PDA

View Full Version : Colonization: Total War

d1ng0d0g
11-23-2006, 09:54
I was thinking about mod ideas and came up with the idea of adding together two of my favorite games.

Colonization and M2TW seem quite compatible to be used in a modding project.

A map of the entire Americas.

Cities representing the colonies of the Europeans.
Castles representing native villages.

The Papacy as the Europeans Homeland

Politicians spread "independence" which causes the Homeland to become discontent with them.

Homeland Agents spreading "loyalty"

(some script must be implemented that works with independence and loyalty to indicate the moment the battle for independence begins)

Special buildings which are removed after construction (that should be possible) representing taxes to the Homeland which requires a port (of course).

Conquered "villages" can be used to recruit natives (who will have a large terrain advantage)

Higher tier buildings cause more feelings of independence.

Three tiers of roads with the ultimate being railroads (almost instantaneous travel amongst them)

the Colonist will start with expensive and efficient units, while the natives have cheaper units available.

Technology for both factions will improve over time through events, as well as buildings.

Anyways, that's the idea, what do people think ?

Dingo

Darkarbiter
11-23-2006, 09:57
I believe pike and musket total war has a focus on colonisation. Anyway my comments about your ideas:
I was thinking about mod ideas and came up with the idea of adding together two of my favorite games.

Colonization and M2TW seem quite compatible to be used in a modding project.

A map of the entire Americas.

Cities representing the colonies of the Europeans.
Castles representing native villages.

The Papacy as the Europeans Homeland

Politicians spread "independence" which causes the Homeland to become discontent with them.
Sounds possible through religion but it all depends on what the religion hardcode is
Homeland Agents spreading "loyalty"
I dont really understand whats happening there...
(some script must be implemented that works with independence and loyalty to indicate the moment the battle for independence begins)

Special buildings which are removed after construction (that should be possible) representing taxes to the Homeland which requires a port (of course).
Removal of buildings through script is unfortunately impossible (at least in RTW it is)

Conquered "villages" can be used to recruit natives (who will have a large terrain advantage)
Large terrain advantage? Please explain more? Do you meen they get expert at hiding in woods trait or they move faster or get a combat bonus in their homelands? I think it would be better just to keep their stats the same and not allow them to board ships.
Higher tier buildings cause more feelings of independence.
I'd do it through religion but again youd need to see what the hardcode limit for religions is
Three tiers of roads with the ultimate being railroads (almost instantaneous travel amongst them)
Now that sounds hard to do....
the Colonist will start with expensive and efficient units, while the natives have cheaper units available.
Technology for both factions will improve over time through events, as well as buildings.
What do you meen through buildings? Buildable technology? I know units can be added through scripting but im not sure about buildings. My guess is youd probably run into a hardcoded limit somewhere if you try and make things too dynamic
Anyways, that's the idea, what do people think ?
I think id want to see a timeline before i start making any decisions. I assume from the above its focused on America from when the spanish come to 1900(you mentioned railroads)? Im not really interested in American stuff but sounds interesting though

holycow
12-14-2006, 05:01
I've had a similar thought about the perfect game, to combine elements from colonization & tw,

what i wish tw can do:

1. the ability to settle/create a city anywhere on the map
2. ability to build road anywhere with engineer units, not just fixed
3. tech tree not dependent on population, but on tech itself-which then affects which buildings you can build which then affects which units recruitable
4. area of control is not fixed states/provinces but relative to size of cities/forts/roads/armies,etc - a zone of control of sorts
5. a huge map of the whole world and all cultures/nations-that are playable - maybe not all at once - but selectable up to a certain #factions
6. start from humble prehistory till late 19th and if possible modern? although don't know how or if the battle would work with planes and missiles? the action would be just too darn fast
7. real naval battles, not just auto
8. ability to build more than one building at a time, i like what they did with unit recruitment in m2, hated mtw - where is the logic that is takes 8yrs to build one building and a spearmaker of all things? colonization had the right idea, that a city produces certain production/income points and that could be applied and adjusted to your needs - whether to produce units or buildings
9. wonders of the world that can be built anywhere as long as tech is reached
-and those effects don't diminish over time
10. regional specific units/buildings that can be recruited/built, not just as merc
11. resource/trade specific tech/units/buildings-honestly, without a source of iron how can you create iron or steel armour/weapons - makes trade sanction/blockade that much more painful - which brings me to an aspect of diplomacy that can really affect gameplay
TRADE SANCTIONS - an option to outright war, if you and your allies don't trade or place tarriffs on an enemy or faction - it can really squeeze that faction, case in point - modern trade sanction/embargo to N Korea, but in the game without a specific resource or access to - limits income/buildings/units
12. when you destroy/conquer a faction-then get the access to their units/tech in recruit/build que -case in point -end of ww2, allied mad dash to find german researchers and tech - which lead to their incorporation in NASA
13. ability to build towers/forts without general/gov
14. trade also increases tech, not just $$
15. an alliance that really matters- maybe increase value of trade/tech/units/etc - in all these tw's - an alliance has no real value- they don't help militarily or with trade issues, the only thing they're good for is breaking
16. LASTLY, and most importantly, ability to design own castle/fortress/city/etc on battle map - at any time or once you've tech or reached pop milestone, you then get to design castle/etc depending on $$ in treasury - as you all probably know, once the cannon became common in sieges, high, thin-walled castles were on the way out, and were redesigned as low fortresses/citadels

While some if not all things onthe list are not moddable, well that's my wish list for Santa - errr - Sega/Acitivision/CreativeA/lonely programmer?

holycow
12-14-2006, 05:28
a few more things, and these may actually be moddable/scipted

1. ability to change/edit city names once conquered and give names to kiddos when born
2. give spy ability to princesses - an additional incentive to marry off princess to another faction - that is ability to see info on husband and the army/city he's in - historically not all princesses were loyal to their adoptive nation - that is the one they married into.
3. nix the papal/pope/excommunication element - the excomm is soo annoying, the Eng/Frch fought 100yr war and neither one got excomm for that!!!!