PDA

View Full Version : 1 year per turn balancing mod

Quin
11-16-2006, 13:24
I'm planning to make a small game balanicng mod for all of those who modded their game speed to run at 1 year per turn. Namely, in this case the number of turns is doubled so it would be sensible that structures building times would be increased too (preferably doubled). The way things are done now, you can field an army of late medieval units (without gunpowders) in 1200 or even sooner, while "older" units (like Feudal knights) become obsolete very quickly (to be more precise, they are used for only a fraction of actual game playing time). And that's certainly not realistic. Since building times would be increased, income should be slightly lowered (as you couldn't (and wouldn't need to) build structures as often as it is possible now).

Anyone interested?

Turpitudo
11-16-2006, 15:35
It is right that you don't need to build sturctures that often. But decreasing the amount of income would also mean a deacrease of armies, which would make the game more static and you would have big problems, if you are attacked by three opponents at the same time (which happens quite often). At the moment you can just stop building in order to create more armies. With this decrease you would be just outnumbered without the chance to defend yourself proberly.

Of course this is just a guess, but I would suggest to not make this cutback as you have in most cases in the 2 year per turn enough money problems.

Ludivico Sforza
11-16-2006, 16:09
I'm planning a similar mod of my own.

So far Ive got:

1) Timescale to 0.50
2) Quadruple build times (in some cases I will rationalise build times somewhat, so a tavern can be built in a turn, but a cathedral in 20)
3) Increase build and unit costs.
4) Leave income as it is, since you have four times the time to accumulate income.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to add a culture yet? I'd like to extend the game to 1600-ish and add in the Reformation.

PROMETHEUS
11-16-2006, 16:11
what about discoveries and advasncements in technology?

Quin
11-16-2006, 16:22
The reason for cutting down income is simple:since most building would take longer to build (let say that the building time would rise from 2 to 4) you would need to "buy" new building after 4 turns, not after 2. So you would have 2 more turns for accumulating extra profits.

Ludivico Sforza
11-16-2006, 16:37
what about discoveries and advasncements in technology?

These can be added as historical events.

The reason for cutting down income is simple:since most building would take longer to build (let say that the building time would rise from 2 to 4) you would need to "buy" new building after 4 turns, not after 2. So you would have 2 more turns for accumulating extra profits.

Doesn't that assume you are not altering the build costs?

PROMETHEUS
11-16-2006, 17:11
I mean they are random ? Or based on turn count? or year count?

alpaca
11-16-2006, 17:40
I mean they are random ? Or based on turn count? or year count?
You can give a year interval I think from which a year is randomly chosen to generate the event (probably at game start).

Ludivico Sforza
11-16-2006, 18:01
The events are scripted to occur X number of years from the start date.

And yes, you can specify a range of years for the events to occur also.

zarkis
11-19-2006, 10:38
You have to consider population growth values also.