PDA

View Full Version : Question about the learning curve.

yalpe
11-28-2006, 15:54
Hey guys,

I'm currently a student in software engineering in Quebec/Canada (that means its different then in the US ;)). Anyways, I like to code and right now I might join a mod team just to see what it looks like. Is there a steep learning curve? I've tried moding UT once and it wasn't too hard. What is the skillset you need to join a mod team?

caius britannicus
11-28-2006, 16:50
coding in RTW (and MTW2) isn't really coding in the sense of writing a code. You basically just change values here and there, realy basic monkey work stuff. The learning curve to that aspect is literally a couple of hours. However, scripting is a different story and is probably where you would be best utilized. It has a steeper learning curve but nothing a software engineer couldn't grasp in a few hours.

But right now MTW2 is unmoddable many of the text files required for modding are packed away and so we have to wait for CA to release an unpacker.

yalpe
11-28-2006, 18:17
I see. I kinda expected it to be scripted. So basically I guess you only use a few vars and control them with loops. Shouldn't be too hard yeah. I might check it out once they release the unpacker.

alpaca
11-28-2006, 19:46
I see. I kinda expected it to be scripted. So basically I guess you only use a few vars and control them with loops. Shouldn't be too hard yeah. I might check it out once they release the unpacker.
Nope. There are no variables in TW scripting. Only counters, i.e. variables that can only be compared to constants.
Once you get used to the peculiarities, it shouldn't be too hard to create some decent scripts. The real skill is developing concepts and thinking out how to best represent them in the game.
If you want, I can always use a hand with Mediaeval Auctoriso - and I could help you with a few of the odder things :2thumbsup:

yalpe
11-29-2006, 04:33
That's definitely possible. Is there a way I can contact you via IM? I got MSN and GTalk.

Myrddraal
11-30-2006, 11:16
Please post mods in development in the 'mods in development' forum. If in doubt, post in Mod Chat :bow: