PDA

View Full Version : Fall of Rome mod?

Hross af Guttenburg
11-02-2006, 23:10
This is a classic era with so much to offer, it has been a mod favourite since MTW. I am currently working on the ArthurianTW mod for RTW and I am keen to get people interested in a mod for this era with a view to historical accuracy and depth. The factions' social and cultural backgrounds would be very exciting to depict in a mod with a base-game providing so much room for detail.

I think a good starting point might be anywhere around 350 or 450 onwards. I want to focus on often neglected areas of the campaign map such as Scandinavia and Ireland, not least Britain and western Europe which was in such turmoil here.

The possibilities really are endless and the potential for gameplay and for setting a new standard in reflecting an historical period is very tantalising.

Hross af Guttenburg
11-03-2006, 00:44
Given the 21 faction availablity (if this is not possible to increase) still gives a decent chance to reflect some interesting factions:

Romans
Byzantines
AngloSaxons
AlanVandals
Visigoths
Ostrogoths
Huns
RomanoBritons
Picts
Irish
Swaef-Allemanne
Burgunds
Franks
Arabs
Sassanids
Moors
Geats
Svea
Danes
Slavs

As you can see there will be large superpowers in the central area of the map yet with room for minor factions to cause trouble and even eke out a potential threat in the western isles, the Baltic, the middle east and northern Africa as well as the vast Steppe areas.

I will be looking at making Britain and Ireland a real compact area with an enriched 15-20 settlements and similar so in the Germanic homelands so that warfare is truely rife in the barbaric hinterlands and yet the superpowers have their constant share of invaders and challengers, which due to the promise of trade, alliance and religion/politics in the game we can easily take advantage of to deepen the reality-factor for this age of turmoil.

The unfortunate need for generalising certain factions actually allows the chance to make them more interesting, E.G. in the case of the AngloSaxons we have for instance, the Jutes and Frisians NOT just Angles and Saxons. This will need to be looked at, but with mods like Europa Barbarorum that managed to completely revitalise RTWs tech tree and culture systems it should be possible to represent the variety of a faction's tribal family and it's nobility's diversity. This creates tensions within the faction as regards loyalty and shaping the very character of the domains and people you rule. These are the kind of interests and focus that I personally find so fascinating with both the potential in the game as well as the facts of the historical context the mod will be based on.

Comrade Alexeo
11-06-2006, 04:17
The main thing I can offer is historical advice as a Roman reenactor. While this isn't the time my group portrays, I still believe I know a goodly amount about this period and I imagine some of the other members of my group can help out as well :2thumbsup:

I can also do some skinning work, although I'm not super-great at it, and I could get to work on a trailer of sorts for you if you want.

menander
11-06-2006, 10:40
You might be interested in this mod:

The Gathering Storm (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia
11-14-2006, 06:26
I propose a 'consolidated Late Roman Era project'. There are now several Mods planned for M2TW on the era, there is INVASIO BARBARORUM II, the Gathering Storm, and this.
I personally think it is a good idea to have these several mods as each mod has something different to offer, differnt ideas, different areas of interest, YET, they also have a lot in common. and for these common things, if we all work together we could all present a finished product sooner. if we all go our separate ways, each of us would have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. one team doing the Romans another doing the exact same Romans and still the other doing still the exact same Romans...
What, then, if one team does the Romans, the other team the Germans, and the other the Sassanids? working time is divided into three.
in the end each team would surely want to have their own Romans, their own Sassies, their own Germans but at least a workable, playable version would already have been made - the next step is just improvement - not building from scratch.:yes:

of course, these plans all depend on whether CA will allow us to do any model building soon, as it seems as of now they aren't

NagatsukaShumi
11-17-2006, 11:37
Yeah the decline of the Roman Empire has been a very popular concept of mods for TW for some time, I even attempted one myself back in the days of MTWI, never came to fruition however but it is a very interesting period, the Roman's power is waining and you have a big task to re-instate it, you have rising barbarian powers wanting to become "the new Rome" and so on, very very fasicinating time frame.