PDA

View Full Version : Mod Idea - Alliances providing Units

MadKow
11-22-2006, 22:42
I have no idea if this is moddable. But while i was thinking of the Portuguese units and how to make that army more unique and historical, i wondered how to make English Longbowmen available for Portugal, as they played a somewhat important role in a few key battles against the Spanish, back then.

Making them available for Portugal through a High level Town Hall upgrade could be one way, to make it related with diplomacy. But then it would make little sense to have them available while being at war with, say, England.

So i was wondering how hard could it be making the availability of certain foreign units depend on the diplomatic status of Alliance. Maybe even tie the quality of the troops to how long the alliance lasted... A long term alliance could enable Retinues, while one still fresh but already proven would provide Vanilla Longbowmen, using my starting example.

And if this is impossible to mod, would it be interesting enough for CA to implement in, say, a future expansion?

Darkarbiter
11-23-2006, 10:11
I have no idea if this is moddable. But while i was thinking of the Portuguese units and how to make that army more unique and historical, i wondered how to make English Longbowmen available for Portugal, as they played a somewhat important role in a few key battles against the Spanish, back then.

Making them available for Portugal through a High level Town Hall upgrade could be one way, to make it related with diplomacy. But then it would make little sense to have them available while being at war with, say, England.

So i was wondering how hard could it be making the availability of certain foreign units depend on the diplomatic status of Alliance. Maybe even tie the quality of the troops to how long the alliance lasted... A long term alliance could enable Retinues, while one still fresh but already proven would provide Vanilla Longbowmen, using my starting example.

And if this is impossible to mod, would it be interesting enough for CA to implement in, say, a future expansion?
You can make units avaliable through scripting... I was thinking of something similar to this for RTW elephants for a mod im working on atm. What you need is a pushable button somewhere. Then when the player pushes the button money gets subtracted and a unit gets added somewhere a few turns later.
IF you can test if a nation is allied with another through scripting its surely feasable but then there arent that many pushable buttons unfortunately. I count about 4 or something.

It all depends on whether you can test alliances through scripting but if you can you could either:

Enable longbowmen for portugal if theres an alliance going on(this would require a script thats activated every reload)
or make a pushable button that sends the unit over to a location and subtracts money from the player (wouldnt require a script thats activated every reload but if you want to stop the player spamming these and fine tune it, it would.

Ludivico Sforza
11-23-2006, 17:44
I think one of the merc files allows for mercs to be hired by one faction when it is allied to another. At least thats the impression i got from one of ER's posts.

Epistolary Richard
11-24-2006, 01:04
What should be able to be done - but haven't tried this - is to use the script to detect an alliance and use that to trigger and event. The event can then be used as a conditional in the edb file.