PDA

View Full Version : Tech Trees

Modding Forum
10-23-2006, 01:57
Placeholder

DrZoidberg
05-14-2007, 14:00
I'd like to know all the hard limits there are for the tech trees. Concearning everything like the number of different buildings and which cultures can have what and the upper limit for cultures. Does anybody have this info or do I just suck at searching as usual? :book:

thanks in advance

-Zoid

alpaca
05-15-2007, 14:57
The latter.
You can have 128 building trees with up to (I think) 9 buildings per tree, 7 cultures and every culture can have any building you want it to of course

Bwian
05-15-2007, 21:09
With buildings, there are only 5 levels for any building listed in the text file. Does this mean there could be nine ..... ?

Take a barracks for example ...it can be upgraded 5 levels, so that would be one tree of 5 buildings.

Then, there is the way the game uses them.

If a building can recruit troops, the AI would...I assume...recruit troops. If, for example, I had a completely new building called ....er... a Zogathron. If I had made this able to recruit ...Zogs... how does the game know it can build zogs, or decide that having a Zog is a good idea? Does it expect buildings such as barracks to make troops, and crops to make food....or can you make crops recruit a unit?

I have often wondered if the way buildings work is a fixed thing, or if it thinks 'I need an army of Zogs to counter the obvious weakness in cavalry, so it looks for a building that can produce what it thinks it wants, and builds some?

I think I have been working too hard ;) :clown:

Lusted
05-15-2007, 21:23
The game builds buildings irregardless of names i believe, and does it based on the benefits each building gives. For instance in RTW if there was a gap in the recruitment tree for instance and the 4th level of barracks gave nothing new compared to the 3rd, the ai wouldn't build it.

And some buildings have 7 levels to them.

alpaca
05-18-2007, 22:44
Yeah the AI will build buildings and units based on a priority system that factors in stuff like attack and cost, and for buildings boni. This leads to the ballista effect in vanilla for example.
It's actually not so bad, but there should be a capability/unit stat that allows you to directly tinker with the priority points to make the AI build stuff that you want.