PDA

View Full Version : Changing region names

Triumph_of_Steel
12-04-2006, 20:41
That's it, I can't look at Normandy as Caen region anymore or Austria as Vienna region. I hear the map on my desk yelling at me to make it stop and the Atlas has been ignoring me ever since I bought Medieval 2.
I must change the province names to their proper selves.

I tried changing the names in descr_regions , descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup and descr_strat but to no avail.
So can anyone tell me how I go about changing them?

Rabbit
12-05-2006, 23:57
Ive been interested in this as well. Actually since youve mentioned it i cant bring myself to play because it bothers me quite a bit.

I noticed that in game when you hover over a spot in a region it comes up as "(whatever the city is) Region". All the text files you edited say "(whatever city it is) Province". Perhaps if you could find the one that uses the term region it would be the one you are looking for.

Just a thought though and i havent found such a file yet.

Merlin's Apprentice
12-06-2006, 00:19
file list to be changed

imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (in text folder)
descr_regions.txt (base folder)
descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt (campaign folder)
descr_mercenaries.txt (campaign folder)
descr_strat.txt (campaign folder)

6 files to be modded in all

Lord Condormanius
12-09-2006, 00:16
file list to be changed

imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (in text folder)
descr_regions.txt (base folder)
descr_mercenaries.txt (campaign folder)
descr_strat.txt (campaign folder)

6 files to be modded in all

You only listed 5 files (#3 & #5 are repeats). Should there be 6? I adjusted all of these and my my game wouldn't allow me to start a campaign, so I changed them back.

Merlin's Apprentice
12-10-2006, 12:08
just the 5 accidental repeat of 1

check the log to see where the error was?

Johan217
12-11-2006, 09:03
I have changed most province names and some settlement names to make them more authentic. E.g. "Bruges region" becomes "Flanders", "Prague region" becomes "Bohemia"...

Other changes include:
- Hamburg has become Lübeck, because in the game its port sits on the Baltic (and AFAIK Lübeck was more influential in the Middle Ages)
- Frankfurt changed into Mainz
- Helsinki (founded only in 16th century) changed into Turku

Because of the layout of the M2TW campaign map, some regions do not entirely correspond to historical provinces. I have tried to stick as close to reality as I could. If you see any stupid mistakes, however, please let me know :) Also, I know nothing about the New World, so let me know if you have suggestions for names in that part of the world.

Download here: http://users.pandora.be/johan_eaf274/downloads/M2TW_Regions.zip or in the twcenter.net downloads section
Unzip and put the file in your mod/data/text folder. Should work with all mods that use the default M2TW map.

You only need to change the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt, by the way ;)

FactionHeir
12-11-2006, 13:20
I haven't tried it, but since M2TW is based on RTW, have you tried double clicking the city name when you got the construction screen open? In RTW you used to be able to change city names that way.

Julius_Nepos
12-15-2006, 09:36
Johan217, I used your changed region names text file, and it had zero effect on my campaign. No city or region names were changed. I placed the file "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" In both the Data and Text folders and it seems like that's not enough to make the changes stick, if it works for you what else did you do? Let me know, Cheers!

Johan217
12-15-2006, 20:06
Yes, sorry. You need to use the modswitcher as explained here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70942). Forgot to mention that :oops: