PDA

View Full Version : Lags in MP-Battles

Denali
11-11-2006, 16:35
Hey all

Playing 2v2's or 3v3's is almost impossible when its raining (in the game). Seems the GS servers are even worse than before... however imo its mainly cause you cant change the weather-options. In rtw, bi it was also lagging when you forgot the disable rain.

Does any1 know how to change that, not in the game but in a file or sumwhere. Cause as long as this isnt fixed Multiplayer is not playable, at least not teamgames.

tibilicus
11-11-2006, 17:22
Hey all

Playing 2v2's or 3v3's is almost impossible when its raining (in the game). Seems the GS servers are even worse than before... however imo its mainly cause you cant change the weather-options. In rtw, bi it was also lagging when you forgot the disable rain.

Does any1 know how to change that, not in the game but in a file or sumwhere. Cause as long as this isnt fixed Multiplayer is not playable, at least not teamgames.

Give the servers a few days see if there the case. If not we go bring down CA hq!

Anyway nice tos ee you here Den you noobey old noob!

Tib

Orda Khan
11-11-2006, 23:27
Give the servers a few days see if there the case. If not we go bring down CA hq!

Anyway nice tos ee you here Den you noobey old noob!

Tib
Does selecting a season help? Like Spring, Summer? There was always a problem in MTW with 'temperate' it always featured some rain

........Orda

|Heerbann|_Di3Hard
11-12-2006, 00:13
Does selecting a season help? Like Spring, Summer? There was always a problem in MTW with 'temperate' it always featured some rain

........Orda

Spring? There is no spring. Only summer and winter. No arid, desert, lush or temperate. Only a few maps. You cannot customize them much.

It is RTW with an improved battle system and graphics but a performance from hell. That are my first impressions.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
11-12-2006, 05:18
Agrred Di3hard, and I never played it yet..

Try playing at "Normal" units, without any weather stuff,mgiht help

Orda Khan
11-12-2006, 11:50
Spring? There is no spring. Only summer and winter. No arid, desert, lush or temperate. Only a few maps. You cannot customize them much.

It is RTW with an improved battle system and graphics but a performance from hell. That are my first impressions.
Well the feedback on MP is very different to the SP forums and I can't say that I am too surprised. The first warning sign was that SSE disgrace. I voiced my concerns at the time but all that did was get me a warning for CA bashing!!!
Maybe if the moderators played MP they would understand our concerns rather than discussing diplomacy or Princesses for 4 or 5 pages.

Worst thing that ever happened at .Org was the migration of almost all the MP players. We lost our voice and now we are losing this side of the game, it sounds like it's barely playable.
There will be new maps and map packs appearing just like RTW but that alone will not save MP.
We need.....
A stable server.
A clear lobby.
Lag free battles.
A choice up to and including 4v4.
Without the above, flashy graphics mean nothing. MTW provided these and M2TW is supposed to be an improvement?

......Orda

Denali
11-12-2006, 13:52
100% agreed with the above from Orda Khan.

There is an option for the weather but its disabled, you cant choose anything there. This might just be a bug, so CA pls fix it asap, teambattles have to be rehosted like 5 times to finally play with sunshine. Besides, the arent much lags when its not raining or cloudy or sumthing.

If i buy a game for 40 euros i want a lag-free mp. :furious3:

TosaInu
11-12-2006, 14:31
Maybe if the moderators played MP they would understand our concerns rather than discussing diplomacy or Princesses for 4 or 5 pages.

Moderators play MP and understand the concerns. Moderators also issue warnings to SP posters. Not for voicing concerns, but for the way it's done.

Worst thing that ever happened at .Org was the migration of almost all the MP players. We lost our voice and now we are losing this side of the game, it sounds like it's barely playable.

Some MP players think they can say and do anything, including violation of rules and NDA. Years of gentle and less gentle correction didn't sort any effect. Schoolyard bullies have a thin skin and resort to blackchat.

~:wave:

Orda Khan
11-12-2006, 16:25
Moderators play MP and understand the concerns.
Not all of them and from several of their remarks they readily admit to not playing MP and therefore not understanding MP concerns.

Some MP players think they can say and do anything, including violation of rules and NDA. Years of gentle and less gentle correction didn't sort any effect. Schoolyard bullies have a thin skin and resort to blackchat.
Indeed they do but let's not lose sight of the key word... SOME. Without a large collective voice MP will be ignored. In fact it seems it already has

........Orda

TosaInu
11-12-2006, 16:27
Not all of them and from several of their remarks they readily admit to not playing MP and therefore not understanding MP concerns.

Not everyone plays SP either, some play both.

Indeed they do but let's not lose sight of the key word... SOME. Without a large collective voice MP will be ignored. In fact it seems it already has

I do not lose keywords out of sight.

Puzz3D
11-12-2006, 17:32
Indeed they do but let's not lose sight of the key word... SOME. Without a large collective voice MP will be ignored. In fact it seems it already has.
Even if we had a collective voice, CA now ignores petitions, and I believe bans them from the official site. It's pretty clear they don't want a collective voice to be raised.

Orda Khan
11-12-2006, 21:06
Very true Puzz3D, but they are in that position because the MP community left these forums. I certainly think CA view this place and act on certain issues. We all know how bad RTW was for MP, what did CA do about it? If there were a few more dissatisfied players they may take notice, they fixed some things in SP afterall. My comments regarding the moderators and SP were simply highlighting this point. I posted in the M2TW Bug thread, the identified bug was MULTIPLAYER however that was deleted (which is a shame). I find this the action of an overly protective moderator. No patch is going to fix the state of MP so in the present circumstances I guess the best course of action is to draw a line under Total War

.......Orda

Marius Dynamite
11-12-2006, 22:57
I think in the expansion CA simply must make the battles with less lag. I Can imagine other game developers laughing as they have this conversation:

".. Ha, those fools at CA thought they made a break through with each unit looking individual and units actually hitting each other.."

".. Yeah, they dont release that anyone could do that, we just don't because no one can play it.."

That is literally what I think. I feel CA have made an excellent campaign and the AI is great. Now for the expansion they should focus on making battles lagless and Improving Sprites, which are simply awful. I have never had a multiplayer battle cancelled by GS in M2:TW.

All my battles, however, have had at least 1 person lagging and it is just not worth playing.

A petition for the Expansion to be playable sounds good to me. :egypt:

|Heerbann|_Di3Hard
11-13-2006, 10:08
I think in the expansion CA simply must make the battles with less lag. I Can imagine other game developers laughing as they have this conversation:

".. Ha, those fools at CA thought they made a break through with each unit looking individual and units actually hitting each other.."

".. Yeah, they dont release that anyone could do that, we just don't because no one can play it.."

I am sure, CA isn't interested in solving the mp problems. They don't listen to long-term mtw player. The best would be if they had shrinked the multiplayer to 1vs1. I had saved my time and hadn't to write here. I would play other games.

They want to play in the ESL lol. I want to see the replays. The player with the most powerful computer wins the battle :wall:

R'as al Ghul
11-13-2006, 10:46
I posted in the M2TW Bug thread, the identified bug was MULTIPLAYER however that was deleted (which is a shame).

Was any explanation offered as to why it was deleted?

R'as

Orda Khan
11-13-2006, 11:31
Was any explanation offered as to why it was deleted?

R'as
No, it was just deleted

.....Orda

TosaInu
11-13-2006, 13:24
The very first post:

I guess we need a bug list. Please post only bugs here (although you can correct posts that are mistaken in their reports). Remember a bug is something that is not working as intended - this is not the thread to talk about historical inaccuracies or questionable game design decisions.

To make it a useful reference, they could be bugs that you have heard of elsewhere - for example, the passive AI bug that CA have already promised to patch. But obviously, don't needlessly duplicate bugs already reported in this thread.

I doubt I am going to do CAs work for them by systematically collating the bugs, so you will have to read the whole thread if you want to know them all.

PS: I'm going to be ruthless with this thread and delete anything that does not report a bug or add to our understanding of one. Apologies in advance - no offence is meant to anyone.

Several posts got deleted for different reasons: not being a bug, inserted in other posts, already reported, ot (keep in mind that that topic is a to the point BUG thread, purpose being to identify BUGS and hopefully have them fixed). That has nothing to do with being overprotective.

Here's a bug...........

MULTIPLAYER

......Orda

Orda Khan
11-13-2006, 13:58
In any case I stand by my first post, multiplayer is a bug. Reading the posts here in M2TW Multiplayer shows there are major problems. If we are not allowed to post about it in a bugs thread maybe it should have been re-named 'M2TW SP Bugs Thread'.

Deleting posts without explanation is bordering on censorship. Nothing in my post was offensive, I did not break forum rules

......Orda

R'as al Ghul
11-13-2006, 14:00
Well, fair is fair Orda. Econ's P.S. should've been a warning to you.
Don't get me wrong, I share your feelings but it apparently won't help us to just say that MP is bugged.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a list of Multiplayer problems/ bugs.
I don't think there's any policy against that?
TWCenter forum almost mirrors the threads in our MP section, so it seems to me that these are common problems and not just the opinion of a few.
It would be nice if CA could continue their policy of interaction with the fans, which has improved a bit in the last months, and give a statement on the most obvious problems. I could imagine that it would really help.
If for example CA said that we don't need to bother with MP if we run AthlonXP CPU's than we'd know where we stand.

R'as

Puzz3D
11-13-2006, 16:26
Gil Jaysmith said that RTW multiplayer costs CA more resources than it was worth. He estimated that RTW v1.0 multiplayer took 15% of their resources to develop, but accounted for less than 5% of the sales revenue. The RTW v1.2 patch was a major 3 month effort, involving 25 of CA's 74 devs and a large community beta team, which among other things solved a couple of serious MP technical problems and is why RTW MP is even playable now.

This pattern of releasing the game with serious MP technical problems seems to be repeating in M2TW. If you recall, it was the same story with MTW multiplayer which had a severe dropping problem. Maybe CA will correct the technical problems in M2TW. Remember, it required a multiplayer petition (no longer allowed) and threats of legal action and writing to game magazines to get them to fix RTW MP.

At least the delayed release in the USA and other places has given an opportunity for prospective customers to be made aware of the technical problems in MP. If your primaty interest is MP, I can't see why you would buy this game. It would be better to wait and see if CA fixes the techical problems in MP.

In the meantime, we played five 3v3 multiplayer battles (5500 men total) in Samurai Wars for MTW/VI v2.01 yesterday in a 2 and 1/2 hour playing session with no lag and no drops. We have a gameplay that's reminiscent of original STW v1.12, but with superior playbalance (no monk rush, etc). We also play on maps that are larger than what you get in RTW or M2TW.

Denali
11-13-2006, 17:41
Don't get me wrong, I share your feelings but it apparently won't help us to just say that MP is bugged.
R'as

Its no use to make a list of bugs, the battles are full of lags thats the only bug so far, some details like overpowered units (such as spanish musketeers) but we can live with that. But we cant live with lags in teamgames.

The TW games always had a big online community, not as big as the sp players maybe, but obviously CA doesnt care about that. GameSpy isnt bad, i heard games where GameSpy is top, but it seems to me that they saved some money at the cost of the Multiplayer.

Im still hoping that there will be a patch to fix these lags, so CA pls, fix it ASAP.

Orda Khan
11-13-2006, 18:34
TWCenter forum almost mirrors the threads in our MP section, so it seems to me that these are common problems and not just the opinion of a few.
It would be nice if CA could continue their policy of interaction with the fans, which has improved a bit in the last months, and give a statement on the most obvious problems. I could imagine that it would really help.
If for example CA said that we don't need to bother with MP if we run AthlonXP CPU's than we'd know where we stand.

R'as
Well AthlonXP issue was supposedly fixed for SP? I had the opportunity to try the game today and the first thing I noticed after trying a custom battle was replay desync. The test was done using XP2600. So has the issue been addressed or not?

Regarding the other issue. There were two Bug threads or at least there are now because one was renamed 'joke'. I can't remember if my post was made before or after that event but that is irrelevant anyway. You saw my quote, it contained nothing offensive and did not break forum rules and it was on topic. If that is deleted then leave a blank post with editing explanation. Removing it completely as if it was never there is censorship.

Remember a bug is something that is not working as intended
Multiplayer fits this criteria, I understand that even in 1v1 players are experiencing lag. We have a MP bug thread now which is better than nothing but if 1v1 causes lag I think the whole thing needs serious attention

........Orda

......Orda

TosaInu
11-13-2006, 19:04
You saw my quote, it contained nothing offensive and did not break forum rules and it was on topic. If that is deleted then leave a blank post with editing explanation. Removing it completely as if it was never there is censorship.

Read the first post again please.

The quote may not be offensive (too much headache here to evaluate all possibilities): it wasn't informative either. What is causing the bug(s), what do you see/not see?

A MP bugs topic is pinned in this forum, feel free to use that.

Denali
11-13-2006, 19:27
Tosa Inu any chance on putting some pressure onto fixing the lags or even to bring pressure to bear on CA?

You guys are even mentioned in the manual under "credits" so you must have some influence :P