PDA

View Full Version : M2 Test Imperial Orders Thread

Lucjan
11-24-2006, 21:49
This is the orders thread for the M2 HRE pbem Test. Here the Chancellor will announce the opening of each orders phase, along with player's starting balances. Players should place their orders for recruitment, taxation and construction. Orders may be clarified here, but all in character discussions should go in the deliberations thread.

Current Savegame Is - http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/M2HRE-PBEM.zip

Tamur
11-25-2006, 09:14
Orders for the Vienna Region:

1. Decreed: that there shall be Dirt Roads built in the Vienna region, immediately.

2. Decreed: that there shall be a Merchant recruited in the Vienna region, also immediately.

3. Decreed: that said Merchant shall be as soon as possible moved to the Silver Mine southwest of Vienna (@ 158,121).

4. Decreed: that the tax rate in Vienna shall be upped to the highest possible level, except in the case of seige or pestilence.

Lucjan
11-25-2006, 14:36
*The chancellor takes note of Duke Leopold's orders.* Your requests have been noted friend.

EDIT

I am issueing the following orders for Imperial Territory.

1 - Roads to be built around Staufen Castle.
2 - Land Clearances to be made around Frankfurt.
3 - The tax level of Frankfurt to be set to High.
4 - One spear militia, peasant archer, and peasant regiment to be disbanded from Frankfurt.
5 - One spear militia and peasant archer regiment to be disbanded from Staufen.
6 - One diplomat and one merchant to be commissioned in Frankfurt.

econ21
11-27-2006, 01:39
Standing order: The Chancellor is authorised to accept the building of any swordsman's guild, woodsman's guild or crusading chapter in Innsbruck, provided that one does not exist elsewhere in the Empire.

Land Clearances to be made around Innsbruck.

One spear unit and peasant archer regiment to be disbanded from Innsbruck.

Duke Otto to be moved (or not) as the Chancellor sees fit. (ooc: are we worried about Bologna? if so, should I head there to avoid an autocalc? or post me wherever you think the risk of an autocalc greatest.)

Lucjan
11-27-2006, 07:07
(OOC - Hopefully Ignoramus will take Bologna, so I'm not really worried about an autocalc there, but if Venice or Milan start to make some sketchy movements around there before Ignoramus gets back to us we'll see.)

Strappy Horse
11-27-2006, 21:49
Don't know about Ignoramous, but I'll be bold and assume control of Bologna.

Orders for the Bologna region:

1. Increase taxes to high.
2. Build a small church in Bologna.

No recruitement or movement orders.

econ21
11-27-2006, 23:58
Don't know about Ignoramous, but I'll be bold and assume control of Bologna.

Yes - go for it. We still have the Crown Prince as an avatar if Ignoramus wants to join as a full blooded participant.

Lucjan
11-28-2006, 18:00
Ok, I'm ending this turns orders thread now. After I carry out the orders, calculate the finances, deal with the edicts (I don't think we really need a poll for 4 players, do we?), I'll advance to next turn and proceed with my chancellory duties.

econ21
11-28-2006, 18:04
Sounds good - we definitely don't need formalities like polls.

Lucjan
11-28-2006, 20:37
Ok...I'm stuck.

No matter what I seem to do, I can't make our projection match up to the projection in the game.

Econ, you said you got it to work out for Scotland? I'm going to try it with Spain and see if I can get it to work there. In the meantime can you show me what you did with Scotland? Certain things like the army upkeep, and where the heck the "king's purse" income is supposed to come in are driving me up the wall.

If we can't figure this out, I think we might be reduced to a simpler approach.

econ21
11-28-2006, 22:02
What I posted earlier about HREs accounts was probably wrong - for example, I did not factor in the free upkeep of militia units (yet another financial benefit of cities); is that a factor?

But because I could get Scotland's accounts to add up, I thought we should be able to manage things with HRE.

Did you keep a record of what was spent by the Dukes and the Imperium? If you've post that, and a start of turn 2 savegame, I could see what I come up with for the new balances. Then we can see if we concurr.

For Scotland:

The faction financial details says:

Income = 2639
360 farming
725 taxes
54 corruption (really admin)
1500 King's purse

Expenditure:3316
2416 army upkeep
900 wages

Edingburgh has income of 1139 - that equals the faction's income excluding the King's purse.

There are three armies:

Edmund = 850 upkeep
Prince = 833 upkeep
King = 958 - 375 free upkeep = 583
fleet =150 upkeep
Total army upkeep = 2416

For wages, we have:
Cardinal 150
Spy 100
Diplomat 50
Three generals 300
Total wages = 600

Lucjan
11-29-2006, 01:38
Here's what I'm coming up with....

Here's the financial overview from the game.
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/HRE%20Test/Spreadsheets/FinancialReview.jpg

Here's the spreadsheet.
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/HRE%20Test/Spreadsheets/question.jpg

On the Financial Overview, the Income adds up nicely.
On the Spreadsheet, I'm short 58 florins when you add the Totals from the Ducal and Imperial budgets together. (The income numbers are correct I checked them a thousand times over.)
If you add the Ducal Total, the Imperial Income and Emperor's Purse, and the Corruption gain, then subtract the difference between the corruption values, which ironically enough is 58, then you get the 7797 the financial review shows as total income. But that doesn't make any sense to me.

Our army upkeep doesn't match up either. I've added our upkeep up a thousand times over. When you add the ducal army upkeep up with the Imperial army upkeep you get 5610. I am seriously convinced the computer is pulling 226 florins out of its butt on that estimate of 5836. If you right click and check the upkeep costs of every military unit we have, there is absolutely NOTHING that ends in an even number, so therefore, you can NOT have an upkeep value ending in an even number. We only have a few types of units in play.

Peasants - 90
Spear militia - 125
Spear Sargeants - 155
Archer militia - 100
Mailed knights - 250
Generals - 250

I don't see how the computer is getting an upkeep number ending with a 6, when that's mathematically impossible given our upkeep values.

Wages make sense though.
6 generals x 250
1 cardinal x 100
1 spy x 50

Somebody shed some light on this.

econ21
11-29-2006, 02:00
I don't think there's a problem.

On income, you do take the difference in the two corruption numbers, as the first number is extra income from "administration" (governors benefiting their settlements), not waste from corruption.

On the upkeep, I think you have assumed the Emperor and Prince have bodyguards cost 250 florins each, when in fact they cost 388 and 338. The difference is the 226 you are short of.

But I sympathesise - if it is this messy with only 6 settlements and no orders, imagine what it will be like after 6 months. :scared:

Calculating how long it took us to play WoS today, I did wonder whether we should be streamlining the WoS model rather than making it yet more complex. However, I would persevere with this because the whole point of a trial is to see if it is workable. And I really don't see any easy half-way house between decentralisation at this level and giving all the money to the reigning player to allocate.

BTW: do you want your character to take Nuremburg as his Duchy? If not, I suggest we treat it as belonging to a Count with an Imperial patron, rather than an Imperial city per se.

Lucjan
11-29-2006, 02:33
I'll request the next chancellor bestow a settlement on me after I'm done. Wouldn't want to abuse my station.

Anyway.. good point on the emperor and prince bodyguards, hadn't taken that into account, but the income thing still gives me a headache. I understand the formula, it just seems backwards.

Total Income + Corruption Income - the Difference between Corruption Income and Corruption Loss. Bit of a goofy formula don't you think?

flyd
11-29-2006, 02:34
I think I found the issue. The "income" displayed for each city (on the map under city name for example) is the net income of the settlement. It is the income minus the corruption. You can check. Look at the details for the settlement. If you add the income from farms, trade, taxes and admin, you will not get the income that is displayed for the city, unless you also subtract the corruption. The fact that the difference between corruption income and corruption expenditure is 58 is not ironic at all, but a consequence of counting corruption twice. I haven't looked at the upkeep discrepancies yet.

econ21
11-29-2006, 02:51
Total Income + Corruption Income - the Difference between Corruption Income and Corruption Loss. Bit of a goofy formula don't you think?

Um, I should go to sleep now so I don't have time to load up M2TW and start digging. But the formula looks fine to me. If you are saying:

Total income + corruption income - corruption income + corruption loss

then it reduces to:

Total icome - corruption loss

which is very intuitive. Contrary to FLYdude, I think settlement income does not include corruption loss (ie corruption). But it does include corruption income (ie administration).

Or maybe I am not understanding the two of you or M2TW accounts. In which case, I apologise - please put it down to sleep deprivation. :stupido:

PS: FLYdude: any interest in becoming Duke Maximillian of Nuremburg for our trial? :eyebrows:

flyd
11-29-2006, 03:08
I'm pretty sure settlement income includes corruption loss. If you look at the settlement details, under income, say for Bologna, you see:

Income:
Admin = 47
Trade = 133
Taxes = 617
Farms = 442

and in the "negative row" you'll see corruption = 83.

The settlement income is reported as being +1156.

You'll find that 47 + 133 + 617 + 442 - 83 = 1156 exactly.

Furthermore. I went and added the incomes of all the settlements while keeping them separated by category. The numbers matched exactly with the financial overview numbers, i.e. adding all the income from farms yielded 1877, as on the financial overview. Corruption and other income (192) is gotten by adding all the "admin" incomes, and corruption loss is gotten by adding all the negative corruptions in the settlements.

flyd
11-29-2006, 03:39
I tried adding the upkeeps together and got a value consistent with the financial overview. The even (and divisible by 3) least significant digit in the total upkeep comes from the bodyguard upkeep for the king and the prince, which is 333, not 250.

I hope this doesn't volunteer me to be the empire's accountant. :laugh4:

Strappy Horse
11-29-2006, 09:19
I have to agree with Flydude here, looking at Bologna, I've found the same. The numbers do add up nicely. Admin is included in the total income, and corruption is substracted from that. Result is the net income that is shown under the city name, and as net income in the city overview.

About the King's Purse, after a quick survey through my save games, I think it has to do with the number of (grand)sons of the royal family.
In 5 save games in follows the pattern of 500 florins per son (own or married) of the king and the heir.

Some examples:
-In our case we have a king and 2 sons, = 3*500 = 1.500
-In my Milanese save Duke Catelano does not have sons, but his brother and heir has 2 sons. 4 male characters in the ruling family account for a King's purse of 2.000 florins, which indeed it is.
-In my French save, King Louis has 1 son and heir, one grandson, the king himself, for a King's purse of 1.500

Lucjan
11-29-2006, 13:59
Ok, I think everybody's got the idea of what happened now.

I was doing this.

3158+4505+192-58=7797
I.E. Ducal Total Income + Imperial Income & Purse + Positive Corruption - (Positive corruption - Negative Corruption)

FlyDude has much simplified this procedure by noting that I overlooked the fact that negative corruption is already deducted from the accounts. So For Bologna, which reads as 1156 income on the screen, should actually read as 1239. and Vienna which reads as 1274, should read as 1325. Making the proper formula...

3158 (Total Ducal Income as Displayed) + 134 (Negative Corruption as shown in the Financial Overview) + 4505 (Imperial Income and Purse) = 7797 (the correct number)

And as for the upkeep, thanks to both econ, flydude and strappy horse for pointing out that I'm a silly fool and neglected to notice the obvious difference in retinue sizes for regular generals as opposed to the prince and emperor, therefore the difference in prince and emperor's upkeep. Off to work on the turn now that everything pans out correctly.

Lucjan
11-29-2006, 16:28
(OOC) Ok, awesome news for everybody.

Now that we've finally got all the bugs worked out of our system. I've gotten through turn 1, we're starting turn 2. Everything adds up properly, and Hamburg has fallen to the Imperial army.

A few notes. Merchant income doesn't add to the local city/castle income, so I took the liberty of adding it to it in the individual ducal budgets myself, with a side note of our total merchant's income for the whole of the HRE.

Also, Venice offered a trade agreement and gave us map information.

Anndd..(this is jumbled I know, but I've been up for 27 hours now), when you conquer a settlement, the florings gained from the conquest need to be added to the total overall income otherwise it doesn't quite add up, and also to the Empire's income for this turn, otherwise you'd be jipping the empire of hard earned cash (neglected to reflect this in the income of the Imperial budget, but did put it where it belongs in the overall income....I've been up too long, going to bed in a minute).

Individual town incomes change slightly each turn due to harvest, taxation fluctuation, admin skill, etc, so need turn by turn updating, as well as the issue of the "projected" treasury not actually being the treasury we end up with because of transitional events.

I.E. Venice offered us the trade agreement on their turn, we didn't do it on ours, so the income increase from that occurred after all our calculations for the next turns treasury had already been complete. I solved this by simply taking the new treasury, subtracting our total duke's projected starting balance for turn 2, and using the difference as the Imperial coffers new starting balance, allowing Imperial coffers to absorb both the fluctuation in harvest and taxation, and the increase in trade level.

Also...we hadn't thought of this. In the event soldiers are captured by an enemy army, who pays for their release? I think the owning duke should pay, it makes it more interesting that way. Or in the case of the Imperial Army, the empire's coffers pay.

Anyway... Bottom line, we've got everything working properly now and the game can commence without issue.

In the event that others may not wish to handle the finances aspect of the game, I'd be willing to deal with this at the end of each orders phase as a treasurer. I get a weird sense of accomplishment out of this. :dizzy2: While still allowing the construction/recruitment/movement to be carried out by a seperate chancellor who wouldn't have to worry about the financial part. (Something like a co-consular arrangement, except the extent of my power would be to manage the overall finances and, obviously, my own dukedom.)

EDIT - Here is the latest financial record.
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/HRE%20Test/Spreadsheets/turn2spreadsheet.jpg
And the newest save file. http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Turn2-M2HRE-PBEM.zip

Tamur
11-29-2006, 17:12
Very impressive work Lucjan and econ, good pursuit of the problem without giving up. You have proved to me once again why I flee in fear from accounting topics!

Strappy Horse
11-29-2006, 19:10
Looking good Lucjan!
One minor thing, if I made a correct estimate of the construction costs, they are included in the totals for round 2, but I don't see them in the purchases column.

EDIT: Never mind, they were purchases from round 1, not round 2.
Still, is it usefull to change the format a little to show the purchases we've ordered for the last round?

Lucjan
11-29-2006, 22:01
Thanks Tamur.

And not sure what you mean Strappy Horse. Are you saying you want me to add a column that details what you spent money on last turn? Because reminding players what they spent their own money on could get rather lengthy, and I'm not entirely sure how helpful it'd be if the money is already spent. On the other hand, I could see the benefit of adding another column that just says "Last Turns Expenditures" with a total of that player's spent florins from the last turn. If that's what you meant to begin with, sorry, just a misunderstanding on my part.

EDIT - Considering all players will have access to the save file on a turn-by-turn basis for the purpose of reviewing their duchy and giving new orders, I think it shouldn't be a problem for players to be able to see where there money's gone. Again maybe I'm just confused.

econ21
11-29-2006, 22:42
...I could see the benefit of adding another column that just says "Last Turns Expenditures" with a total of that player's spent florins from the last turn.

Good idea and to make it easy, I suggest that in our orders phase, we each detail our proposed expenditures and provide the total to save you some work (and allow double checking for errors).

Also, Lucjan, it might be good if you posted in bold caps:

TURN 2 ORDERS PHASE STARTS

and then 48 hours make another post later:

TURN 2 ORDERS PHASE ENDS

Each Duke should only make one post between your bookend posts, but we could edit them to revise them. Once you have closed the orders phase, then we are not allowed to edit our post (orders) anymore. Doing it this way might keep things tidy and easy to manage.

Tamur: on the knights you wanted, I suggested that we formalise contracts in the orders phase. So you could type something like:

"Contract Vienna 1: Duke Leopold offers Duke Otto X florins for one unit of mailed knights, to be trained immediately."

And I would reply

"Contract Vienna 1: accepted."

And at the same time, I would give orders for the unit to be training.

That way, it's all in black and white for everyone to see.

As for what X is, I suggest purchase price 680 + 25% = 850

Sorry I did not do this last turn - I did ask you to formalise it and then you said something about mounted knights being no good defending in a siege. If it is the dismounted knights you want - which I agree are a more useful unit - they will require a castle be built in Innsbruck first.

We really should start putting posts like this one of mine in the OOC thread and devoting this thread only to orders.

Tamur
11-29-2006, 23:28
(moving my reply to the ooc thread)

Strappy Horse
11-30-2006, 03:13
On the other hand, I could see the benefit of adding another column that just says "Last Turns Expenditures" with a total of that player's spent florins from the last turn.

That's what I meant, for the dukes, I think it's useful to see in one overview, 'this my income, these were my expenses, and this is what I have left' I agree with Econ21 though that the dukes can also show their expenses in their orders post.

Tamur
11-30-2006, 04:41
Duke Leopold's Orders for Turn 2:

Contract 1: Duke Leopold offers Duke Otto 600 florins for one unit of mounted sergeants, to be trained immediately.

Contract 2: Duke Leopold offers Duke Otto a gift of 400 florins to encourage the building of roads and/or farmland in Innsbruck.

Total expenditure: 1000 florins

econ21
11-30-2006, 10:50
Duke Otto's orders for turn 2

Contract 1: Accepted with thanks.

Order 1: Duke Otto to be moved just outside of Innsbruck.[1]

Order 2: In accordance with contract 1, one unit of mounted sergeants to be recruited. Once they appear in turn 3, they will be under the control and upkeep of Duke Leopold.

Total expenditure: TBC (once I check the game tonight)

[1]OOC: some folk saying being in a settlement with normal taxes on the turn something is built can give bad vices.

TinCow
12-01-2006, 00:51
Due to the previous status of my lands as Imperial property, the monies available to me are not entirely clear. However, assuming the same 200 florin tax is assessed on Nuremburg as on the other Ducal cities, that would leave me with 611 florins for the year. Assuming this is correct, my orders are as follows.

Duke Maximillian's Orders for Turn 2

Order 1: Taxes in Nuremburg are to be raised to Very High. Taxes may be lowered there without my permission if there is a serious (red) threat of civil disorder.

Order 2: Construction is to begin on a Grain Exchange (600 Florins)

Total expenditure: 600 Florins

Strappy Horse
12-01-2006, 14:54
Order for Emperor Heinrich for Turn 2

Construction of a Land clearence is to begin in Bologna, (600 florins)

Lucjan
12-02-2006, 02:47
Orders for Turn 2 Closed

Lucjan
12-02-2006, 03:55
OOC - Ok, everything worked out smoothly with one exception.

No edict was ever passed as to what kind of treasury to give to TinCow when he came in to play with Max and Nuremburg, so I just allowed the purchase of the grain exchange with money from the imperial coffers.

For future referance we're going to have to watch out for this.

Ok, so on to Turn Three.

IC -
I have good news for the Reich. Our finances have balanced without issue, income is up slightly for everybody, and we have managed to secure trade agreements with Milan, Hungary, and the Danes, as well as receiving map information from these nations as well.
This brings our current trade partners up to four including Venice.

However, it appears an issue has arisen within the Reich's own borders. Duke Leopold's mounted sargeants have encountered a rather large band of brigands on their way to Vienna. I feel this would be a good time to show off a small display of strength on good Leopold's part. But let us take the issue to deliberation.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/HRE%20Test/Spreadsheets/spreadsheetturn3.jpg

(The most recent save is)
http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/TURN3-M2test.zip

Strappy Horse
12-02-2006, 09:55
OOC

Since the lands that are given to new players come from the Imperial estates, it seems right to pay for their first purchase from the imperial treasury.
If that leads to any trouble, we could have a special impost on the other nobles, a special 1-turn tax of 100, 200 florins (depending on the number of Dukes).
Or, we could just let them start with an empty treasury, and let them pay for any purchases from their own pockets.

IC

Orders from Emperor Heinrich for turn 3:

1) Start recruitment of priest (loyal to the Emperor, not the Pope) in Bologna.
This priest is to become the personal chaplain of the Emperor, always travelling with him.

2) Disband the unit of peasants in Bologna.

TinCow
12-02-2006, 15:31
Duke Otto, there have been recent land disputes between some of my tenants and those of the independant lord of Prague. I feel that Nuremburg must strengthen herself with a professional military to be able to successfully deal with these vagabonds.

Nuremburg is currently a prosperous town, but it can be much more so. I believe that the proper course of action is to immediately strengthen her trade to allow for increased investment in military expenditures later. Next year I plan to begin investment in a system of Communal Farming. After that investment, I would be very interested in assisting you in the construction of military facilities and/or a castle for Innsbruck, in exchange for priority in the training of soldiers for Nuremburg.

Duke Maximillian's Orders for Turn 3

No new orders. All monies to be saved for future investments.

econ21
12-03-2006, 17:13
Otto: orders for turn 3 - construct a dirt road for 300 florins.

Otto to move to the east side of Innsbruck. (ooc trying to avoid penalties for being inactive and for finishing buildings with normal taxes).

Lucjan
12-05-2006, 14:51
Turn 3 Closed. Turn 4 starting. Here's the finances.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/turn4sheet.jpg

Land Clearances were finished in Staufen and Bologne, roads in Innsbruck, a grain exchange in Nuremburg, and a muster field in Hamburg. Staufen also recruited a unit of archers.

(The latest save is here)
http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/HRE-PBEM-Turn4.zip

Tamur
12-05-2006, 16:42
Leopold's Orders for Turn 4

Order 1: Two units of Town Militia to be trained in Vienna

Order 2: Leopold, two units of Spear Militia, and one unit of Peasant Archers to be moved halfway to the rebels on the road west of Vienna (@158,124)

Order 3: The unit of Mounted Sergeants trained at Innsbruck last turn should move to join Duke Otto outside of Innsbruck.

Strappy Horse
12-05-2006, 22:41
Heinrich's orders for turn 4

Edit (and once more):
1) Start recruitement of 2 units of Town militia (2x 290 = 580 florins)

2) March the entire army of Bologna (3x spear militia and 2x peasant archers) under command of Emperor Heinrich towards Florence and lay siege to the town. Start construction of 3 siegetowers and 2 rams.

3) Set the taxes on Low

(OOC: I thought that keeping a priest with the character could trigger a 'priest' ancillary, but having seen the text files, this does is not the case, so there is no need to keep a priest around)

Lucjan
12-05-2006, 22:56
OOC - Just a note...are merchants really worth it? They die really quickly when encountered by enemy merchants and cost 550 to build, but only bring in very meager amounts in trade, only around 22 florins for the highest of trade goods. Maybe I'm missing something and they contribute to something other than "merchants income" in the treasury window. But if they don't, they seem like wasted cash. Could somebody more knowledgable on how they work fill us in?

econ21
12-06-2006, 01:38
Otto's orders for turn 4:

1. Construct Communal farming at a cost of 1200. (ooc: for the pop increase more than the cash)

2. Archer to join Duke Otto and march towards Nuremburg to join South German army.

ooc: I agree with Lucjan, Tamur should not order the merchant. But let's keep ooc discussion in the ooc thread.

TinCow
12-06-2006, 04:04
Duke Maximillian's Orders for Turn 4

1. Construct Communal Farming (cost 1200)

2. Maximillian (alone) is to move to join the South German army.

Total expenditure: 1200

Lucjan
12-11-2006, 22:14
(Ending turn 4, beginning turn 5. Sorry for taking so long on this turn, trying to do 2 pbems at once has been difficult when coupled with all the other junk I need to do in regards to real life, but the will of the senate will be coming to a close relatively soon and so will finals at school. So bear with me, and thanks for being patient.)

We have accepted trade rights with Sicily this turn.
I had to lower taxes in Vienna to High in order to avoid civil unrest, they've been raised again since the recruitment of the militia back to very high.
Princess Agnes has married a suitable young man named Jonas von Lombardy, he currently waits in Frankfurt.
Frankfurt completed a leather tanner and 2 town militia, gaining us a successful council of nobles quest and netting us 500 florins.
Bolonge trained 1 town militia, Vienna trained 2 town militias, and Staufen recruited 2 units of peasant archers.

Unforetunatly, we've run into a problem with the coffers which was reflected in Bologne's training of only 1 of it's requested 2 militia units.

I hadn't noticed the problem until now, but apparently we've been spending not just our starting income but our net profits in the same turn. We're going to run into lots of problems with this unless we agree that only the starting income can be used to purchase things each turn. The issue comes into play when dukes try to use their starting income + their net profits in one turn to make purchases. When they overdraw their starting income and dip into their net profits (which don't actually appear until the next turn), they effectively draw income directly from the Imperial coffers, taking away from the Reich's ability to operate efficiently. I've already had to take some losses in regards to the Imperial coffers in order to allow duke's to make some pricey purchases, but when Bologne's Carried Forward treasury hit the negative hundreds when the taxes were dropped to low and the town militia requested, I had to settle for only ordering one town militia to be trained there, and even then Bologne was 12 florins in debt.

Here's the finances for this turn.
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/HRE%20Test/Spreadsheets/turn5.jpg

And an update of the map.
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/HRE%20Test/Spreadsheets/1088.jpg

Here's the latest save.
http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Turn5-M2HRE-PBEM.zip

TinCow
12-12-2006, 00:34
Ok, let me get a clarification here. The Net Profits section indicates the income we will be receiving on the next turn, not the income we just received for the present turn? Regardless, it might wise to have one field that clearly indicates what each of us currently has available to spend. I had assumed that the "Carried Forward" tab was what we had, but now I'm confused.

Strappy Horse
12-12-2006, 09:45
Yes, I've done some quick research on the finances of Bologna, and I must admit, I've been living off the imperial coffers. :embarassed:
Although roleplayingwise it should make a nice story. ~:)

Edit: I had the wrong formula, my 'abuse' of imperial money has not been that bad.

If I understand correctly the procedure ingame is this:
treasury turn y - recruitment & construction turn y [click endturn] + income turn y - upkeep turn y = treasury turn y+1
Example Bologna
turn 1:
1.000 - 800 + 1.279 - 1.053 = 426
turn 2:
426 - 600 + 1.466 - 1.053 = 239

While what I have been doing is this:
treasury turn y + income turn y - upkeep turn y = available for expenses in turn y.
Again, example Bologna
turn 1:
1.000 + 1.279 - 1.053 = 1.249 available for construction. construction = 800, so 449 is carried forward to turn 2.
turn 2:
449 + 1.466 - 1.053 = 857 available for construction.

Notice the differences?

I've made a spreadsheet of this, I'll see if I can get that online.
http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/PBEM_HRE_FinancesBologna.rar

Lucjan
12-12-2006, 14:15
Strappy lost me, sorry :laugh4: .

Basically -
Starting Balance is what you have available to spend this turn.

Net Profits is the total amount of profit you will add to your coffers for next turn.

Carried Forward - Is the exact amount of money you can spend next turn after any purchases have been deducted from your current starting balance and your net profits are factored in when I press End Turn. (I.E. this is your 'Starting Balance' for the next turn.)

Tamur
12-12-2006, 19:35
Leopold's Orders for Turn 5

1. Leopold and soldiers under him remain in place west of Vienna, awaiting reinforcements. If attacked, they retreat to Vienna.

2. (provisional on a response from the Chancellor) Two units of Town Militia to be trained in Vienna at the Empire's expense.

3. (provisional on #2 becoming reality) One unit of Peasant Archers and one unit of Town Militia should march from Vienna to join Leopold.

Lucjan
12-16-2006, 16:13
(We can go ahead and move on with the next turn now that the south army upkeep and what not has been roughly decided...but I'd like to know if there's more than just Tamur's orders for this turn. :sweatdrop: )

econ21
12-16-2006, 18:19
Orders for turn 5: Merge stack with Duke of Nuremburg (and hopefully await reinforcement by him of one unit of archers, nudges TinCow...).

TinCow
12-16-2006, 20:32
(OOC: Alright, this is a test campaign anyway, so I'll send them just to help increase the complexity of the merged armies for educational purposes.)

Orders for turn 5:
1 - Recruit Town Militia in Nuremburg (cost 290)
2 - Dispatch Archer unit to join Maximillian
3 - Merge Maximillian with Otto

Strappy Horse
12-17-2006, 13:08
Orders for turn 5

1. Army under Heinrich maintains siege of Florence.
2. No recruitment or construction orders.
3. If possible, raise taxes to normal (blue face is ok, red isn't)

OOC: Lucjan, I think corruption is still counted twice in your spreadsheet. The number under income & merchants already includes corruption. And with those corrupt Italians, it makes quite a difference.

Lucjan
12-17-2006, 15:53
OOC - Corruption income has to be counted twice in the spreadsheet, once under the regular income already included for the town, and then later on for the overall budget the negative corruption has to be added back in, otherwise nothing balances out.

Lucjan
12-17-2006, 17:58
(End of Turn 5, Beginning of Edict Phase 2 and subsequently Turn 6)

This year has seen much to be pleased with. Particularly Prince Henry should be congratulated on his wedding to Princess Demuth.

We've also seen the raising of free militia units in Nuremburg and Vienna, and the construction of a land clearance in Hamburg, as well as a small chapel in Staufen.

Some new armor has also been made and distributed to the town militia of Frankfurt, this padded armor is expected to significantly increase the defensive abilities of our levees against other militia.

Poland approached us with an offer of trade rights, so naturally we accepted such a generous proposal. Alternatively, however, England also approached us with such an offer, but demanded money in return, money the Imperial coffers did not have to spend, so we were forced to decline.

The latest finances -
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/ItsLugo/HRE%20Test/Spreadsheets/spreadsheetturn6.jpg

And the latest save -
http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/M2HRE-PBEM-Turn6.zip