-Write-up and storytelling
-20 turns in 7 days

The poll is for selecting the factions

===================EDIT====================, BY CF

This is the organization of the PBEM
Faction:Thrace
Enslavement allowed, not extermination
Peasant allowed
All members have to write a history according to the faction, and take screenies of the fights.
Each member has 10 turns to play

Zimfan40
10-24-2006, 19:15
I voted for Britannia, mostly because I've never finished a barbarian campaign, nor a faction with chariots.

Just about any faction would work for me, though. :2thumbsup:

UltraWar
10-24-2006, 19:22
I vote for a Thracian Campaign as it would be very intresting what moves will be taken within the campaign.

Caius
10-24-2006, 23:39
I've never finished a barbarian campaign, nor a faction with chariots.

The problem with the Barbarian factions is the money.

Zimfan40
10-25-2006, 05:28
The problem with the Barbarian factions is the money.

Don't their units have a cheaper upkeep, though?

Anywho, if we want to pick a civilized faction, Maybe Carthage or Pontus? Lots of people don't like the ahistorical Egyptian units, but that would work for me. :egypt:

Really, I'd like to paly any faction but another Roman one(for now).

Severous
10-25-2006, 07:34
I would like in please.

Preferably NOT Egypt, Julii, Brutii, Gaul, Germany,Carthage,Greece as Ive played them.

Like the sound to Pontus, Thrace, Briton mentioned by others above.

Id prefer a shorter 'turn' per person...10 turns max. Would move the game around more and perhaps quicker.

Orb
10-28-2006, 23:13
Pontus sounds good.

Caius
10-29-2006, 16:31
We need more voters.

Please confirm if you want to be in.

Current Players:
Caius Flaminius
Orb
Ignoramus

Orb
10-29-2006, 18:30
I'd like to be in, pretty much regardless of factions.

Ignoramus
10-31-2006, 11:35
I'd play.

Orb
11-01-2006, 22:18
just started a Pontus campaign to get the feel for it. It's great.

Really nice drawing out tactics without the sickening horse-archeriness of Armenia. Cheap, useless infantry mixed with decent ones, nice mercs and great rushing opportunities (by 265, I have Mytilene under siege, both rebel towns near me were taken in 269, and that Seleucid place closest to me has just been captured by 2 peltasts, 1 hillmen and a general.

Caius
11-04-2006, 23:26
No one interested?

Severous
11-06-2006, 21:12
Hi

With 7 responses in the poll we have enough.

More than enough probobly unless we go for shorter turns (5 years per player)

I voted Pontus. Like the idea of the different factions we will fight against and using chariots.

Caius
11-06-2006, 21:25
In 3 days, the poll will be closed.

econ21
11-07-2006, 12:50
I voted for Thrace, as we haven't done it yet and it sounds very interesting - both the units and the setting. However, I'm happy to try anything. I enjoyed my time in the mid-game Julii PBM.

I agree with the 10 turn idea - there's quite a few good new games either out now (NWN2) or about to come out (M2TW) that are competing for my gaming time.

Caius
11-07-2006, 23:01
Thrace and Pontus have two points...

Orb
11-11-2006, 01:43
OK, I'll change my vote to Thrace then to get this started sooner.

Caius
11-11-2006, 18:40
Orb changed the vote!

The poll is close.

@Severous and Zimfan40:Confirm if you want to play.
We need a name for this PBEM.

Orb
11-13-2006, 23:50
How about:

a) A Blue Moon on the Tiber

b) Wine and Women, A Thracian Adventuure

c) How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bastarnae

Severous
11-15-2006, 00:25
Hi

Option b) above sounds fine to me. Im happy to participate in a Thracian adventure.

Caius
11-17-2006, 00:30
I need change the name of the thread.Call it now Wine and Women, A Thracian Adventure, can you, econ21?
Starting in 1 week.

Ignoramus
11-17-2006, 02:15
Perhaps we should start sooner. I'll be going away for a couple of weeks in December, and some people will(like me) will be concentrating on Medieval 2 soon.

Vuk
11-22-2006, 18:45
What version of RTW do you need to play this?

econ21
11-22-2006, 18:51
What version of RTW do you need to play this?

The latest patched version - 1.5 for RTW alone; 1.6 if you have BI.

BTW - Caius, I guess you are starting tomorrow or sometime soon? I wonder could you edit your descr_strat so that the rebel and pirate respawn rates are lower? I hate fighting tiny bands of rebels. It's such a drag.

On my computer, the descr_strat.txt is in
C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign)

Double click on the file to open it in notepad and you'll see the lines

brigand_spawn_value 10
pirate_spawn_value 28

just above a line of ;;;;;;;;

Change the 10 and 28 to something much higher, like 100, and we will see the odd rebel but half our battles won't be against them.

Vuk
11-22-2006, 19:02
The latest patched version - 1.5 for RTW alone; 1.6 if you have BI.

BTW - Caius, I guess you are starting tomorrow or sometime soon? I wonder could you edit your descr_strat so that the rebel and pirate respawn rates are lower? I hate fighting tiny bands of rebels. It's such a drag.

On my computer, the descr_strat.txt is in
C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign)

Double click on the file to open it in notepad and you'll see the lines

brigand_spawn_value 10
pirate_spawn_value 28

just above a line of ;;;;;;;;

Change the 10 and 28 to something much higher, like 100, and we will see the odd rebel but half our battles won't be against them.

Will I need to edit my version to play? Also, how do we report our results (battle results)?

econ21
11-22-2006, 22:04
Will I need to edit my version to play? Also, how do we report our results (battle results)?

No - RTW only reads the descr_strat at the start of the campaign, so only the first player needs to edit it.

I am assuming Caius will start a new "story" thread to report the results. If you look at the Julii PBM write-ups threads, you will see people adopt very different styles:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=68309

But screenshots are good with any style.

Vuk
11-22-2006, 22:13
Will I need you hotseat/PBM scriot thing to do this?

econ21
11-22-2006, 23:21
Will I need you hotseat/PBM scriot thing to do this?

No - each player will take over the game for a set number of turns (do you want to go with 10 or stick to 20, Caius?). So basically, the first player kicks off - does his 10 or 20 turns, then he posts the savegame. Then the second player downloads the savegame and plays on. It's just the SP game, played in succession - sort of like a relay race.

Vuk
11-23-2006, 03:32
No - each player will take over the game for a set number of turns (do you want to go with 10 or stick to 20, Caius?). So basically, the first player kicks off - does his 10 or 20 turns, then he posts the savegame. Then the second player downloads the savegame and plays on. It's just the SP game, played in succession - sort of like a relay race.
So how do you change between factions?

econ21
11-23-2006, 10:29
So how do you change between factions?

You don't - this is a Thracian PBM. We are just playing Thrace. Read about PBMs here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30871

Better yet, read some of the write-ups of completed PBMs:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=68110

Vuk
11-23-2006, 14:42
Is it ok if I join then? I may not be able to do it all the time, as my schedule is rather shaky. Also, the only time I can get to a high speed internet connection is at school. Would it still be ok if I joined?

econ21
11-23-2006, 14:58
I don't see a problem with you joining, Vuk. The way it works is that you will play a particular stint of maybe 10 or 20 turns (I'm not clear which). You will play it just like any single player campaign you play on your own. You will only need your internet connection two times - once to download the savegame that you should start from and then to upload your savegame after you've done your turn.

We need to confirm the playlist and play order. From what I can make out, we have:

Caius Flaminius
Orb
Ignoramus
Severous
Vuk
econ21

Is everyone happy to play and to play in that order?

Vuk
11-23-2006, 19:26
I'm in!

Orb
11-23-2006, 23:58
I don't see a problem with you joining, Vuk. The way it works is that you will play a particular stint of maybe 10 or 20 turns (I'm not clear which). You will play it just like any single player campaign you play on your own. You will only need your internet connection two times - once to download the savegame that you should start from and then to upload your savegame after you've done your turn.

We need to confirm the playlist and play order. From what I can make out, we have:

Caius Flaminius
Orb
Ignoramus
Severous
Vuk
econ21

Is everyone happy to play and to play in that order?

Sounds good to me :balloon2:

Vuk
11-24-2006, 03:47
When does this start?

econ21
11-24-2006, 09:08
When does this start?

Whenever Caius shows up - his last post here suggested it should start around now. He was on line recently. I've PMd him.

Vuk
11-24-2006, 17:27
I hate to be a nerd with all my questions, but I am not sure about something. When we submit our score, we won't need to write a story to go with it, will we?

econ21
11-24-2006, 17:44
There's no score - all you need to submit is your savegame, so the next player (me in your case) can continue our campaign. It's a cooperative endeavour. I think a write-up of some kind is required so other players know what's happened in your reign, although it need not be Shakespeare.

Caius
11-25-2006, 22:48
Start without me.I have to upgrade RTW.

Caius

econ21
11-25-2006, 22:51
OK - Orb, are you happy to start this PBM off?

Vuk
11-26-2006, 00:45
Come on Orb, start us off!!

Orb
11-26-2006, 04:19
Let the games grind to a halt er... BEGIN!

I.E. I'll start it up later today (Brit. Time). I think about 90 rebel/pirate spawn rate is enough to reduce the hordes enough while keeping a few rebels, so I'll use that.

Edit: Note to self: Turn off night battles

Orb
11-26-2006, 22:50
Start's going great, I've played through 10 turns, seized Byzantium from rebels, Saloniki from Maks and Porolissa (IIRC) from the Dacians. The Mak city north of Saloniki is also about to fall.

Vuk
11-26-2006, 23:10
How many turns does each person play?

Orb
11-26-2006, 23:20
20 in total (10 years) each of their goes.

Vuk
11-27-2006, 19:45
Where are the results?
*shakes uncontrolably*

Orb
11-27-2006, 21:54
Not much time to play today, so they'll be up tomorrow, and I'll try to get the write-ups done by the weekend.

Orb
11-28-2006, 22:02
OK. My first reign is over.

We now have nine provinces:

Tylis and Campus Getae (our starting)
Byzantium (nabbed from rebels)
Porolissa and Campus Iazyges (taken from Dacia)
Byzalora, Thessalonica and Larissa (taken from the Maks)
And finally the little town on the Greek coast north of Thermon (taken from the Romans)

Macedon has been destroyed. We are at war with the Dacians, Scythians, Brutii, and probably soon also the Greeks.

Sorry for leaving a sticky situation for my descendants with protecting the north. The Scythians are about to take Porolissa, I reckon, and it'll take a genius to stop them - although repelling them should be easy with more forces martialled. They have attacked constantly, but presented no real threat until now.

Notes on roleplaying up 'til now. Feel free to drop these things or continue them.

Pytros is the classic Barbarian general. He sees wars as primarily a means of personal profit and glory, and fights mainly for the sake of fighting.

Byzas is more of a Greek: he is cultured and is unwilling to take untenable territory. He also prefers to take developed places.

The two are in constant rivalry, each going for total aggression and conquest to outdo the other, although Byzas is more cautious and also uses a more Thracian army (whereas Pytros uses many, many, many mercenaries)

Edit: Ig, since the upload doesn't seem to be working, could you PM me with your E-Mail and I'll send the file.

It may, annoyingly, be named autosave, since my computer won't save a separate file.

Vuk
11-28-2006, 22:57
Ig, do not let them take Porolissa from us! You can do it man! We have faith in you!!!!!

Also, what skill level is this? I have only played on easy on campaign and battle map. I hope it isn't on hard, as I may get our arses kicked :D.

econ21
11-29-2006, 00:01
I think we should skip over Ignoramus's turn for now, in the light of this post here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1320836&postcount=11

I am going to PM Severous and see if he wants to pick this up.

Severous
11-29-2006, 08:36
Hi

Im game. Orb...clear some space in your message folders and I will send you my email address so you can forward me the save..that is if you dont get the uploader to work.

Cheers

Edit 19:00 GMT 29Nov..no responses. Where do I get the game ?

Orb
11-29-2006, 20:50
My inbox has been emptied

Severous
11-30-2006, 18:06
Save game received. Thanks Orb.

The position:
https://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5738/thrace1fs4.th.jpg (https://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thrace1fs4.jpg)

I willl start playing tonight.

Vuk
11-30-2006, 18:38
Get 'r Done!!

Severous
12-02-2006, 17:51
Done a few years now. Still playing.

Ive noticed lots of strange traits. Loss of eagle standard, roman senate office, faction leader has the faction heir trait. Also the command, management and influence totals dont add up to the traits/ancilleries held. Making me suspect we are playing on different versions...Im on V1.5 without mods. Anyone any explanations?

Vuk
12-02-2006, 17:52
Get it to me while I have time on the weekend!! Come on!!! GIMME GIMME GIMMEE!!

Severous
12-02-2006, 17:55
Weekend is the best time for me also. Been playing all day. I play real slow. I intend only to play 5 years...so could be tomorrow.

Severous
12-03-2006, 08:24
Hi

How is the first write up going ? I have 20 pictures to post from my turn.

I will be finished my 10 turns later this morning and will soon be ready to post my write up and pass the game on.

Vuk
12-03-2006, 15:36
Hi

How is the first write up going ? I have 20 pictures to post from my turn.

I will be finished my 10 turns later this morning and will soon be ready to post my write up and pass the game on.

Must have!! Need to play!!

Severous
12-03-2006, 15:51
Just finished my stint. Uploading as a zip file.....

Cant get the file to upload....

Vuk...pm me your email address ?

Severous
12-03-2006, 16:05
Orb..can you post your write up...or a place holder..so I can post my write up. Thanks.

Vuk..I cant get the uploader to work. So I will email the save if you can get your email address to me. Ta.

econ21
12-03-2006, 16:57
What is the problem people are having with the uploader? Severous - you've used it before; what's going wrong this time round?

I've uploaded Severous's savegame:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/ThraceSum255.zip

Hopefully Vuk can click on the above link and save as to download it.

Vuk
12-03-2006, 17:40
And it is MINE babies!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!

Vuk
12-03-2006, 17:54
Having game trouble...will fix. It may take a day to do my turns, please be patient (look who's talking).

Vuk
12-03-2006, 18:45
:help: It keeps crashing to the menu when I load it.:help:

Severous
12-03-2006, 19:38
econ21

Thanks for your assistance.

As to the upload problem....Ive just got IE7 and its giving me all sorts of warnings. Playing safe I did not run the pop up that came with the uploader. After that I couldnt get it uploaded nor go back and get the option to install the uploader.

Vuk (or anyone else)
I played the game on RTW V1.5 no Mods. I noticed strange traits in the game when I first played it. Traits added during my play seemed ok. I wonder if the game version orb used was different?
Can anyone else open the game ok?

Vuk..I will send you another email with the save game NOT zipped up just in case that helps.

Vuk
12-03-2006, 19:42
Haven't got an email yet, Severous.
I have RTW 1.5. Just installed (I have recently reformatted my hard drive, and needed to install it anew.) a new version.

Severous
12-03-2006, 19:50
Email sent at 18:41 1.3meg attached file.

Vuk
12-03-2006, 19:54
I got it, but now it isn't working either, could someone else download it and try it please. I don't know why it won't work.

Orb
12-03-2006, 20:47
Done a few years now. Still playing.

Ive noticed lots of strange traits. Loss of eagle standard, roman senate office, faction leader has the faction heir trait. Also the command, management and influence totals dont add up to the traits/ancilleries held. Making me suspect we are playing on different versions...Im on V1.5 without mods. Anyone any explanations?

About the only one I can think of is that I started on 1.6, but that shouldn't result in any change other than that the Romans won't have a civil war. It could be a 'weird/unfinished' faction because it's normally non-playable (like Spain, which misses out on loads of things).

My write up isn't going much, I'll put in a reserve post now and finish it up when I have the energy. Wrong combination of Baldur's Gate II and free time :D.

Severous
12-03-2006, 21:41
Thanks Orb. Good luck on Baldurs Gate II.

Vuk
12-03-2006, 22:49
It still is crashing to the menu when ever I load the game. I even tried -show_err but it showed nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Vuk

Severous
12-03-2006, 22:56
Vuk

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have tried it again myself...it works fine.

Can anyone else try it ? To confirm if it works for them ?

Vuk
12-04-2006, 13:25
Vuk

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have tried it again myself...it works fine.

Can anyone else try it ? To confirm if it works for them ?

Has anyone else tried it? My installation is clean and fresh, and I just unistalled it again, deleted the folder, and reinstalled it. It is still not working. If anyone here has any idea, I would be most gratefull.

P.S. The polls for The Conquest of Rome tomorrow, so if you want to join, you'd better hurry.

econ21
12-04-2006, 18:24
I don't think there is anything wrong with the save - it worked fine for me.

Are you sure you have successfully patched your game to 1.5? (I seem to recall you need an intermediate patch - 1.3 or something - first but maybe wrong). You could try to download another save and see if it works. You could try one of the recent Julii ones, they were also vanilla 1.5:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/juliipbm260.zip

Vuk
12-04-2006, 19:07
I don't think there is anything wrong with the save - it worked fine for me.

Are you sure you have successfully patched your game to 1.5? (I seem to recall you need an intermediate patch - 1.3 or something - first but maybe wrong). You could try to download another save and see if it works. You could try one of the recent Julii ones, they were also vanilla 1.5:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/juliipbm260.zip

I needed no intermediate patch because I installed BI. I have downloaded the save, but won't get home till late at night :(

Severous
12-04-2006, 19:57
Ive no idea about BI....but RTW V1.0 needs to be patched to V1.3 and then V1.5. Thanks econ21 for confirming the save position does work.

As Orb has used BI with V1.6 I suspect that is why I am seeing different traits...unless the syle of our play is so different. The 'faction leader' with a 'heir trait' is not right.

Good luck Vuk.

Time for me to go and continue my personal German campaign.

Vuk
12-05-2006, 22:40
I got it working!! Yeehaw!! I'm gonna try to get it done today, but no promises. Sorry about that.

P.S. Looking at the campaign map things looked pretty complicated, do I need to take screenshots of it all and report eerything here, or can I just tell which places I took and give a diplomatic overlay?

Thanks,
Vuk

Severous
12-05-2006, 23:15
:2thumbsup: You got it working.

A few screens would be good. You ok with those? Happy to help if necessary.

Go get em.

Vuk
12-05-2006, 23:23
Ya, now I have to work on that and Conquest of Rome. :D
We are starting CoR today (check the thread out).

Caius
12-12-2006, 19:47
From the RTE forum.

(Vuk is banned and he cant post here so I post for he)

I have started playing and am 7 turns in. I have attacked Rome from the north and take Segesta, Arrirrium, and Arratrium. (I think those are their names.)
I attacked from the South East coast with 8000 men and several agents. I have taken too provences there and am preparing to move on Rome with half my men as I secure Sicily with the rest. I am afraid I'm playing rather recklessly and over extending us, but I'm getting things done. I also took a provence from Scythia, Greece, and Pontace. Rome, however, is what I'm really concentrating on. I am afraid our economy is in shambles and we are getting a lot of rebellions, so I am having to pull back a bit as we have very few men left. I am planning on Blitzing and taking Rome, then building the buildings and managing the economy. If I can conquer Rome by time I'm done, I can get us back on our legs. Scythia is starting to give us quite a bit of trouble also

Vuk
12-22-2006, 00:08
I will be done soon...

(now that finals are over I can play)

Caius
01-02-2007, 16:18
This game is dead, but please send me the file, now i can play and

Vuk, you lost your turn...

If you dont want to follow the game please tell me.

Vuk
01-02-2007, 17:52
I got it done, but have not been able to upload it. I am having trouble with my provider. I will put the file on my drive and go to my school library and upload it there. I will also work on the write-up.
I am very sorry for taking this long, I got very busy and forgot about it. I will get it done by the end of the week if you want to still let me stay.
Also, I finished the Parthia campaign a LONG time ago, but couldn't upload it either. I will get both done by the end of the week.

Caius
01-02-2007, 18:25
I got it done, but have not been able to upload it. I am having trouble with my provider. I will put the file on my drive and go to my school library and upload it there. I will also work on the write-up.
I am very sorry for taking this long, I got very busy and forgot about it. I will get it done by the end of the week if you want to still let me stay.
Also, I finished the Parthia campaign a LONG time ago, but couldn't upload it either. I will get both done by the end of the week.
Sorry for that.I thoughout you forgotten the game.

Severous
01-02-2007, 20:14
Looking forward to the update.

econ21
01-03-2007, 21:26
I've received the savegame from Vuk. We hold 43 provinces, including Rome, so I should may be able to wrap up this PBM in my reign. I will get to it on Friday night.

Caius
01-04-2007, 01:37
Please make the write-up.

And Ascent of the Julii players:
My write-up thread wasnt never done, because Zimfan40 never logged in again :gah:

But who cares?I!:gah2:

econ21
01-06-2007, 01:50
Gah - I am having trouble with this one. Played a turn and then the game crashed when I destroyed the Julii. I think I'm going to have to pull out of this PBM - sorry; too many other commitments. Vuk's savegame is here:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/ThraceWin245.zip

We only need 7 more settlements, so it is eminently doable. Caius, do you want to do the honours and finish this off?

Caius
01-06-2007, 02:04
Thanks for the honors.I will follow the campaign.

Vuk
01-09-2007, 16:05
How goes?

Caius
01-09-2007, 16:09
I dont started yet.

Vuk
01-14-2007, 01:44
Where do I do the write-up? I see no thread.

Severous
01-14-2007, 10:00
Well done Yuk. Its a few weeks since its last post so has sunk down the forum. You needed to change your display options to see posts older than 2 weeks.

Write up thread is here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73269

Caius
01-18-2007, 18:45
I will play when I back to home.

Vuk
02-01-2007, 22:05
Has this died?

Caius
02-02-2007, 01:05
I will finish it when my pc haves internet.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
02-08-2007, 00:57
Hey Caius,

Can I join this and finish it off, since I was told you needed 1 more person :)?

Severous
02-09-2007, 00:28
Hi.

It would be good to see this continue...come to a proper end.

The Thracian adventure should end heroically.

econ21
02-09-2007, 09:03
Warluster: if you don't get a reply from Caius by tonight, I would pick up the savegame and take those last 8 provinces:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/ThraceWin245.zip

But make sure you take some screenshots and do a write-up (doesn't have to be anything grand) so we can put this one to bed properly.

Vorenus
04-05-2007, 08:11
Is it too late to join?

Warluster
04-05-2007, 08:33
I hope not, but this has been awfully down for a while.

I can't play this anymore as I haven't RTW installed!

econ21
04-05-2007, 14:43
Is it too late to join?

No - you can pick up the savegame in my last post and if you take 8 settlements, you can finish this PBM. It won't be easy though - late games are rather demanding in terms of time.

GeneralHankerchief
04-05-2007, 22:39
Eight provinces don't sound too bad. I'll check the thread out and see if I can finish it quickly if Vorenus doesn't reply.