PDA

View Full Version : Research: loading_screens

Encaitar
10-14-2006, 03:21
Those of you familiar with ME:TW will know that the loading_screen tga's for the mod are a selection of fantastic artwork by Anke Eissmann. Having to choose 'only' 19 images has at times been a difficult task for me, but recently I got to the point where (after she had published a few new pieces of work) I had 22 images that I simply could not choose between.

So out of pique, I just put all 22 in the loading_screen folder. And lo and behold I felt like an idiot because all 22 did indeed get used. So much for my long held assumption that the max was hardcoded at 19!

When the game is loading up, in between the splash screen and the main menu, the loading_screen used is always the same one. Back when I only had 19 loading_screens, it was always #9. Now, with 22, it's #11. So it would seem that the 'post-splash' loading screen # used is '(total # of loading screens)/2' (rounded down).

In summary: You can have more than 19 loading_screens.

This is with BI v1.6. Not sure if it holds true for other versions.

Dol Guldur
10-14-2006, 10:45
Excellent information. It is good to see things are still going forward even in the "mingling of the lights" between RTW and M2TW :)

Thanks for shedding a little bit of light of your own. This will be useful.

Epistolary Richard
10-14-2006, 12:43
Great tip, thanks Encaitar! :thumbsup:

professorspatula
10-17-2006, 02:59
I've had over 30 loading screens for ages. I don't recall ever seeing an issue with increasing the number more and more. Numbers 30 and 31 pop up a fair bit for example.