PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Changes

Headlocked
11-27-2006, 19:58
Now that the Game is out, even if the unpacker isnt yet, what major gameplay changes are you guys planning?

Setting this thread cos it takes ages to scroll through the other thread slooking for info:)

just a suggestion - breakdown the changes your making- graphics, map, units (types & stats), diplomacy, AI/(or PO if you prefer:) ), characters/traits, Religion, Buildings.

A bit long maybe, but it would be essential for browsing/searching this forum.

My 2cents- i have to say I found RTR (yes your a different team etc etc) a Little too extreme on historical accuracy; i remember being simply confused by the plethore of units that often pretty much did the same thing.
A pikeman by any other name....

But it was incredibla as well,th history presented, the details and you could just TELL it was accurate.

Just, well, it bogged down a lot sometimes. And after seeing twelve versions of the same troop type, well, dare i say it, it a got a bit boring?

Anyways, rock on, peeps:)
Can't wait to try it out:)
I can game test no probs!

HDD

Darkarbiter
11-28-2006, 07:16
Now that the Game is out, even if the unpacker isnt yet, what major gameplay changes are you guys planning?

Setting this thread cos it takes ages to scroll through the other thread slooking for info:)

just a suggestion - breakdown the changes your making- graphics, map, units (types & stats), diplomacy, AI/(or PO if you prefer:) ), characters/traits, Religion, Buildings.

A bit long maybe, but it would be essential for browsing/searching this forum.

My 2cents- i have to say I found RTR (yes your a different team etc etc) a Little too extreme on historical accuracy; i remember being simply confused by the plethore of units that often pretty much did the same thing.
A pikeman by any other name....

But it was incredibla as well,th history presented, the details and you could just TELL it was accurate.

Just, well, it bogged down a lot sometimes. And after seeing twelve versions of the same troop type, well, dare i say it, it a got a bit boring?

Anyways, rock on, peeps:)
Can't wait to try it out:)
I can game test no probs!

HDD
I actually liked the greek names more as it sounds better then archers but thats just my opinion. Anyway i know this is a bit early but i suggest swiss halbeders get schiltron while the swiss pikemen get the phalanx ability (they both used both I think but i dont think you can have both on one unit).

and whats with the "plethora of units that do they same thing"? apart from the lack of gladiotors and pigs (although you get hypaspists and you dont get them in vanilla ;) how is RTR any less unique in unit selection? Infact after 1.5
patch its a lot more unique as theyve messed around with mass a lot and CA hasnt.

Headlocked
11-28-2006, 22:03
tru, tru, the mass development was very good:)
and the naming of the units in their mother tongue wasclass, very immersive

i just rememebr being very confused at the varity of troop available at the start of the roman campaign- bt admittadly i havent played much past 1.5- i got hooked on DarthMod's focus on the Ai and actual fighting:)

And i have neaver like the "feature units" like pigs etc. Ridiculous. As a once offmaybe,like spartacus with is oxen, but it should be a random occurance, based in a generals skilland traits. Not a multiply recruitbale unit froim a barracks! :P :)

basically , im all for this mod- just hope not to be overwhelmed by choice.

I LOVED the Latin mod for roman soldiers- giving and acknolwadging orders in latin- that was SUPREME:) Authenticity rocks.

Wahddya think of my organisation idea? giving each aspect a seperate thread within this sub-forum?

HDD

Darkarbiter
12-02-2006, 10:13
tru, tru, the mass development was very good:)
and the naming of the units in their mother tongue wasclass, very immersive

i just rememebr being very confused at the varity of troop available at the start of the roman campaign- bt admittadly i havent played much past 1.5- i got hooked on DarthMod's focus on the Ai and actual fighting:)

And i have neaver like the "feature units" like pigs etc. Ridiculous. As a once offmaybe,like spartacus with is oxen, but it should be a random occurance, based in a generals skilland traits. Not a multiply recruitbale unit froim a barracks! :P :)

basically , im all for this mod- just hope not to be overwhelmed by choice.

I LOVED the Latin mod for roman soldiers- giving and acknolwadging orders in latin- that was SUPREME:) Authenticity rocks.

Wahddya think of my organisation idea? giving each aspect a seperate thread within this sub-forum?

HDD
RTR uses darths changes to the AI.

Maizel
12-04-2006, 11:50
I'd like to see Medieval2:Total Realism make the more elite units more rare. Even with the new recruitment system, it's not hard to get full stacks of Chivalric Knights, or other elite troops like Varangian Guards and the like, when you have a few buildings that boost their replenishment time.

1 unit of knights being trainable every 3-4 (or even more) turns will be way better in my opinion

Magnificant me
12-05-2006, 10:35
I will be estaticed with this mod if they acomplish one thing well. That one thing is make the units look more diferant. By that I mean I don't realy want to see 2 armys, one French and the othe English look nearly identical. Granted it is hard to do as they all used aprxamatly the same kind of equipment, but that dose not mean they have to dress the same too. OOO and the Generals, they all look the same. If they make this area of the game better I will consider this to be a monumental step in the right direction. Oh ya all that historicaly acurate stuf is good to :2cents:

The_Hierophant
12-07-2006, 06:16
Something which I definitely hope will eventually make an appearance in this mod is a system akin to the Rome: Total Realism 'AOR' system. I'm really missing that in Medieval II: Total War at the moment.

Either way I'm sure the mod will be great and I cannot wait. Cheers in advance for the work guys.

Zaknafien
12-08-2006, 18:48
Clearly this game needs lots of changes.

The map is ridiculous for the first part, which totally turns me off from the game..there need to be about 60-70 more provinces for cities and castles, enlarging the map significantly.

The turns are crazy, there needs to be a 4 turn per year system emplaced, with movement rates cut down alot and growth rates lowered next to nil.

VlaDeatHell
12-08-2006, 19:01
I just joined this community and wanted to say hello :)
Good job for the previous TR mod, hopefully his one will be as good as it.
I have some more to say for the factions and I hope it's not such a bad "greetings, maniacs" 1 post :)

Azurain
12-13-2006, 11:26
The turns are crazy, there needs to be a 4 turn per year system emplaced, with movement rates cut down alot and growth rates lowered next to nil.

Movement rates... cut down? We're talking realism here, yes? The idea that it takes three months to travel from one end of Denmark to another would be horrendously unrealistic enough as it is, but somewhat necessary still from a gameplay perspective.

I've been thinking about it and if we wanted something approaching genuine realism in terms of troop movement, we'd probably have to move to a 12 turn per year system, which would throw buildings and most importantly population growth realism into chaos.

It's unfortunate, too. Sometimes it's okay, but sometimes I have a really hard time suspending my disbelief when it takes my general the equivalent of nine months just to travel from one part of France to another (assuming a four turn per year system).

Mictian
12-14-2006, 14:23
Greetings, im new here, i already played RTR and very enjoy it. First of all, im sorry for my english.

Ok. I do know something about history of medieval so i prefer see the game more realistic. My first ideas:

1) Use mod makes the map bigger 3.5 times.

2) Make a lot...LOT more cityes.

3) one turn = halfyear

And ill explane why: In real Medieval, as i know, nobles build own casles to protect strategic positions. In the game, you make casles from cityes. So if you make a lot more cityes, almost everyware, player can make casles almost everyware. And thats'll be resolution of problem when in the beggining of the game there are cities which not exist yet. If you make them like a villages, player will have a choice make them powerful or make a casle. You cant make all your villages powerful cities or make all of them good casles, you will have to choose. Or you can capture good enemy city and you dont have to waste money. But we need to make AI knows that.

DIPLOMACY. Yes, AI dont respect peace and it's too aggressive, but the most important is:

1) Make possability to offer to be vassal

2) Make possability to demand be vassal to you without war.

3) Make possability start War in diplomacy menu

MSB
12-20-2006, 19:35
I would just like to suggest that you go for a government system like EB's. Now that is about 90x better than an AoR. Sadly I doubt that we will get this now you are with RTR :san_sad:

Darkarbiter
12-21-2006, 10:30
I would just like to suggest that you go for a government system like EB's. Now that is about 90x better than an AoR. Sadly I doubt that we will get this now you are with RTR :san_sad:
I'm strongly against government system. It allows less freedom for the player.

Headlocked
01-07-2007, 22:07
never played Eb; heard of the gov system though, what was it, briefly?

cos not every nation in medievel was a Monarchy- eg. Milan, Genoa, Florence - semi-democratic communes.

Although each did come under the control of a tyrant at different times...

Cheers,
HDD

silverster
02-08-2007, 05:57
EB governmetn system? well, basically, when you conquer a region, you do the following:

1. establisher order with a building that takes 1 turn to build, that building is bascially - MARTIAL LAW

then you have the following choices if i remember correctly"

1. Allied state (very limited building and recruitment) but only take 2 turns
2. Lightly Romanized (or whatever fraction) province : a bit more buildings and recruitments (takes longer to establish)
3. Romanized Province : standard buildings for the fraction.(takes even longer to establish)
4. Central government (or something like that) : you can only build that in regions that are marked HOMELAND for your fraction/culture. this type of government takes the longest to establish but it can provide the same level of buildings and recruitment as your fraction capital.

apart from construction choices and recruitment choces, the type of government affects everything else too, from unit morale, population growth, income, to public order

Recruitment wise, it is even more interesting, there is your normal barracks (funnily, EB combines Barrack, stable AND Metal Smith together under one roof, whic i dont like the idea becasue it makes your city look empty) AND THEN THERE is a recruitment agency if you can call it that taines local units (eg: Greek archers etc, which dont take long to build)