PDA

View Full Version : Rate your MP experience

tootee
12-01-2006, 02:15
How do you rate your online experience so far?

UglyandHasty
12-01-2006, 02:33
I went with good. I had some funs battle. The number of disconnections is a bugger. Sure there is some flaw in balance, and we're just scrapping the surface. But the game are great fun with good players and around 10k. Maybe its my TW addiction kicking off after what seem ages, but i'm sure going to hang around the MTW2 foyer.

Yun Dog
12-01-2006, 02:40
Ok so last night I returned to TW MP for the first time since STW

I had a fun game with an honourable opponent

However - it was extremely laggy - 1v1

I dont know if it was the host or me - is there anyway to check if Im the lag monster

is anyone else experience very bad lag in 1v1 battles?

I just want to check - if I can improve my MP experience somehow

tootee
12-01-2006, 02:44
I have lag only in game beyond 1v1, but its probably due to my FX5900XT.

Since I dont play other games, I am also looking for the minimum spec to play MP 4v4 without lag.. so far I find nothing.. only minimum for SP which typically doesnt see as many units as a full 8x20 battle.

Kronos
12-01-2006, 11:57
Well to play a lag free 4v4 i've found that u need a processor with sse2 and somewhere above 2.8 ghz pentium 4 or AMD equivalent. 1gb ddr 400 ram ( u may be able to play perfectly fine with 512mb's of good ddr2 ram). As for vid card i'm using an X300se 128mb, so I presume u'll need any 128mb card from the x or x1k series+ for ATI or something from the Geforce 6 or 7 series 128mb card from Nvidia or better. Thats working perfectly fine on lowest settings in 4v4's for me and I could probly turn the graphics up a bit in 4v4's and can play on pretty high settings in 2v2's with shadows and reflections off.

Kronos
12-01-2006, 12:18
Also u need shader 1 support which all the series i've listed have although i'd recommend shader 2 support. But the GPU seems to be the only thing holiding ppl back when they have all the other requirements.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
12-01-2006, 16:40
It was Ok so far.. Not to many good players around, since they always in Game or something. Did hae some good Battles with Magyar and Greywolves and them so far though,though I need to play Aggony now :-) :-) :-) :-)

RTKBarrett
12-01-2006, 17:19
I voted good, theres lots of room for improvement but what more can u expect of a prepatch :-)

YellowMelon
12-01-2006, 21:23
I voted like my relations with the Papacy - abysmal.

RTKBarrett
12-01-2006, 23:03
Blasphemer!!!1!!11

YellowMelon
12-02-2006, 00:58
I couldnt help it, the nobles told me to do it I swear!

12-02-2006, 01:26
Or you can Come me the Pope, Me, in Warman8's Death Filed, in the Orginial Castle with my Swiss 25K Army :-) :-)

t1master
12-02-2006, 02:51
went in with low expectations. :laugh4:

i am mildly surprised, and so far i rate it as good.

pretty much what hasty said....

Marius Dynamite
12-02-2006, 04:06
Too Laggy. Inconvienent Pre-battle Interface.

Did have a few good games with some of my clan though on great maps.

Overall = Bad. We deserve better.

12-02-2006, 04:39
Hey,

I had a good game with 3 Aggony memers today, a 2v2, close game, very excellent,got replay here :-), anyhow, It was really Laggy, I know I got 8 MB Cable, and my Aggony Parnter had 6 MB Cable and that, and Internet connection is one reason why laggy games happens, others are becomes of sucky comps. I think if they can't fix the laggy issues and Stream issues and stuff first, then fix the unit ploblem, it be a better game..

RTKBarrett
12-02-2006, 15:11
lol @ "We deserve better".... gah its not even patched yet and ppl are throwing dummys out of prams :D

12-02-2006, 15:39
it's unpatched of course, what you expect Barett :) :)

CeltiberoMordred
12-02-2006, 20:31
Very bad. I can only play team battles if I'm the host. In addition, all non 1v1 battles are too laggy.

Kronos
12-03-2006, 15:50
So in short everyone's who voted for anything less than average reasons were lag which has nothing to do with the game, it's either ppl have a crap pc or that they're using an Athlonxp processor which the last was released in October 2003 3 whole years ago. Things move on, especially pc's.

As for the new interface i'm sure Pala can explain that as it was probly his idea, as iirc ppl didn't like the old one because ppl would keep changing factions, there would be fighting over who was which faction first, and ppl would not start for 30 mins especially in competitive games until lthe other did so they could see their army numbers and change to counter what they thought they had based on that.

tootee
12-04-2006, 02:19
Seems like quite a positive feedback.

I guess CA fixing the connection, hosting and lag issue will improve our gaming greatly.

I was wondering, since now every man has a unique action sequence (not sure if it was in RTW) during fighting, i guess it will consume lots of cpu, and zooming out probably won't help since each action must be recorded for replay to work?

Just hope they can at least optimised this part of code.. its kinda of heavy investment to get a new pc for M2TW ~:rolleyes:

Yun Dog
12-04-2006, 02:33
Ya I was already thinking about upgrading my beast to play this... just dont know exactly what components to buy at this stage

but I wouldve thought if the hardware can run the battles in SP without lag - then is online lag really due to graphics etc or more of a connection/host/gamespy issue

YellowMelon
12-04-2006, 02:44
I dont think anyone can deny that the gamespy issues greatly annihilate the MP experience. Even with a great computer and a great connection.

ElmarkOFear
12-08-2006, 20:03
Actually those with lag, may be dissappointed with certain aspects of the game, but the lag doesn't allow them to find those problems yet! hehe I am optimistic in my pessimism.

I have found one thing, which really disturbs me about the state of MP: I have actually won more battles than I have lost. There HAS to be something SERIOUSLY wrong with the game!

I would rate it: Good (Better than RTW's MP, yet worse than STW/MTW's MP)

Though I have to mention STW was no real joy for a lot of people who were 56k with old machines. I remember many a laggy game and many a disconnect, but the game was so unique and fun, we tend to overlook those problems. hehe These lag/disconnect problems are not new, they just SEEM to be worse due to time and nostalgia. :)

theKyl
12-08-2006, 20:59
nhgf

Jinnigan
12-09-2006, 01:15
I'm rating this at 7 so far. However, I've recently been playing a lot of terrain maps (instead of just Grassy Plains) which makes games a ton more interesting, especially involving all the crazy shit you can do with hiding, and those games I would rate up at 9 or even 10.

tootee
12-09-2006, 02:16
Though I have to mention STW was no real joy for a lot of people who were 56k with old machines. I remember many a laggy game and many a disconnect, but the game was so unique and fun, we tend to overlook those problems. hehe These lag/disconnect problems are not new, they just SEEM to be worse due to time and nostalgia. :)

T T T T T T T T T ... :laugh4:

Cheetah
12-11-2006, 03:23
I can host and play 3v3 without noticable lag.

Also, my impression is that you can have fun if you want fun.

ElmarkOFear
12-11-2006, 06:15
But only if Cheetah chases you off map with the help of his 2 teammates who flanked me . . . err . . uh "who flank you" . . . with cav . . hehe :)

Had some fun games tonight with the RTKs. Looks like I'm gonna have to recruit some old teammates and practice to have a shot at you guys. My rusty ole bones weren't up to snuff. :beam:

Shahed
12-11-2006, 06:53
I tried to connect a few times and ..... could'nt connect. Will try again later.

(and YES ofc my gamespy info is correct, and my router is free etc and blah :P)

ElmarkOFear
12-11-2006, 07:04
Maybe you need to feed that gerbil (that runs your modem) more often . . :) The poor little thing gets hungry after running on that wheel for hours so you can play online. hehe :)

Hope you can get it worked out soon Sinan. I need some more people to beat me. I'm getting tired of the same ones chasing me all the time. :beam:

Do you get an error message from the GameSpy server when you try to log on? Or does it just lock up on you? Have you tried registering a new name with GameSpy? I had to register again before it let me on.

Shahed
12-11-2006, 14:01
LOL ! Elmo ! Always good to hear from you.

I did'nt try again yet. I get the "Logon Failed" message, went to Gamespy, my ID is active and fine. I thought forget it, not even gonna bother. But yeah I wanna give it a try. Will try again sometime soon.

ElmarkOFear
12-12-2006, 10:23
I ended up having to use a new name. The old ElmarkOFear, showed up as fine with GameSpy, but I got the message you did when trying to log on. I reregisterd with UglyElmo and it worked.

Go figure. I hope you are as lucky as myself. :)

Take care and see you on the battlefield.

Agravain of Orkney
12-15-2006, 16:35
But only if Cheetah chases you off map with the help of his 2 teammates who flanked me . . . err . . uh "who flank you" . . . with cav . . hehe :)

Had some fun games tonight with the RTKs. Looks like I'm gonna have to recruit some old teammates and practice to have a shot at you guys. My rusty ole bones weren't up to snuff. :beam:
Not to worry Elmo. When I get hooked up I will fight at your side. My armour and sword are so rusty I can hardly lift them. Our men can keep each other company as they run for the map edge.

GrimeReaper
12-15-2006, 17:28
laggy but there lotsof options for differing amrys and style of play mainly good opinion so far its good to see people from RTW and MTW meeting up

TexRoadkill
12-20-2006, 23:44
Why do you guys always confuse lag with poor frame rates?

Lag refers to a delay in the network connection. That is when stuff is morphing around or there are long pauses with connection errors.

Poor frame rate is when things are stuttering and pausing and that is due to your local hardware not being able to handle all the units and not the game or network.

ElmarkOFear
12-21-2006, 15:07
Tex, I believe the game tries to settle down to the slowest PCs speed and if a player has a slow PC and a slow connection, the game speed will slow down to the speed of the slowest PC in the game. So they are connected in away, since this is a P2P game and is not hosted on a server. GameSpy only directs the paths of the data, the host is the actual server for the game.

It isn't like an FPS where the slowest PC is at a disadvantage, while all the other players run at the speed of their own PC.

I may be wrong, but there are those who are much better studied, in such things, on this forum who might be able to better answer this question. :)

Stig
12-21-2006, 15:10
afaik Elmo is right

*nods*