PDA

View Full Version : Factions

Modding Forum
10-23-2006, 01:51
Placeholder

Sinuhet
12-28-2006, 01:29
Well, I have converted one faction to another, with different placement on the map and with different culture. One of the problems, which is nowhere discussed is how to change the culture for portraits of characters in game campaign. Has anybody any hint how to manage this ??? Concretely from southern_european to northern_european. The moddels can be changed in descr_character.txt file, also their dictionary and models in battles. But how to change the portraits per faction???

alpaca
12-28-2006, 01:54
What do you mean exactly? You can set the portrait mapping in descr_cultures.txt, the rest are simply numbered pictures in the ui folder.

Sinuhet
12-28-2006, 12:54
Well, I have been mistaken in the thing, that the northern_european culture has special portraits. I am sorry, I have been tired in the night already. I formulated it as I want to change it to estern_european - they have their set of portraits already 100% ....

So, the northern_european cultures has default to use southern_european portraits and my problem on the level of cultures is solved for conversion from southern to northern E. (= I have to do nothing)

But nevertheless, I have directed my question to another problem. Lets say, that I want my faction have a bit different set of portraits. I can change the used portraits per whole culture space (as you write in descr_culture.txt, it is clear), but not per faction in this culture space ......

My reasoning behind this is that my faction should have a mix of western and eastern Europe portraits. But I dont want to have this set for another western countries (hre, france, etc.). Well, I create the new set of portraits by combination of CAs southern_european (="westeren E culture") and eastern_european sets (theoretically, it would be huge work, somebody else would have to do such boring thing). But how further????

I have tried to add the "foreign" protraits in to the ui folder with faction name folder (i.e. concretely milan subfolder). THis is creating a situation that this subfolder is for game engine next to the other "per-culture-named" ones in the respective pack. But this not a solution, I have got freezing the game, there is a conflict which set of portraits to use for game engine by this approach apparently.

Theoretically, there could be a solution to define all ui subfoders with portraits only per faction. But how to define in descr_culture which set of portraits to use for the whole culture space???

Also, theoretically, the creation of unique set of northern_european portraits sholud be functional, but I ahve not tried it yet, because this is not solution for my basic problem "per faction", but it is introducing the new set "per culture" only .... Nevertheless, if anybody ahs tested this, there sholud be some report on this too, because theory is theory only ......

I think with clear head after sleeping, that there is not any solution how to implemnt per faction ... One colud change the hardcode for differention the portraits per faction and not only per culture ....

But if anybody else will find out how to do it without touching exe, let me know here, please....

Bye S.

EDIT:

Also, there seems to be one very simple solution for all this. But this must have a fullfiled condition that the respective protraits (of all types) for each faction within the respective culture are mutually exclusive as for their usage by another faction ... Then one have to figure out only, which portraits are related to the faction desired to change, and replace them with some other ones ..... But, so you know anybody the routine how the portraits are assigned to each faction and if they are mutualy exclusive ????

alpaca
12-28-2006, 14:22
I think with clear head after sleeping, that there is not any solution how to implemnt per faction ... One colud change the hardcode for differention the portraits per faction and not only per culture ....

Yes, I think that is indeed the case.
The only workaround I can think of is defining a culture for each faction and replacing all the culture entries in all files (such as edb) with faction entries

Casuir
12-28-2006, 16:42
Think theres a limit of 7 cultures though.

alpaca
12-28-2006, 17:38
Think theres a limit of 7 cultures though.
Mhm that could be, forgot about it... Well then I guess it's not possible. However, there are a few kings using custom portraits, maybe you could check how that is done.