Rusher
10-15-2006, 11:25
Thank god I got here in time.

Unvote: Abstain

Anybody else find it strange that Kage has been virulently trying to defend himself this whole time and he still hasn't shown us his original PM? Sasaki's argument was always far more convincing anyway.

Drisos
10-15-2006, 11:37
It seems likely either one of them is a detective. Isn't it a bit of risk to lynch one of them? My vote for 'no lynch' stands.

If the Mafia would kill either of them, we'd lynch the other. So I don't think they'll be killed. We'd better have the other detective investigate them, and then stand up and tell us the result. That detective could be protected by the doctor('s) and search on for more Mafia guys. however.. the one of Sasaki/Kage that'd survive would need doctor protection as wel.. getting difficult to arrange that.:sweatdrop:

Silver Rusher
10-15-2006, 11:42
It seems likely either one of them is a detective. Isn't it a bit of risk to lynch one of them? My vote for 'no lynch' stands.

If the Mafia would kill either of them, we'd lynch the other. So I don't think they'll be killed. We'd better have the other detective investigate them, and then stand up and tell us the result. That detective could be protected by the doctor('s) and search on for more Mafia guys. however.. the one of Sasaki/Kage that'd survive would need doctor protection as wel.. getting difficult to arrange that.:sweatdrop:
Whether or not Sasaki is the detective I do not know, but I am almost certain that Kagemusha isn't. His arguments and quoted PM have so far been ridiculously unconvincing.

Avicenna
10-15-2006, 12:27
As were mine in Mafia II, I believe you said ~;)

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 12:39
Silver Rusher.I dont have the original message anymore. Im playing the 17th century and i have absolutely no room in my pm box. How easy would have it been for me to reposts the Sasakis note? But i chose not to do that. Il give up.If you cant see the trees from the forest its your problem. You are lynching your detective.:shame:

Drisos
10-15-2006, 14:09
I think we're making a big mistake...

ByzantineKnight
10-15-2006, 14:17
I believe Kage, Vote: Sasaki Kojiro

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 14:18
Ok, it's pretty obvious that one of these two is the mafia and the other is the Detective. The only question is, which one is which?

I still believe that Kage is a mafioso. But if we execute Sasaki next round, we have definitely gotten rid of one. The question is: Is a mafioso worth a Detective? I believe it is. Let's lynch Sasaki next round, just to be absolutely safe.

Drisos
10-15-2006, 14:39
I still believe that Kage is a mafioso. But if we execute Sasaki next round, we have definitely gotten rid of one. The question is: Is a mafioso worth a Detective? I believe it is. Let's lynch Sasaki next round, just to be absolutely safe.

I agree, but I'd rather lynch Sasaki this round, Kage next round. :juggle2:

AggonyDuck
10-15-2006, 14:40
One way of remedying the problem of the other detective having to reveal himself, would be that he PM's people who have been found innocent and lets them reveal what he has found out. This should be a relatively safe way to pass on information.

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 15:40
One way of remedying the problem of the other detective having to reveal himself, would be that he PM's people who have been found innocent and lets them reveal what he has found out. This should be a relatively safe way to pass on information.

A rule that I have in my game is that the Detective can't privately tell people he's the Detective until he reveals to everyone. Not sure if Kommodus does the same thing.

Cowhead418
10-15-2006, 15:43
At this point I'm really not sure who I should believe. I will abstain. We will know more in the upcoming rounds, at least I hope so...

Avicenna
10-15-2006, 15:44
That's illegal, otherwise Mafia II probably wouldn't end as close to the end as it did.

Silver Rusher
10-15-2006, 16:18
Silver Rusher.I dont have the original message anymore. Im playing the 17th century and i have absolutely no room in my pm box. How easy would have it been for me to reposts the Sasakis note? But i chose not to do that. Il give up.If you cant see the trees from the forest its your problem. You are lynching your detective.:shame:
Pull yourself together mate, if you weren't lynched you would be killed in the next night anyway. And before you go around saying stuff like that, make yourself a bit of a better argument!

Even if you aren't the mafia or the detective, just a simple townsperson trying to save your own skin, the link I posted before is still valid: Lynch All Liars (http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/LynchAllLiars)

I'm sorry Kage, but at the moment lynching you is a win win situation for the villagers. If you are mafia, a mafioso dies, if you are a villager, a liar dies, and if you are the detective you would die anyway.

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 16:22
No need to get all worked up.Its your problem if you cant read the glues.Like Tiberius sayed you condemned him as lier in Mafia two also.I am the detective and you could prove me right by lynching Sasaki and let the other detective check me the next night.Its your call.All im trying to do here is help the town.

Kommodus
10-15-2006, 16:30
*** Voting is Closed ***

Stand by for the execution.

Kommodus
10-15-2006, 16:41
A rule that I have in my game is that the Detective can't privately tell people he's the Detective until he reveals to everyone. Not sure if Kommodus does the same thing.

This is a good rule, and it will hold in my games.

doc_bean
10-15-2006, 16:51

Well, it seems to have become a habit that certain members PM others claiming they are the Detective, so I'd say it would be best to drop this rule, as long as screenshots are forbidden.

AggonyDuck
10-15-2006, 16:53
So a new unwritten rule? GH if you check your mafia games out, there is no mention of a rule like that at the start of each game. I must say it is annoying that you aim to stop the detective from using such methods.

Could you answer me this. What is so wrong with this method that you want to stop it with a new rule? Do you want to stop detective-villager cooperation?

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 16:56
Ok.Im going to die now. What ever you guys do lynch Sasaki next.I really was the detective.

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 17:25
So a new unwritten rule? GH if you check your mafia games out, there is no mention of a rule like that at the start of each game. I must say it is annoying that you aim to stop the detective from using such methods.

Could you answer me this. What is so wrong with this method that you want to stop it with a new rule? Do you want to stop detective-villager cooperation?

It's an unwritten rule to the villagers, but ask Tiberius, Crazed Rabbit, or Reenk Roink. In my initial PM to them it is one of the things they can't do. I put this in because I wanted the reveal to be at once. Mainly, it wouldn't be fair to the mafia if one-by-one the Detective gained followers.

Obviously this changes when screenshots are not allowed, but collaboration by PM is harder to track so I just decided to make it all-or-nothing.

Silver Rusher
10-15-2006, 18:01
Il give up.If you cant see the trees from the forest its your problem. You are lynching your detective.:shame:

No need to get all worked up.Its your problem if you cant read the glues.Like Tiberius sayed you condemned him as lier in Mafia two also.I am the detective and you could prove me right by lynching Sasaki and let the other detective check me the next night.Its your call.All im trying to do here is help the town.
Seriously, :inquisitive:. And glue is something you use to stick things together, I think the word you are looking for is clue.

EDIT: Btw, did you read my post? It outlined a few things: 1) If you are detective and we lynch you, it doesn't matter as you would have died anyway, 2) If you are a villager it is a good thing we lynched you as you are a liar and 3) If you are a mafioso it is good we lynched you for obvious reasons.

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 18:29
Seriously, :inquisitive:. And glue is something you use to stick things together, I think the word you are looking for is clue.

EDIT: Btw, did you read my post? It outlined a few things: 1) If you are detective and we lynch you, it doesn't matter as you would have died anyway, 2) If you are a villager it is a good thing we lynched you as you are a liar and 3) If you are a mafioso it is good we lynched you for obvious reasons.

My dear Silver Rusher.First im sorry that English is not my first language. Have you ever heard of a character called doctor? Now if you would have listened to me and lynched me the next round i could have atleast inspected one more player before i would have died.

Silver Rusher
10-15-2006, 18:53
Have you ever heard of a character called doctor? Now if you would have listened to me and lynched me the next round i could have atleast inspected one more player before i would have died.
Have you ever heard of a character named Sasaki Kojiro, whose claim to being the detective is far better than yours?

Kommodus
10-15-2006, 18:55
One by one, the people of Ogunquit came forward to cast their votes. As each one came, the mayor implored them to stay their madness, and to give the police more time to finish their investigations. For a time, he appeared to be succeeding – most of the people were either turning away without casting a vote, or were voting outright to block the impending execution.

Suddenly, loud shouting erupted from the crowd. It seemed that an altercation had broken out between two of the town’s inhabitants, Kagemusha and Sasaki Kojiro.

“What was the promised price?!” Kagemusha shouted angrily. “What did the mafia tell you to corrupt your heart so completely? How could you murder two of our town’s best men?”

“You know you’re the only one who can answer that!” screamed Sasaki. “I can’t believe you would tell such a heinous lie! People,” he shouted to those around him, “This man is your villain!”

The mob was momentarily confused. Some sided with Sasaki, while others supported Kagemusha. However, in a relatively short time it became clear that many more believed Sasaki than his opponent.

The shouting rose to a fevered pitch. “Put an end to him!” someone shouted. There were loud cries of affirmation. Insanity took hold of the group that supported Kagemusha’s execution. As one man they rushed forward, shoved Kage’s few defenders out of the way, and seized him.

“No, wait–” protested Kagemusha before he was cut off by a vicious fist to the jaw. Blow after blow followed – fists, feet, rocks, and any other blunt object that happened to be handy.

The mayor had lost control of the crowd the moment the altercation had erupted. No one was following the orderly voting system he had hastily tried to set up. He couldn’t even make out what was happening anymore. Shouting into the bullhorn, he made one last attempt to restore order, but it failed miserably.

In desperation, the mayor waded into the mob itself, trying to part a path through the pushing and shoving mass. This was a mistake. Someone else’s head inadvertently connected violently with his, and the blackness of unconsciousness took him. He fell to the ground and remained there.

Meanwhile, the mob was giving Kagemusha no mercy. By this time, his entire body was covered with blood and bruises. Someone had produced a length of rope, and cries of “string ‘im up!” diffused their way through the crowd. Kage was dragged roughly to a nearby tree, where the rope was hastily wrapped around his neck. There was no indication that he felt any of this, as his body had already gone limp.

The rope was thrown around a high, strong branch, and moments later Kagemusha’s body was hoisted into the air. Someone fastened the other end of the rope to the base of the tree, leaving the victim swinging limply.

Everyone stepped back. The voices slowly quieted in the sight of this macabre spectacle. As the bloodlust wore off, some began to retch violently, while others hung their heads or looked away. What had they done? What had become of them?

Unable to remain any longer, the crowd began to disperse. Eventually, the square was empty, except for a few reminders of the evening’s action.

The body of Kagemusha remained hanging from the tree. The unconscious form of the mayor lay slumped on the ground. And finally, the broken body of Orb remained on the concrete, a trickle of blood slowly leaking out. He had been trampled by the mob in their zeal to see justice done.

Votes:
Kagemusha (9), Sasaki Kojiro (5), King Henry V (1), Orb (1), Sigurd Fafnesbane (1)
No Lynch (3), Abstain (5), Not Voting (6)

Status List:

Killed:
Big King Sanctaphrax
GeneralHankerchief

Executed:
Kagemusha

Suicide:
Orb

Still Alive:
AggonyDuck
Byzantine Mercenary
ByzantineKnight
Cowhead418
Crazed Rabbit
Csar
Destroyer of Hope
discovery1
Divine Wind
doc_bean
Drisos
Dutch_guy
Evil_Maniac From Mars
Glaucus
King Henry V
Leet Eriksson
Peasant Phill
Proletariat
Reenk Roink
Sasaki Kojiro
Seamus Fermanagh
Sigurd Fafnesbane
Silver Rusher
Sir Moody
Tiberius
Xiahou
Zalmoxis

Notes:

1. A few of you didn’t follow the correct voting practice. I tried to count all votes anyway, but please remember to do it like this: Vote: Kommodus. Remember to embolden it. Thanks.

2. Orb is dead because he announced an imminent 10-day vacation. However, if you’re just going away for a few days, you don’t necessarily have to quit.

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 19:06
Great write up.Kommodus.:bow: Il guess il be hanging here on a tree waiting for you to join me Sasaki you cold blooded Mafioso.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-15-2006, 19:09
Great write up.Kommodus.:bow: Il guess il be hanging here on a tree waiting for you to join me Sasaki you cold blooded Mafioso.

Well, you would want to see the detective lynched, wouldn't you? I suppose the townspeople will do the "safe" thing and lynch me. It's a poor move though.

And yes, amazing write up once again Kommodus.

Orb
10-15-2006, 19:12
Nice write-up :thumbsup:

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 19:12
Well, you would want to see the detective lynched, wouldn't you? I suppose the townspeople will do the "safe" thing and lynch me. It's a poor move though.

Lol! I have to admit you are great player though.:bow: I wouldnt be suprised if you would reveal a "Mafioso" the next round to save your self.I trust the town people to do the right thing and put you out.

Reenk Roink
10-15-2006, 20:17
It's an unwritten rule to the villagers, but ask Tiberius, Crazed Rabbit, or Reenk Roink. In my initial PM to them it is one of the things they can't do. I put this in because I wanted the reveal to be at once. Mainly, it wouldn't be fair to the mafia if one-by-one the Detective gained followers.

Obviously this changes when screenshots are not allowed, but collaboration by PM is harder to track so I just decided to make it all-or-nothing.

Totally agree. It's just common sense...

I hosted a Mafia type game in the RTK clan forums, and I actually explicitly make a rule barring PM's related to the game to anyone but myself (narrator). Besides, you never know if the person you are PM'img is a Mafia or not.

Divine Wind
10-15-2006, 20:42
Sasaki, it seems to me you went rather quiet after you and Kage had your initial probe at each other on the last page. Especially when I compare your contribution in the last Mafia game, where you were posting in almost one of every three posts made, including defending yourself very staunchly when anyone accused you (including myself).

Kommodus posts the lynching at Today 18:55

Sasaki responds at Today 19:09

So you dont post all this time while Kage trys to defend himself from the likes of Silver Rusher, however fourteen minutes after Kommodus posts the lynching, you finally respond.

Rather interesting, would'nt you say? It seems to me that you knew you were up for the rope and now your trying to keep a low profile, as if to divert attention away from yourself, and hope someone band wagons another innocent villager.

Villagers. It is in our best interests to lynch Sasaki this round. I believe we may have made a grave error with Kage, and now we must make things right again by stringing up Sasaki.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-15-2006, 20:45
You're right Divine Wind. I've learned a few things from last game. Posting too much brought unwarranted suspicion on myself. It's irresponsible for a townie to draw suspicion on oneself, get yourself lynched and you've wasted 1/8 of the towns chances at killing mafia...and we only have a few to waste.

Posting less helped the town make the right decision, I don't see why that is suspicious.

discovery1
10-15-2006, 21:17
You're right Divine Wind. I've learned a few things from last game. Posting too much brought unwarranted suspicion on myself. It's irresponsible for a townie to draw suspicion on oneself, get yourself lynched and you've wasted 1/8 of the towns chances at killing mafia...and we only have a few to waste.

Posting less helped the town make the right decision, I don't see why that is suspicious.

Well, if you learned it from last game then you would have applied it starting at the beginning, not waiting until halfway into the first round. Unless you only just realized it now.

doc_bean
10-15-2006, 21:23

Hah ! Debate is good for the town, that was your old motto wasn't it ?

You're such a mafioso now Sasaki...

Sasaki Kojiro
10-15-2006, 21:29
Hah ! Debate is good for the town, that was your old motto wasn't it ?

You're such a mafioso now Sasaki...

When I'm being attacked I look out for number one. That's still my motto doc, but pardon me if I stop debating all over the place while defending myself. When I'm not being attacked I post more (Disco, yes I posted more earlier, but still not nearly as much as in last game).

Glaucus
10-15-2006, 21:35
I agree with Divine Wind and Doc_Bean. Unless you can show us a mafia right now to prove you are detective, then you'd better get ready for the rope. Your too suspicious to be kept alive.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-15-2006, 21:38
I agree with Divine Wind and Doc_Bean. Unless you can show us a mafia right now to prove you are detective, then you'd better get ready for the rope. Your too suspicious to be kept alive.

Why is it advantageous to lynch a possible detective even if he is possibly mafia?

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 21:41
Why is it advantageous to lynch a possible detective even if he is possibly mafia?

Lol!:laugh4: If thats not suspicious then what is?

Sasaki Kojiro
10-15-2006, 21:44
Lol!:laugh4: If thats not suspicious then what is?

You.

Kagemusha
10-15-2006, 21:48
You.

Well im just dead detective you dont have to worry about me investigating your buddies. Just relax soon you will join me hanging or maybe they come up something nastier for you.You atleast got me and you can still kill some more next night.~:)

Glaucus
10-15-2006, 22:05

... because he is possibly mafia

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 22:10
As I said before, a mafioso for a Detective is a good trade. The only way to make sure that the trade is complete is to lynch you. I'm fairly confident that the villagers can completely avenge my death with or without the help of the Detectives.

Silver Rusher
10-15-2006, 22:10
... because he is possibly mafia
So is everyone, so why would you lynch a detective over somebody else?

Reenk Roink
10-15-2006, 22:32

We have 4 "good guys" and only 3 "bad guys".

If you are a detective: 1/4 of our good guys are gone.

If you are a mafia: 1/3 of our bad guys are gone.

Also, it is not necessary for us to keep detectives alive, only to kill mafia people.

*Of course these are only theoretical advantages; not good enough for Reenkazoid to make a firm stance.*

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 22:34
Nitpick, but 1/2 the good guys will be gone. BKS was a doctor.

Still, I do have confidence in my fellow villagers.

AggonyDuck
10-16-2006, 00:07
So Sasaki, who did you investigate last round?

Orb
10-16-2006, 00:11
We have 4 "good guys" and only 3 "bad guys".

If you are a detective: 1/4 of our good guys are gone.

If you are a mafia: 1/3 of our bad guys are gone.

Also, it is not necessary for us to keep detectives alive, only to kill mafia people.

*Of course these are only theoretical advantages; not good enough for Reenkazoid to make a firm stance.*

well, also, if three of the bad guys are gone, we've won, if all four of the good guys are gone, we haven't lost.

Csargo
10-16-2006, 00:46
Dang I'm too late :(

Glaucus
10-16-2006, 02:04
So is everyone, so why would you lynch a detective over somebody else?

Do I see a mafia looking out for his comrade? I say we lynch Sasaki, and if he is mafia we lynch silver the round after, since he is obviously trying to keep his friend alive.

Cowhead418
10-16-2006, 02:42
Will the upcoming kills give us any clues? If the doctor protects Sasaki and the mafia targets Sasaki, we will know it and he will be proven innocent. If the doctor protects Sasaki and the mafia do not target Sasaki because of this, we will find out nothing. I don't think that the mafia will target Sasaki if he really is the detective because he has garnered enough suspicion and is likely to be killed anyway, bringing them closer to victory. However, if Sasaki is mafia he definately won't be killed.

I agree with GH, a detective for a mafia is a good tradeoff. I don't think Kage would have attracted that much attention to himself if he really were mafia, but Sasaki did provide a better alibi. We have to lynch Sasaki just to be safe. This is something that we really shouldn't take a chance on. In Gotta Have More Mafia, I allowed Sigurd to fool me twice, no way am I letting this happen again.

Seamus Fermanagh
10-16-2006, 03:49
I counsel patience. We need to see the results of another night in Ogunquit --Kommo, you a Rally Cry fan? -- before we decide upon a lynching. Our little town's shades are more active than those in Hamlet (and some good points are coming out, which I shall ponder), but its a bit too early for a decision yet.

Sigurd
10-16-2006, 07:26
Interesting development...

Drisos
10-16-2006, 08:09
Congratulations, you have been randomly selected as a detective in Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia!

Instructions: Each night, you may choose one person to investigate. I will tell you whether that person is innocent or guilty.

If you die you can still participate in the game, however you will not be allowed to post who you investigated. Also, remember that posting of screenshots to prove your role is not allowed.

You have 24 hours each night to send me your choice for investigation. That time limit begins now, although I will probably extend it the first night to give people a chance to get settled in and ask any questions.

This is a good rule, and it will hold in my games.

I don't find that rule in Sasaki Kojiro's PM. :no:

Explanations? :inquisitive:

doc_bean
10-16-2006, 09:02
I don't think that the mafia will target Sasaki if he really is the detective because he has garnered enough suspicion and is likely to be killed anyway, bringing them closer to victory. However, if Sasaki is mafia he definately won't be killed.

If *I* were mafia I certainly wouldn't kill Sasaki tonight, it's almost certain he will be lynched, and if he isn't they could always kill him the next round, there's only a relatively small chance he will discover another mafioso anyway...

Of course, they might also feel that even that isn't worth the risk, and kill him anyway.

BTW even if we kill them both, I don't think we should assume we've killed at least one mafioso, it's likely, very likely, but part of the problem in the Godfather (painful game for the villagers, that one :shame: ) was that we assumed we had already killed a mafioso, when it wasn't so. I don't *think* Kage or Sasaki would just start claiming to be detectives and accuse people based on their own suspicions, certainly not as early in the game, but stranger things have happened...

Kagemusha
10-16-2006, 09:37
I could take in bets that Sasaki wont be killed next night since Mafia cant kill another Mafia member. You should ask yourself guys.If i would have been Mafia member and not detective as i was.How could i have found out that Sasaki was detective which he was not.What are the possibilities that a Mafia member who impersonates an detective could find out who the detective is and start attacking him on the first round. My answer is lot less complicated.I checked him and he was a Mafia.Just close the deal and you have one less Mafia member to worry about.

Sir Moody
10-16-2006, 11:11
well this is one of the strangest developments we have going we have 2 people both claiming to be detectives both claiming the other is guilty - one is now dead and so to be safe we should hang sas but one other small point i just noticed

I just feel like I have to do this. Although Sasaki might have the better evidence, I just have a stronger belief in the integrity of Kage. I can't help but think that Sasaki is the real mafioso here and his "detective" PM is in fact a faked one based on his mafia PM.

About Kage's excuse of deleting the PM. It is actually a very valid excuse, when you start thinking that he is participating in the 17th Century Interactive History, which is a very PM heavy game. So I will believe trust Kagemusha here.

Unvote: Kagemusha

shortly afterwards

if Kage was the mafia then is it possible Aggony Duck was chimeing in with a plausible defence for his mafia pal?? honestly we cant know for sure either way now till the end...

Sigurd
10-16-2006, 11:58
Oh, this is a tricky situation.

Is Sasaki a detective or a mafia? If he is neither he is a liar (in this game) and therefore should be removed. I see no reason for anyone to lie in this game unless they have a role. If he is as he claimed, a detective, he is a valuable asset to the town. But he is now compromised and can only be saved by the doctor. If the mafia decides to keep him alive he will still be a threat to them. One more chance to get caught. The mafia’s interest is not served by keeping a detective alive all though his credibility is now pretty low.

If Sasaki is mafia he just pulled the stunt I did in ‘Gotta have more mafia’ by countering a certain charge with a made up story which in itself seems solid as rock.
If Kage was mafia he was incredible lucky to go after Sasaki in the first place - a small victory for the mafia no matter who is the real detective.

Each round is working against us and we can only lynch one person. It will take three rounds to lynch all mafia players, that is if we get them all in succession. At the same time the mafia will get 6 of us (not counting doctorial saves).
Unless someone has a more suspicious player up their sleeve we will have to lynch Sasaki in one of the following rounds.

To answer AggonyDuck I believe Sasaki already provided this answer, and to follow up Sir Moody’s accusations I thought it suspicious at first to ask for the investigated person as that normally would put a living player on the innocent list. In this game where the mafia killed players are all innocent and still able to voice their suspicions it doesn’t really matter who is investigated unless this player is mafia.

AggonyDuck
10-16-2006, 15:06
if Kage was the mafia then is it possible Aggony Duck was chimeing in with a plausible defence for his mafia pal?? honestly we cant know for sure either way now till the end...

Well if you know anything about my posting/reading habits on the org., then you'd know that I'm a frequent visitor of the Chapter House. I've read enough about 17th Century to know that it is very common to have a full PM box due to the behind the scenes diplomacy and choices that you have to send to LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix. That is why I actually believe the explanation of Kage that his PM box was full.

To answer AggonyDuck I believe Sasaki already provided this answer, and to follow up Sir Moody’s accusations I thought it suspicious at first to ask for the investigated person as that normally would put a living player on the innocent list. In this game where the mafia killed players are all innocent and still able to voice their suspicions it doesn’t really matter who is investigated unless this player is mafia.

I've checked the thread and Sasaki has not clarified who he investigated last round. I am asking Sasaki this, because I believe he has not investigated anyone and we just lynched our detective. Overall while Sasaki might have the better "evidence" to back him up, but what he lacks is a proper logic behind his actions.
Think about this, why would Kage pull off such a stunt in round 1 and how on on earth did he manage to guess who was a "detective". Also consider the fact that Kage had raised suspicions about Sasaki before revealing himself. He eventually revealed himself because we had failed to get the hint.

Also think about what Sasaki's reaction to Kage's claim was. He suddenly revealed himself to be the real detective and accused Kage of being a mafioso who is trying to be a fake-detective. The lack of the proper PM pretty much doomed Kage's efforts. While Sasaki was able to fake his own relatively easily and convince us to believe him. You must admit Sasaki did have the convicing evidence, but I believe in the integrity of Kage.

ByzantineKnight
10-16-2006, 15:15
I've checked the thread and Sasaki has not clarified who he investigated last round. I am asking Sasaki this, because I believe he has not investigated anyone and we just lynched our detective. Overall while Sasaki might have the better "evidence" to back him up, but what he lacks is a proper logic behind his actions.
Think about this, why would Kage pull off such a stunt in round 1 and how on on earth did he manage to guess who was a "detective". Also consider the fact that Kage had raised suspicions about Sasaki before revealing himself. He eventually revealed himself because we had failed to get the hint.

Also think about what Sasaki's reaction to Kage's claim was. He suddenly revealed himself to be the real detective and accused Kage of being a mafioso who is trying to be a fake-detective. The lack of the proper PM pretty much doomed Kage's efforts. While Sasaki was able to fake his own relatively easily and convince us to believe him. You must admit Sasaki did have the convicing evidence, but I believe in the integrity of Kage.

I agree, Kage seemed innocent, and in the last mafia when he was innocent he IMO acted differently.

discovery1
10-16-2006, 15:20
I agree, Kage seemed innocent, and in the last mafia when he was innocent he IMO acted differently.

Yes he did, he begged us to lynch him. This is definetely atypical behavior.

Silver Rusher
10-16-2006, 18:35

I think Kommodus meant that he would start using that rule from then on.

Kommodus
10-16-2006, 19:59
AggonyDuck half-ran, half-limped home that night after the madness in the square. He had been among those who had unsuccessfully tried to halt Kagemusha’s lynching, and had suffered a twisted ankle in the scuffle. What hurt far worse than his body, however, were his mind and soul. Watching friends and neighbors he had known for years descend to such depravity was more than he could comprehend or believe.

He had fled as soon as it became clear that Kagemusha was doomed, having been unable to stand and helplessly watch the carnage. His inability to stop the slaying gnawed at his mind, creating a growing sense of dread. It was as if a twisted, malevolent spirit dogged his very steps. He couldn’t keep himself from repeatedly glancing apprehensively over his shoulder as he made his lonely trek home. The streets that only hours ago had been warm and familiar to him now harbored bogeymen in every dark corner; malicious eyes peered out from every shadow.

Finally reaching home, AggonyDuck fastened every lock securely and buried himself in his blankets, but even then he could find no peace. The spectre of Kagemusha’s terrified, doomed eyes haunted him, as did the baleful, bloodthirsty faces of the vengeful mob. He tossed and turned for hours, placing his hands over his ears in a vain attempt to silence the ringing of their shouts. The short-lived periods of sleep he achieved were plagued by nightmares of the worst kind, which always caused him to wake in a cold sweat only minutes after falling asleep.

At last he gave up his futile efforts at sleep and got out of bed, wrapping a blanket around his shoulders. Turning on the light, he looked at the clock and groaned – it was barely half past one. This was already the longest and most miserable night of his life, he thought, and it would only get longer.

Leaving his bedroom, AD plodded down the hallway towards his kitchen, intending to put on a pot of coffee. “I need something to take my mind off this mess,” he said to himself. “Just a few moments’ peace will do. Maybe a book would help… if I could just sit and read for a few minutes, I might fall asleep.”

Upon entering the living room, however, he froze. The room was still utterly dark, as the lights had not been turned on, yet AD felt certain that there was another presence in the room. Was it instinct, or had he heard something? He wasn’t sure – all he knew was that his blood had frozen in his veins.

There was no more time. A muffled shot pierced the darkness. AggonyDuck’s long night was abruptly cut short as he fell to the ground with a single bullet in his forehead. At last, the peace of oblivion enveloped him.

The night had been kinder to ByzantineKnight, but only slightly. He groggily opened his eyes after a fitful sleep, also troubled by nightmares and phantoms. The bright sunlight seeped through his bedroom windows, and outside the birds sang cheerfully, oblivious to any change. In his state of half-consciousness, BK felt his spirits lift.

Then it all came flooding back to him, and his spirits plunged. It was as if the bright morning had suddenly turned to blackest night. He tried to block it out, but the images from the previous night would not go away. Somehow, he knew that they never would.

After several abortive attempts, he managed to drag himself out of bed. His will to do anything was all but gone; he didn’t feel like eating, showering, or any of his usual morning activities. He just felt sick; if only the world would go away and leave him alone.

Shuffling out to his living room, he found himself standing at his own front door. A fresh newspaper was lying on the porch. “Maybe something will have been happened to shed light on this nightmare,” he thought. “Hopefully the authorities will know more by now.” He opened the door and stepped out.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

A terrible fiery explosion originating from underneath ByzantineKnight’s feet ripped through the house. His body was reduced to a red mist instantaneously, and the rest of the house was no more than a flaming, blackened frame. Moments later, even the remnants of this collapsed.

To say the mayor had had a bad night was an understatement. The first thing that had presented itself to his limited consciousness when he had awoken in the darkness was an excruciating headache. The second was the gruesome body of Kagemusha, hanging from a tree with a white face and bulging, bloodshot eyes.

By mid-morning, he had finally managed to mobilize some city workers to cut the body down from the tree and wrap it in a body bag for transfer to the morgue. This had only just been completed when the first report came in: ByzantineKnight’s house had gone up in flames and he was presumed dead. While the messenger was still speaking, another rushed in, breathless. AggonyDuck’s body had been found in his own living room, shot in the head.

The mayor clenched his fists and cried out in anger and frustration. The messengers blanched and fled from the office, but he didn’t care. He knew what was coming.

By late afternoon, the entire town was once again gathered in the square. They were angry, confused, and frightened. The mayor tried to calm himself as he prepared to address them once again.

“People, I implore you to please remain calm. Obviously the mafia are still here and trying to terrorize this town, but we cannot allow a repeat of last night. I know you’re afraid, but you must not allow your fear to overwhelm your better judgment. Let the authorities handle this.”

The mayor expected the crowd to be satisfied with this, but he was wrong. Many felt that last night’s lynching had been correct, although they admitted it had been done in a dreadful fashion. “The only problem is we haven’t gone far enough!” someone shouted. “Of course a gang like the mafia will send more than one henchman to do a job; we just need to smoke out the rest of ‘em!”

No one wanted a repeat of the insanity from the night before, but quite a few still felt that the mayor’s idea of voting for the likeliest guilty party was the right course of action. The mafia were killing off the townspeople at an alarming rate, and they simply couldn’t afford to wait for official investigations. They needed to take care of this now.

“Vote! Vote! Vote!” chanted the crowd. The mayor hung his head. Once again, he had failed.

“Alright!” he shouted into his bullhorn. “But this time, let’s keep it orderly, people! We’re civilized people – let’s try to act somewhat like it!”

Sasaki Kojiro
10-16-2006, 20:02
Well, I thought Tiberius was acting rather suspicious so I investigated him. No luck though, he’s innocent:

Innocent

Tiberius

Sorry guys for making a poor choice :shame:

Kagemusha
10-16-2006, 20:16
Sasaki,only problem with your little faked message is that the word "innocent" should have colour in it.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-16-2006, 20:18
Sasaki,only problem with your little faked message is that the word "innocent" should have colour in it.

When you copy and paste color doesn't show up. Come on you can do better than that. I'll suppose you'll do your best to get the town to lynch their detective.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-16-2006, 20:19

That's because the rule was added later, and my pm was from the beginning of the game. Simple.

GeneralHankerchief
10-16-2006, 20:23
Stick with the plan, guys. It's the only way we can be sure.

Silver Rusher
10-16-2006, 20:31
Stick with the plan, guys. It's the only way we can be sure.
I'm not so sure. Not killing Sasaki was the obvious choice for the mafia, it frames him perfectly and ensures that the people likely wouldn't believe his 'investigations' anyway.

I say we leave it one more round.

doc_bean
10-16-2006, 20:33
Vote: Sasaki

Sigurd
10-16-2006, 20:35
It seems the Mafia did not try to kill Sasaki last night. In stead they killed the one Sasaki gave as a clue in his post right after the first killings. They also got AggonyDuck one who would still be on my suspected list.
That format and colour is not copy able is not true. All the non-english speakers know this. We do not always write up our posts in the org. “reply to thread” editor. Many times we use an external editor like word. If we copy and paste from word or the like format and colour shows.

We need to be sure we got a mafia this turn which means there is only two left in the game in the next round.

(format and colour from ms word)

Glaucus
10-16-2006, 20:42
If we stray from what we said last round only bad things can happen. Come on guys, stick to what we said before, lynch him, he lies!

Vote: Sasaki

Sasaki Kojiro
10-16-2006, 20:43
It seems the Mafia did not try to kill Sasaki last night. In stead they killed the one Sasaki gave as a clue in his post right after the first killings. They also got AggonyDuck one who would still be on my suspected list.
That format and colour is not copy able is not true. All the non-english speakers know this. We do not always write up our posts in the org. “reply to thread” editor. Many times we use an external editor like word. If we copy and paste from word or the like format and colour shows.

We need to be sure we got a mafia this turn which means there is only two left in the game in the next round.

(format and colour from ms word)

When I copy and paste from pm's it doesn't take color or bolded. See BKS's doc pm if you want proof.

I'm very glad you saw ByzantineKnight as the name I encoded last round. Others seem to have missed that, good job, you got it right.

edit:typo

Sigurd
10-16-2006, 20:57
This is just a test to see if format and colour is copyable...

I copied this from a PM that I sent to myself. Anyone here can do the same test.
I don't know Sasaki... right now it seems you are full of it.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-16-2006, 21:00

I copied this from a PM that I sent to myself. Anyone here can do the same test.
I don't know Sasaki... right now it seems you are full of it.

Doesn't work for me. What browser are you using?

As I said, it doesn't work for BKS (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1269510&postcount=157) either, as I said before:

When I copy and paste from pm's it doesn't take color or bolded. See BKS's doc pm if you want proof.

I'm very glad you saw ByzantineKnight as the name I encoded last round. Others seem to have missed that, good job, you got it right.

edit:typo

Sigurd
10-16-2006, 21:02
Before I forget, we should get our 6 players not voting active… Having an act of God coming their way will only server the mafia.
They are:
Ignoramus
Zalmoxis
Ice
Dutch_guy
Leet Eriksson
Peasant Phill

GeneralHankerchief
10-16-2006, 21:03
Ignoramus, I believe, is not playing. He joined past the deadline.

Sigurd
10-16-2006, 21:05
Doesn't work for me. What browser are you using?

As I said, it doesn't work for BKS (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1269510&postcount=157) either, as I said before:

just testing this in IE6
all my previous post are made in Firefox

Sigurd
10-16-2006, 21:07
Ignoramus, I believe, is not playing. He joined past the deadline.
I just assumed anyone that have posted in this thread was in... the ones I mentioned has only posted once.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-16-2006, 21:07

just testing this in IE6
all my previous post are made in Firefox

"This is just a test to see if format and colour is copyable...

just testing this in IE6
all my previous post are made in Firefox"

You have a fancy clipboard program?

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-16-2006, 21:11
Congratulations! You have been randomly selected as one of the doctors in Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia!

Instructions: Each night, PM me with the identity of a player you wish to protect. That player cannot be killed by the mafia. If they are targeted, the kill will fail and the morning’s story will reflect this. Note that you cannot protect yourself – if you attempt to do so, you will be assumed to have been idle during the night.

Be careful when and how you choose to reveal your identity. It may make you a target for the mafia.

You have 24 hours each night to send me the identity of the player you wish to protect. That time limit begins now, although I will probably extend it the first night to give people a chance to get settled in and ask any questions.

Just double checking to make sure I didn't do anything fruity last time. Sasaki's right, the title of the game should be bolded, and it isn't when I copy it.

Kagemusha
10-16-2006, 21:18
Well i would assume that in game like this where the stakes are high people would be able to open their PM´s and copy and paste those from word to word and colour to colour.But maybe everybody isnt doing that. It still doesnt prove anything about you being not Mafioso,Sasaki.