PDA

View Full Version : BraveHeart-Total War

Vuk
10-20-2006, 17:16
With the release of MIITW, many Modders are switch platforms. RTW retains one advantage however: It has been around longer and therefore has a lot more experienced Modders.
With this in mind I would like to announce/suggest:

BraveHeart-Total War

A Mini-Mod based on the MOVIE BraveHeart. It would need to be a very small map (Ireland, England, Whales, and, of course, Scottland). The number of turns would be relatively small - covering only 80 years (William Wallace is believed to have died when he was 49). Turns however will be only a quarter of a year (and armies movement will be adjusted accordingly). Though it would cover a very small time frame, it could offer far grander battles than most MODs can afford. The units would be modeled after the ones seen in the movie and some not seen in the movie that partisipated in his major battles.

I have no experience Modding (Don't even know how to) and am not planning on making this MOD (though I would like to stay as involved as possible). This is mearly a suggestion for Modders who are interested. It would not be a large scale mod - The Campaign map would be fairly simple, and since there would be so few factions, the units would be few.

The positions not yet full (This will be updated when positions are filled) are:

Scottish historian
Modeller
Mapper
Concept Artist
Voice Actors/Recorders/Rippers
Every thing else...

Please join if interested. I can use all the help I can get. If you don't want to join because of the MOD, then just join so you can be around someone so hot! lol

Rex_Pelasgorum
10-20-2006, 17:28
I hope eventually somebody will answer to your call and turn your idea into a mod... i made a similar call whith Inca Total War and people did join ~;)

Vuk
10-20-2006, 17:49
I hope eventually somebody will answer to your call and turn your idea into a mod... i made a similar call whith Inca Total War and people did join ~;)

Thanks for the support, I hope people will interested even with the release of MIITW imminet.

I MOD on several platforms, RTW, regretably is not one of them. I have been trying to learn, but now that RTW is outdated I just gave up. I hope I can still get my MOD made however.

(And of course since I have experience managing MOD development teams, I may still be able to help-but probably not~:))

I'll have to check ITW out~;).

Thurnor
10-20-2006, 23:26
If this is based on the movie Brave Heart you have no need for a historian, because historical accuracy is ignored in this film.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braveheart#Historical_accuracy

Not being one to ruin some one elses fun however, this may help:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=63706

The Spartan (Returns)
10-21-2006, 01:52
not a bad idea really. Braveheart wasnt bad.
brw you should put this in M2 Modding forum.

Slartibardfast
10-21-2006, 02:34
Being a programming ignoramus I couldn't help you out at all but what a great idea.

If it was historically based, converting the Total War series into a single military campaign mod would be the "Bees Knees" of PC military simulations. Limited troop numbers, huge delays in the arrival of reinforcements, trouble getting your troops to turn up, let alone fight without changing sides, logistical supply problems, turns consisting of weeks instead of years, and shifting alliances and territories.

I wish you well with this idea reaching fruition.:2thumbsup:

Vuk
10-21-2006, 02:35
not a bad idea really. Braveheart wasnt bad.
brw you should put this in M2 Modding forum.

Thnx, I think it has very good potential if I can find a few very talented modellers who are interested.
P.S. This is going to be a RTW MOD.

MaddMann
10-21-2006, 16:33
Thnx, I think it has very good potential if I can find a few very talented modellers who are interested.

LOL, sounds great, first mod I heard of that wasn't based one boring history!! No offence, but I'm the type who would rather watch a kick-ass movie like Braveheart than an hour of HC. I wish you luck (I'd help you if I knew anything about MODDING or Programming or wuteva the full it's called.)

Suprised you havent gotmor programmes heloing you.

Vuk
10-23-2006, 17:26
LOL, sounds great, first mod I heard of that wasn't based one boring history!! No offence, but I'm the type who would rather watch a kick-ass movie like Braveheart than an hour of HC. I wish you luck (I'd help you if I knew anything about MODDING or Programming or wuteva the full it's called.)

Suprised you havent gotmor programmes heloing you.

ya... whatever...

So is no one interested in a BraveHeart Total War Mod?

Vuk
10-23-2006, 23:54
BhTW is dead (not that it ever came alive)!

There was not enough interest so I'm killing the Mod.

(Moderator, please selete thread. Thank you).

(If you decide that you want to help make this MOD, PM me or post here and I will reopen it.)

shizzernockers3
10-24-2006, 01:48
first off whats going to be so special about it and what are we looking at in number of turns

wlesmana
10-24-2006, 08:04
The sad part is that this mod could've been done simply by borrowing units from other mods like Chivalry or Crusader TW for english units and Arthurian TW for Scottish units. Apply some reskinning, voila, mod done.

But alas, any mod that gets closed down because the "leader" won't do the bulk of the work is destined to fail.

Vuk
10-24-2006, 15:04
The sad part is that this mod could've been done simply by borrowing units from other mods like Chivalry or Crusader TW for english units and Arthurian TW for Scottish units. Apply some reskinning, voila, mod done.

But alas, any mod that gets closed down because the "leader" won't do the bulk of the work is destined to fail.

Reskinning the units from Chivalry and Crusader wouldn't do at all.

This was more of a suggestion than anything. I said at the beginning that I had no Idea how to do any of the skinning, moddelling, mapping, etc. I wanted to find people that would, or that would at least take the MOD from me.

Vuk
10-24-2006, 15:17
first off whats going to be so special about it?

It would take place on a relatively small campaign map, allowing for far greater detail. The units in it would be ballanced out much differently than any TW game or MOD ever. Battles would be alot grander, with many more warriors on the map than in other mods. Units would be very unique (though not nessacerilly historically accurate). The recruitment system would be a lot different. There would be a lot of scripted occurrences making it feel more story like and less like a randomly generated campaign. Unique movie character heros (Mel Gibson in a skirt... :help: ). On map buildings would be changed.

I think what would make it really seem different is the unit balance, which, I promise you (if it goes as I plan), will be nothing like you've ever seen before.

what are we looking at in number of turns?320 turns in all. It would be covering the life time of William Wallace assuming that he lives till 80 (instead of dying at 49 like he did in real life). I may be wrong, but in ATW, doesn't the game end when Alexander dies? If so we could build it on ATW and do that. When WW dies (reggardless on how long you've been playing) you lose.

wilddog
10-24-2006, 19:39
Not quite the same thing but I was waiting for M2TW to come out as I plan to make a little mod for myself just covering the Welsh and scottish wars probably from late 13th to early 14th century only.
I was planning on mostly updating a little map I did once I know what the map limits/rules are for M2TW.

Example of the map (ignore the town placements as they were just for an earlier mod I was doing).

https://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4996/centralscotlandqs6.th.jpg (https://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=centralscotlandqs6.jpg)

Note dragon in radar map is 'borrowed' from arthurian total war (replaced an older viking boat I'd used) and then upscaled to resolve the sea problem - its a nice dragon ~:cheers:

Not sure what map size you were wanting but I may be able help although I primarily intend to sort out the map for my own M2TW mod.

Vuk
10-25-2006, 15:23
Not quite the same thing but I was waiting for M2TW to come out as I plan to make a little mod for myself just covering the Welsh and scottish wars probably from late 13th to early 14th century only.
I was planning on mostly updating a little map I did once I know what the map limits/rules are for M2TW.

Example of the map (ignore the town placements as they were just for an earlier mod I was doing).

https://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4996/centralscotlandqs6.th.jpg (https://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=centralscotlandqs6.jpg)

Note dragon in radar map is 'borrowed' from arthurian total war (replaced an older viking boat I'd used) and then upscaled to resolve the sea problem - its a nice dragon ~:cheers:

Not sure what map size you were wanting but I may be able help although I primarily intend to sort out the map for my own M2TW mod.

FANTASTIC Wild Dog!!
That would be just what we'd need. If you'd like to join the team, please sign on. We are getting somewhere!

wilddog
10-25-2006, 19:16
Vuk
Why not do it for M2TW? I realy intend to amend the map for that one. I don't know whether MT2W uses same TGA type maps or not or whether its overcome the size limits.

As you can see this map only has part of Ireland in and the map is not set up to 'sail completely around' this was to suport the emerging hording in BI and overcome the sea problem. As soon as I know the sizes in M2TW then I want to redo part of the map. Also M2TW has the castle option which would be useful in this era.

Vuk
10-25-2006, 22:13
Vuk
Why not do it for M2TW? I realy intend to amend the map for that one. I don't know whether MT2W uses same TGA type maps or not or whether its overcome the size limits.

As you can see this map only has part of Ireland in and the map is not set up to 'sail completely around' this was to suport the emerging hording in BI and overcome the sea problem. As soon as I know the sizes in M2TW then I want to redo part of the map. Also M2TW has the castle option which would be useful in this era.

Very true Wild Dog, but the reason for making this on the RTW engine is because of the amount of experience people have with it. Also, a lot of the models are already made and only need editting. A lot more, and probably better quality units will come with MIITW. MIITW would seem a lot more logical platform to build it on, if not for two reasons.
Firstly, there are fundamental problems with MIITW that I can't overlook. (Whether these could be changed, and how easy that would be, I do not know)
Secondly, I cannot afford to buy MIITW (oh ya, I'm serious...).
The two are built on the same engine and shouldn't be to different; if you want to wait till MIITW comes out we'll do that. In the mean time we can work on recruiting a full team, and doing any carry over work possible (NEED CONCEPT ARTISTS AND VOICE ACTORS).
I was considering doing it on MIITW when I could get it cheap enough, so I leave it to you.

Anyone interested in helping cast your vote:
0 votes for RTW
0 votes for MIITW

will be updated

(Who needs a poll, eh?)

Sundjata Keita
10-26-2006, 10:52
No offence to this mod but what we need are more modders and not more mod ideas. There are indeed many experienced modders for RTW but most will want to be playing (and will be able to afford ~;) ) MTWII when it comes out. For that reason this mod will be very difficult to get off the ground, especially without a modeller.

For that reason I say put the idea on hold until MTWII comes out. A little while after that there will be the usual small wave of new modders available and you are much more likely to generate interest. Most of the experienced modders of RTW do not want to start new mods this late on.

Hope you will take this into consideration,

Sundjata

ByzantineKnight
11-01-2006, 04:34
If this is still going, i would suggest that you port it to Alexander. That way when Braveheart dies the game ends.

Pantsalot
11-08-2006, 22:40
It would be good to keep this going,
I'm not just saying this because i'm a scot, though
u could of called it something like Scottish total war instead
of braveheart since of Robert the Bruce conquering the rest
of Scotland in those times & the King of which I forgot his name..
I would help on this but I'm not wanting to spend £400 for the
equipment to model,

Vuk
11-08-2006, 23:23
Thanks pantsalot!
Byzantine Knight, if someone were to do this, it probably would be on Alexander Total War. This MOD is not dead, but merely dormant, as the interestecd parties (including myself) are working on RTE at the moment. If you are looking for a good MOD, RTE will more than exceed your expectations! (RTE is currently underway, though the progress is slow, as this is midterm month. Starting on Thanksgiving break, and continuing to finals, we will be pumping steam to get 'r dun! Hopefully, we will release a preview in early Dec.)
If anyone wants to highjack this MOD, feel free (though if you wish to retain the name, it will have to be built along certain guidlines, and live up to certain standards, both specified by myself)! It needs to get going, and I as of yet do not have the team or time!

Cangrande
12-29-2006, 10:19
So it would be like the Warhammer mod?

That's also fantasy :D

PS Whales are marine mammals

Roman_Man#3
12-29-2006, 17:19
it that spam?:inquisitive:

no, it would be historically based, nothing like warhammer, and i dont think whales would be in the mod.

SSJVegetaTrunks
12-29-2006, 17:28
How did I not see this before? I was just thinking about something like this yesterday.

Is this mod actually being made?

Pantsalot
12-29-2006, 21:31
I believe it died quite a while ago

Roman_Man#3
12-29-2006, 22:08
either that, or a long hibernation, as no one seems interested in doing it, which is quite a shame, because as someone said:

im feeling adventurous, and if mods lend us the units, i could probably do the rest on my own time, except the buildings and stuff. if anyone wants to help, pm me. im not saying i will do it, i will have to ask some mods to use their units, but if all goes well, i will reply, and if someone then wants to help, pm me.

Pantsalot
12-29-2006, 23:33
I would of helped if I was able to afford 3dsmax but unluckily I ain't able to..

Roman_Man#3
12-29-2006, 23:46
sorry, to hear that, i would do more as well, but i dont have 3ds max either. just a thought, i have medieval 2, but my graphics card isnt up to snuff, but, does anyone think units from that would work?

Vuk
12-31-2006, 22:14
BraveHeart Total War is currently dormant, waiting till someone resurrects it. (maybe myself...but not till I'm done with RTE)
I think that now it may be better to do with M2TW...as soon as it becomes a bit more moddable...
If it is built on RTW, it should be built on Alexander. It is NOT historically accurate anymore than the movie. It is a mod about the movie. Of course the movie leaves a lot open that can be filled with historically accurate info.
I would be disapointed if someone just ripped some units of from another mod and called it BhTW.

If someone wants to highjack this mod: please feel free. I would really like to see it get made.
Good luck,
Vuk

Shishan
05-22-2007, 04:15
hello all..juz browsing and reading posts..i donno anything about moding but its cool to play braveheart total war if its really gonna happen..ive played Braveheart the game before (1999) buuut its not that good..the game play looks similiar like total war..if it gonna happend y not try to extract the skin or movies or watever u all moder know how to do from that old classic game if possible..juz to share my oppinion...

Vuk
05-27-2007, 19:46
It was an idea, but no one was interested. Right now, I am making a different mod, so I cannot. If you want to learn modding and make it, please feel free. :)

Vuk

max_minimod
09-23-2007, 23:13
https://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3945/vikscreenshclansmhp6.th.jpg (img165.imageshack.us/img165/3945/vikscreenshclansmhp6.jpg)

https://img50.imageshack.us/img50/9457/vikbanner1vikinginvasioxy5.jpg (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119455)
we could still need help

Makanyane
09-24-2007, 07:45
Wallenstein, are you actively working on this mod? If so please say a bit more about how far you have got with it, that might encourage more people to join.

max_minimod
09-24-2007, 15:57
Hi Makanyane,
I'm working on the RTW/BI Vikinginvasion mod.
Mod starts in 840 and will include the MTW/VI game in 3D, but is not limited to Britain only, with Factions for Dal Riada, Picts, (Wessex)Saxons, Mercia, Northumbria, Welsh, Celts/Eire, Vikings, Franks, ...
So I hope it was ok to post an info here.

To get more infos, click on the sig above, we could need more people help!

Makanyane
09-24-2007, 20:21
Hello again Wallenstein, it's fine to post in this thread if you want to attract attention from people who were working on this mod previously, but if you are working on something different I'd recommend you post details of your mod separately. If you haven't already made one you could make your own Forge thread, or post an update of where you are with your mod in Mod Discussion forum.

Also it might just be me, but I can't see your sig or any link to your mod (which might explain why I asked first question :embarassed: ) - could you post that in plain text?

max_minimod
09-25-2007, 01:51
Click me Makanyane, click the image: (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119455)
https://img50.imageshack.us/img50/9457/vikbanner1vikinginvasioxy5.jpg (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119455)