PDA

View Full Version : M2 HRE Test Imperial Diet Deliberations

Lucjan
11-24-2006, 21:48
This Thread is for the passing of Edicts and other deliberations that may occur in the Imperial Diet sessions. The first one starts today!

I believe it is now 8:45 PM GMT Friday, this session will last until 8:45 PM GMT on Monday.

Players are also encouraged to go to the Imperial Deliberations and set their first turn orders.

Tamur
11-25-2006, 09:02
Fellow Dukes, Counts, and others of the Imperial court,

It is with great anticipation that I address you today. We face challenges on from all sides. We are surrounded by those who were once part of the Empire but who have either recently or in the past broken from us. Our cardinal, as pious and devout as Saint Peter, is looked on narrowly by that Pope who sits in Rome. Trade with other nations has reached a low point beneath which we can hardly sink.

My nature, as you must know, is to do something about these things rather than let them stand. We must start again to build the Empire into something our children will be proud to take as their own.

I suggest three courses of action:

First, trade. I suggest that Princess Agnes be sent immediately to use her not inconsiderable beauty to secure trade agreements with the Hungarians and the Polish. Good relations with these two nations will secure our eastern border, and bring much wealth to the Empire. I do fear she will be offered for marriage before this happens, and I must warn in the strongest possible language that any offers of marriage be rejected until those trade agreements are secured!

Second, I suggest that someone question Captain Markus on his foolish and seemingly senseless laying of an ambush west of Hamburg! I realise he is young and inexperienced, but this is an almost criminal waste of the Imperial army. I would instead suggest that the army be reinforced and take Hamburg itself rather than sit on the road like petty bandits. I can offer one unit of Spear Militia to this cause.

Third, though it is not indeed my greatest love, someone ought to look to the spiritual well-being of such regions as Frankfurt -- no blame should be attached of course to our righteous leader Chancellor Dietrich, but the level of attention the common people there pay to the Church is a bit of an embarrassment to the Empire.

May you all remain in good health and with God,

Duke Leopold

[EDIT]:

My fellow landed nobles,

I humbly request that any of you endowed with a Castle write to me as soon as time comes available, so that we might discuss an agreement of mutual benefit regarding the protection of the wealthy but poorly garrisoned region of Vienna.

Yours, in God,
Duke Leopold

Lucjan
11-25-2006, 14:49
Are these requests to be noted as edicts good Leopold?

If so, I would like to suggest that perhaps the Hungarians and the Polish wait a while. They are not the most wealthy of our neighbors and Poland does not yet even border us. Could I persuade you instead to let our beautiful princess deal with Milan and Venice? Trade from there could bolster the coffers more immediately and substantially than Poland or Hungary. Though those two are also good ideas, I would prefer to send a diplomat rather than risk the life of our princess so far from Imperial lands. A diplomat could deal with Hungary, the Poles, and then Denmark before returning to Franfurt.

As for Captain Markus, he is young and a bit naive. I will be joining him at the helm of the Imperial Army soon to see that Hamburg is brought back into the fold, provided the dukes see this as the best course of action. As for reinforcements, Hamburg is weak, and a fast strike would be preferable to giving it time to bolster its defences or for the Danes to simply walk in and take it.

As for the spirituality of Frankfurt, I have become a bit concerned with this as well, and would like our Cardinal to come to Frankfurt in person to oversee the construction of a church there, and perhaps stay a while to further educate the population in the ways of God.

I hereby propose the following edicts.

1 - Trade Agreements are to be offered to Venice and Milan by the Princess, who can then be married off to a suitable noble.

2 - Trade Agreements are to be offered to Hungary, Poland, and Denmark in that order, by a diplomat from the Imperial Court.

3 - Hamburg is to be brought back into the Empire within the next four years (two turns).

EDIT:

I wonder what the position of the dukes is in regards to Hamburg. The Imperial Army is very close by, and within four years (two turns) I could meet up with it to besiege and fell the city, increasing the Imperial Territory's income. This could alleviate some taxation on our dukes.

Also, what would the dukes say to the proposal of trade agreements to the nations of Venice and Milan, and to a Trade Agreement and Alliance with Denmark?

econ21
11-26-2006, 02:09
Duke Leopold, I control our only non-Imperial castle. Please outline what you would like me to do with regard to the defence of Vienna.

I should say that my financial position is very poor and I am contemplating disbanding my standing army to save on upkeep so that I can eventually obtain the funds required to upgrade the keep. If anyone would like to purchase my existing troops, it would avoid the waste of disbanding them.

I will support the Chancellor in his plans and second his edicts. I would also welcome his advice on how I should acquire the money necessary to upgrade Innsbruck castle, giving other Dukes access to better trained men.

He should also consider whether the Empire would wish to receive a gift of my infantry (bearing in mind this would men paying the upkeep). And I would welcome his opinion on where the greatest threat to the Empire lays - particularly if he believes Innsbruck itself would be threatened if not garrisoned by any infantry.

Lucjan
11-26-2006, 04:35
To leave Innsbruck completely undefended would be folly, as both Venice and Milan are powerful neighbors with close borders there, and we aren't yet sure of their intentions. Perhaps an edict declaring your direct desires for Innsbruck could be outlined?

I would currently be willing to allow the Imperial coffers to absorb the cost of taking one of your spear and archer regiments into the Imperial garrison at Staufen.

I would also like to propose an edict altering our taxation levels for the next 10 years (five turns).

My review of our income suggests that in order to bring some money for advancement into the ducal households the Imperial tax must be lessened. Some disbandment will occur in the Imperial garrisons to allow our coffers to handle upkeep. But what is necessary must be done. The Imperial disbandment orders will be detailed more directly in the strategy room (The Orders Thread).

My suggested change for Imperial taxation is as follows.

Taxation Edict #1
1 - Until Bologne can put it's 1,000 florin grant to use in getting back on it's feet, the Imperial coffers will cover the cost of their 20 florin deficit.
2 - Taxes for Vienna set to 200 florins.
3 - Taxes for Innsbruck set to 0.
4 - Taxes for all other settlements will remain as is until we hear from the
occupying nobility, at which point this clause of the edict will be altered.

Tamur
11-26-2006, 04:40
Two matters:

First, what level of imperial tax are we to be facing for the coming few years? My accountants are a bit concerned that we faced 100% tax this year, and could face 100% tax in future years as well -- a prospect that pleases few.

Second, I appreciate the honest mention of your financial position, Duke Otto, and would like to help with it. Depending on what answer I receive regarding tax rate, I would be willing to pay you for part of your army, so do not disband quite yet.

I agree that Venice and Milan pose the greatest threat, as well as offer the greatest benefits, to the Empire at this time. If the Princess could be married to one of Venetian or Milanese blood, that would be a coup indeed! And I do second the edict regarding Hamburg, may it fall swiftly and with little pain.

edit: ask and ye shall receive! Please ignore my question regarding tax rate.

Lucjan
11-26-2006, 04:46
I have suggested a 200 florin tax for Vienna, at the very high taxes you've set this would amount to Vienna acquiring 742 florins income (every turn) if absolutely nothing changes in Vienna's economy. Though this is almost an impossibility as roads and the merchant you've commissioned will raise your cities trade level fairly.

Tamur
11-26-2006, 05:53
I will agree to the Chancellor's tax edicts wholeheartedly. My merchants will be exceedingly glad to see this money put to use locally, and my appreciation can only be shown in future service of the Empire.

Duke Otto, I must review the new tax information I have received and determine the best course of action. I can at least say with certainty that I will be able to afford to purchase from you one unit of Mailed Knights. The hire of other troops is possible in future, but again, my accountants are working on this problem.

econ21
11-27-2006, 01:35
Chancellor, I am bemused by your proposed Imperial tax schedule. Currently, Vienna is making a gross profit of 521 with normal taxes and hence paying that much to the Imperium. You propose to lower her Imperial taxes to 200, despite knowing that she can increase her gross profits still further by raising local taxes.

By contrast, Innsbruck is making a gross profit of 78 and cannot change her local taxes, yet you propose lowering taxes to 75.

I wonder, what have the good, hard-working but poor citizens of Innsbruck done to deserve a miserly tax cut of 3 florings while their richer cousins in Vienna will benefit from a tax cut a hundred times bigger, of 321 florins?!?

I fear I cannot support this tax bill - my subjects would lynch me if I did!

I am grateful, however, for the offer to pay the upkeep of some of my men. Unfortunately, I fear this would be against article 5.7 of our constitution unless it were formally proposed and passed as an edict.

Duke Leopold, if you would like knights to be recruited for you from Innsbruck, I suggest we formalise this. Please post a contractual offer (in the orders thread) and I will accept or decline it. I believe the Chancellor has on another occasion suggested a 25% mark up on the purchase price, which would seem reasonable.

And gentlemen, lest you think I am being too money grabbing here, I would assure you that my concern is only raising the 2400 funds to upgrade my keep to a castle. With a new profit of only 3 florins every two years, it will take me a fair while to achieve that.

On the subject of disbanding some of my men in order to start accumulating a surplus, I will propose disbanding one archer and one spearman unless the Chancellor advises that even that economy too risky.

I should also say that I am eager to see action and am willing to be posted anywhere that the Chancellor bids fit (ooc: to avoid autocalcs).

Lucjan
11-27-2006, 07:35
Duke Otto,
Your concerns are not without reason, and I had intended on lowering Innsbruck's tax levels upon hearing from more of our nobility, but time is getting short and I don't know whether we will or not, so I'm lowering the proposed tax level for Innsbruck to 0. I realise the impoverished state of your castle, and pending the size of Imperial coffers in 10 years time, may be interested in passing an edict to have Imperial coffers finance the construction of a larger castle in Innsbruck rather than having the funds come from your own ducal treasury.

I thought I had made mention of that, you'll have to forgive my absent mindedness.

econ21
11-27-2006, 10:32
Chancellor, with a tax of zero for Innsbruck, I would be happy to support your tax schedule.

The idea of a collectively funded castle at Innsbruck had occurred to me too, as I believe all Dukes will benefit from having access to the most advanced forces.

I intend to consult my master armourers and trainers to see what kind of forces the Empire might work towards training. It strikes me that we are particularly deficient in heavy infantry, which may be a problem if our move on Hamburg brings us into conflict with Denmark - which may soon start levying Huscarls and fielding dismounted Feudal Knights

I should say that I am happy to take any direction from the Chancellor, or advice from the Duke of Vienna, on what Innsbruck should work towards.

One contingency that perhaps we should discuss is what to do if the Pope calls a crusade. I believe we should try to participate in such a holy venture if at all possible and would be honoured to lead our expedition should the Chancellor sanction it.

Lucjan
11-27-2006, 17:10
Ah, yes, the Pope. I believe for the sake of maintaining peace within our own nation that we leave it up to the individual dukes to decide amongst themselves what shall be sent and who shall lead such a venture. As you know, soldiers on Crusade no longer cost any upkeep until they reach their destination successfully. I would be willing to keep a record of the absent finances and then reinstate them accordingly for each duke if the crusade is a success. But due to the nature of the Holy Roman Empire, I don't think the Emperor would be very enthusiastic about Imperial troops being ordered about on the Pope's campaigns.

How do you feel Duke Otto, Duke Leopold?

Tamur
11-27-2006, 18:25
(Leopold)

To be honest, Chancellor, I could not give so much as a rat's dropping to the Pope and his bloody crusades without missing it bitterly. However, I realise that our... *pauses* trade partners all about us will be looking for any possible way to make us stumble in the Pope's eyes. Enough stumbles, and it is open season on us and hell on earth for my merchants.

So, I am willing to sacrifice a unit of archers and a unit of spearmen to the crusade cause, if it comes to that. However, I sincerely pray that it won't.

In regards to the collective support of our castles -- I had planned to make specific financial arrangements with Innsbruck only. However, if other townholders feel this is a wise course of action, we could consider the possibility of paying a certain amount to the Empire which is then funneled *directly* to our good Dukes who are castle-holders. But I must warn that any Imperial taxation of this transaction will lead to its immediate breakdown!

I will need to consult with other townholders before we can even begin to haggle over such an agreement, though.

(ooc: are there any other non-imperial townholders? hehehe)

Tamur
11-27-2006, 18:32
(Leopold)

Also, I would like to say that I agree with Duke Otto's thoughts on settling on a course of action, then doing it. The direction he chooses is certainly his own matter.

As for the Imperial castles: as he says, we are very deficient in infantry. Also, for the good of the defence of our cities, we need solid, well-trained bowmen who can rain death on our enemies before they even reach our gates.

Obviously I am not much of a horseman. Horses cost a great deal, and I am not at all convinced they are worth the price when it comes to defending our cities from invasion. If we come to the point where we need to be the agressors, then it would be worth developing our capabilities in this area.

Strappy Horse
11-27-2006, 21:39
(Heinrich)

Excellent work, Chancellor Diettrich! I understand you have a good grasp on things in the Reich, and I wholeheartedly support your proposed edicts.

I would advise you to be vigilant in your dealings with the Venetians and the Milanese. The Duke of Milan does not fly a viper in his standard for nothing, these Italians care more about money than they do about honour.

Two neighbouring nations that I miss in these proposals, are France and Sicily.
I'll admit, in the harsh climate of the northern duchies it's hard to think of Sicily as a neighbour, but here in Bologna it's hard to ignore.
Also, an alliance with France's flower of chivalry would be a major step towards a safe Reich.

Regarding the matter with the Pope, well, what can I say. I'll just say he is like any other Italian politician. A crusade however offers one a chance to fight for a truly holy cause! I know my soul would be much more at ease after I fought and rescued Jesu's grave from those Saracen dogs!

Strappy Horse
11-27-2006, 22:23
(Heinrich)

On the subject of taxes, under the current tax policy, Bologna seems to come off well, with a small Imperial subsidy instead of a tax.

However, due to our location, isolated from the rest of the Reich, a large army, with a high upkeep will be necessary in order to keep Bologna under Imperial rule.
Furthermore, it's hard to find decent, honest clerks here in Italy, and I suspect many florins disappear in various pockets before they even reach my treasury.

I'll admit, an Imperial subsidy is absurd, but I advise against too large a raise for the above mentioned reasons.

Lucjan
11-28-2006, 00:54
Thank you Emperor. I will see what can be done to free up some of Bologna's taxes without having to increase the subsidy.

But, the French m'lord? *The chancellor stumbles on masking a scoff*

You suggest we befriend the French? But the French are, well, Frenchmen. *There is an obvious look of disgust at their mention on the chancellor's face.*

Tamur
11-29-2006, 19:45
(Duke Leopold)

May I be the first to officially congratulate Chancellor Diettrich on his fine accounting staff. This is a brilliant example of how to run an Empire!

Duke Otto, with our first orders completed, I remain in doubt of any agreement between us in regards to troops and money. I had asked for a unit of Mailed Knights and had also held out the possibility of making a more permanent arrangement for some measure of protection here in Vienna, with a resulting payment to you large enough to make it worth your while.

If you have worked out an arrangement with the Chancellor or another Duke, then my blessings to you, and I will look elsewhere for help. Whatever the case, I would appreciate an honest and clear response on these proposals.

Heinrich, I find it hard to believe that the father who played with myself and the dogs like a boy only a few years ago has become the Emperor of all that is Holy and Roman. I send greetings to yourself and mother, and hope that you are well. And tell Henry he may not have that rag doll for his own children. Agnes spoke for it years ago.

Yours, in God,
Duke Leopold

Tamur
11-29-2006, 23:39
Duke Otto, you suggest 850 florins for a unit of Mailed Knights. I find that my finances cannot quite do this. However, perhaps it is possible for you to train up a unit of Mounted Sergeants for me, at a cost of 600 florins?

You also mention the possibility of building a fully completed castle in Innsbruck. Assuming I would have first choice (after you, of course) of the better troops you could train in such a place, what would you like my contribution to be in that effort?

econ21
11-30-2006, 11:03
I must congratulate the Chancellor on seizing Hamburg so quickly. May I inquire how was it done? The castle has walls and we do not have any siege equipment. How was the Imperial Army able to breach its defences so easily?

Please can you explain your plans for the Imperial Army - where and to what end do you propose to deploy it next?

Duke Leopold, you proposed contract is accepted with thanks. I wonder if we should agree a collective strategy, as the two Dukes in the south? By pooling our resources, we will be able to achieve much more than by acting alone.

There are several rebel settlements to the east - notably Prague. Perhaps we should work towards creating a combined army that can persuade them to join the Empire? At the very least, a combined force may be useful for defensive purposes, should either one of us be attacked.

Alternatively, we could merely seek to invest in the peaceful development of our settlements. But I fear even after such development, they may fall if seriously attacked by other factions' equivalent of the Imperial Army.

In terms of developing our troop buildings in Innsbruck, my armourers and trainers have informed me that the path we must follow is a long and expensive one. Right now, I could build a barracks to obtain sergeant spearmen. With a castle, I could work towards armoured sergeants and peasant crossbowmen. It is only with a fortress that we will be able to obtain what I believe to be the most useful soldiers - dismounted feudal knights and pavise crossbowmen.

I propose investing in more farming land, to boost my income and increase the population so that Innsbruck could sooner support a fortress. I also believe a road might be a worthwhile investment so that we can more easily move to each others aid. Depending on the sentiments of the people, a small church may also be in order.

Consequently, my current thinking is to delay a major investment in troop building facilities for a short while. However, if you or the Chancellor believe this is a mistake, I would be willing to rethink this approach.

Tamur
11-30-2006, 14:54
Duke Otto, you know me as a man of business. Hence you can guess that I heartily agree with your plans to provide benefits to your lands and people first. Only when the farmers and the merchants are happy can any land survive for long.

Is there anything I can do to speed this process of building roads and clearning farmland in the Innsbruck region? For now, I will give orders for a gift of 400 florins to be delivered to you as soon as possible for the purposes you have outlined.

Also, I have received some reports of these settlements you mention. As our needs grow, such settlements could be well worth taking. What would you have me provide for such an army as you suggest, when the time comes to build it?

Tamur
11-30-2006, 15:09
Some of my advisors are nervous regarding the Hungarians and the Poles, and request that the Chancellor commission the training of a spy for the purpose of keeping watch on our eastern border.

Although I would like to hire this man as my own, at the present time I cannot pay for such an expensive man's upkeep. Therefore I am laying this at the Chancellor's table, hoping he has the finances do to such a thing. If not, then Otto and I shall begin preparations to begin taking rebel settlements in our area to increase our revenues.

Lucjan
11-30-2006, 21:33
Much thanks for your congratulations Leopold. But fear not the Hungarians or the Poles, we have a diplomat on the way to secure fair relations between us, and while we do have a spy already position in the east near Magdeburg, the thought of keeping a bit of a better eye on all of our borders with nations of significant status is appealling. Though I have to say I don't think the Imperial Coffers need be overly spent to do so in the long run. Do you think watch towers may suffice? I think it's strong enough in the Empires interest to warrant an edict transferring the necessary funds for their construction.

Thanks also to Otto for his congratulations. You'll have to forgive me on my lack of reporting in regards to Hamburg, I'm new to the chancellory and the learning curve has taken a fair bit of my time. As for Hamburg's fall, we hired a local band of mercenary spearmen before the siege and I bade the army construct a battering ram while they awaited my arrival, the swifter Hamburg's fall the better. Initially we had wanted only to make use of the mercenaries, but the cities archers were unexpectedly taxing on our men, so we had to retaliate with our own missiles while our mercenaries and spear militia dealt with the city's defenders at the gate, which, ironically enough, they raised right before our ram reached it in an attempt to block it with their spearmen instead. A false sense of bravado urged them to attempt a sally I guess. We lost more men than I had wanted, but the city fell regardless. As for right now, I have no immediate plans for the Imperial Army and they will remain in Hamburg until a small militia group can arrive to take over the guard duty, at which point they'll move out and construct a fort near the castle where the army will be stationed until required.

Also, if you are thinking of temporarily delaying a castle project, this could give the Imperial coffers time to accrue the necessary finances to take the whole of the construction costs beneath its wing.

Strappy Horse
12-01-2006, 18:48
I hope this message arrives in time, you all know how difficult it is to cross the Alps this time of year.

Leo,
thanks for your fine words.
Mother has been very well, she has been enjoying the Italian weather and sends her regards.
It took some 'convincing' before Gregory agreed to crown me as Emperor though,
Still, it's only my presence, at the head of a sizeable army, here in Italy that's keeping him from more 'bold' moves. I may need to appoint a new pope, sooner rather later.

Congratulations as well to the Chancellor, with the swift capture of Hamburg. It adds to the glory of the Reich, as well as your personal glory, Lord Diettrich.

I am sorry to hear about your reluctance to ally with King Philippe, the knights of France would make a noble ally. Then again, proving our own prowess in battle against such a renowned foe, accounts for much more glory!
Your skill as a politician astounds me again, surely you are the right man for this office.

Lucjan
12-02-2006, 00:03
My thanks to you for your kind words Emperor Heinrich. May I ask though, what is your initial opinion of the Danes?

Personally, I think these seafaring cousins of the Germans could provide us with some unique trading oppertunities, and having a small ally to our north could prove beneficial in at least that our attentions could be better aimed at solidifying the Reich's borders where they are more likely to become volatile.

Strappy Horse
12-02-2006, 09:43
The Danes, it's hard to judge them from southern side of the Alps, I fully trust your judgement in this matter, Lord Chancellor.
Their pagan and violent history does not bode well though, and I hear rumours from Venetian merchants that those Danish Hanse merchants use the same vigour and aggression in trade as their ancesters did on their raids.

One a slightly different matter, my son Henry has now reached an age of 21 years, it is due time for him to get a wife.
I received letters from the Kings of Hungary and Denmark, to talk about a potential marriage.
I hear Princess Pioska of Hungary is a pretty girl, and a marriage-bond would ensure a safe border in the east.
Princess Ingrid of Denmark is supposed to be as enthralling as any princess, and an alliance with King Knud would settle the northern borders. Unless ofcourse those Danes sell their womenfolk as just another trade good.

Lucjan
12-02-2006, 14:07
Personally, I'm not much of one to engage in arranging marriages, but maybe some of our other Dukes have an opinion on this?

Tamur
12-02-2006, 14:34
I know only what the common folk say regarding Princess Pioska, which is all good, and I think she and Henry would be a good match.

Ingrid is worth, from what I have heard, less than the roads she travels. She attempts to use her charms to lure in men and then she turns on them with the vigour of a Hanse merchant attempting to put someone out of business. No, I think Henry deserves better than this wench in fine clothing.

Lucjan
12-02-2006, 15:01
To be completely honest Ingrid did initially strike me as being a bit uncultured.

econ21
12-03-2006, 17:21
To the esteemed Dukes of Vienna and Nuremburg: I propose we form a south German combined army. Our first target could be those rebels at the intersection of our lands. In due course, our army could perhaps move east for conquest or, if the weather darkens, be valuable in mutual defence. I fear that, at least initially, we are too poor and weak individually to be effective on the field. But if we combine, we may have sufficient forces.

I am open to suggestions about the leadership and composition of this force. It strikes me that if all three of use personally join the army, we will form a powerful force composed of just our own escort of knights. (Moreover, should some of our brave men fall, we will be able to replace them over time by knighting other eager men - and do so at no extra cost.) We would need only to add a few extra infantry to have a battle worthy force.

I suggest we could recruit mercenaries until such a time as Innsbruck is ready to train true patriots. Some companies of mercenary sergeants and crossbowmen have passed by Innsbruck touting their services and they struck me as being decent enough fighters.

I am also open on the question of timing - delaying such recruitment will save us upkeep. But I caution that if we do not develop our military, some of our neighbours may come to see us as easy prey and embroil us in a war that will be more expensive to cure than it would be to prevent.

I would also welcome the Chancellor's views on this proposal.

Tamur
12-03-2006, 21:45
I agree with the fine words of Duke Otto of Innsbruck regarding our mutual weakness currently. It will be a difficult balance to find, regarding how much of our collective income to devote to the hiring of mercenaries and how much to use to increase our capabilities in defence as well as attack.

That can be worked out, though. What we most need is these rebels dealt with at the present time! An outrider from my sergeants said they had nearly been waylaid by these miserable scum, and my merchants are beginning to feel nervous about their trains being intercepted, or worse, the halt of all trade along that stretch of road.

So, what say you, that we combine our three bodyguards, hire some decent spearmen, and trounce these blaggards? I would suggest that, though they are poorly trained, some of my archers could add some ability to soften the enemy before the melee begins in earnest.

Yours, in god,
Leopold

Strappy Horse
12-03-2006, 23:52
I am afraid I can give little aid to the German Dukes, tied up as I am by Papal matters.

Speaking of which, Chancellor Diettrich, I think our disputes with Pope Gregory should be resolved on a short term. I understand his worldly envoys are enroute to Bologna as you read this message, and I fear they only spearhead the ecclesiastical envoys.
The sooner we get rid of that powergrabbing usurper, the better.
I believe our own Cardinal Peter, known as the Rightious for good reason, would be a far better occupant of St. Peter's Throne.

With this in mind, what are your thoughts on a campaign against Florence?
It is still an independ republic, with no ties to either Milan, Venice or the Papal States, and even more convenient, it would give us an excellent excuse to have an army at a day's march from Rome.
I'v received reports that both the Duke of Milan as the Doge of Venice are looking outwards of Italy for expansion, so if we strike within two years, we should be able to take Florence without much trouble.

By the grace of God,
Emperor Heinrich

Lucjan
12-03-2006, 23:56
I don't think the hiring of such a large mercenary force when our own defences are so minimal may be the best course of action.

Mercenaries are expensive to hire and maintain, while localised militia could do the same job at much less cost. May I suggest then instead that Duke Otto lead this combined force, and that Duke's Maxamillian and Leopold instead provide 2 units each of their choosing, plus the mounted sargeants. To replace the troops loaned to this army. I think the Imperial coffers could pay for the purchase of 2 units of town militia for Max and Leopold, whose upkeep thereafter would be free.

Tamur
12-05-2006, 16:48
To the Dukes Otto and Maximillian:

I have given orders to most of my troops stationed in Vienna to move to within striking distance of the rebels. My merchants cannot abide their presence any longer. I cannot take them on alone, however, so your decisions regarding what forces you wish to send will be very warmly received.

Lucjan
12-05-2006, 23:05
Emperor Heinrich , forgive me, in the confusion I overlooked your remarks on Florence. I do believe emperor that the taking of Florence could be very convenient for alleviating the burden on your coffers, and furthering our hold in Italy as well. May I suggest though that you not place too much trust in those Italian dogs, and make sure you have some militia willing to guard Bologna while you lead the rest of the army on campaign. Some willing troops, town guard if need be, just to keep the peace, and content enough in their civic duty and ducal living arrangements that they won't cost us any further upkeep.

Aside from that, let the florins of Florence spill their wealth into your coffers my lord.

econ21
12-06-2006, 01:46
To Duke Leopold, I answer the call and will ride immediately towards Nuremburg to hasten the formation of an army.

Regretfully, I can only contribute one archer as my finances - and hence my forces - are meagre.

I request that Duke Maximillian join us and bring at least one archer and one spearman (I realise that will entail recruitment).

I have reviewed the strength of our enemies and propose the following battleplan.

We should use our cavalry aggressively to seek to separate the Hussites from the rest of the rebels and then ride them down.

If we are successful in that, we should then use our archers to shoot down the enemy's knights.

Finally, we should engage their meagre infantry with our own ...err... meagre infantry, then strike at their rear with our horse.

It will be a tricky plan to pull off but I believe that the propose South German army has enough strength to succeed by alternative stratagems should the one I propose not meet with your favour or fail on the day.

I would welcome the Chancellor or any other noble's opinions on this proposed battle plan.

TinCow
12-06-2006, 05:42
My fellow Dukes, I fear I cannot spare a single man from the Nuremburg garrison to deal with these ruffians. The development of the city and recruiting of a future army depend on keeping the hired arms as few as possible for the time being. However, I will not have it said that Maximillian was one to shrink from a fight. I will join you with my personal guard of heavy cavalry. Though we may be few, my men are stout warriors and a proper charge or two will put the fear of God into the hearts of those rebels.

Tamur
12-06-2006, 05:49
I welcome your help, Duke Otto, and look forward to greeting you again as a brother in arms.

However, I must take both you and Chancellor Diettrich to task a bit for questioning my reasoning in regards to my merchants.

You see, one can never have enough merchants. They make a town lively, they bring their own entertainers to my court at times (a very witty pair of Irish jugglers last week, in fact). Most importantly, they set an example of wealthy decadence which inspires the common people to strive for more themselves. And thus my tax base increases.

In the current time, though, when robbers clog the roads, it is true that I should focus my treasury and energy on more important matters, such as snuffing out those mean and lowly pustulences calling themselves "rebels". So, I have changed my orders accordingly. Be assured, though, that I will train more merchants and have the grandest time with them, and their jugglers!

Tamur
12-06-2006, 05:52
And I have just received word from you as well, Duke Maximillian. My hearty thanks to you! May your walls and your soldiers keep your people safe while you are gone from them.

Strappy Horse
12-06-2006, 08:04
Chancellor Diettrich,
I am glad you share my views on the situation in Florence.
I will start recruiting new troops in Bologna, and assemble m army, so I can march on Florence as soon as possible.

Oh and I wish Dukes Otto, Leopold and Maximilian all the best in the quelling those dastardly brigands.
Remember that God always supports a just cause.

Emperor Heinrich.

econ21
12-06-2006, 11:09
Maxmillan, why are you not able to contribute a single infantryman to the South German army? Innsbruck makes a third of the next profit of Nuremburg and it's strategic position is at least as vulnerable. If I can spare half my infantry, why cannot you? But anyway, the comparison should be with Vienna, not Innsbruck - Nuremburg makes more profit than Vienna, but Vienna is sending three infantry and a troop of horse with it's Duke. You send nothing. I do not understand.

Is it that you fear a reduction in your garrison would mean having to lower taxes to keep order? If so, how much income would you lose? Your settlement will be busy constructing farming land for the next six years. Why do you need money now so urgently?

TinCow
12-06-2006, 13:17
Otto, as I have said before, with my current investments completed in Communal Farming, my intentions are to invest in the development of your lands and fund the recruitment of a professional army from your castle. In order to contribute infantry to this battle, I will be forced to recruit poor quality militia from Nuremburg. This will drain my treasury both this year and in future years and will supply me with a handful of men who are not capable of effective military action. I may be wealthy in comparison to some, but it is a simple fact that a yearly aftertax income of fewer than 1000 florins is not indicative of great wealth. I must be as frugal as I can now to encourage future profitability for us all. One of the reasons that Nuremburg makes more profit than Vienna is that Nuremburg does not have to pay for the upkeep of hordes of militia!

In any event, these rebels are certainly annoying, but they are far from our cities and have not destroyed any local farmland. The very notion that they must be dealt with immediately is exasperating. I have decided to come the battle myself despite this because I feel obliged to support my neighbors. To be honest, I would prefer not to deal with this at all at the present time. Yet, I know I must contribute something, so I have denied my town my own skills as governor and am risking my life to deal with a horde of vagabonds in the woods. I will not leave my town undefended, and a single unit of archers is simply an unacceptable garrison for a city without proper defenses. I assumed my contribution of heavy horse would be more welcome than a unit of town militia. However, if you would prefer that I send those men in my stead, I will oblige and happily stay home to see to the proper management of my lands.

Frankly, your attitude in this matter distresses me. Should I be seeking to invest my money in an Imperial castle instead of your lands?

econ21
12-06-2006, 14:07
Duke Maxmillan, I understand you believing this engagement to be premature. I have some sympathy with this view. But Vienna has called for our aid and we must answer. And we must do so with a full heart. You can no more go to battle half-heartedly, than you can be half-pregnant. To fight the rebels understrength is worse than not fighting at all.

There is an important issue here - do we seek to act alone, trying to grow strong by slowly investing in our individual settlements. Or do we seek to pool our meagre military resources and use that to leverage greater advantage? More crudely - do we seek to prosper by building at home or by conquest?

Personally, I believe that acting alone we will be easy prey to our neighbours. But three settlements pooling resources should be as strong as some kingdoms. Prague and other settlements lie to the east for our taking. We need to decide whether we intend to move on them in the near future or wait.

I propose the three of us - Innsbruck, Vienna and Nuremburg form a South German confederacy, to coordinate our activities. We should start by outlining the desired investments in building and military units that we would each like to make over the next 12 turns. We can then see if that gives us enough manpower to form a viable South German army capable of serious action during that period.

TinCow
12-06-2006, 14:52
Otto, it is good to see that we have the same interests at heart. Yet, I do firmly believe that investment in our own provinces and cooperation as a group are not always mutually exclusive. It is in all of our interests to maximize our income quickly, to enable us to support a large, professional army. You will note that following construction of all economic facilities available to me, I declared my intention afterwards to supporting your own development, ahead even of improvements to my own city walls.

I very much approve of your idea of a Southern Confederation Army. Working together, we can field a larger army faster and more effectively than working alone. However, I wish to emphasize that it is far more effective and efficient to utilize professional soldiers in this army than militias. The initial costs may be higher for a professional army, but its casualties will be fewer and its likelihood of victory greater. This will save us money on retraining and replacements in the long run and ensure more successes. For this reason, I would very much prefer to avoid investments in militia buildings and units in Nuremburg and Vienna until it is absolutely necessary or money is no longer scarce. I do notes that Vienna certainly has greater need of a larger garrison for defense, as it is on the edge of the Empire. Nuremburg, however, is more protected and secure. By keeping my garrisons at a minimum, I can maximize the amount of funds I have available to support the Southern Confederation Army.

I propose that all three of us invest in improvements to Innsbruck castle and its training facilities to enable us to recruit this army. However, our investments must be wisely focused to allow maximum efficiency in cost and income. I do not know the status of Vienna offhand, but if there is more opportunity for financial growth in that city at the present time, it may be in all of our best interests to prioritize that over anything else. Once that is complete, we should focus on investment in structures that will provide us with the best possible army available for our money. For instance, we currently have both Mounted Sergeants and Mailed Knights available to us as cavalry from Innsbruck. Mailed Knights cost significantly more than Mounted Sergeants, yet only provide a small increase in battle effectiveness. I believe that it is thus more cost effective for us to use Mounted Sergeants at the present time and refrain from hiring Mailed Knights until such a time as money is more freely available.

Furthermore, I would be interested in reaching an agreement on the disposition of territories seized by the Southern Confederation Army. I will not hide the fact that I wish to gain personal control of Prague. However, that does not mean that we cannot all prosper from its conquest. I would be willing to give up any claim to income received from the sack of the city (all plunder to be split between Innsbruck and Vienna) and I would immediately offer the income from a full year (ooc: turn) from both Nuremburg and Prague to both yourself and Duke Leopold. Similar arrangements could be made for Leopold’s seizure of Zagreb and your annexation of Bern. In this way, a single army funded by our combined assets can work for all of our good, while still providing for the increase in our own personal estates.

Lucjan
12-07-2006, 22:19
I have let these deliberations continue without my second guessing because I had wanted to see where they would initially lead, but now I feel compelled to ask a few questions of my own.

Mainly, how do you all plan to pay for the upkeep of this army? Keeping an exact count and organisation will be virtually impossible given the nature of such a venture.

And secondly, how do you plan on dealing with the Hussites? They're about all that the reports from travelers and some of our own court members could bring out. These Hussites are vicious men, armed with armor piercing crossbows at range and heavily mailed for fierce melee, one unit of them is easily a match for two of our ill equipped militia. I'd say a fair wager of their composition would be at least two of these units, a leader, most likely mounted, and some militia of a caliber equal to our own. But what I fear is that these Hussites may put too much of a beating into our own forces before they can close that they won't want to stand against them.

I am not doubting the abilities of any man here, but I am doubting the abilities of conscripted men to stand in the face of severe losses against professional soldiery. Perhaps I'm just being worrisome, but we are fairly weak right now and caution seems the better part of valor in regards to these Bohemian heretics.

Tamur
12-08-2006, 14:32
My thanks for your interest in our little problem here, Chancellor. We have not committed any troops to battle, so there is time for further thought before we do.

What would you suggest we do? If we leave the rebels sitting there on the road, gobbling up my merchants' profits at their pleasure, it will be years before we are able to field a professionally trained force from Innsbruck. By that time that region will have been completely devastated, vacated by any people of good will simply to avoid being robbed constantly. Not to act in this situation seems cowardly and low to me.

However, I can see your point, if these are indeed as dangerous of men as you have heard. Sending our admittedly poorly equipped force against veterans would be an empty gesture, and to endanger the lives of three Dukes while doing so would be foolhardy.

Does anyone have an accurate report of the composition of this band of brigands?

econ21
12-09-2006, 19:41
Chancellor, the only information we have on the composition of the Hussite force has been provided by you. You informed us that they included several companies of Hussite crossbowmen. No doubt there are other villains among them. At the moment, we have promised a force of three knights and their escorts, a troop of mounted sergeants, two archers and two peasant spearmen. I would much prefer it if Nuremburg could supply some more infantry - and would be prepared to wait a few years if that is necessary. I believe we could take the ruffians with even the currently pledged force, but I agree it will not be an easy fight.

On your second query, about the upkeep of the force. I do not forsee much of a problem keeping the records here. The commander will have to make a note of which archer company is from Innsbruck and which from Vienna, but otherwise I fear it is Vienna that is bearing the brunt of the army so far. If this inequity is the problem you allude to - rather than a mere issue of record keeping - then I sympathesise and believe we should address by formulating a collective plan for building and recruitment in the South German federation. I would be happy to adjust my planned building schedule to meet the needs of my fellow Dukes, but first must do the necessary legwork to forecast my income and expenditures. At the moment, I confess I am being rather distracted by reading an enthrawling work on the Roman Civil War.

Strappy Horse
12-11-2006, 11:56
Dear Dukes, why is it taking you so long to deal with these brigands?
If I recall correctly, the good Chancellor has offered to pay for the recruitement of companies of townguards to keep the peace in your cities.
Since the wages of these men would be paid for by the city council it should not bother you.

An army including the personal retinue of three Dukes with some militia spearmen and archers, should have no problem in crushing whatever villainous rebellion! I have yet to see a company of bandits that could withstand a charge of noble knights, on a just cause!

Heinrich

Tamur
12-11-2006, 18:09
(letter from outside Vienna)

To my fellow Dukes, to the Chancellor, and to the Emperor: pax vobiscum.

This Roman civil war book must have made its way to our Chancellor as well. What an odd and startling coincidence!

I must say, Emperor Heinrich, that your words are heartening. I had begun to doubt this venture, and doubt whether it was wise for myself to be spending the season out here in the forest awaiting reinforcements, in preparation for this defence of our land. However, I am certain now that our cause is noble, that our foe are puss-oozing infidels, and we can meet with naught but success in this venture!

Duke Leopold

Lucjan
12-11-2006, 22:28
You must forgive me, indeed Duke Otto intrigued me with his comments and I found myself searching for a copy of the same book.

The history I've found in my readings is absolutely remarkable. But I won't bore these deliberations with my fascinated rantings.

I've gone back to my work and will remain vigilant as of now.

Strappy Horse
12-12-2006, 07:55
Ah, it is ofcourse a good thing to learn from our past. As the natural heirs of that Old Roman Empire we can only profit from studying the moves and mistakes of our ancestors, so we do not make those same mistakes ourselves.

From what I hear it that Roman civil war must have been quite an interesting time, truely a climax of the period before it.

Lucjan
12-12-2006, 14:11
It's hard to say, perhaps it was, or perhaps its golden age didn't come until after. The volume ends prematurely, seems the man who was keeping the best record of the events was kidnapped at the beginning of the civil war, and all the historical records after that are all written from the personal opinions of many different men, so truth is difficult to define. I haven't read any of them up until the end yet either, so it's not yet clear how it turned out.

Tamur
12-12-2006, 19:42
My fellow Dukes, I will await you and your reinforcements as long as possible.

And Chancellor Deittrich, may I inquire what your plans are concerning the Imperial army's actions? There are quite a number of cities between Hamburg and Vienna which I hear are quite ripe for the taking. Having the income from these cities would be a great help to us all. I would be marching forth myself to deal with Prague, but the current situation with the rebels must be my first priority.

Leopold

Lucjan
12-12-2006, 21:26
I have recently raised a number of archer units into the Imperial army and have drafted some town militia at Frankfurt so as to free up our otherwise costly spear militia and archers there for Imperial army duty as well.

They are on their way to Hamburg now, when they arrive, I plan on leaving some mailed knights, spear sargeants, and two units of archers as a garrison, the remainder of our soldiers in Hamburg will help draft some of the local peasantry. We feel they may feel much more sure of themselves on the battlefield with the padded armor Hamburg can provide, and will be more inclined to do their duty for the reich. This force will then comprise the reorganised Imperial army and will march east to Magdeburg. The castle there lies in a rich river valley that I feel, if the necessary work is put forth to convert the fortification into a prosperous town, could net us a very large profit in farm and trade for years to come. With the added incentive of having Hamburg castle nearby for defense.

What do the dukes think of this plan?

econ21
12-12-2006, 21:51
The Emperor is right - we must act. It seems that this season, I have been joined by the mounted sergeants but the men are exhausted and can move no more. I suggest that we prepare to attack the rebels next season.

Acting against the rebels seems imperative, because they have effectively severed the connection between Vienna and the rest of our Empire. We will not be able to unite the South German army except on the field of battle against these scum. I propose next season, when the mounted sergeants are rested, that Duke Maximillan, myself and our men ride to the front of the rebels, in contact with them but not engaging them. Then, Duke Leopold will take his men and strike at them from the rear. The battle will begin with him fighting alone, but Maximillan and I will arrive as reinforcements for him to command. After we are victorious, the South German army will finally be united. If Duke Leopold does not wish the honour of command, then Maximillan or I could strike the first blow. But Vienna is supplying the lion's share of the men for the battle and should have first refusal of command.

I ask Duke Maximillan and Duke Leopold for their consent to this plan.

Now, if we are agreed to this plan in principle, I would like to see what we can do to increase the likelihood of success in this venture. That is to say - how can we increase the military might at our disposal?

To Duke Maximillan - I believe you could spare one of your two existing infantry companies without raising taxes. I ask you again: will you contribute one such unit? I do not see the cost to you. I personally would prefer you to send the archer unit[1], although it is at your discretion.

To Dukes Maximillan and Leopold - the Chancellor has offered to pay for two town militia for our force, thereafter to be garrisoned in your cities. If he has not paid for the two already trained by Duke Leopold, may I recommend that Duke Leopold order another two to be trained at the Imperium's expense? Then, I would ask that Vienna march out its other company of archers and one town militia to join the Duke in preparation for his assault on the rebels. After the battle, that unit of town militia can be sent to Nuremburg, where it can be stationed with free upkeep as per the Chancellor's wishes. I ask both you esteemed Dukes: are you agreeable to this?

If you both agree to my plans, we will take to the field next season with:

3 knightly escorts
1 troop of mounted sergeants
2 archers & 3 spearmen OR 3 archers + 2 spearmen
1 town militia

I believe this force will comfortably overwhelm the rebels. If Dukes Maximillan and Leopold do not consent to reinforce our South German army, it will stand at:

3 knightly escorts
1 troop of mounted sergeants
2 archers
2 spearmen

I still believe this army to be sufficient to crush the Hussites, but I am a firm believer in the doctrine of overwhelming force in order to minimise our losses.

Now, if you will excuse me, I must get back to that history of the Roman Civil War I mentioned. I am just getting to the really interesting bit.

[1]My preference for 3 archers is based on the battleplan discussed earlier - we will try to use our knights against the Hussite crossbowmen, then - when they are removed - we will rain death on the remaining forces before committing our lowly infantry.

Tamur
12-12-2006, 22:28
An excellent suggestion Duke Otto! I would indeed be glad to lead our force against this foe. We will rout and destroy them, and teach a lesson to all who would do the same in future times.

Before charging my lieutenants with the raising of militia, I do need the Chancellor to confirm that the Empire will pay for such an undertaking. Though we here in Vienna are not impoverished, I do count each florin and need to assure my accountants that all will be well with their books.

Hence, I am provisionally giving orders for the raising of two units of militia in Vienna, and requesting my archers and some militia join me in the forest.

And what an excellent party we will have next season, when we sally against these ruffians!