PDA

View Full Version : Difference

PROMETHEUS
10-13-2006, 18:41
Can I be explained the difference between Auctoriso and Total realism ?

shifty157
10-13-2006, 19:38
Well the short answer is:

We're better. ~;)

The long answer is:

Perhaps im not the best person to get into what exactly the differences between ours mods are because i really havent been keeping up with the developement of MTR. Regardless. As far as i am aware MTR is taking a completely historically accurate approach to their mod. At MA on the other hand, we are takinga an approach we like to call 'historically logical'. By this i mean that we want the game to react in a historically logical fashion to everything that the player does. Its rather narrowminded to think that as the player creates his own alternate history the units and buidlings and such will remain completely constrained by the true version of history.

Its a rather difficult concept to explain in brief. I would very highly suggest looking at our various updates. I explain this concept in much more depth in our aims and goals (http://s15.invisionfree.com/Byzantium_TW/index.php?showtopic=272) and there is also a good deal of information in the recently released FAQ.

NagatsukaShumi
10-16-2006, 03:02
It is difficult to explain without indepth knowledge of both projects, and as I am only leader and member of one I can't really give an entirely accurate answer, only what I can see to be the difference.

From what I can see, MTR will give you some options to create an alternate history, but will not go as indepth into this path as MA intends to do so and concentrate more on historical accuracy.

This doesn't mean we are going to ignore accuracy, we won't, its still an important part of the package and will of course play a major part, however I always felt that it was silly that as you expanded into ahistorical dominions you were bound by historical constraints. Unless you do everything the nation did in reality, nothing you do will be historically accurate to the time, we aim to build a world which reacts to your actions, not the actions of Kings who may very well never exist on the game.

The majority of a factions roster will most likely be made up of historically accurate "units", though they will recieve "fantasy" units that will appear as they expand to certain area's, my most used example is, as England you take over say Asia Minor and desert area's, this could give you access, eventually, to units such as Desert Longbowmen, Seljuk Billmen etc etc, these are in no way definate inclusions, but this is what I am getting at, a faction will make the most of its new surroundings, as they would in real life if they did this.

There has been suggestions that we will pay less attention to smaller factions, I'd like to confirm this is not the case here and now. We fully intend to give every factions our utmost attention, the smaller ones maybe more so, it will be important to go indepth into how they evolve as they expand, as they obviously owned far less land than the bigger factions did historically, they will gain more fantasy units via expansion than larger factions, bigger factions will not only gain fictional units but also units they used in certain area's if they gained control for periods of times, the smaller factions will of course not have as much access to this pool of units, so they will recieve due care and attention to make sure they are given as much time to make enjoyable as the rest, though they will provide a different experience.

That is my take on things, MTR may say contrary to this, but as I do not know anything of their inner workings, and them likewise of ours its difficult to give a totally accurate answer to this quesiton until both are released.

paullus
10-18-2006, 03:03
I really love the idea behind this mod, I just hope for your sake that the unit limit has been upped. But then again, 500 is quite a lot of units, so perhaps it'd be enough. But again, its a great idea, and I'll bet you can get some good skinners and modellers by dangling the prospect of historically influenced regional "fantasy" units.

shifty157
10-18-2006, 04:06
Im almost positive that they had to have increased the unit limit for MTW2. Almost every unit in the faction previews has been a faction-specific unit and with so many factions I really cant see how theyll be able to stay under 500. Regardless we'll work under whatever unit limit they give us though we are hoping for much more than 500.

The good news is that we have a very well rounded and devoted team already with people who can take care of every aspect of modding a TW game. Of course we're always looking for more people to share the workload though.

HighLord z0b
10-18-2006, 09:28
I really love the idea behind this mod, I just hope for your sake that the unit limit has been upped. But then again, 500 is quite a lot of units, so perhaps it'd be enough. But again, its a great idea, and I'll bet you can get some good skinners and modellers by dangling the prospect of historically influenced regional "fantasy" units.Yeah bring on the skinny models... ooops I mean skinners and modellers.

alpaca
10-19-2006, 18:10
Yeah bring on the skinny models... ooops I mean skinners and modellers.
Nay, many models are starving as it is! Freedom for models to eat!

Anyways, I hope we can get as many talented and devoted people as possible :2thumbsup:

HighLord z0b
10-20-2006, 01:23
Nay, many models are starving as it is! Freedom for models to eat!

Anyways, I hope we can get as many talented and devoted people as possible :2thumbsup:

Actually I agree, healthy looking women are far more attractive than most models, however I just can't pass up a good (or in this case bad) pun.

O'ETAIPOS
10-22-2006, 13:09
While idea "adaptive" units sound great, I have one question. Why should english lord train his arab soliders to use longbow, when theyre own bow (recurved composite) was at least same powerful if not better?

NagatsukaShumi
10-22-2006, 13:44
While idea "adaptive" units sound great, I have one question. Why should english lord train his arab soliders to use longbow, when theyre own bow (recurved composite) was at least same powerful if not better?

This was merely an example, infact the ideas of what adaptive units we should have has yet to be discussed in any real depth, rest assured we'll be trying to make them as historically feasible as possible :2thumbsup:

HighLord z0b
10-24-2006, 06:46
Yeah, there would be little point in training "desert longbowmen" you would just be better off training basic desert archers as they would be better, however after some assimilation you may be able to make your desert archers have the good morale of longbowmen, or something like that.

Actually it would be cool if that had the effect of of upgrading your longbowmen from Wales to start using composite bows, however I doubt that's in our power.

shifty157
10-24-2006, 16:49
Hey guys! I have the best idea in the world! You can tell because of all the exclamation marks im using! Ok!

Composite Longbows!

:laugh4:

Ringeck
10-25-2006, 12:36
Er. Any bow made from several materials is "composite". There are hundreds and hundreds of finds of bows of similar draw weight and length to the Mary Rose longbows from all over Europe (and Eurasia) before, during and after the middle ages made from two or more different wood types (many also incorporating sinews and horn or bone) to gain the durable-yet-powerful advantages that yew wood gets naturally.

HighLord z0b
10-26-2006, 06:01
Errrr. The point was more about middle eastern composite bows being better than longbows in general. Sure a longbow could have similar poundage as an asiatic bow, however they were very difficult to use and cannot be fired from horseback. Anyway it was only an example so it's a moot point.

Urnamma
10-30-2006, 04:04
Prom: there's a good deal of difference in philosophy. Think RTR <-> EB :-)

Ringeck
01-17-2007, 08:40
E, however they were very difficult to use

Moot point or not, this is completely opposite of reality. A composite-recurve, especially the heavily reflexed things nomad horse used, are more unstable due to the multiple directions force works in the weapon and thus more inaccurate than straight bows. It is simply physics, and apparent to anyone who has ever fired the two variants at equal strengths.

Orda Khan
01-17-2007, 12:09
Moot point or not, this is completely opposite of reality. A composite-recurve, especially the heavily reflexed things nomad horse used, are more unstable due to the multiple directions force works in the weapon and thus more inaccurate than straight bows. It is simply physics, and apparent to anyone who has ever fired the two variants at equal strengths.
I have used both and I would like you to explain this instability and inaccuracy because it is a long way from anything I have experienced. In fact, I would say the complete opposite. The modern recurve follows the design of the reflex bow and it is a well known fact that the long heavy limbs of a longbow produce far more handshock and eventually the limbs begin to 'follow' the draw, thus losing efficiency; one reason longbows are not left strung for extended periods. An Asiatic composite of comparable strength produces a faster, straighter cast making it more accurate

.......Orda

HighLord z0b
01-18-2007, 00:07
I agree with Orda, I have fired both varieties of bow at similar poundages and I find composite recurves better.

Also I've never read anything the indicates that straigh bows are better, everthing I've read says the opposite.

Tuuvi
01-26-2007, 03:59
I am into traditional archery and you can't really say that a recurve bow is better than a longbow, They both have their advantages and disadvantages, that is an ongoing argument that I believe will never come to an end.

I have used both and I would like you to explain this instability and inaccuracy because it is a long way from anything I have experienced. In fact, I would say the complete opposite. The modern recurve follows the design of the reflex bow and it is a well known fact that the long heavy limbs of a longbow produce far more handshock and eventually the limbs begin to 'follow' the draw, thus losing efficiency; one reason longbows are not left strung for extended periods. An Asiatic composite of comparable strength produces a faster, straighter cast making it more accurate

.......Orda
I disagree, I have shot both and I think that recurve bows have more handshock than longbows do.

Great looking mod guys I will definently download when I get M2TW.

IrishArmenian
01-26-2007, 05:40
Yes, to put it simply, MA is not here to reenact history as it happened. We are working on literally alternative history, I call it "what if"-history. Based on facts but allowing freedom to the player. True historical fiction.I posted that in another thread and thought it would be good here.

Vladimir
01-30-2007, 15:30
Hey guys! I have the best idea in the world! You can tell because of all the exclamation marks im using! Ok!

Composite [Recurve] Longbows!

:laugh4:

Teh Seconded! :jumping:

Tuuvi
02-05-2007, 05:49
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but a composite longbow wouldn't work...There would be too much mass in the limbs, making the design ineffiecent. A recurve longbow would be cool though.

Vladimir
02-05-2007, 16:54
I believe that would depend on the materials used to make the composite correct?

Numeros Decimus
02-05-2007, 17:17
The provinces are historically accurate, although the game starts in the 1070's why didn't you put Portugal in it? It's true that Portugal did not exist has a kindgom in the 11th century but as a province yet if the game goes all the way to 1500 then Mediaeval Auctoriso will be missing some critical parts of medieval history.

Shouldn't Mediaeval Auctorisco remain true to it's ideology?

Maybe all faction slots are already ocuppied. :book:

CaesarAugustus
02-06-2007, 00:22
IMO Sevilla should be scrapped and replaced by Portugal as one of the options for the final faction vote......... assuming that Portugal isn't the third faction.

Tuuvi
02-10-2007, 00:44
I believe that would depend on the materials used to make the composite correct?Yes, but I think that most composite bows were made out of horn, sinew and wood.

pevergreen
02-11-2007, 06:45
based off post #3, i now pledge allegiance to this realism mod.