PDA

View Full Version : Units

Modding Forum
10-23-2006, 01:58
Some new edu lines:

armour_ug_levels - specifies the level of blacksmith needed to upgrade the unit
armour_ug_models - points the game at this model instead of the standard soldier model
era - used for custom battle purposes only

Ocean going ships
Whether a ship can cross ocean tiles depends on whether their ship class has the ocean_going capability in descr_ship.txt

Unit cards
This is exactly the same as Rome. The basics of adding different unit cards can be found here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1335703#post1335703).

Epistolary Richard
12-05-2006, 01:58
Added a bit of info about the new edu lines and ocean going ships.

Merlin's Apprentice
12-05-2006, 21:45
Noticed some new lines that are commented out, they working on these for the patch?

; stat_pri_ex Optional. attack bonus vs mounted, defence bonus vs mounted, armour penetration

; stat_armour_ex Details of the man's defences
; armour factor. 4 values. First for base value, then 3 upgrade levels
; defensive skill factor (not used when shot at)
; shield factors. First for melee, second for missile fire
; sound type when hit = flesh, leather, or metal

;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0

;stat_armour_ex 5, 7, 0, 0, 3, 6, 6, metal

perhaps there is a bug with a conflict between the new system and the old?
could explain the armor bugs people have noticed
would also explain poor pike performance

Epistolary Richard
12-05-2006, 23:24
I would imagine it is unlikely. Evidence of features not ultimately included (or merged with others) are often left around the text files. A very few - like night battles, are subsequently included in a later version, but the vast majority (like building plugins) are not.

Shadow_Wolf33
12-06-2006, 07:37
Anyone have an idea of how to give a faction a unit that it normally doesn't have?

I'm trying to give the english Musketeers, but when I did the same process that I did to give them Monster Ribaults as a test(cripes they chew through their ammo FAST), I got the ribs, but the musketeers were invisible on the battle map, and their unit card was that of some peasant looking person holding a dagger. Couldn't seem to get the Mounted Longbows into the game either. Any help?

This stuff used to be so much easier to do...

JeffBag
12-06-2006, 13:31
Thats because the game is trying to load up the graphics for the English version of those musketeers, but since there aren't any, they become invisible and have that famous peasant unit card.

Shadow_Wolf33
12-06-2006, 16:44
Is there any way to remedy that with just the files that have been provided to us so far? or is that one of the 'wait for the un-packer' occasions?

MWNF
12-06-2006, 18:46
I think you'll have to wait for the unpacker, and then you should be able to just copy the files for the unit over to the faction directory that you want it to belong to, or also belong to. So you may not have English skins for example, but you should be able to see the unit.

Anyway that's how I'm guessing it could work from this in the unit file with all the descriptions at the top:

; info_pic_dir Optional. Dir to find the info pic in (instead of faction dir)
; card_pic_dir Optional. Dir to find the unit card in (instead of faction dir)

So I'm just assuming that the models for each unit are also seperated into faction directories also, just like the pictures.

Just a theory. :)

Epistolary Richard
12-06-2006, 20:59
Added unit card section.

scsscsfanfan
12-09-2006, 03:02
hi,
anyone know how to increase the unit size?
from the export_descr_unit.txt that we know that if a unit size is 60, then huge size is 150, if unit size is 48, then huge is 120. There is a mulitplier 2.5x.

We can't increase the unit size number in the edu file >60, as anything more then 60 the game won't load, ie, the max number a unit can have on the edu file is still 60 as was in RTW. But back in RTW there was a 4x to make unit size on huge for 240.

Any chance that this multiplier can be edited? or it is hard coded?

thanks

MWNF
12-17-2006, 09:13
Has anyone had any success (In any way) of getting units from a different faction to be visible on the battle map? :\

I've spent the past few hours trying to change files names, etc.. Then I tried to sabotage working files to see which ones were controlling the textures. So I could sabotage a few files here and there and see if I can make the unit in the original faction invisible.. So far, I've had no luck. :\

I even tried making them into something else by replacing the unit models with different unit models..

I'm kinda wondering if the game is even reading anything from the mod dir concerning models and textures. Ho hum.. Off to bed, then back to grinding on this in the morning. >_<

I'm not a modeler so I don't know how these textures/models work together exactly, I've simply been trying to change things logically based on file placement and names. :)

Wardo
12-27-2006, 03:57
Yeah, I just started trying to re-balance the game to my liking, distributing a few more Musketeers, Mortars and some other stuff and I still haven't figured out how to get past the Predator cloaked Musketeers:

https://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8679/musketpredatorin0.jpg

But I'm a complete n00b, so I second the question: "anyone have an idea of how to give a faction a unit that it normally doesn't have?"

AlexCezar
01-07-2007, 12:51
I am trying to alter some of the units fight value ( so to speak) - like attack, charge bonus and defense. It seems that the unit card remains unchanged. MY questions is: did really the unit change ??

In RTW I change the attack value for the Kataphract and they appeared with a changed unit card - showing the changes.

Anyone has the answer to that ?

Aegis
01-07-2007, 14:32
I just added musketeers to English and it's working fine (using the Venice textures and sprites since they were the closest to England's natural colors). You'll need to modify battle_models.modeldb to define a texture (make a backup of the original first!):

10 musketeers 1 4 54 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_lod0.mesh 121 54 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_lod1.mesh 900 54 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_lod2.mesh 2500 54 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_lod3.mesh 6400 5 5 spain 71 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_spain.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 40 unit_sprites/spain_Musketeers_sprite.spr 8 portugal 74 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_portugal.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/portugal_Musketeers_sprite.spr 5 milan 71 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_milan.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 40 unit_sprites/milan_Musketeers_sprite.spr 6 venice 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_venice.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/venice_Musketeers_sprite.spr 7 england 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_venice.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/venice_Musketeers_sprite.spr 5 5 spain 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_spain_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_spain_norm.texture 0 8 portugal 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_portugal_diff.texture 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_portugal_norm.texture 0 5 milan 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_milan_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_milan_norm.texture 0 6 venice 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_norm.texture 0 7 england 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 16 MTW2_Fast_Musket 20 MTW2_Non_Shield_Fast 1 19 MTW2_Musket_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 14 musketeers_ug1 1 4 58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_ug1_lod1.mesh 900 58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500 58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/musketeers_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400 5 5 spain 71 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_spain.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 44 unit_sprites/spain_Musketeers_ug1_sprite.spr 8 portugal 74 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_portugal.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 47 unit_sprites/portugal_Musketeers_ug1_sprite.spr 5 milan 71 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_milan.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 44 unit_sprites/milan_Musketeers_ug1_sprite.spr 6 venice 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_venice.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 45 unit_sprites/venice_Musketeers_ug1_sprite.spr 7 england 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_venice.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 45 unit_sprites/venice_Musketeers_ug1_sprite.spr 5 5 spain 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_spain_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_spain_norm.texture 0 8 portugal 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_portugal_diff.texture 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_portugal_norm.texture 0 5 milan 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_milan_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_milan_norm.texture 0 6 venice 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_norm.texture 0 7 england 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_venice_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 16 MTW2_Fast_Musket 20 MTW2_Non_Shield_Fast 1 19 MTW2_Musket_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Find the musketeer entry (open in wordpad, search for " musketeer"), mark all the text, all the way down to "17 trebizond_archers..." (don't include the space before 17), then replace it with the entry above. That'll define textures and sprites (those of Venice) for use by the English, for the standard musketeer model and their upgraded armor model.

FactionHeir
01-20-2007, 11:41
Has anyone figured out what the "knight" attribute does and whether "formed_charge" only works for cavalry?
Also, does "fast pony" really work, because I changed my hobilars to "fast pony" but they still can't outrun mailed knights.

Lastly, the ug levels for armor must be bugged somewhere because some units have 2-3 upgrade levels and cannot be upgraded to those levels neither in game nor in custom battles. For some this could be explained by the lack of sufficient ug models, but some have enough models and yet cannot be upgraded.

Sir Robin the Brave
01-20-2007, 20:01
Yeah, I just started trying to re-balance the game to my liking, distributing a few more Musketeers, Mortars and some other stuff and I still haven't figured out how to get past the Predator cloaked Musketeers:

https://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8679/musketpredatorin0.jpg

But I'm a complete n00b, so I second the question: "anyone have an idea of how to give a faction a unit that it normally doesn't have?"
I had this problem, I hadn't changed the "armour_ug models" in the "eport_unit_descr" to that of my units, it was still the defaults. So try that and see if it helps :)

Casuir
05-23-2007, 13:09
Was rooting around in the exe for somethings and found the unit abilitys:
wagon_fort
legionary_name
general_unit_upgrade
stakes
warcry
screeching_women
druid
cantabrian_circle
is_peasant
no_custom
start_not_skirmishing
fire_by_rank
gunpowder_artillery_unit
free_upkeep_unit
mercenary_unit
frighten_mounted
frighten_foot
power_charge
very_hardy
hardy
heavy
sea_faring
can_horde
can_swim
can_run_amok
can_feign_rout
can_formed_charge
can_withdraw
Havent tested any of them.

Ashdnazg
05-23-2007, 16:47
Seeing that all the units with stakes have it twice: (example from longbowmen)

attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, stakes, stakes
I tried it with one stakes, and with 4 or 8, haven't noticed any change.

btw, anyone tried to do something with ternary weapons? (not dead cows)

Casuir
05-24-2007, 00:50
Probably just an error, I doubt CA hand-edited the edu so it could be that someone added the same attribute twice in whatever program they used to generate the file.

Interestly theres no reference to the command ability there, theres a few others missing too, the hide_'s are found in another part of the exe but theres no mention of general_unit. Theres also a number of other attributs in the edb which I cant find reference to, knight, gunmen, crossbow, guncavalry etc which are possibly ai related?

Ashdnazg
05-24-2007, 16:56
Probably just an error, I doubt CA hand-edited the edu so it could be that someone added the same attribute twice in whatever program they used to generate the file.

Interestly theres no reference to the command ability there, theres a few others missing too, the hide_'s are found in another part of the exe but theres no mention of general_unit. Theres also a number of other attributs in the edb which I cant find reference to, knight, gunmen, crossbow, guncavalry etc which are possibly ai related?

Sounds very probable.
Perhaps some attributes aren't checked in loading but only in the related procedures.
Is the game loading with non-existing attributes?

Abokasee
08-10-2007, 17:42
I can't get any of my new unit models to show up at all

14 byzant_pikemen 1 4 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod0.mesh 121 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod1.mesh 900 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod2.mesh 2500 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 80 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/byzantium_Byzantine_Infantry_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_diff.texture 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Slow_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 18 byzant_pikemen_ug1 1 3 72 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 72 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_ug1_lod1.mesh 1225 72 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_ug1_lod2.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 80 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal.texture 56 unit_sprites/byzantium_Byzantine_Infantry_ug1_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_diff.texture 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Slow_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

You might notice this im adding byzantine pikemen with byzantine infantry meshes and scotland heavy pike militia, so far every time I add a new unit model, the model is completely invisbale, so can anyone help with this?