PDA

View Full Version : feudal mod plan

Ring
12-02-2006, 01:09
this text is also posted at stratcommandcenter forums, also by me:

"well hm this is just an idea, but wanted to hear other modders opinions on it.

well i decided to move this paragraph here for this is the most inportant in this topic the other things i write are just the causes i'd like to see a mod like this:

so the main thing is that i wouldn't really change the battle part, surely there'll be many mods that retexture reanimate aso models, but no this is mostly a campaign mod. the time frame would be smaller: the old medieval's 3 periods are really missing here and its just ridiculous as the years(only turns defaultly) goes.. so it would be a smaller period starting with 1080 as the default campaign (few years before the first crusade in 1092) and endig somewhere in the 13th century (last crusade 1270). in art history, the high time and slow recession of gothic art period is somewhere here and reneissance begins /trecento/ also 14th century brought a waste recession because of the plagues wars and anarchies.

the main modifications would be on the campaign map: every region would be split up into 3-5 smaller ones each of them would get smallest cities or forts (as landlords lived in stone tower which developed into bigger castles with time) and the player would be able to give these to one of his generals as a "feudum". maybe it would even add a diplomatical option instead of bribing a general (which is very expensive if not impossible most times) to offer him feudum in our own lands.this could model more realistically the medieval europe as there werent really ethnical borders that time. and on the holy land these smaller territories would be owned only by our general who took it, not by the faction he comes from. (still would give some boost in trade and wealth). and the king of jerusalem could be elected somewhat like the pope; the general with the most land and most "votes" from the smaller feudal lords /like the cardinals and the preferati in papal states/ would get the crown if a bloodline dies out.

well this is getting too long, so i end here, have some other thoughts in the theme still... if it would be too huge to make whole europe this way, i'd like to see a holy land mod with only its map, and these feudal things i wrote. so tell me if you like the idea, and i'd be happy to make it with a team. as i dont really know the modding itself, as i'm an artist, i thought of designing these new features, or just collecting historical data. if really needed i can make the map if someone helps me with how to edit happy.gif so that was all. thanks for your time happy.gif

so i love medieval 2. i was eager to play it and i started the campaign as soon as i managed to get my copy. alas i didn't have much time to play so after the HRE i unlocked other factions to play them.so i tried hungarians, but still something is missing for me. i mean something from game experience that i had with the first medieval as i recall. so it would be nice to have a more historically correct mod maybe? i mean they dont even use the old region names no pannonia wallachia dalmatia just budapest region aso.(anyway it is damn buda; it became budapest in 1896...)

so i feel like developers just wanted to create an enermous game mostly with the epic battles, but meanwhile lost the little things that makes the campaign cool. maybe its just me couse i studied (for fun) medieval times, -mostly the age of crusades- more than rome's history..

so its rather strange that in the age of feudalism my king (lord of life and death to say), cant really choose a guy to raise him a noble or a faction member... i just miss good old traits. its chaotic how the game offers generals to adopt and all and we dont even know where they are what they did aso. and other stuff is that first born boys took all the wealth of families and the rule in royal bloodlines. and i dint see even once in my campaigns that any guy rebelled against the heir starting a civil war.

what would be good to change is the crusades. all times the pope announced one, venice took its ships sailed there took the poorly protected jerusalem and the french danes whoever just got stuck in HRE or milan maybe even starting a war... i admit it could happen as a crusade even took constantinople for a few years estabilishing the "latin kingdom" as i recall. but still somehow it should be more cooperative, as all those wealthless people i mentioned tried to make a fortune on the holy land from all kingdoms.. so thats why i think it would be better not to let jerusalem under one factions rule. it was something like the USA for the immigrants in the 20th century.. maybe it was better if a new faction would emerge if a crusade takes jerusalem. (they truely had an own kingdom; the leader of the very first crusade became the first king of jerusalem.)

sry was long:embarassed:

2ltben
12-02-2006, 01:40
Will there be any reform for specific factions? Primogeniture in Russia simply didn't happen because the leader of the Novgorod Republic was mostly just a military leader, the executive was controlled by an elected Archbishop and the Legislative and Judicial was controlled by the Veche of Boyars.

Ring
12-03-2006, 21:58
well first of all i'll need to connect someone who knows the program side of this idea. i mean how much can be realized with the engine and such. couse the whole thing changes if the game cant handle so much regions. (but still it would be possible to show these 'sub regions' only on the map.) so i dont really want to go into details right now, but surely in the name of historical accurancy something could be done in that matter too. but you know that b version with the holy land only, i worked it out a bit and that one could be done with more RPG elements but we'll se what can be done :)

Myrddraal
12-05-2006, 11:11
I'm intrigued as to how you'll do this. Good luck :smile:

Ring
12-08-2006, 19:45
well this is the version with the holy land:

it seems it would be a totally different game experience with more rpg element. this sounds weid for sure and also 'hard coded' but for example: one of my ideas was instead of factions, you could choose a number of generals /heroes/ if you like from both sides. and this could be done without great changes in the code. Changing the faction banners to general portraits on the campaign starter screen and when the game starts you would get an army on the campaign map and would advance like mongols in the normal game. i think that could be done. or if that wont work than also a 'hidden' region could be made. i mean something that you cant see on the map but it would give you backup and financial help as your far far away home country.
so the map would be replaced with a higly detailed map of the holy land and all the latin kingdoms there also containing damascus and other important saracen cities. the map would be divided not only to kingdoms, but smaller regions, counties etc. (like in the film kingdom of heaven, gotfried and later balian of ibelin: it was a bigger town or something witc a couple of oasis and villages). so the game would start with all these generals; the crusaders, who are helping the kingdom of jerusalem or any other kingdom against moslims. and as you advance in battles you'd be revarded by the king of jerusalem with these 'feudal gifts' or units, money. when you managed to get some land you'd be able to develop the infrastructure there get taxes and all like in the defaulf campaign. you can also have heirs and all. the fun part would be that the king of jerusalem would be elected like the pope now. so these generals would be the electors /through diplomats for example/ and the more land and power you have the more word you'll have in the election, so in the end you could become the king of jerusalem, which would only mean to obtain the city itself, though it would indicate a huge tax income.

so do you think at least this, if not the whole europe map could be done?