PDA

View Full Version : Medieval 2 Modding Research I: Using Vercengetorix's IDX Extractor

The Spartan (Returns)
10-15-2006, 18:35
now assuming you know how to use the IDX extractor, you can still extract sound files from Medieval 2 data/sounds and do anything you like with em and even add em to RTW. (i added the Euro_Battle song to RTW)
you can even extract skeletons from data/animations.
unfortunatly you cant for some reason extract animations from data/animations disabling you from adding great M2 animations to RTW.

shifty157
10-19-2006, 02:55
Good find. You couldnt extract the animations because they most likely use a different file format. The .mesh format perhaps?

Monkwarrior
10-19-2006, 19:00
Good find. You couldnt extract the animations because they most likely use a different file format. The .mesh format perhaps?
I don't think so.
Looking at pack.idx with xvi32 all the animations are .cas.

Some examples:

data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_walk.cas

data/animations/CR_arquebus/CR_arquebus_shuffle_backward.cas

data/animations/HR_Crossbow/HR_Crossbow_horse_req/HR_Crossbow_fs_horse_die_forward_2.cas

data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lostab.cas

data/animations/MTW2_Musket/MTW2_Musket_knockback_from_right.cas

Up to 190 pages of pdf file :juggle2:

The Spartan (Returns)
10-20-2006, 21:52
so any ideas on extracting animations?
or maybe the new demo will allow us?

Epistolary Richard
10-20-2006, 22:30
Moved to M2TW modification.

DreadMaster
10-20-2006, 22:46
Will it be able to mod new factions

The Spartan (Returns)
10-21-2006, 01:35
Will it be able to mod new factionswell this is about using the IDX extractor. once M2 is out, im sure there will be a turorial perhaps to mod new factions. (adding new factions right?)

Myrddraal
10-23-2006, 01:20
I think this deserves a research wiki?

GrumpyOldMan
11-09-2006, 23:58
Hi All

The animation files are in a bit of a different format from RTW ( as well as all biped figures having different skeletons - no cloak bones and additional bones for jaw, eyebrow and two clavicles between torso and upperarms).

The initial part of the animation files are the same, with no. of frames, no. of bones, frames x bones x quat values for rotations, but then there frames x bones x local translations (but this also includes the 'Y' or perpendicular to ground plane movement of the pelvis bone). After this there are frames x 'X' and 'Z' values for movement across the ground plane by the pelvis.

Without having to understand all the above, the short answers are, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to use MTW2 animations in RTW and unless you can set up new skeletons in MTW2, you won't be able to use RTW animations in MTW2. All the meshes designed for RTW will have to be reskinned to fit MTW2 skeletons.

The CAS extracter won't work on the new animations without being modified.:no:

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news:hide:

cheers

GrumpyOldMan

alpaca
11-10-2006, 16:04
Well I guess we'll have even more problems with models. I hope CA will tell us something about modding tools so that we can see if we have to work that stuff out ourselves.

Shigawire
11-11-2006, 00:27
And what about all these so-called XML files? where are they?

why do I get the feeling like we've just been had? :inquisitive:

shifty157
11-11-2006, 06:19
And what about all these so-called XML files? where are they?

Everything is contained within the pack files. Though once unpacked .xml files can be editted with notepad.

Shigawire
11-11-2006, 18:14
Excellent..

Then all we need is animation/model/settlement tools..

Maculio
11-20-2006, 20:24
bah, here comes the wait for proper tools. time to get a campaign map ready.
CA better release some tools :wall: cos were lost with the models,settlements and encrypted export_descr... files.I feel like crying.
But thx for this it helped alot m8. i love medieval soundtrack. It rocks

lismore
12-07-2006, 14:50
CA better release some tools

Is there no way to unpak those files yet in M2TW?

Lusted
12-07-2006, 15:03
Not yet, an unpacker is being released with CA to come with the first patch. and(more than likely) more tools to come after that.

lismore
12-09-2006, 01:10
Not yet, an unpacker is being released with CA to come with the first patch. and(more than likely) more tools to come after that.

DFid they give any indication as to when that would be released? There are a couple of things I really want to change!