PDA

View Full Version : CA modding requests

adonys
11-14-2006, 20:57
Please someone forward this list to CA, asking for:

Please..

1) add custom scripts trigger commands which should trigger custom made scripts when certain conditions are met (at the beginning of a campaign for example would be the most obvious one) = to get rid of the show-me-how inelegant way of trigerring moded scripts for the game

2) remove the what-seems-now harcoded characters aging 1 year/2 turns and export the ratio as a parameter in the descr_strat.txt file (the same as the timescale = years/turns parameter); or at least link it with the timescale one too

3) export a script function to allow character's age testing (to allow constructions like if character_age < 20 etc) if it's not already in the game

4) allow a working command line mod starting

5) enable the campaign editor too (not supported and in whatever state is, it still should be better than nothing)

6) re-add (if deleted) the old RTW units special features (phalanx, etc), at least from coding point of view (ie letting the modders make the animations for this if the old RTW ones can't be used anymore, as they probably are due to the changed skeleton)

oh, and an eventual explanation of how is formation depth influencing the outcome of a melee in M2TW would be nice too (because atm it doesn't seem to have a relevant influence at all, in no way the way it had in RTW)

Arbaces
11-14-2006, 22:01
Requests? This is a tough word. Oh, well, if you make them a better $$$ offer then SEGA does perhaps they will. We don't know if we will be able to edit the models right now you know

As far as I'm concerned...
-there is no chance to get phalanx enabled here in M2TW I guess
-I think most of command lines are available but we don't know them (have you tried let's say, editing descr_strat.txt with an error and adding -show_err ?)

Arbaces.

adonys
11-14-2006, 22:34
requests like in "Can you please..".. that's what the Please.. before all of them was for.

and yes, I did and isn't owrking anymore, unfortunatelly :( so..

7) re-enable the -show_err command line parameter too

Myrddraal
11-14-2006, 23:01
1) add custom scripts trigger commands which should trigger custom made scripts when certain conditions are met (at the beginning of a campaign for example would be the most obvious one) = to get rid of the show-me-how inelegant way of trigerring moded scripts for the game

This already exists I believe...

3) export a script function to allow character's age testing (to allow constructions like if character_age < 20 etc) if it's not already in the game
I don't know it, but it seems likely that this exists.

7) re-enable the -show_err command line parameter too
I believe there is an option in preferences.txt which makes the game save an error log.

adonys
11-15-2006, 00:12
1) .. believe is nothing like there is. also, I don't know from where did you got that I believe feeling, because I've found no statement from CA that they added this feature, nor saw anything like it in current available files from M2TW. and this was one of RTW's modding biggest problems

3) .. again, seems like isn't good enough. Ask the modders who worked with RTW's VnV and ancillaries systems: the lakc of a way to certainly tell a character's age was a very big problem for them, leading to all sort of fantasy tricks to emulate it, none with too much success

7) there's no preferences.txt file in M2TW, and there's no track of such a thing in M2TW's medieval2.preference.cfg file

Lusted
11-15-2006, 00:17
As for 1), you not noticed the campaign_script.txt file in the campaign folder? Or the fact its activated in descr_strat.txt?

So we can now have campaign scripts running in the background, and save the game so no more clicking on advisor to activate stuff.

ER mentioned in one of his reports that there would be a way tog et the game to generate an error log instead of the short messages show_err gave in RTw. Ill try to find the thread.

EDIT; ah here it is:

A great improvement upon show_err in Rome – add the following to your cfg file:

[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * error

And the game will generate a list of the errors in text files it recognises and generate a text file report. Ideal for mod bug hunting! I used it myself and picked up a bunch of mistakes I’d made in a matter of minutes that would have had me scratching my head for hours otherwise.

For even more detail you can put in:

[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * trace

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71291

adonys
11-15-2006, 00:25
no, I must have been blind to miss that file..

but still.. from what I've seen now that've checked that too, I don't know if the descr_strat.txt files support more than one activated campaign script. additional scripting for a campaign would be much easier and cleaner if it would have been done in another than the original script (additions).

log file thinggye.. awesome!

edit: I've started digging in the .exe file.. you may not believe what I've found in there :)

Epistolary Richard
11-15-2006, 09:17
4) allow a working command line mod starting

That's already in there as well, you'll see details of it in the Tuesday report from Brisbane thread. The mod cfg line can also be run through a shortcut.

Lusted
11-15-2006, 11:23
edit: I've started digging in the .exe file.. you may not believe what I've found in there :)

Oh i probably can, but modification of the .exe is ilegal.

PROMETHEUS
11-15-2006, 12:23
Unit importer Exporter

Buildings Importer Exporter

Vegetation Importer Exporter

Sprite Generator

Myrddraal
11-15-2006, 18:14
1) .. believe is nothing like there is. also, I don't know from where did you got that I believe feeling, because I've found no statement from CA that they added this feature, nor saw anything like it in current available files from M2TW. and this was one of RTW's modding biggest problems

3) .. again, seems like isn't good enough. Ask the modders who worked with RTW's VnV and ancillaries systems: the lakc of a way to certainly tell a character's age was a very big problem for them, leading to all sort of fantasy tricks to emulate it, none with too much success

7) there's no preferences.txt file in M2TW, and there's no track of such a thing in M2TW's medieval2.preference.cfg file

I haven't installed the game yet, so I can't check, that's why I said believe...
As you now know, I was correct.

Do you really think I don't know about that? I don't need to ask anyone who modded RTW, because I modded it quite a bit you know. I can't know until we get the docudemon files.

As I said, I haven't installed the game yet. Sorry I got the file name wrong, but what I said was still valid.

I'm surprised at this post to say the least, with very little research you could have found most of your requested features already there. I was trying to be helpful :gah: