PDA

View Full Version : M2TW data text files

Epistolary Richard
12-04-2006, 21:13
Caliban from CA Oz has sent me the following data files to release:
(go Caliban! :medievalcheers:)

- The best way to use these files are to set up a mod folder using the mod switch (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71291).

- Find info as to how these files work can be found here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71597).

From the data folder - download HERE (http://files.mizus.com/files/M2TW/documentation/M2TW_data_files.zip)
config_ai_battle.xml
custom_locations.txt
descr_campaign_db_ai.xml
descr_campaign_db.xml
descr_character.txt
descr_climates.txt
descr_cultures.txt
descr_faction_standings.txt
descr_formations.txt
descr_formations_ai.txt
descr_missions.txt
descr_models_strat.txt
descr_names.txt
descr_names_lookup.txt
descr_rebel_factions.txt
descr_religions.txt
descr_religions_lookup.txt
descr_settlement_mechanics.xml
descr_ship.txt
descr_skeleton.txt
descr_sm_factions.txt
descr_sm_resources.txt
export_descr_advice.txt
export_descr_ancillaries.txt
export_descr_buildings.txt
export_descr_character_traits.txt
export_descr_guilds.txt
export_descr_unit.txt
weather_db.xml

From the text folder - download HERE (http://files.mizus.com/files/M2TW/documentation/M2TW_text_files.zip)
NB - Remember, these need to go in a text folder in the data folder.
campaign_descriptions.txt
expanded.txt
export_advice.txt
export_ancillaries.txt
export_buildings.txt
export_units.txt
export_VnVs.txt
imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
names.txt
rebel_faction_descr.txt
shared.txt
strat.txt

TWC DOWNLOAD MIRROR (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=924)

BTW before you ask 'Where's the descr_model_battle.txt file?' - I tell you now - there is no dmb file used in the game.

Lusted
12-04-2006, 21:25
Thanks ER. The .xml files in particular look very interesting.

alpaca
12-04-2006, 21:37
Thanks Caliban. But I thought the game wouldn't work with unpacked files which is one of the reasons for the patch?
So using a mod folder might be useless :P

Maculio
12-04-2006, 21:39
well, these files rock neway :P

Epistolary Richard
12-04-2006, 21:40
Thanks Caliban. But I thought the game wouldn't work with unpacked files which is one of the reasons for the patch?
So using a mod folder might be useless :P
I believe it is the unpacker which won't work properly without the patch - I used some of the files myself in Brisbane to change the game.

Sinuhet
12-04-2006, 21:45
Fantastic!!!! I will not go sleep today maybe ..... Thanks a lot. This is almost all what I have want from CA ....

Shadow_Wolf33
12-04-2006, 21:52
was hoping for the projectiles file, but this'll be a good start for now! :book:

GiantMonkeyMan
12-04-2006, 22:01
cheers ER... its good to be researching this kinda stuff again and cool that you aren't completely gone :thumbsup:

Throumbaris
12-04-2006, 22:02
Heck yes! No sleep tonight!

SigniferOne
12-04-2006, 22:06
CA rock!! ER, please be sure to tell them that.

redmark
12-04-2006, 22:07
I believe it is the unpacker which won't work properly without the patch - I used some of the files myself in Brisbane to change the game.

I've made a couple of simple changes to the EDB and EDU, which aren't showing in a new campaign. Perhaps it does require the patch... something to play with in the meantime, though.

Lusted
12-04-2006, 22:16
I think you need to use the mod switch(link in ERs first post) to get them to work.

redmark
12-04-2006, 22:27
Ah, thanks - that works. I was being lazy and thought "best" meant "ideally...".

Lost the loading screens, but I'll live. :)

alpaca
12-04-2006, 22:32
Guys, a short reminder. Please post any not-yet-finalized research in the research wiki section and not anywhere else. Thank you

Epistolary Richard
12-04-2006, 22:32
I believe there is another way of using them in your main data folder, but I can't recall it at the moment, which is why I said best... :embarassed:

Throumbaris
12-04-2006, 22:34
Using the mod switch there is no campaign or any sort of sound or music, do i need to copy over all the data?

Lusted
12-04-2006, 22:35
Guys, a short reminder. Please post any not-yet-finalized research in the research wiki section and not anywhere else. Thank you

Alpaca, just so you know lime green text does not show up well on the The Guild forum skin option. It may show up wellon the skin your using, but i dont think it does on others.

It looks like the .xml files will need a lot of research done into them, as well as the missions and faction standing files.

Using the mod switch there is no campaign or any sort of sound or music, do i need to copy over all the data?

If you read the thread ER linked to in the first post you would have noticed this:

As with Rome, the mymod folder needs to include certain game files from the world folder to function. Currently, it also requires sounds/events.dat and sounds/events.idx to function. This should be borne in mind when writing mod installers or alternatively in install instructions.

Epistolary Richard
12-04-2006, 22:38
Repost:

Mod Switch

Another vital feature for modders from Rome is in Med2 but again in a slightly different way. The Mod Switch allows you to have a separate directory of your modded files in your main Medieval 2 Total War directory and by launching the game with the right cfg line the game will access the files within the mod folder before looking in the main game directory – allowing you to supercede even packed files without problem.

The best way to set this up is as follows:

Create a new bat file in the top level Medieval 2 Total War folder (the one with the .exe in it) called Launch_MyMod.bat

Inside it should read:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

Then create copy your medieval2.preference.cfg file and rename it mymod.cfg and include the following lines:

[features]
mod = mymod

Then create a folder in that directory called mymod and in that have your data folder with its modded files exactly mimicking the directory structure in the main game folder.

As you can see using a bat file to launch the game using different .cfg files allows you to easily swap between different mods and game configurations without wholesale duplication of your data folder, risking direct file overwrites or copying and overwriting your original .cfg file.

As with Rome, the mymod folder needs to include certain game files from the world folder to function. Currently, it also requires sounds/events.dat and sounds/events.idx to function. This should be borne in mind when writing mod installers or alternatively in install instructions.

____
Make sure you have the campaign and base folder in from the world folder - and the above named sound files.

Throumbaris
12-04-2006, 22:39
Woops was too busy editing stuff to read that far down, thanks for the response!

redmark
12-04-2006, 22:53
If you read the thread ER linked to in the first post you would have noticed this:

Read that; copied everything under data just in case (but of course, a lot of files aren't there): still no screens, sound etc. Then noticed that under the 'mymod' folder, you get a blank folder created by the game called "packs". Copied the pack files across the higher level packs folder - no joy.

hellenes
12-04-2006, 22:54
Repost:

Mod Switch

Another vital feature for modders from Rome is in Med2 but again in a slightly different way. The Mod Switch allows you to have a separate directory of your modded files in your main Medieval 2 Total War directory and by launching the game with the right cfg line the game will access the files within the mod folder before looking in the main game directory – allowing you to supercede even packed files without problem.

Create a new bat file in the top level Medieval 2 Total War folder (the one with the .exe in it) called Launch_MyMod.bat

Inside it should read:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

Then create copy your medieval2.preference.cfg file and rename it mymod.cfg and include the following lines:

[features]
mod = mymod

Then create a folder in that directory called mymod and in that have your data folder with its modded files exactly mimicking the directory structure in the main game folder.

As you can see using a bat file to launch the game using different .cfg files allows you to easily swap between different mods and game configurations without wholesale duplication of your data folder, risking direct file overwrites or copying and overwriting your original .cfg file.

____
Make sure you have the campaign and base folder in from the world folder - and the above named sound files.

I did exactly that and the game wont show up my Greek localisation alterations!!!!!!!!
Its all still in english I have the entire sound folder and text and world like
C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mymod\data\text
I run the bat file the game boots fine but its all still in english ignoring ANY changes I did!!!!!!
What might be the problem???????

Epistolary Richard
12-04-2006, 23:12
Well, I have a bat file in my M2TW folder which points at a new config file which has the features line in.

Then there's a mymod folder with a data folder inside - which in turn has a sound folder with the two files I specified and a world folder with the normal tree down to the base and campaign folder.

Then I added a modded edu file - and launched it through the bat and the changes showed up...

All it should be doing is reading the files in the mod folder in preference to the (packed) files in the main data folder.

Throumbaris
12-04-2006, 23:30
I removed peasants and added armoured sergeants to england, campaign works fine. No loading screens though.

hellenes
12-05-2006, 00:14
Well, I have a bat file in my M2TW folder which points at a new config file which has the features line in.

Then there's a mymod folder with a data folder inside - which in turn has a sound folder with the two files I specified and a world folder with the normal tree down to the base and campaign folder.

Then I added a modded edu file - and launched it through the bat and the changes showed up...

All it should be doing is reading the files in the mod folder in preference to the (packed) files in the main data folder.

so should the config file be in the mymod folder or in the main M2TW one?

hellenes
12-05-2006, 00:21
Nevermind I fixed it....however i have a huge obstacle to my Greek localisation:
there are NO medieval fonts (like the menu text and the City overheads) in Greek just the Arial small text!!!!!!!!
Is there any way to edit the fonts?

swell
12-05-2006, 00:23
so should the config file be in the mymod folder or in the main M2TW one?

The two files, xxx.bat and xxx.cfg must be in the main folder, ie "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War"

NagatsukaShumi
12-05-2006, 00:30
Looks very interesting and it'll be nice to get a chance to play around with some more files now, promising news :2thumbsup:

shifty157
12-05-2006, 01:19
Good news indeed though still a far cry from a full unpacker. My guess is the patch has been delayed even farther back and this is CA's way of trying to smooth it over with us. Oh well.

Lusted
12-05-2006, 01:25
From what i understand they were just send to ER so we colud familiarise ourselves with them before the patch came out, not because the patch is delayed(which i do not think it is).

dark
12-05-2006, 01:28
BTW before you ask 'Where's the descr_model_battle.txt file?' - I tell you now - there is no dmb file used in the game.

I figured someone would ask about this, but no one did.

After checking out the files, I wonder, if they don't use a DMB, then what file is used to check models paths, etc? Or is it a secret that will be unveiled with the patch?

Epistolary Richard
12-05-2006, 01:28
I can assure you that this release and the patch's progress are entirely unrelated.

As for the replacement to the dmb file - I simply don't understand the process myself, I'm afraid.

Merlin's Apprentice
12-05-2006, 02:34
Works like a charm
Now just need some decent programmer to create a unit editor like Caligula

GodsPetMonkey
12-05-2006, 05:15
Works like a charm
Now just need some decent programmer to create a unit editor like Caligula

I am only one man people! :sweatdrop:

Nah, main problem right now is a few things are still not quite understood, like how it all ties in with models and the like, but that just means it'll be a 'over time' process, where rather then a smart setup that can edit lots of files, it'll start basic, get better.

Merlin's Apprentice
12-05-2006, 05:22
I have faith in ya :)
shouldnt take too long once the unpacker comes out and the rest of the files are available

Caligula works a wee bit already, just doesnt do the new stuff like stakes and such
havent tried to save an editted unit yet tho
still messing with units the old fasioned way
by hand

GodsPetMonkey
12-05-2006, 05:33
Caligula works a wee bit already, just doesnt do the new stuff like stakes and such
havent tried to save an editted unit yet tho
still messing with units the old fasioned way
by hand

Well, the files are similar, so yeah, that's to be expected, the problem is with new variables that the units have, like armour_ug_levels and armour_ug_models, which it can't handle, and will result in a non-working units file if you try to save. I would love to know where the models are now stored (instead of the DMB) cause then I could pull them in, but I guess it's not to be.

Something to work on when I get home from work though - part of the problem of CA Oz releasing something at the start of their work day, it's the start of mine too :no:

mor dan
12-05-2006, 06:05
well, with what i am reading they may have made it easier for modders to do things, but it lacks the simplicityof the old just mod a text file if you just want to tone down some unit strength or increase costs/build time.

creating new folders and knowing what has to go in them is a little complicated for me. i never understood it in the RTW mods either.

mor dan
12-05-2006, 06:12
"Then create a folder in that directory called mymod and in that have your data folder with its modded files exactly mimicking the directory structure in the main game folder."

this is where i get lost. for me to get it, you have to assume i don't know anything... basically because i don't.

the_mango55
12-05-2006, 06:16
I can't seem to get unit changes to show up.

What does the structure have to be when you run the .bat file?

So far I have tried /mymod/export_descr_unit.txt and /mymod/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

Neither of these show any of the changes made.

EDIT: nevermind, I figrued it out. I forgot to put [features] into the .cfg.

However, it looks like the stat_armour_ex is non functional. It is commented out in all cases, and if I remove the ; the game won't run.

This is very dissapointing.

Merlin's Apprentice
12-05-2006, 06:27
Has anyone been able to add new provinces yet?

Lightkeeper
12-05-2006, 08:03
Many Thanks. I'm very enthusiastic now... ~:) It's a new hope, after I just gave up playing this game.
And because this is my first post here: Greetings to everyone!

Dave1984
12-05-2006, 10:16
The two files, xxx.bat and xxx.cfg must be in the main folder, ie "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War"

How are these files created?

repman
12-05-2006, 10:19
How are these files created?

For a bat file you create a txt file with notepad and rename the ending to .bat

For the cfg file, make a copy of the standard cfg file and include the changes.

Loadingscreens and splash screen works fine in my mod DLV 1.5

repman

Myrddraal
12-05-2006, 11:05
Welcome Lightkeeper :bow:

Sky
12-05-2006, 11:30
I suppose it is impossible to use these changes in a savegame, using the mod switch? I keep getting unspecified error when loading a savegame (i copied the saves folder over, two sound files, and the base and campaign folders).

And Richard if you ever remember how to use these files in the main data folder do post an update please!

Kagemusha
12-05-2006, 11:48
Thanks ER.:bow:

=Omni=
12-05-2006, 13:06
There's some interesting info inside these files - e.g. in the file descr_ship.txt we can find that there were intially plans to include ships ingame. I wonder whether it's be possible to make them work?:book:

Dave1984
12-05-2006, 14:04
For a bat file you create a txt file with notepad and rename the ending to .bat

For the cfg file, make a copy of the standard cfg file and include the changes.
Thanks a lot for that!

I'm still having some difficulty in getting anything to work. I have followed all instructions to the letter, made the .cfg (with the features bit) and .bat files, and yet when I load the game with the .bat file it loads up the vanilla version rather than mymod.
I have made sure the sounds files are in the mymod folder and the structures are exact copies of the vanilla data folder, and still nothing.

Any ideas, guys? It'd be much appreciated.

Lusted
12-05-2006, 14:07
Try this guide i wrote at TWC:

Step-by-step guide on how to set up the mod switch feature:

1. Create a .bat file(make a .txt then rename the extension) in the Medieval II Total War folder with this line in it:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

2. Copy and paste the medieval2.preference.cfg file, rename the copy to mymod.cfg, and add this to it:

[features]
mod = mymod

(it also helps to set this file to read-only as otherwsie the changes seem to be lost)

3. Create a new folder inside the Medieval II Total War folder called mymod. Then create a folder called data inside that.

4. Copy the world and sound folders from Medeival II Total War\data to Medeival II Total War\mymod\data.

5. Then place any modified text files in the mymod\data folder.

6. Run the game using the .bat file.

Hope this helps you guys.

Dave1984
12-05-2006, 14:21
Try this guide i wrote at TWC:

Step-by-step guide on how to set up the mod switch feature:

1. Create a .bat file(make a .txt then rename the extension) in the Medieval II Total War folder with this line in it:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

2. Copy and paste the medieval2.preference.cfg file, rename the copy to mymod.cfg, and add this to it:

[features]
mod = mymod

(it also helps to set this file to read-only as otherwsie the changes seem to be lost)

3. Create a new folder inside the Medieval II Total War folder called mymod. Then create a folder called data inside that.

4. Copy the world and sound folders from Medeival II Total War\data to Medeival II Total War\mymod\data.

5. Then place any modified text files in the mymod\data folder.

6. Run the game using the .bat file.

Hope this helps you guys.

Ok, I've done all of that and it still loads the Vanilla version.
All I'm trying to do as a test is make the Saxons playable in the campaign using this modswitch. If I copy the modded files to the vanilla data folder then it works (OK, it doesn't, you can select the saxon shield at the faction select and then it takes you back to the menu)

If I swap the files over (so mymod has the vanilla descr strat and vanilla data has the modded files) and so on, launching the .bat file launches the modded version of the game so somewhere along the line it isn't using the mymod.cfg, or something.

Lusted
12-05-2006, 14:34
I've just realised the way i posted doesn't work for me, but i cannot work out why, as it follows exactly what ER posted in this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71291

Inside it should read:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

[features]
mod = mymod

Lusted
12-05-2006, 14:36
Ah, got it to work, i had named the .cfg file mymod.cfg, without realising that file extensions weren't being shown, so infact it was called mymod.cfg.cfg, so i just removed the .cfg from its name and it works.

Dave1984
12-05-2006, 14:41
Ah, got it to work, i had named the .cfg file mymod.cfg, without realising that file extensions weren't being shown, so infact it was called mymod.cfg.cfg, so i just removed the .cfg from its name and it works.

I'd done exactly the same thing, and now it works (well it doesn't, but at least it's launching from the right place!

Cheers

Lusted
12-05-2006, 14:45
typical isn't it eh? If it isn't working, you've probably done something very stupid and simple wrong.

Uedel
12-05-2006, 14:58
Any idea if it works with the packs files?

I tryed the Building descr file and placed it in mymod/packs but doesnt work............

Lusted
12-05-2006, 15:00
You dont need to place it in mymod\packs, you need to put it in mymod\data, as the mod switch function bypasses the pack files, maknig the game look for files in the mymod\data folder first, then in the packs folder.

methoz
12-05-2006, 17:02
is possible use this without moidswitcher?

dark
12-05-2006, 17:14
As for the replacement to the dmb file - I simply don't understand the process myself, I'm afraid.

But it will still be moddable, right?

MWNF
12-05-2006, 17:55
If anyone who has STEAM can't get this to work (Like me). Instead of creating a bat file do this.

1. Go to STEAM then My Games
2. Right Click on Medieval 2 and go to Properties
3. Click "Set launch options"
4. Enter "@mymod.cfg" without the quotes.

Using a bat file for me just popped up an error saying it couldn't find STEAM.

majesticchapel
12-05-2006, 17:58
Sorry if I might be posting this in the wrong thread, but will units that have been included in the export_descr_units.txt actually show up ingame instead of being inivisible?

Throumbaris
12-05-2006, 18:48
Sorry if I might be posting this in the wrong thread, but will units that have been included in the export_descr_units.txt actually show up ingame instead of being inivisible?
Depends on your definition of new units. If you add a conquistador to england it will have the peasant icon when you recruit him and the same stats and they will be invinsible since there are no textures for the english versions. You can however copy a spearman unit and rename it to something else with different stats.

geala
12-05-2006, 19:09
First, thanks all for your explanations. :2thumbsup: Finally even for me it was possible to run the mod switcher.

I feel rather comfortable being able to change costs and performance of artillery. Already done.

But when I tried to make Landsknechts not only a mercenary unit but recruitable for HRE, I saw that in the export_desc_unit_enums.txt are only unit names from RTW. Is it the wrong file or is there an additonal file which defines M2TW units as RTW units? Or is it no longer necessary to change the ..._enums.txt file?

Damonk
12-05-2006, 19:23
Nice stuff, this. However, I've stumbled upon a problem.

I tried adding a trait by copying the Divorced trait in the export_descr_character_trait and adding whatever effects I wanted to it.
It looked like this:

Trait Awesome
Characters family
hidden

Level Awesome
Description Divorced_desc
EffectsDescription Divorced_effects_desc
Threshold 1

Effect TaxCollection 100
Effect Command 10
Effect Loyalty 10
Effect Chivalry 10
Effect Piety 10
Effect Law 10
Effect Squalor -10
Effect Unrest -10
Effect TroopMorale 10
Effect HitPoints 30
Effect MovementPoints 10
Effect Trading 100

Upon loading a campaign game with this trait file, it crashes, after repeatedly having tried to find a certain trait on a certain line in the traits file, rather than going by names, according to the log file.

I suppose this means I have to edit the references somewhere else, but as I am completely new to modding the RTW engine, I am at a loss.

Can someone extend a helping hand to me?

majesticchapel
12-05-2006, 19:24
Hmm oh well, wanted to add gunpowder units to Byzantium.

alpaca
12-05-2006, 19:28
Guys, modding questions live in the modding questions section. Please post them there.

Damonk
12-05-2006, 20:04
Guys, modding questions live in the modding questions section. Please post them there.

I figured I'd post it here as it is directly related to the topic, but it seems I was wrong. I'll move it.

GODzilla
12-05-2006, 20:47
I just tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks for posting the files and instructions! :)

But I have a question: Though it works, there are no background pictures any more when the game loads...is this normal?

Csatadi
12-06-2006, 09:35
Great news! :2thumbsup:

papirius
12-06-2006, 15:04
well,
I think I followed the instructions exactly, but maybe I'm a silly-billy and can't do it right, because I tried to use the decr_units and the descr_buildings files
and the program still ignores them, though the new batch-file boots.

Would someone be so kind to offer a download, which contains
these two files and the other afforded changes, so that it can be pasted over the main folder?

Dave1984
12-06-2006, 16:06
Nice stuff, this. However, I've stumbled upon a problem.

I tried adding a trait by copying the Divorced trait in the export_descr_character_trait and adding whatever effects I wanted to it.
It looked like this:

Trait Awesome
Characters family
hidden

Level Awesome
Threshold 1

Effect TaxCollection 100
Effect Command 10
Effect Loyalty 10
Effect Chivalry 10
Effect Piety 10
Effect Law 10
Effect Squalor -10
Effect Unrest -10
Effect TroopMorale 10
Effect HitPoints 30
Effect MovementPoints 10
Effect Trading 100

Upon loading a campaign game with this trait file, it crashes, after repeatedly having tried to find a certain trait on a certain line in the traits file, rather than going by names, according to the log file.

I suppose this means I have to edit the references somewhere else, but as I am completely new to modding the RTW engine, I am at a loss.

Can someone extend a helping hand to me?

Have you also added the trait to the export_VnVs.txt file and put that file in a folder named text in your data folder for your mod?

It should look something like this

¬---------------------

{Awesome} Awesome

{Awesome_desc} Awesome

{Awesome_gain_desc}
This man has is Awesome. Etc

{Awesome_epithet_desc} The Awesome (!?)

{Awesome_effects_desc}
+ Awesomeness. (Or you could list all the effects)

¬---------------------

Then change this bit in Export_descr_Character_trait from

Level Awesome
Threshold 1

to

Level Awesome
Description Awesome_desc
EffectsDescription Awesome_effects_desc
GainMessage Awesome_gain_desc
Epithet Awesome_epithet_desc (optional)
Threshold 1

¬----------------------

That should work for starters.

Callatian
12-06-2006, 16:17
Pls ask for the descr_names_lookup I'm going nuts trying to change a name.

Dave1984
12-06-2006, 16:22
Pls ask for the descr_names_lookup I'm going nuts trying to change a name.

I think somewhere on here ER posted a list of all the names for each faction if that's what you're after, I keep forgetting to look for it, it's a pain when you enter a name you think sounds right for a faction and the character shows up nameless.

EDIT: Here's the link, hope it helps.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1300061#post1300061

Count Armfelt
12-06-2006, 21:19
Why doesn't the mod switcher work for me? Here's my folders:

https://img50.imageshack.us/img50/6268/1ik8.th.jpg (https://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1ik8.jpg)
https://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1702/2ew8.th.jpg (https://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2ew8.jpg)

I've noticed though I changed the name of the notepad file to Launch_MyMod.bat it still thinks it is Launch_MyMod.bat.txt , is this a problem? If so please tell me how to fix it, I'll give rep to the person who helps me solve this!

Callatian
12-06-2006, 22:22
I think somewhere on here ER posted a list of all the names for each faction if that's what you're after, I keep forgetting to look for it, it's a pain when you enter a name you think sounds right for a faction and the character shows up nameless.

EDIT: Here's the link, hope it helps.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1300061#post1300061

I try to add a new name and I'm going nuts trying to understand why the game does not work like in RTW and take my new info descr texts directly from the data folder :wall: - I do suspect that I am missing something.

Lusted
12-06-2006, 22:26
I try to add a new name and I'm going nuts trying to understand why the game does not work like in RTW and take my new info descr texts directly from the data folder - I do suspect that I am missing something.

Are you using the mod switch feature that ER explained in one of his reports from Brisbane?

Dave1984
12-06-2006, 23:34
I've noticed though I changed the name of the notepad file to Launch_MyMod.bat it still thinks it is Launch_MyMod.bat.txt , is this a problem? If so please tell me how to fix it, I'll give rep to the person who helps me solve this!

Have you tried creating a new notepad file with the correct line in it (Ie medieval2.exe@ mymod.cfg) and then save the file as Launch_MyMod.bat, making sure you delete the.txt in the filename field?

EG,

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/magma_crane/saveas.jpg

Epistolary Richard
12-07-2006, 02:32
top post zips updated to include descr_names_lookup.txt (data folder) and export_units.txt (text folder)

Lovasìjász
12-07-2006, 02:59
top post zips updated to include descr_names_lookup.txt (data folder) and export_units.txt (text folder)

I went to see the Oracle at Delphi and he said there something about the textures...:jumping:

Epistolary Richard
12-07-2006, 03:04
He wasn't kidding... :grin:

For 'experienced modders only'
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74083

Callatian
12-07-2006, 09:39
Have you tried creating a new notepad file with the correct line in it (Ie medieval2.exe@ mymod.cfg) and then save the file as Launch_MyMod.bat, making sure you delete the.txt in the filename field?

EG,

Can someone post a tutorial step by step for manual implementation of a mod? (no mod change program). I will appreciate it.

I get stuck at the steps part and / were / why? etc.

Thanks,
Callatian

Brighdaasa
12-07-2006, 12:38

it is indeed a problem, and there are 2 ways to fix this:

* when saving the file in notepad, choose Save as, and at the bottom of that windows change the "Save as type" option from Text files to All files, now save as Launch_MyMod.bat

* when vieuwing the medieval II total war folder, at the top center of the screen, choose Tools->Folder Options. Now select the View tab and uncheck the line "Hide extentions for known file types" . You now should see the file being named as Launch_MyMod.bat.txt in the explorer and you can just delete the .txt part of the filename

I hope i made it clear enough to understand, but i obviously don't know how the English terms translate to your language.

good luck

limes
12-07-2006, 14:16
Has anyone been able to add new provinces yet?

Yes. I've added some :).

limes
12-07-2006, 14:23
Pictures:

https://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7616/newcountiesinfrancefx6.jpg

https://img92.imageshack.us/img92/518/newcountiesinenglandgi9.jpg

Lord Ben
12-07-2006, 18:34
To quickly switch your .txt's to .bat's and whatnot you can also display the full filenames.

From your file view window go to tools, folder options, the view tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known filetypes".

My question though is what do we need to move into mymod to get the Grand Campaign to work?

Epistolary Richard
12-07-2006, 19:36
The base folder and the imperial_campaign folder - with the proper directory tree in place.

Puhliy
12-08-2006, 10:24
:help: Where are qutes.txt file??? How can can I change that phrases, that appears while loading...

Puhliy
12-08-2006, 10:29
:help: Where are quotes.txt file??? How can can I change that phrases, that appears while loading...

AlexF
12-08-2006, 16:38
I am missing the file to edit Scenario descriptions :embarassed:

tFighterPilot
12-08-2006, 18:59
The only file I really wanted was descr_model_battle :(

Lasias Wenson
12-08-2006, 20:35
Limes, how did you do that? I've been trying to add a region, but I keep getting an error, saying something about a script :dizzy2:

Merlin's Apprentice
12-08-2006, 21:16
there is 5 files you need to edit for adding regions not counting the tga
imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (in text folder)
descr_regions.txt (base folder)
descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt (campaign folder)
descr_mercenaries.txt (campaign folder)
descr_strat.txt (campaign folder)

Gaius Terentius Varro
12-08-2006, 22:59
Neither download for the CA files works, unfortunatelly

Epistolary Richard
12-09-2006, 03:07
The download site has probably been killed by EB downloads - you'll have to give it a while.

Saint Edwyn
12-09-2006, 06:14
I was digging around and couldn't find anyone with this problem, so I thought I'd ask it here.

I created a mod folder, that all worked great, the only change I made was increasing the movement points of ships and the diplomatic units (using the RTW trait trick). That theoretically shouldn't affect the battle map, but... when I go into battle the game is freezing up something crazy, pretty much every time I click on a unit the game locks for several seconds.

I've replicated it on different battle fields and it happens without fail every time. I then attempted to replicate it using the vanilla install and everything works perfectly there.

Has anyone else experienced this?

One thing I tried was copying all the data, sound, packs files into my mod directory, thinking that might help it find some file it's missing more quickly or something. Obviously that didn't work or I wouldn't be here, would I? :beam:

Savage_German
12-09-2006, 06:43
Links don't work:furious3:

scsscsfanfan
12-09-2006, 07:43
I was digging around and couldn't find anyone with this problem, so I thought I'd ask it here.

I created a mod folder, that all worked great, the only change I made was increasing the movement points of ships and the diplomatic units (using the RTW trait trick). That theoretically shouldn't affect the battle map, but... when I go into battle the game is freezing up something crazy, pretty much every time I click on a unit the game locks for several seconds.

I've replicated it on different battle fields and it happens without fail every time. I then attempted to replicate it using the vanilla install and everything works perfectly there.

Has anyone else experienced this?

One thing I tried was copying all the data, sound, packs files into my mod directory, thinking that might help it find some file it's missing more quickly or something. Obviously that didn't work or I wouldn't be here, would I? :beam:

Hi, I'm not sure about the "RTW trait trick", dose that mean you use a commend line IN game to add moment points?
I did similar thing by increase movement points for spy/assassin and decreased points for inquisitor (so my assassin can catch them), through mod the descr_character.txt file, it worked ok.

Saint Edwyn
12-09-2006, 14:49
Hi, I'm not sure about the "RTW trait trick", dose that mean you use a commend line IN game to add moment points?
I did similar thing by increase movement points for spy/assassin and decreased points for inquisitor (so my assassin can catch them), through mod the descr_character.txt file, it worked ok.

No, it involves adding a trait that the game checks for each turn for that unit which will give them added movement points. See this link...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=51372

But on the subject of my problem:

I went a step further and removed all actual modded files, but used the mymod batch file and thus the mymod directory and still I get the freezing up in battle.

Saint Edwyn
12-09-2006, 15:26
when I go into battle the game is freezing up

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I can't edit the original. I was just playing around with the vanilla install and it is also locking up now. I guess I didn't give it long enough while testing between mods to see if it happens there too. So it's something to do with the base install that suddenly started happening after over a week of perfect game play. Can't say I expect anything else from the Total War series. *sigh*

So never mind. The problem isn't mod related at all.

Lasias Wenson
12-09-2006, 20:38
Thanks, Merlin's Apprentice, but I had already edited those files... hmmm, I'll just have to keep testing or try again

DarkKnight
12-09-2006, 21:31
When I try to download them it says bandwidth exceeded. Could someone please rehost them? :help:

f4u.fly
12-10-2006, 05:06
cant download!

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

i there another mirror?

Epistolary Richard
12-10-2006, 13:47
Added link in top post to download mirror provided by HorseArcher.

dragan
12-10-2006, 17:37
I can't found the file imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

rawghi
12-12-2006, 11:53
I noticed that the alt download link (at TWC) only have the data files, not the text files, anyone know where to find them?

ezekiel6
12-14-2006, 03:06
Limes how on earth did you get Cornwall in there? I have been trying for about 3hrs to get a Dartmoor province into the map, basically using your cornwall as a guide and all it does is cause ctds. I've got other provinces in no problem but it just seems to be that location. I've put in a black square for the settlement and a white one for the port did you have to put them anywhere special?

bobman2
12-14-2006, 23:52
I have followed the instuctions to the letter I made the bat file I copied the cfg file and added the features mod=mymod I made the my mod file i copied the entire data file then I psted the txt files that I downloaded but when I change the termplar kinghts numbers to 60 and when I try to give musketeers to the english I start the game with the bat file and the original unmodded game starts wtf

Simmons
12-15-2006, 11:18
It seems text\names.txt is missing or has it changed and the file is no longer needed.

bobman2
12-15-2006, 18:16
then what do I do

Lusted
12-15-2006, 18:28
Make sure you haven't named your new mymod.cfg file mymod.cfg.cfg. That is what i did when i first tried to do the mod switch. Simply rename the mymod.cfg to mymod and it should work.

bobman2
12-15-2006, 18:44
I did that and now its just my mod a file not a cfg and the game still does not work

keravnos
12-15-2006, 21:28
Nevermind I fixed it....however i have a huge obstacle to my Greek localisation:
there are NO medieval fonts (like the menu text and the City overheads) in Greek just the Arial small text!!!!!!!!
Is there any way to edit the fonts?

ΣΥΝΕΛΛΗΝΑ, I heartedly wish the very best of Luck with this!!

We have our diffrences concerning EB's ancient greek voicemod, but, I wholehartedly support your effrort! Well done!

bobman2
12-15-2006, 21:31
what do I do, someone post a genuine easily read list of instructions

Roy1991
12-15-2006, 21:35
Can't get the modswitch to work :(

If I create a txt file in the M2 folder, and then rename it to Launch_MyMod.bat, it stays a .txt file, instead of becoming a .bat file.

Anyone happen to know how to solve this?
Thanks in advance.

Kraxis
12-15-2006, 23:42
I assume you have changed the little file selector to 'all' rather than *.txt right? Cause I suffered from the same problem until I did that.

redmark
12-15-2006, 23:50
I did that and now its just my mod a file not a cfg and the game still does not work

Sounds like you have file extensions hidden; by removing the .cfg, you've probably ended up with a file called mymod.txt.

In My Computer, click Tools, then Folder Options, then the 'View' tab, then UNtick "Hide file extensions for known file types".

Roy1991
12-16-2006, 00:40
Sounds like you have file extensions hidden; by removing the .cfg, you've probably ended up with a file called mymod.txt.

In My Computer, click Tools, then Folder Options, then the 'View' tab, then UNtick "Hide file extensions for known file types".

Thanks, that fixed it :balloon2:

redmark
12-16-2006, 01:33
Thanks, that fixed it :balloon2:

You're welcome. I'm completely unable to get my own working, for some reason... :)

zhumin1978
12-16-2006, 21:13
Can we have the updated data/text files for v1.1, if there are any changes made to them?

hwfanatic
12-17-2006, 08:33
You can extract any file you need with the provided unpacker. It comes with v1.1 and is located in "tools" folder.

zhumin1978
12-17-2006, 18:59
You can extract any file you need with the provided unpacker. It comes with v1.1 and is located in "tools" folder.

Thanks, man!
I thought those unpacked text and xml files would be in hard to read forms and didn't give it a go.
Now its the modding time!

Valentine82
12-26-2006, 09:07
Maybe this has already been asked, but because there are so many posts I don't know how to even begin to filter through them all.

I downloaded the M2TW_data_files.zip and opened it up, can someone please tell me how the hell to even use these, what folder to extract them to, ect? I mean seriously guys, if the infermation's there somewhere, or there's a tutorial, it's kind of obscure and confusing and seems to assume whoever gets these files will already know or something.

methoz
12-28-2006, 23:45
pls all rebels.txt

swisz
01-17-2007, 15:44
Really how the hell(sorry my use of word) do you guys know where you gonna put these files ? am i totally a short brained computer thingy ?:wall:

bggeneral
09-04-2007, 09:25
Can anyone post the most used .txt files for Modding? I need only exp_desc units and buildings and related, as was for MTW2. No need to unpack everithing, because of this. With unpacker i HAVE SOME ... STRANGE PROBLEMS....and messageses...
Thank you in advance.

bggeneral
09-04-2007, 09:30
Can anyone post the most used .txt files for Modding? I need only exp_desc units and buildings and related, as was for MTW2. No need to unpack everithing, because of this. With unpacker i HAVE SOME ... STRANGE PROBLEMS....and messageses...
Thank you in advance.

I mean - .txt files for Kingdoms expansion. Sorry!!!

bggeneral
09-04-2007, 09:36
Where I can get the same resources but for Kingdoms?

CharlesMarkley
09-04-2007, 16:52
Where I can get the same resources but for Kingdoms?

Ditto. All I'm seeing are the .bin files after trying to unpack Kingdoms Crusades.

alpaca
09-04-2007, 18:21
Ditto. All I'm seeing are the .bin files after trying to unpack Kingdoms Crusades.
My .strings.bin converter should still be able to handle most of them:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75229

CharlesMarkley
09-05-2007, 21:40
My .strings.bin converter should still be able to handle most of them:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75229

Hi Alpaca,

I will take a look at this tonight (at work right now). I've never tried a .bin converter, but I may have spoke too soon as there appear to be missing .bin files even, after I've tried to unpack the Crusades files

(see issue here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118390)

Flying Pig
08-09-2008, 21:13
Cna we have these for Kingdoms?

irishron2004
08-10-2008, 09:48
Just unpack the campaigns and you have them. The only way you will get the originals legally.

Flying Pig
08-10-2008, 13:30
Can someone giv me the unpack_all.bat text necessary for that? My unpacker crashes when I try it.

British Mutt + Viking
08-17-2009, 22:00
Could any of you chaps provide me with the text to use the unpacker to unpack the britannia campaign? I have my SEGA file directly on C:drive, not under program files.

username1999
11-08-2016, 18:40
Caliban from CA Oz has sent me the following data files to release:
(go Caliban! :medievalcheers:)
From the data folder - download
config_ai_battle.xml
custom_locations.txt
descr_campaign_db_ai.xml
descr_campaign_db.xml
descr_character.txt
descr_climates.txt
descr_cultures.txt
descr_faction_standings.txt
descr_formations.txt
descr_formations_ai.txt
descr_missions.txt
descr_models_strat.txt
descr_names.txt
descr_names_lookup.txt
descr_rebel_factions.txt
descr_religions.txt
descr_religions_lookup.txt
descr_settlement_mechanics.xml
descr_ship.txt
descr_skeleton.txt
descr_sm_factions.txt
descr_sm_resources.txt
export_descr_advice.txt
export_descr_ancillaries.txt
export_descr_buildings.txt
export_descr_character_traits.txt
export_descr_guilds.txt
export_descr_unit.txt
weather_db.xml

From the text folder - download
NB - Remember, these need to go in a text folder in the data folder.
campaign_descriptions.txt
expanded.txt
export_advice.txt
export_ancillaries.txt
export_buildings.txt
export_units.txt
export_VnVs.txt
imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
names.txt
rebel_faction_descr.txt
shared.txt
strat.txt

I can't download any of the files... It just gets me into a blank new page and nothing happens... PLEASE HELP!!!