ihategamespy
11-23-2006, 20:50
Can you do it, and how? Thanx.

Agapeus
11-26-2006, 14:57
Hi,

locate the file of ur M2TW.
open:

My Computer / c: / program files / SEGA / Medieval II Total War / data / world / maps / campaign / costum / e3_campaign_demo / descr_regions.

the first u will see is:

North_America
Miccosukee
england
Native_Rebels
212 198 206
tobacco, coal, america
religions { catholic 0 orthodox 0 islam 0 pagan 95 heretic 5 }
Inverness_Province

where 2 is base farm value. down at other regions on the same page the value might be higher.

change it in 1 or 0 at all regions. just delete 2 and type 1 or 0.

it will look this way:

North_America
Miccosukee
england
Native_Rebels
212 198 206
tobacco, coal, america
religions { catholic 0 orthodox 0 islam 0 pagan 95 heretic 5 }
Inverness_Province

do it at all regions with care (sorry if im being annoying ). it will take awhile.

the "save as" on your desktop or a "new file"

after that you open:
My Computer / c: / program files / SEGA / Medieval II Total War / data / world / maps / campaign / imperial campaign.

just drag with your mouse the "descr_regions" over there.

now the pop growth rate will be on zero or even negative, forcing you and the AI to concentrate on building farms to acheive a decent pop growths.

however this will slow down the development in general thus adjusting the time in game is cool and gets u much more turn for gameplay.
if you r interested:
open:
My Computer / c: / program files / SEGA / Medieval II Total War / data / world / maps / campaign / imperial campaign / descr_strat.

the beginning is like:

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign imperial_campaign
playable
england
france
hre
spain
venice
end
unlockable
sicily
milan
scotland
byzantium
russia
moors
turks
egypt
denmark
portugal
poland
hungary
end
nonplayable
papal_states
aztecs
mongols
timurids
slave
end

start_date 1080 summer
end_date 1530 winter
timescale 2.00

change as following:

start_date 1080 summer
end_date 1630 winter
timescale 1.00
meaning that the game will end in 1630 giving you a more 100 years, and that in place of 2 years / turn you will get 1 year / turn a cool 550 tunrs game

enjoy :2thumbsup:

ps the above info is not my idea but is from other several mod forums. i play now M2TW with those modifications & the game is more balanced & cool. beside those mods one can mod the strength of factions or diplomatic relations or events ( like in 1 y/t u dont want to get the gun powder discovered in 1150 !!! , but rather 1350 or latter) etc. feel fre to contact for more info. if you already know all the above i appologies.
long live M2TW

ihategamespy
11-26-2006, 18:17
Thanx a lot man! Now i have all the info i need to start a campaign.

Agapeus
11-26-2006, 18:40
Cool !!!:bounce:
im glad i could help, but reduce the diplomacy standings a bit, makes game more dynamic; down in "descr_strat". i left the slave unchanged , and well made the islamic factions to be friends and the turks to really conquer Constantinople thus they go after the Byzantine Emp, rather than egyptians.

ex as is in my "descr_strat" ( the first 5 lines)
faction_standings england, -0.1 france, scotland
faction_standings england, -0.6 slave
faction_standings scotland, -0.1 england
faction_standings scotland, 0.1 france
faction_standings scotland, -0.6 slave

also change in "descr_events" the gun-powder event ; i believe that adding a value of 100 to both figures will do. but here how is in mine:

; ------------ CORE GAME EVENT --------------
event historic mongols_invasion_warn
date 228 244
event historic gunpowder_discovered
date 300 320
movie event/gunpowder_invented.bik

now im messing around with all. just some back ups then i just try all that can by tried:charge:

Re Berengario I
11-26-2006, 19:39
date 228 244
date 300 320

now im messing around with all. just some back ups then i just try all that can by tried:charge:

Values in events should be in years FWIK, not in turns, so modding them should be unnecessary unless you wanna have some different dates.

I already run a campaign with 2 turns for year and events seemed to fire correctly without editing.

Also if you increase the power of the rebel faction a tuning of the diplomatic standings is necessary together with changing the victory conditions as most of them are VERY unrealistic.

Agapeus
11-26-2006, 21:41
hm with me i had it at 1 year/turn & the gun powder arrived after 80 turns or so .... year 1160 i think .... now after i did changed the values as above im in turn 135 and no sigh of gunpowder - ill wait & see.
and now those rebel r powerful ! sieging york !!! and all those huge powers r hammering every settlement i get plus well i get now an alliance that lasts more than 3 turns ... hm i dont know but imho i find now M2TW more challenging ....

Agapeus
11-27-2006, 13:32
@ Re Benengario I ,
:boxing:

Also if you increase the power of the rebel faction a tuning of the diplomatic standings is necessary together with changing the victory conditions as most of them are VERY unrealistic.

U might be right. so far i had to change diplomatic relations 2 times because after i gave the HRE a standin of -6 with Denmark, the turks & egiptians m8s at 0.2 ; egiptians & moors m8s at 0.2 as well ; France - Milan at -8 ( well i tried ) nothig happened till turn 45 when i decided to stop. No wars no aliances nothing.

thus I just kept the halfed values copared with the original & gave a lower agressions for turks & egiptians ( -1 ). Now in turn 50 in a new campaign things go cool ( imo ): scotland took Dublin from me so i had to contra atack. milan is trying to get to me but France is quite strong and kept them at bay; Denmark got Antverp before me & Bruge is still rebel. :eeeek:

How in the above case will victory condithion be afected i have no idea. I thought till now that is kind off "my" victory condition thus i need to hold 50 regions including Jerusalem ...... if im wrong ill have to get more into changing diplomatics; i'll see...

i tried the 2y/t as well but its very slow ( at least for what im expecting :duel: from my game ) ; and to put it frankly im waiting for the patch to get things right. so far im kind of experimenting and im having alot of fun:charge:

Values in events should be in years FWIK, not in turns, so modding them should be unnecessary unless you wanna have some different dates.

here indeed i should look more carefully; but so far i did not find any exact example like "do it so" ; "change that" replacing the original "this" .... or i didnt look enough (im kind of slow in understanding things like this because inglish isnt my mother language :sweatdrop: )

but in (ill quote myself):

date 228 244
date 300 320

the original values forced as i said , the gun powder event to occur earlier. but at that stage i didnt change the base farm values & i did advance quickly..... perhaps that was the reason.:wall:

all in all this is how im running my game now:

1y/t end game in 1630
base farm value 0 (replacing 2)
+2000 florins king purse above the original value for: HRE ;Fr ; Turks ; Moors ; Egyptians & slave
diplomatic values halfed except for slave
added 1 extra spearunit/general to : HRE ;Fr ; Turks ; Moors ; Egyptians

but if ill find something new ill change it asap :yes:

c u around m8
:beam:

Re Berengario I
11-27-2006, 15:23
I'm using 2 turns/year and I'm happy with it, I decreased a lot the base farming in the descr_regions.txt (ex 9 became 3 and 4 to 1) and gave just 2000 florins to all factions as king's purse plus I used the script used by the Deus Lo Vult mod to give additional 5000 florins to each factions which rules less than 3 regions when it's going broke (less than 6000 florins in the coffer).

This till waiting for the unpacker because I couldn't edit the cost of the units and agents and most factions went broke.

I also almost halved the diplomatic relationships between the factions trying also to make muslims and orthodox more unit (gave a 0.1 for their interrelaction). BUT I also changed the descr_win_conditions so England out of example should get Dublin, Edinburugh and Paris and 10 regions in short, the same plus Jerusalem and 15 regions in long. The result is that the factions behave a lot more historically.

Another change is a great injection of cash to the slave faction and I also gave them more units in the starting rebel settlements to avoid the rush to catch them all and after about 60 years some of them are unconquered still (which is good imho). Plus I also slightly increased the chance to have brigands wandering around.

Another editing I made was giving french and byzantine generals a loyal_starter of -1 (because historically they had a very rebellious nobility) but I still have to notice some rebellious general wandering around, so it seems to not work (bad).

Anyway the outcome right now it's the HRE being vassal of Milan and reduced to 3 regions, the byzs are keeping their regions pretty well, Venice expanded historically managed to capture Budapest too in one of the many eastern wars (Crete was assigned to the Byzs, just in 1300 Crete was venetian bah).

Problems: AI is behaving well, playing as Scots England didn't assault me until I was weakened by a lost assault on Wales (hehehe effect of having more rebel troops) but it continue to trying to assault Dublin from Wales because it's their nearest region now but not noticing there's NOT a landbridge there.

Same with England-France, not having a landbridge between England and Norther France prevents England to expand in the right way.

Unfortunately till the unpacker I cannot edit the siege duration to reflect timescale, to increase the effectiveness of fortifications (middle-age warfare in the western lands was a siege affair mostly, if you wanna have field battles go crusade in the east were the missile cavalry rules). It's completely ridiculous my byzs could subjugate the west with missile cavalry units storming settlements with quick sieges waiting the defenders to sort out just to be slaughtered with arrows (passive AI).

I know most of ppl don't like siege battles and it has been said that the quickness of when the walls come down represents the continuos work of the siege engines during the turns, BUT, in terms of abstraction, the settlement represents ALSO all the castles, keeps and other fortifications scattered through the region so it's silly for a region like say Bologna (where I live :yes: ) where there was a castle upon each hill to be taken in 2 years because the attacker has some ballistas.

Agapeus
11-27-2006, 16:17
:croc:

I know most of ppl don't like siege battles and it has been said that the quickness of when the walls come down represents the continuos work of the siege engines during the turns, BUT, in terms of abstraction, the settlement represents ALSO all the castles, keeps and other fortifications scattered through the region so it's silly for a region like say Bologna (where I live ) where there was a castle upon each hill to be taken in 2 years because the attacker has some ballistas.
:yes:
Amen !
:yes:
I love both siege & field battles. in siege if my back its ok i asault after 2 or 3 turns, but if deffenders r cool then i wait till they come out ( less nr ) - but mostly im attacked by a 2nd armmy thus siege transforms in a field battle.
in defence i moqstl contra attack rght away 2 - 3 balistas 4 archers backed by 4 spear & 2 cav. bo matter what; i allwais win. even on vh/vh.
i think is a bug: 3 balistas set fire to catapults & balistas of the attacker (since this is not the 1st defence, my balistas r at a higher exp nr) my archers in line with balistas (out side the gate), will kill the mostly crosbows. then ( here comes the "bug" in imho) : the enemy's army will just sit there being actually exterminated by my 3 balistas & the remaining archers. odd.
:charge:
then a quick contra assault with all my troops (including the balistas servants).
and an enemy army of lets say: 6 armoured swordsmen 3 crosbows 6 spear 2 or 3 catapults ( or 3 trebuchets) + gen bodyquard & aditional 2 or 3 feudal knights cav ; ends up with remianing 100 men ( if they r lucky) out of some 1000 while me loose max 150....
this works all the time & i repeat at vh/vh ! now something to mod the AI behaviour would be cool wouldn't you agree. couse its kind'a getting borring ....

!!!

I decreased a lot the base farming in the descr_regions.txt (ex 9 became 3 and 4 to 1)

i did set them ALL at 0 = all negative values of pop growth; but is cool - now im really struggling to build a farm & im happy for it!

well slave didnt really matter for i am more like really having the epic battles french-english ; milan HRE etc. thus i let the slaves be. perhaps after a lot of sweating the game will be historical to the letter. but so far im content like, lets say : i arrive near Constantinople to find the turks with huge armies over bosfor or even in the city it self, or loose badly 3 entire armies for a successful crusade. thus i over-powered the turks. & too keep busy the spanish the moors r really strong. ( it turned out : portugeze sieging caen ! )
and i would like when i get to HRE to find those tuetonik knights and not militia in shorts waving spoons at me ! :smash:
u say 2 y/t is ok ... didnt u get the impression of being to slow ? or was just me ?.....

:shakehands:

Re Berengario I
11-27-2006, 16:39

the enemy's army will just sit there being actually exterminated by my 3 balistas & the remaining archers. odd.

AI PAssive bug which will be *hopefully* solved with the upcoming patch

i did set them ALL at 0 = all negative values of pop growth; but is cool - now im really struggling to build a farm & im happy for it!

Well, I tried it firsthand but problem is that the maintenance costs for troops and agents are STILL calculated over 1 turn/2 years so most of the faction go broke and you'll find out this:

and i would like when i get to HRE to find those tuetonik knights and not militia in shorts waving spoons at me ! :smash:

because factions cannot afford to build better recruitment buildings and troops. More than so if you think carefully at it it'll be evident that most of the income will come from commerce and not agricolture, heavily unbalaning all the campaing (still with farming incomes being divided loosy in 4 Milan and Venice are dominating my campaign, so I have to find a solution for this).

well slave didnt really matter for i am more like really having the epic battles french-english ; milan HRE etc. thus i let the slaves be.

I hated the starting run to get easy-to-conquer settlements, it is silly.

Anyway now I'm trying to use a larger campaign map (I found out a nice guy already did the gross work for me :laugh4: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69936
proper credits will be given if my modifications will become a public mod of course)

Now I will just have to wait for the unpacker to add a <bip>load of new regions into middle-europe to make the game more competitive.

Agapeus
11-27-2006, 17:24
Anyway now I'm trying to use a larger campaign map (I found out a nice guy already did the gross work for me http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69936
proper credits will be given if my modifications will become a public mod of course)
:listen:
Well that what im intersted about : a cooler map. not that the original isn't good ; but it can be better :beam:

i just tried some new settings but in the end is just running in circles. if that fits then the other fails ... ehh ...

because factions cannot afford to build better recruitment buildings and troops. More than so if you think carefully at it it'll be evident that most of the income will come from commerce and not agricolture, heavily unbalaning all the campaing (still with farming incomes being divided loosy in 4 Milan and Venice are dominating my campaign, so I have to find a solution for this
~:smoking:

ok what about increasing the , lets say HRE kings purse at 5000 or even more. would that help'em to be there enough for me to come & kick'em out of M2TW's history ? or as i've seen in another drescr_strat : Denmark get -9 standing with slave and that's it leaving HRE at least for a while in peace Pols & Hungarians go for sofia as well as Biz - while Milan goes for france and Biz ; all in all ; HRE has some time .... brrrr the greasy maze of politics is enveloping even a decent script file of a game ... ( hehe)~:yin-yang:
im waiting with that (!) map tho ; but let me know what u think and if you come out with something cool - im all downloading and fingers seating on my keyboard !!
~:wave: