PDA

View Full Version : Mod Idea - Ship Battles

ShadowStriker
11-21-2006, 21:12
We should be able to play ship battles instead of just watching the outcome, what do yall think of this idea?

alpaca
11-21-2006, 23:17
People tried to do that with RTW. It didn't work out. I don't think it'd be much different with MTW2

Myrddraal
11-21-2006, 23:27
It was tried for MTW and RTW. I'm curious as to how you would go about it though...

Bwian
11-22-2006, 18:54
Here's some of the problems I ran into when I tried something along these lines......

1) I couldn't make a 100% flat battlefield for any battle. The game always made it slightly hilly. I could change the texture of the grass to water....but you don't get hills in water!

2) I couldn't restrict the unit choice so that the AI would actually use the right units in a water battle.

The rest is not actually all that difficult. You can have the ship primarily as missile troops, based on elephants ( in RTW ) with multiple catapults or ballista's replacing the troop models. Physical 'ramming' would result in sinking. I even skinned bits of the ship to the bones, so I could make it break and appear to sink when 'killed'. What spoilt it all was the fact that I could not control the battlefield as I needed.

Belgolas
11-27-2006, 05:28
I don't think it is possible but the next total war should have naval battles. STW-MTW same engine, RTW-M2TW same engine, next total war NEW ENGINE!!

Lord Condormanius
11-27-2006, 05:33
Has anyone seen the Naval Battles in Imperial Glory? It just about the best thing about that game. Otherwise, it's kind of like the first MTW, but in the Napoleonic Era.

Darkarbiter
11-27-2006, 08:53
Has anyone seen the Naval Battles in Imperial Glory? It just about the best thing about that game. Otherwise, it's kind of like the first MTW, but in the Napoleonic Era.
yeh but the only problem is ship battles are great but land battles are bad. What really annoyed me was the way melee works and infinite ammo arts. but if CA were to uhh buy the ship battle engine off eidos that would be pretty cool.

Lord Condormanius
11-27-2006, 09:15
The land battles are irritating to say the least. I've never been able to complete a campaign because I don't like the land battles. But for some reason, the naval battles are really cool. In fact, I think they are the game's only redeeming quality. Otherwise, it pretty well stinks.

WImPyTjeH
11-28-2006, 20:57
To change the terrain can be done but i think it's impossible to imitate the complex movement of a ship or how to put a cannon unit on another unit (ship)

W