PDA

View Full Version : WotS The Battle of Ancrya

econ21
12-07-2006, 21:07
The Battle of Ancrya, Summer 250 BC

Initial Deployment:

https://img224.imageshack.us/img224/647/ancyradeployzj8.th.jpg (https://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancyradeployzj8.jpg)

Opening divisions

Consular

I. Battle division - main battle line
II. Light infantry division – slingers and skirmish detachment
III. Command division - generals and equites
IV. Light cavalry division
V. Cavalry reserve division
VI. Reserve division

Senate

I. Battle division - main battle line inc. Appius & flanking swords
II. Light infantry division - frontal skirmisher and slinger detachment
III. Second battle division - Numerius + hastati
IV. Cavalry division (to the left)
V. Horse archer detachment
VI. Reserve division

How the battle will be played:

1. I will umpire the battle but not participate. Tamur will act as both Numerius and Appius, controlling all the Senate forces. Braden will control all the Consular ones. (No other players should advise them or communicate with them during the battle.)

2. I have cut and paste all the icons of the units onto a word document.http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/ancrya.zip
Each player should copy the icons of their units into Microsoft Paint and arrange them in his order of battle. They will then save the file, zip it and upload it. I will put the two together to show the intial battle deployment and upload it.

3. We will abstract from terrain - it's a level playing field. Fine viisibility and weather. Fatigue will be a factor though - best keep a fresh reserve for late day.

4. There will then be 6 turns:
- advance to contact (1) - Wed
- mid-morning (2) - Th
- late morning (3) - Fri
- early afternoon (4) - Sat
- late afternoon (5) - Sun
- evening (6) - Mon
At the start of each turn, each player will use Paint to mark his planned maneouvres and send me any accompanying notes.

5. Players should act like historical armies and not try to micro-manage too much. Orders may get lost and things may slip up. The position of the 4 generals will be particularly important in determining the outcome of any fine maneouvring - if he is far away or locked in combat, he may not be able to control events. (Best avoid the RTW bad habit of using your general as a spearhead.)

6. I will put the orders together. Execution of movement will be simultaneous, so I will work out the result of any clashes arising based on my judgement - informed by common sense, unit stats, history and experience of RTRPE. I will upload an end-turn file showing the state of play together with a brief narrative courtesy of my grad student Jack.

7. We will play out one turn per day of real life. We will have Monday to discuss these proposals and agree procedures. Send me your deployments by Tuesday night and then we will try to get through a turn a day, finishing a week on Monday. I know weekends can be a problem, but we can deal with that if you give me notice.

8. The battle will be decisive. The losers will all be killed or surrender. The winners will take casualties on the campaign map (losing whole units) I deem reasonable given the battle.

Further notes:

After deployment, we will then have a "move to contact" turn, where both players will give their opening moves which will be executed simultaneously until either of you gets into missile or charge range.

After that, we will have 6 regular turns, where you will be able to give incremental orders. I am going to try to simulate a real ancient battle, so it may take more than a turn for a melee between two lines of heavy infantry to be resolved. A cavalry charge will be resolved more quickly though (and if successful may overrun into other enemy units during the same turn).

I will also impose fatigue penalties, so units that come into the action later in the day will have an edge. A typical unit will only be able to fight for two turns and then be exhausted. Units will not be able to withdraw easily from a melee, except Roman infantry which was apparently practiced that.

Units may be able to change their facing autonomously so if you want a flank attack, make sure you pin the enemy first. Units next to a general may be able to do even more in reaction to an enemy move so make sure you place your general where he needs to be to control things.

Please don't ask me to align unit x to fight unit y - I don't think a real Roman general would get into such a level of micromanagement (unless he was adjacent to unit x).

On the realism of fog of war - a general can only see through line of sight. He does not have a helicopter or interactive total war style map laid out. Once the lines have met in combat, I doubt he could see much - particularly on level ground. He would have to use riders to keep in touch with his divisons, but riders can be lost, reports garbled and orders can be misunderstood (think Balaclava).

Divisional structure and giving orders

To simplify this, please give orders only to groups (“division”) of your army. You may have a maximum of 8 “divisions” in your army.

You currently have 6 each and so may create another 2 during the course of the battle by detaching units from existing divisions. It would be foolish to try to re-arrange units locked in melee, though. Your main reserves are probably the best formations to try to break down in new divisions – e.g. if you only want to commit some at a particular time.

However, each general may be given individual orders and need not be in a division. The generals are Numerius, Appius, Manius and son. The Senate Tribune is not a general per se, although his presence in a division may give that division more autonomous capability.

Please draft your orders in character, as if given by a real general. They should be clear and simple. The more confused or complicated, the more likely the divisional commander will mess up. Ideally, I would like to publish these orders in a battle report (after the battle is concluded – so they will be confidential until then). You may allow for contingencies, but if the orders are too complex, the divisional commander may become confused or feel constrained from acting on his own initiative. You can trust your divisional commanders to execute their orders in a competent way (you don’t need to micromanage them and tell them how to fight – I may let the AI control them to see how a division vs division fight would play out). But they will have limited initiative to respond to new developments.

What orders should cover:
- where to move, inc. facing
- which formation to engage or screen (this will help me determine facing)
- for missiles (inc. pila and javelin armed heavily infantry): whether to fire at will or who to target
- for melee units: whether to charge or prepare to receive a charge
- whether to pursue or hold ground once in place

Consular Orders for turn 1:

Main Battle formation (on field):

Aim - To engage and largest enemy battle formation.

Formation standing orders - Advance at a walk, if enemy formation is longer than this formation they advance to concentration on the enemy Right flank and the formations right-flank spears move to present to their right to help prevent "wrap around". IF, enemy formation has roughly the same size in front line this formation advances to meet on equal.

Unit Standing orders -

Principi : Guard formation at all times unless ordered directly otherwise. Use all pila as the main enemy body presents itself. Charge to engage with main formation ONLY once all pila are used. Do not break formation.

Triarii : Guard formation at all times unless ordered directly otherwise. Charge to engage ONLY with Principi.

Front line Gallatian swords : Guard formation at all times unless ordered directly otherwise. Charge to engage ONLY with Triarii.

Italian Spearmen : Guard formation at all times unless ordered directly otherwise. Charge to engage ONLY to support Gallatian swords, flank enemy formations ONCE Gallatian's are engaged.

Gallic Warband : Guard formation at all times unless ordered directly otherwise. Charge to engage ONLY to support Italian spearmen, protect Italian Spearmen's flanks and rear, do not directly engage enemy units. You are to protect the flanks of the formation.

Flank Rear Gallatian swords : Engage at Will. Once front line has engaged, swing wide and flank enemy formations, attempt ALWAYS to engage those enemy flank units that are engaged already. Only once the enemy flanks have routed are you to engage rear enemy units.

Skirmish Cohort Unit orders

Slingers : Advance in formation, engage enemy flank units or isolated infantry units. Attempt to always enable a flank shot. Do not advance within javelin range of enemy main formations. Attempt to isolate and destroy individual units ONLY, if this is not possible merely harass from flanks (flank shots).

Skirmishers : You are direct support for the Slingers. If they are charged by a cavalry unit and cannot withdraw before contact you are to countercharge (loose javelins if possible). Otherwise, remain in formation and engage with Javelins any enemy units that range too close to Slingers.

Do not pursue routing units.

Manius's Cavalry Cohort orders

Advance in formation at all times (strait line formation, four thick minimum), advance on extreme right flank, out of charge range of main formation but level with them. Monitor skirmish cohort for issues, if cavarly looks to wish to engage skirmish cohort then advance to within charge range rapidly behind skirmish cohort. IF they are still engaged by cavalry, countercharge to support skirmishers directly - NEVER Pursue routing enemy.

Gallic light Cavalry cohort orders

Advance in formation at all times (strait line, four thick minimum). Advance supporting (within charge range) of left flank of main battle formation. Only engage unengaged enemy units threatening to envelope/flank main battle formation and only after they are themselves engaged (rear/flank charge). Main job is to chase routers LATE in the battle, so minimal contact is encouraged but presence is essential to secure left flank of main battle line.

Reserve List

Main reserve Battle formation - Deployed behind main battle formation (1000+ meters). Advance in concert with main battle formation (i.e. deployed at start), but not to engage until directly ordered to do so. Advance in formation at all times, remain behind and left of the main battle formation (distances as above). You are the main battle reserve but are intended to enter battle at the pivitol time, but to also enter in formation as given.

Unit specific orders :

Hastati - Guard formation initially, loose all Pila then change to Engage at Will.

Gallic Warbands - Hold formation (Guard). Defend formation only, do not charge to engage unless directly supporting cohort (i.e. other units in cohort are engaging), attempt to flank or engage already engaged units.

Eastern Mercs - Guard formation at all times, only advance to engage already engaged enemy units. Defend right flank against cavalry.

Gallatian Swordsmen - Stay in formation at all times, Engage at Will formation for unit. Engage enemy units as they present themselves.

Italian Swordsmen - retain formation at all times until engagement. Engage at Will, flank round your main formation and attempt to engage already engaged enemy formations, watch for cavalry. If Cavalry present themselves - counter charge immediately. Seek engaged cavlary as a priority target.

Reserve Cavalry

Retain formation (line x Four), shadow main formation on right flank, hold back significantly (1500+meters). However, once main formation has engaged, continue to advance at a walk behind Manius's formation. Engage when ordered to do so and what targets to do so - do NOT engage otherwise.

Senate Orders for Turn 1:

Orders:

1. All troops are to march forward in the current formation, except as
noted in special order 5.

2. Two reserve units are to be called up and hastened to the main army:

a. the cyrtian slingers should join with their fellow cyrtian
slingers and fire into the enemy's front line.

b. the thracian light cavalry are to join the cavalry under Luculus.

3. Unforseen strange behaviour (such as the Consular skirmishers
charging the main line's left flank) should be defended against, not
agressively attacked. The exception to this would be if the Consular
bodyguards came within missile range of our slingers. (see orders #3

4. Missile troops who are being charged should fall back to the flanks
of the army (not straight through the army) unless there is no other way
to escape. If they must go straight backward through the army, they
should get to the flank closest to their position as soon as possible.

5. The main focus of the morning's work is to:

a. weaken the centre of the Consular front line while strengthening
our own,

b. keep the enemy missile troops under fire and unable to target our
front line until it is too late.

SPECIAL ORDERS...

1. MOUNTED ARCHERS: You are to focus on harassing the gallic light
cavalry on the Consular army's left flank. Avoid engagement, use a
circle, run from battle, just harass and threaten them with missile fire
no matter where they go.

2. MISSILE: Funditores, you are to focus your fire on the slingers and
skirmishers on the Consular right.

3. MISSILE: Velites and slingers, you are to focus your fire on the
Consular centre. If the Consular bodyguards come within striking
distance, I want ALL of your men to fire at them. I want Manius and his
catamite son lying dead on the field by noon.

4. CAVALRY: You will move in a wide arc outward, then inward again
toward the Consular right flank. Missile cavalry (ooc: that is, all
except Luculus), use agressive feints and missile fire to harass and
threaten the enemy skirmishers and slingers. If faced with a charge from
the Consular cavalry or bodyguard, fall back to our front line's right
flank, and keep the charging cavalry under missile fire while doing so.
Luculus, I want you to stay with them but completely avoid engagement,
you hear me?!

5. HASTATI: Hastati, you will move with Numerius to the centre of the
line just behind the Thrac, following the thracian infantry such that
they can cast their pilae over the heads of the front line. Numerius is
to follow a bit behind the hastati line.

End Turn 1: The Situation After Advancing to Contact

https://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4521/ancyraturn1of0.th.jpg (https://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancyraturn1of0.jpg)

Consular Plan for Turn 2:

Unit movements, orders and Targets.

Light Infantry division :

Slinger targets are depleted slinger unit and Hoplites (angles shown on map, one unit of Gallatian slingers on the depleted unit, other two slinger units on the Hoplite). Readying to withdraw, though, as threat percieved by Cavalry in front.

Italian Skirmishers acting as per initial orders - first unit bracing to receive potential charge and be in melee, second unit ready to loose javelins then enter melee in support. They are correspondingly ensuring they are in a deep formation (which they should have been anyway).

If by chance they are by-passed by the cavalry, the rear Italian skirmishers are ready with Javelin volleys.

Command Division :

Manius is readying and positioning to face off against enemy cavalry ahead. If they charge the Light Infantry division he will also charge to contact, timed to arrive after enemy cavalry have made contact with the Italian Skirmishers. If the enemy cavalry charge past the Skirmishers, he will initiate a charge.

Cavalry Reserve:

As per main orders, following Manius forward and right. Will follow him into charge if he commits. Will arrive into combat just after he has (as planned and explained).

Battle Division:

Division continues to advance strait on now as per initial orders. Also, as per orders they will enage with missiles the Italian Skirmish unit (concentrated fire from Velites and Princeps if they get in range only). Gauls are readying WARCRY. Princeps are lining up to fight the left flank Thracians, unit of 65 Triarii lining up to attack the Italian Spearmen, unit of 77 Triarii likewise will engage Thracians. Manius's left flank (right flank as per diagram) Gallatians preparing to charge round to defend flank once front is engaged.

Once front is engaged - Gallic Warband and Gallatians on Manius's right (left as per diagram) will charge round the Senates left flank to engage Gallatians and Hoplite (who will be faced with a Gallatian unit as well as Italian Spearmen to the front and flank).

The Centurion in command is not expecting the Skrimish units of the enemy to remain where they are.

- Note; Behind one unit of Velites enters battle late, running forward to join alongside/behind unit of Velites in the Battle Division.

Light Cavalry Division

As per orders - forcing horse archers away from main battle. Commander is thinking about splitting his force.

Reserve Division

Have gained correct position so are advancing at pace with Battle Division. No engagement planned.

Senate Orders for Turn 2

The only change of orders I would like is to send Appius into the newly
formed Heavy Cavalry division with Luculus, and give it its own special
order. Order for them will look like:

HEAVY CAVALRY: remain on the left flank, watching for a Consular cavalry
flanking maneuver. The light cavalry should keep the missile troops
occupied, but if they for whatever reason are able to fire on you, get
out of range, even if it means falling back behind the front line.

Other than that, no change of orders.

econ21
12-08-2006, 11:35
End Turn 2: Mid-morning

https://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9813/ancyraturn2rvbu1.th.jpg (https://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancyraturn2rvbu1.jpg)

Turn 2: Umpire notes

The Senate Heavy Cavalry Division was formed by separating the Praetorian and Sarmatian cavalry from javelin armed cavalry.

On the left, the Senate Light cavalry division approached the Consular Light Division. The slingers withdrew behind the Italian skirmishers at the approach of the enemy cavalry. The cavalry harass the Italian skirmishers with javelin fire. The front line of the Italians had been ordered not to fire at will and the slingers had been ordered to target the Senate funditores, while the Senate cavalry had been ordered to avoid being under fire. Consequently, the Senate cavalry were able to cause around 15 casualties among the Italians before withdrawing, having exhausted their javelins. The main effect of this action, however, was that the Consular slingers were unable to do much damage against the Senate funditores. Note: the Consular cavalry did not intervene as the Senate Light Cavalry Division did not charge.

On the centre, both Battle Divisions approached each other, but - lacking explicit orders to attack - stopped short of entering melee. The Senate Light division withdrew to the flanks and fired at the Consular forces. The Thracians in the Senate Battle division threw their javelins at the Consular forces - the Consular princeps replied. The Consular forces came off the worst in this exchange - suffering fire from the four Thracians and the Senate Light division. They lost around 100 men.

The Senate Second Division and the velites in the Consular battle force did not fire, being at the rear and out of range.

The Consular Reserve Division gained somewhat on the Consular Battle Division but did not draw level as the Battle Division was not yet engaged.

The Consular Light Cavalry Division was divided into two. LC Division I pursued the Senate Horse archers. The horse archers inflicted significant losses on the unarmoured pursuing Gauls, who were unable to catch their faster prey. LC Division II moved to the east of the Reserve Division.

Turn 2: Consular feedback

This is what Manius sees during the mid-morning. The two main Battle Divisions advance on each other, the Senate skirmish line withdrawing to the flanks. The two main Battle Divisions then halt and engage in javelin fire, but do not melee. When he queries this, Manius is told that - in the absence of explicit orders to attack - the Battle Division commander was reluctant to order a charge. Your line comes off worse in this exchange of javelins, as the principes must fend off four Thracian units - your velites, being at the rear, are out of range.

On Manius’s left, the Light Division is harassed by Senate javelin-armed cavalry. The enemy cavalry then withdraw out of slingshot range, but they have prevented the Light Division from inflicting significant damage on the Senate skirmish line.

On Manius’s right, the Reserve Division has caught up somewhat with the Battle Division, but still lags behind it.

The Light Cavalry Division has been divided. First Gallic cavalry troop is chasing the Senate horse archers and as a result, you have lost contact with that troop. Second Gallic cavalry troop has moved to the left of the Reserve Division. (These two troops now constitute separate “division” - you have one more division slot open, although you could create more by merging existing divisions).

Turn 2: Senate feedback

Numerius is violently ill - crippled with stomach cramps. He delegates command of the battle to Appius, although his Praetoria remain available as a unit and he gamely stays with it, available to ride and give secondary commands if needed.

This is what Appius see during the mid-morning. The two main Battle Divisions advance on each other, the Senate skirmish line withdrawing to the flanks - maintaining fire on the enemy front. The two main Battle Divisions then halt and engage in javelin fire, but do not melee. . When he queries this, Appius is told that - in the absence of explicit orders to attack - the Battle Division commander was reluctant to order a charge. .Your line comes off better in this exchange of javelins, as four Thracians have to contend with only one unit of principes. But the Thracians have now exhausted their javelins, although the hastati in the rear have not fired as they were out of range

On Appius’s left, the Senate Heavy Cavalry Division was formed by separating the Praetorian and Sarmatian cavalry from javelin armed cavalry (the Light Cavalry Divison). The Light Cavalry Division harasses by Consular skirmishers. They inflict only modest casualties but have kept the Consular slingers from doing significant damage to the Senate Light Division. They have now exhausted their javelins and withdrawn out of slingshot range.

On Appius’s right, the enemy Consular Reserve Division has caught up somewhat with the Senate Battle Division, but is still a little behind it.

The horse archers are being pursued by one of the two Gallic cavalry troops, who they punish with their Parthian shots. The other Gallic cavalry troop has moved to the left (your right) of the Senate Reserve Division.

Consular plan for turn 3:

Light infantry/skirmish division :

Slingers – Keep formation. Concentrate fire into the Italian skirmish unit ahead of you. If it goes below half strength switch to the Cyrtian slingers, then finish the depleted slinger unit ahead of you if the Cytians get below half.

Italian Skrimishers – one unit stay protecting the slingers. The other, follow Manius’s cavalry, engage in melee when he does.

Manius’s cavalry division:

Moving down past the Light Infantry division then charging the three unit cavalry division behind them – Reserve cavalry following as per original orders, will also engage as per original orders (i.e. following him, engaging who he does etc).

Main Battle division:

Detach your Velites from your rear, they are to flank left (as diagram) and follow flanking Gallatian swords to provide direct fire support once they have engaged – targets of opportunity (Manius the Mad, Thracians, engaged enemy Gallatian swords).

Italian Spearmen - You are flanking now as you have overlap! Flank that Phalanx!

Gallatian Swords (left flank rear) – Flank and engage enemy Gallatian swords, flank them after the warband ahead of you has engaged.

Gaul Warband (left flanking unit) - flank directly and engage Gallatian swords ahead of you, support will arrive and flank them.

Front line units - CHARGE! (can’t make this anymore clear to that stupid commander!) Engage any and all units to your front.

Gallatian Swords (right flank rear) – flank and engage Cyrtian spear unit fall in alongside the warband unit ahead of you.

Gaul Warband (right flank rear) - charge strait ahead and engage in hand to hand with whomever is ahead of you (Cyrtian spears on map)

All Gaul units – WARCRY prior to charging.

Reserve battle division – Advance double time, charge when in range. Sweep round enemy flanks (diagram).

Left flank Italian swords – punch in behind the Eastern Mercs and engage the enemy Cyrtian Spears on their front rank, engage after using one round of Javelins.

Other Infantry units, continue to charge until engagement, hit flank of main enemy line, flank and envelope as you can – expect to hit flank of enemy reserves.

Cavalry unit – charge one Slinger unit if it exits right away from divisions advance.

All Gaul units – WARCRY before charge.

Lone Light Cavalry unit – attempt to charge down horse archers. If they evade, swing left and engage in direct support to your brother light cavalry unit (effectively becoming part of Reserve battle division and also charging into the same slinger unit).

https://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8196/ancyrabraden3qg0.th.jpg (https://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancyrabraden3qg0.jpg)

Senate plan for turn 3:

1. Main line, you are to march forward until within charge distance.
Hastati will discharge their pilae against the centre of the Consular
line, then the entire main line is to charge, including Hastati.If the
enemy charge first, the main line will brace for the impact and Hastati
will discharge pilae as the enemy are charging. The focus of our work
until noon is the Consular centre. I want a hole in that line that we
can pour through like milk from a pitcher. Swords, you are an exception
to this rule (ooc: see special orders #1). Under NO circumstances are
foot troops to chase routing enemy troops!

2. I expect hard fighting until past noon, but if we do push through the
centre before your next orders, I want all uncommitted troops to pour
through and start rolling up the Consular line to our right.

3. Reserve units are all to move toward their destinations, at normal
walk so as not to wind themselves.

a. Triarii, you are to form up slantwise to screen Appius and
provide flank defence on our left side. I want the rightmost triarius in
contact with the leftmost gallic swordsman. You are to hold your ground
in that position.

b. Principes, you are moving to be our right flank. Form up
slantwise. I want the leftmost princeps in contact with the rightmost
gallic swordsman on the right flank. Discharge pilae at any enemy in
front of you, then fight to hold your ground.

c. Thracians, listen well! I need you to join your fellow Thracians
at the front. The centre of the Consular line is your target. When you
get to the front, if you can throw javelins do so; most likely you will
need to drop them in the grass. Javelins or no, I want you to charge,
screaming like the Furies. Scare the bowels out of what's left of the
Consular centre. Out of this entire battle, your charge needs to be a
most decisive moment. Make it a hammer blow.

d. Missile troops, move to the left and join the other missile
troops there. When you get there, your job is to keep the enemy missile
troops too busy firing back at you to worry about flanking the main line.

3. Both Appius' and Numerius' bodyguard units are to remain in the same
position in which they are now. If the Consular Gallic cavalry attempt a
flank and the Principes are unable to defend against it, Numerius'
bodyguard will charge in to fight it off. But I hope it does not come to
that.

SPECIAL ORDERS...

1. SWORDS: move out to the sides of the line during the charge. I want a
flat front line hitting the enemy all at the same time. This does not
mean I want you to wrap around the Consular front! If there is grass in
front of you when you square up with the front of the line, stand there
and wait for the enemy to come to you.

2. MOUNTED ARCHERS: You have your orders. Follow that unit of gallic
cavalry chasing you. Hound them, hunt them, destroy them. If you run out
of missiles, engage them in melee and cut them up. I want them out from
under my skin.

3. LEFT MISSILES: Change of target: keep the enemy slingers and
skirmishers under fire at all times. Again, keep watch for a cavalry
charge and fall back to the flank, but form up if the triarii are not
there yet to face a charge.

4. RIGHT MISSILES: Change of target: concentrate your fire to the
Consular reserves who are trying to flank us. Fell as many as you can,
and then get out of the way behind the principes and stay there.

5. MISSILE & HEAVY CAVALRY: Missiles, well done keeping the fire off our
line. Let your horses breathe, they'll need their wind for the
afternoon's work. Keep a lookout for and defend against Manius trying
some daring idiotic cavalry charge. If our front line breaks them in the
centre, I want the heavy cavalry through that hole at full gallop, with
your target being the velites.

https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4227/ancyratamur3tg0.th.jpg (https://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancyratamur3tg0.jpg)

econ21
12-08-2006, 11:37
The situation at the end of Late Morning (end of turn 3):

https://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3971/ancryaturn3jy2.th.jpg (https://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancryaturn3jy2.jpg)

Note: the Senate horse archer unit is not depicted on the map - it is off to the right - but it will return under Senate control on turn 4.

Umpire notes:

Appius commits his reserves. The two Thracians join the Second Battle Division (the hastati). The two Principes join the Battle Division on its right flank. The rest of the Reserve Division marches to the left flank, where it is amalgamated with the left half of the Light Division. The Light Division itself now consist only of the skirmishers on the right. Appius himself rides to join his Heavy Cavalry Division.

Centre

The Senate front line extends to form a straight line and then it moves to a charge. Manius gives very detailed orders to the Battle Division Commander. The commander is confused, but frustrated by the losses to the Thracian javelins and seeing the inactivity among the Senate forces, he psyches his men up with jeers and war cries, then orders a general charge. He hopes this is what Manius meant. There begins a long and brutal melee. The Senate side has the advantage due to the preparatory damage done by the Thracian javelins and the Light Division mid-morning. However, the morale and staying power of the Consular Battle division is considerable. Although some Gallic warbands start to break off and flee, the line as a whole holds up. The Senate triarii belatedly arrive on the left flank, one cohort being dragged into melee.

Right flank

The Consular Reserve Division advances at double time, unbeknownst to it racing with the Principes from the Senate reserves, also coming on at the same speed. The principes reach the far right of the Senate Right Flank division before the Consular Reserves can make contact with that point. Gradually, the Reserve Division works around the flank of the principes, into the rear of the Senate battle line. The principes are vastly outnumbered, but they fight on determinedly, slaughtering Gallic fighters. The Consular forces cannot bring their full weight of numbers to bear on such a small force and so the struggle becomes one of bitter attrition – the outcome is not in doubt, but by noon, the principes are still tying up the Consular Reserve division.

The 1st Gallic cavalry division charges the Senate Galatian slingers, who flee. Numerius rides to intercept with his bodyguard (this was a contingency covered in his orders). He charges it in the flank while it is pursuing the slingers. Half the slingers are caught and killed by the Consular forces, but the Gallic cavalry are then routed by Numerius for no loss.

On the far right, the horse archers continue to evade the pursuing Gallic cavalry and then charge them when their arrows are depleted. The Gauls are routed, without a single Senate loss. However, the pursuit has taken the horse archers out of position and it will not be until late afternoon that they return to the field, without arrows.

Left flank

On the left, Manius’s cavalry division advances on the Senate Light Cavalry Division. However, the distance is long and this gives the Appius time to join the Senate Heavy Cavalry division which countercharges Manius. The Consular Heavy Cavalry Division charges into the fray. The cavalry melee is brutal – the equites are effectively wiped out by the countercharge of the Senate heavy cavalry division, although a few survivors remain to guard the eagle. Manius’s son dies in the fight. But the numbers of the Consular cavalry eventually tell. Lucullus is killed and the Senate cavalry is eliminated as a battle force. Appius must ride for his life, with only a couple of bodyguards, back to the shelter of the triarii. Manius is left victorious, but all that remains of his cavalry are his own bodyguard (still at full strength, thanks to the addition of the survivors of his son’s Praetoria) and his non-Roman cavalry, which is at half strength.

The Consular Light Division and the Senate Right Light Division engage in a ranged duel, with no advantage to either side. However, the lone Consular Italian skirmisher tasked to follow the cavalry comes under withering fire in this duel and retires.

Consular feedback for Turn 3

You advance on the Senate Light Cavalry division. As you ride, you can see a great melee break out between the two rival Battle Divisions. You notice that the Senate Reserve Division is being brought up, but it seems to split up and divide into three directions – forward, left and right. But then you must turn your attention to your charge. You advance perilously close to the Senate Light Division. Thankfully, their attention is focussed on your Light Division. They drive off the Italian skirmishers you had tasked to accompany you, but your cavalry escapes the many slingers and javelinmen unscathed.

You lead your Command Division in a charge against the Senate Light Cavalry division, your own Reserve Cavalry Division coming up in support. The Senate heavy cavalry counter-charge. There is a vicious melee. You easily break the Senate light cavalry but their heavy cavalry is another matter. You see Appius himself hacking away at your men, while you are aghast at the prowess of the Senate mercenary Sarmatian cavalry. Your son’s Praetoria are overwhelmed and break, fighting to the death. The equites are mauled by the Sarmatians, until only a few brave souls remain guarding the eagle. But with your Reserve Cavalry Division charging up in support, you have numbers on your side and gradually the Senate horsemen fall. Soon only Appius remains with a few of his bodyguard. You catch the young man’s eyes: he salutes you, then tears off from the fight pursued by your vengeful Praetoria. He has a fine mount and manages to make it to the safety of unit of triarii before you can catch him.

Your men are tired, but victorious. But you – you are devastated; your adopted son lies dead and broken on the ground. You have lost your equites and your son’s Praetoria. You still have your own bodyguard at full strength (its losses being made up by the survivors of your son’s escort) but your Reserve Cavalry division (the Galatians and Italians) are at half-strength.

It is midday. You look around – there is dust and noise everywhere. The two Battle Divisions appear still to be locked in a melee. The Reserve Division appears to have turned the enemy’s flank but it also still tied down in bitter fighting. You have no contact with your Gallic light cavalry.

You must now give your orders. The only units you can freely move (ie are not locked in melee) are:
(1) Your Cavalry Division, which now includes your own escort
(2) Your Light Division

Senate Feedback for Turn 3

You commit your reserves. The two Thracians join the Second Battle Division (the hastati). The two Principes join the Battle Division on its right flank. The rest of the Reserve Division marches to the left flank. You yourself ride to join your Heavy Cavalry Division.

You order the Battle Division to straighten its line and charge the enemy Battle Division. You commit your Second Battle Division in support. You notice the Consular Reserve Division moving at the double on your right flank and the Consular cavalry advancing on your Light Cavalry Division.

You ready your Heavy Cavalry for a counter-charge. There is a vicious melee. Your Thracian light cavalry break easily. But your own charge does terrible damage to the Consular Command Division. You see Manius himself hacking away at your men. Lucullus’s Praetoria are overwhelmed and your tribune falls, fighting bravely. Eventually the superior numbers of enemy cavalry – the Galatians and the Italians – overwhelm your brave Sarmatians and Praetoria. You see Manius watching you intently – you salute him and then reign your horse hell for leather towards your lines. You have a fine mount and manage to make it to the safety of unit of triarii before your pursuers can catch you. Only two of your bodyguard make it back with you. Your two cavalry divisions are no more.

There you meet a flushed Numerius. He has destroyed a unit of Gallic cavalry that broke into the rear of your right flank, butchering many of your slingers. But the situation is critical. All along the front, fighting is bitter. Your Second Battle Division has been pressing ineffectually against the front line. There is no space for them to come into contact with the enemy and they cannot throw pila into such a confused melee.

On the right, the situation is desperate. The Consular Reserve Division has engulfed your principes, almost surrounding them completely. Your skirmishers on the right are providing some support and the principes still fight on but it is clear they will eventually be slaughtered to a man. There is no sign of your horse archers or any more enemy cavalry on the right.

On the left, your skirmishers have been engaging the enemy skirmishers in a largely inconclusive ranged duel. But now the enemy are joined by a victorious Manius, who leads a full escort and two half strength units of auxiliary heavy cavalry (Galatians and Italians).

You must now give orders. The only units you can contact that can freely move (ie are not locked in melee) are:
(1) the Second Battle Division
(2) the Reserve Division – made up of the skirmishers on the right and your two triarii, one of which is locked in melee.
(3) Numerius’s escort (you must also identify where you personally will stand, but your own Praetoria are no longer a combat unit)

econ21
12-08-2006, 23:28
Appius's Orders for Turn 4

Appius is terse and unnerved, but manages to get something out:

1. BATTLE LINE: Grind it out, I have no orders besides win every contest.

2. LIGHT INFANTRY: Run around the enemy right flank at distance and
commence firing on their massed ranks. Charge ang engage them from
behind when you are out of missiles or if you don't have a clear shot.

3. SECOND BATTLE DIVISION: Move to the right flank with all speed.
Hastati, discharge pilae into the swords and then cut them down.

4. RESERVES: Reorder yourselves quickly so that triarii are facing
Manius and his horse division, and light infantry are where the triarii
were. Light infantry should engage enemy infantry if necessary. Triarii,
screen Numerius. If you can, engage Manius and his cavalry, especially
if they charge the back of our line: attack before they can break off.

5. HORSE ARCHER DETACHMENT: lost but not forgotten! :-)

Tamur's plan for end turn 4:

https://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2662/tamurturn4kj8.th.jpg (https://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tamurturn4kj8.jpg)

Manius's Orders for Turn 4

*Note: Manius has been in combat, orders will be brief.

Manius's remaining cavalry: (Manius remains with them)

Charge and engage Cyrtian Javelins and Numerous! Italians: you take the Cyrtian's, myself and the Gallatian nobles will strike for Numerus himself.

If fight is won, we'll disengage and wheel out to the right (aiming for the right, rear Gallatian Slingers). Then, try to get past the rest of the rearguard skrimish units (hopefully will skirmish out of the way) and charge the rear of the engaged rightflank Princeps.

Always make use of pulling back and re-charging on a unit-by-unit basis.

Light Infantry/Skrimish group:

Italian Skirmishers - wheel to your right, engage enemy Italian skrimishers with ONE loose of Javelins then charge into Hand-to-Hand with them (potential overlap with Triarii - use your own judgement on that, its not their given target though). Guard Mode OFF.

Slingers - Concentrate fire on Triarii, if you run out of ammunition or cannot get a safe shot send the Gallatian slingers to charge into hand to hand with the Triarii, order both to engage ONE Triarii unit though.

Main Battle Division:

Keep fighting! Velites, move left more and see if you can javelin some of the Triarii. If you have exhausted your missiles charge to contact with the front most Triarii unit, slingers may join you in hand to hand in support.

General infantry: Try to push through the centre, there are Hastati behind the centre, engage if you can, and continue to roll up the left flank.

General Line Order - Guard Mode now OFF.

Reserve Infantry Division:

Keep fighting lads! Continue to roll up the right flank, once those Princeps are done send three units to engage the skirmishers. Cavalry support is on its way (hopefully).

Braden's Plan for Turn 4:

https://img106.imageshack.us/img106/8681/ancryaturn4ordersgw2.th.jpg (https://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancryaturn4ordersgw2.jpg)

econ21
12-08-2006, 23:56
Umpire notes on turn 4

The battle broke down into four conflicts:

https://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8488/ancryaturn4fightskl5.th.jpg (https://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancryaturn4fightskl5.jpg)

On the right flank of the Senate frontline

The Consular reserve division engulfed the Senate principes. However, they took significant casualties from the Senate skirmishers firing into their rear and were routed when the Senate Second Battle Division - comprising hastati and Thracians - came to reinforce the principes. The Consular forces routed off the field, but the Senate losses were extraordinarily high - at 60%.

On the centre of frontline

A simple one-on-one fight occurred between the Consular and Senate Battle Divisions. The Senate started with an edge because of the javelins of their Thracians and the preparatory fire of their Light division in late morning. The melee was long and bitter. Eventually, the Consular line began to crack - starting on their left with the Gauls, Galatians, Eastern mercenaries and Italian spearmen. The Roman forces at the centre fought hard but were eventually overpowered. As on the right, the Consular forces were routed off the field, but the Senate losses were extraordinarily high - at 60%.

On the left of the Senate frontline

Manius' maneouvre to turn the left flank of the Senate line was successful - thanks in no small part to the javelins of the supporting velites. Even the late arrival of a cohort of triarii from the Senate reserves could not turn the tide. The right flank of the Consular Battle division was victorious but suffered 40% casualties and, with the velites out of javelins, was left to square off with the survivors of the Senate battle division who had broken through the centre.

On the far left of the Senate line

Manius, his reserve cavalry and light divisions faced off against Numerius and a mixed force - nominally the Reserve division, but in fact a cohort of triarii and a large force of skirmishers. Manius used his cavalry aggressively, but were unable to effect a decisive blow as Numerius and the triarii worked together. The skirmishers on both sides suffered terrible losses - due to ranged fire, enemy cavalry and the javelin-armed troops engaging in melee. They were left ruined, ammunition depleted and an insignificant force on the battlefield.

Finally, the Senate horse archers returned to the field, after having eliminated the pursuing troop of Consular Gallic light cavalry. They had suffered no losses, but were out of ammunition - as indeed was every formation on the battlefield.

The situation at the mid-afternoon (after turn 4)

https://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8885/ancyraturn4pd9.th.jpg (https://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ancyraturn4pd9.jpg)

Consular feedback

Manius dismounts from his horse and falls to the ground in frustration. The situation is hopeless. He has lost. He cannot believe it. He succeeded in turning both flanks of his enemy and he has still lost!

Word has come from his Battle Division - while it succeeded in turning the enemy's left flank, the main body of the division has been utterly routed in centre of the battle. Worse still, the Reserve Division has been routed off the field. It was held up by the Senate principes long enough for the Senate Second Battle Division to come up and defeat it.

Manius's own exertions that on the right flank have come to nothing. Numerius kept close to the Senate triarii and so although Manius tried to bring him down, he was not able to succeed. There was a bloodly stalemate as men fell on equal numbers to missiles, cavalry charges and hand-to-hand infantry fighting with javelins, spears and even daggers.

Manius reviews his forces: the only significant battle formation that remains under his command is the right flank of his Battle Division, which successfully turned the enemy's left. But it is only a little over 300 men of undistinguished quality - Galatians, Gauls, Italians and velites with no ammunition. His light division is also out of ammunition and has virtually ceased to exist. Only 14 men of his cavalry remain, including his own Praetoria. He has heard no word of the Gallic light cavalry and can only assume they have been destroyed. In the distance, he can see a troop of light cavalry approach the field bearing the Senate flag.

Ranged against Manius's survivors are the great bulk of the Senate Battle and Second Battle Divisions. He can see they are terribly depleted - at less than half strength. But they still outnumber his own heavy infantry by more than two to one. Moreover, from his experiences this afternoon, he can see the Romans and Thracians that make up the bulk of the Senate army outmatch his own polygot survivors, man for man.

Manius has a choice - he can order his men to fight to the death, with no hope of victory. Or he can come to terms. Already one of Numerius's Praetoria is approaching his lines bearing a white flag of parley.

Senate feedback

Appius cannot believe it - he has won! A pale looking Numerius comes over to him and embraces his former tribune.

It was a close run thing. On the left, Manius's cavalry and skirmishers pressed hard against his weak flank. But Numerius and a lone cohort of triarii acted in close support, preventing disaster. Instead, a terrible stalemate resulted, leaving the skirmishers on both sides severely depleted and completely out of ammunition.

Worse yet, the Consular battle division turned Appius's left flank. Even the late arrival of a cohort of triarii was not enough to stem the breach.

So how did he win? Appius does not rightly know and suspects he owes it more to the fighting qualities of his men than any subtle tactics.

On the centre of the line, a bitter melee had raged but ultimately, it was the Thracians and other Senate forces that prevailed, utterly routing the bulk of Manius's Battle Division.

Even more decisively, the principes on the right held long enough for the Second Battle Division to come to their aid, routing Manius's Reserve Division off the field.

Now, Appius gathers his forces. Both his Battle Division and his Second Battle Division are at less than half strength. He has virtually no cavalry, although the Sarmatian horse archers have strolled back into camp - they have dispensed with their pursuers at no cost, except for all their arrows. Indeed, all the Senate troops have no ammunition - all pila, javelins and slingshot have been expended in the course of the day's fight.

But Appius can see Manius is in even a weaker position - his heavy infantry are outnumbered more than two to one by the Senate, and - as is clear from today - are evidently inferior in quality to the Romans and Thacians that make up most of Manius's survivors. Manius too has no significant force of cavalry, and his skirmishers are few and are not providing fire.

It is clear that if the battle continues, it can have only one outcome. But while Appius prepares to give his final orders, Numerius sends over Marcus, the Captain of his Praetoria, to seek Manius's surrender.

econ21
12-09-2006, 14:22
Open Private Mail to Braden and Tamur:

Hi Braden and Tamur,

As you will see from the battle of Ancrya thread, I think the outcome has effectively been decided by the end of turn 4. The Senate now has such an edge in numbers and quality, the situation for the Consular forces is hopeless.

I don't see any point writing detailed orders anymore. Numerius is asking Manius to come to terms and I think we should resolve that negotiation in character. If Manius refuses to surrender, I will just fight out the last battle as one big melee but it is clear to me how it will play out.

I know Braden will be disappointed and you may both be surprised at this result, but just to clarify how it was resolved.

1) I split up the battle into four discrete conflicts and fought each one twice, from each side. When I played a side, I tried to simulate the battle deployment and orders of it. The AI was less amenable, of course.

2) The sides were modded to reflect numbers and ammo levels (experience & upgrades were also reflected). Where forces were split, I reflected this by my deployment as human (and by using the device of fielding multiple AI armies).

3) I recorded outcomes and casualties for each pair of conflcts and averaged the result to get the final outcome.

The decisive conflicts were the central one and the Senate right flank. In both cases, if I controlled the Senate, it was a fairly easy victory (about 600 kills to 200 AI ones in each case). If I controlled the Consular forces, I won but with almost equal losses on each side (I got only 100 kills than the AI). Averaging these results, it was clear that the Senate had the edge, although would suffer terribly. I think the key factor was the large proportion of Gauls in the Consular armies - compared to the greater number of Romans and the fine Thracians in the Senate forces.

I've spent about 8 hours on these custom battles and on writing them up, so needless to say, I am not inclined to revisit them. I do think we have found a viable mechanism for resolving battles without using MP, although it is a particularly time consuming one!

cheers

Simon

econ21
12-09-2006, 14:36
Letter from Numerius to Manius, mid-afternoon on the battlefield at Ancrya:

Manius,

You and your men have fought bravely and with great skill. The many fallen on my side testify to that, as do my own fresh scars. But now it is time to end this. Your situation is hopeless. You are outnumbered more than two to one and I suspect my Thracians and Romans have a greater taste for more battle than do the auxiliaries who make up what is left of your army. Let us end this now.

I promised myself I would protect your son during this battle today, but I regret I have failed. It saddens me that you should have to suffer another such terrible loss, after all that you have suffered. But I wish now to offer you my personal protection.

Manius, we both a have destiny to fulfil. Mine lies in Rome and with matters of state; yours is a more personal quest. You have to find the man who has murdered family. We can both succeed in our appointed duties if we put aside our differences, and work together. I offer you this: step over to my side, join my army and I will take you to Rome, from whence you can follow wherever the trail to the murderer(s) leads. I swear by the life of my children, if the killer is within the ranks of the Senate loyalists, we true Romans will hunt him down with you and surrender him to you, for justice to be served. If you chose to fight on, I fear your men will be wiped out to a man and your family will never be avenged.

I do not ask that you betray your friend Servius. You do not have to fight for the Senate, although naturally we would welcome so talented a commander. I ask merely this - surrender what is left of your men and ride with me to Rome, as the friends we once were and can still be again.

I pray that the gods will guide you at this moment of decision,

Yours,

Numerius

econ21
12-10-2006, 01:26
A few snapshots of the battle

The cavalry

For much of the battle, the generals seemed to act as extremely well paid cavalrymen. At times these activities even resembled duels. But while these antics were colourful and glorious, they were ultimately irrelevant to the outcome of the battle.

https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4312/ancryat4iqp0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Manius gains the first advantage of the day when his cavalry smash the Thracian horse loyal to the Senate.

https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2092/ancryat4jvm9.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Appius gamely counter-charges the Consular cavalry. In the bitter melee, it is hard to tell friend from foe. But soon Appius finds himself surrounded by more of the latter than the former.

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4972/ancryat4hwz0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

The superior numbers of the Consular heavy cavalry tell in the end. Appius acknowledges defeat and puts his head down to ride like the wind away from the pursuit of Manius's victorious Praetoria.

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2369/ancryat4grj3.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

For a moment, Gallic light cavalry loyal to the Consul break into the rear of the Senate lines, running down their slingers. However, Numerius, acting on Appius's instructions, catches and destroys them.

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2208/ancryat4aai0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Manius seeks to use his cavalry divison to destroy Numerius, but the Senate triarii frustrate his plan

The infantry

The battle of Ancrya was decided not by generals or cavalry, but by the hard pounding of the heavy infantry on both sides.

https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6694/ancryat4esc4.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Although ostensibly, this is a Roman Civil War, the battle of Ancrya is fought mainly by Rome's subject people - such as the Galatians fighting for the Consul against the Cyrtians allied with the Senate.

https://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2547/ancryat4dki8.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Perhaps the single biggest factor in the Consular army's defeat is that a quarter of their men are drawn from Gallic warbands. They usually broke first and, in breaking, opened up gaps in the line that the Senate forces could exploit. Numerius swears he heard the ghost of Augustus Verginius cackling over the spectacle.

https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8463/ancryat4ftn5.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

In the centre of the battle, the Thracians must face the best of the Consular army. Their javelins and armour piercing Rhompaia help them prove themselves up to the job.

https://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8729/ancryat4bes5.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Future historians will not miss the irony that the Civil War is precipitated by the Consul's attacks on Thracian settlements and that its first battle is decided by Thracian mercenaries working for the Senate.