PDA

View Full Version : Denmark

cegorach
11-16-2006, 22:08
The official thread will be used to add more information about the faction.

For now you can post anything you find useful including ideas for faction specific buildings, events, advisors etc MILITARY UNITS EXCLUDED - that is well researched and only later we will possibly need more details.

El-Wrongo
07-30-2007, 23:46
I must say that I am dissappointed of not seeing Norway represented nearly enough (trough Denmark of course), so I thought I would chip in whit what I know of Norway at this time.

The Royal Dano-Norwegian Navy
The Royal Dano-Norwegian Navy consisted of mostly Norwegian sailors, and mixed a officer corps. It was mostly payed for by Norwegian funds. The Navy was at times the largest in Europe.

Taxes
For Norwegians the time under Denmark was a very good one tax wise. The danes had troubles properly taxing the Norwegians, because of distance among other causes.

Army
Norway kept a seperate army, which I don't really know that much of, but would like to hear your ideas on.

On a seperate note. Isn't it time to come up unit rosters for nations? I would mostly like to see this to learn something myself.

Sami, Kvæn etc.
The Sami and Kvæn people can generally be discounted during this period as a force needed to be reckonned with in this setting. The only contributions of value I can see with them is perhaps adding skins as trade goods in the North of Norway.

Culture
Norways population was mostly made up by farmers/fishers and the people who were in their employment. The architecture was mostly wooden/rafted buildings. I can provide more information if I prepare it.

Farming
Sheep farming was big in Norway, this was due to the landscape among other things.

I can go in depth on most topics, but I am afraid that all my books on Norway are at home (my registered address anyway), and I am probably not going home until september.

El-Wrongo
07-31-2007, 00:30
Just thought I would provide some Norwegian names;

Nobility:

* Galtung (unproven, one branch later received a Danish Letters patent, see III)
* Paus (Pauss, de Paus) (unproven, one branch was later ennobled by the Pope, see VI)

[edit] II. Original Danish nobility in Norway

* Huitfeldt
* Kaas (including Munthe-Kaas)

[edit] III. Families ennobled by Letters patent

* Anker - ennobled 1778 og 1798, claims to descend from Swedish nobility.
* Falsen - ennobled 1758
* Galtung, one branch later received a Danish Letters patent, claims to be the original nobility (see I)
* Heubsch - ennobled 1691 - Freiherr rank in Germany
* Kloecker - ennobled 1760
* Knagenhjelm - ennobled 1721
* Løvenskiold - ennobled 1739
* von Munthe av Morgenstierne - ennobled 1755
* Roepstorff - ennobled 1701
* Sundt - ennobled 1733
* Treschow [shoe maker] - ennobled 1812
* Werenskiold -ennobled 1717
* Wibe (Vibe, de Vibe) - ennobled 1634
* Wleugel - ennobled 1782

[edit] IV. Families recognized as Dano-Norwegian nobility

* Aubert - French, ennobled 1612, naturalized
* le Normand de Bretteville (Bretteville) - French, ennobled 1612, naturalized in Denmark in 1804
* Lowzow - from Mecklenburg, naturalized 1777.
* Lützow - German (unproven)
* Staffeldt - Pomeranian, naturalized 1777
* Trampe - Pomeranian, «Count of the Realm» 1735, Danish count rank in 1743.
* Wadenstierna - Swedish, ennobled in 1702, naturalized in Danmark in 1795, Danish Baron in 1806.
* Wedel-Jarlsberg (Wedel, Wedell) - Pomeranian, Dano-Norwegian Marquis rank in 1684

[edit] V. Nobility of rank («Rangadelige slekter»)

* Motzfeldt
* Rosing
* Sibbern

[edit] VI. Foreign noble families without recognition as Dano-Norwegian nobility

* Bülow - German
* Coucheron - Dutch
* De Crequi dit la Rochie - French
* von Ditten - Mecklenburgian
* [von] Haffner - German
* Kaltenborn - German
* von Koss - German
* von Krogh - German
* Michelet - French
* Paus (Pauss, de Paus) - Norwegian family, one branch later ennobled by the Pope, rank of Count. Claims to be one of the original noble families (see I)
* Rokling (Roclenge) - French
* Rughaaz - German, made Norwegian as Rugaas
* Scheel (Skeel) - German (unproven)
* Schlanbusch - German
* de Seue - French
* Stibolt - Danish
* Tillisch
* Weltzin (unproven)
* Zernichow

I belive Norwegian nobility would generally choose danish/german first names or biblical (fx: Kristian, Peter, Johan).

other common norwegian names would be:

Jon
Ole
Hans
Petter
Jens
Øystein
Harald
Halvard
Håkon/Haakon
Olav
Oluf
Magnus
Erik
Eirik
Helge
Arne
Tor
Thor
Jørgen
Jan
Egil
Einar
Pål
Espen
Esben
Per
Sondre
Lars
Anders
Oskar

Norwegian commoners, farmers and also some nobilty generally got their surname from their father.

f.x. Per's fathers name is Hans, Pers name would thus be Per Hansen. This is very common in scandinavia. If Per had a daughter named Ragnhild, her name would be Ragnhild Persdatter. Sen means Son, Datter means Daughter.

This can be used to tell apart nobles from commoners, as nobles would most likely have a foreign name instead of a typical Norwegian name.

f.x. A Kristiansen or Fredriksen, would more likely be of rich or noble background than a Hansen or Olsen. This isn't a fool proof way of knowing though.

Female Norwegian names:

Ragnhild
Åse
Anne
Gro
Gry
Gun
I can actually not think of any names, but it may just be that I am dead tired (tried to think what my aunts name was again, don't remember, bad sign).

Anyways, if you need some help with translating something to Norwegian (Norwegian Army names etc, I can approximate Swedish and Danish as well as Icelandic (just add ur at the end of the word, fx. Good Nightur, and Sleepur, Wellur (oh boy, paranthesis inside paranthesis, that is a sign for me to get to sleep))), I am volunteering to help. (I suggest you PM me at Paradox (HOI, EU) forums, under the same name as here, as I am not sure to check the forum every day.