PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Character Aging

Chernabog
12-08-2006, 14:46
Hello all again.

After just reading the good news about the forthcoming patch and all its fixes, I note that the 2 years per turn is going to stay due to it 'severly affecting the game mechanics'.

I have been playing with 0.5 year per turn to match the character ageing process, bumping the start year to 1280 and modifying the events respectively, to allow for a long game (500 turns) but not insanely long. However with the above in mind I am thinking that this probably means that the campaign will get all a bit screwed at somepoint.

I dont mind playing at 2 years per turn as long as I can get my charcters to age at the same rate (this may seem strange to some but it bugs the hell out of me). I also know this means they wont last too long but I intend to mod in extra generals anyway and probably muck about with traites etc to make there short lives more worthwhile.

I know there has been some scripting done to allow 4 turns per year, so I had a look at some of the it but cant quite get my head around it yet :dizzy2:

So, the question is ... could a script be created that makes all characters age by 2 years for every 1 turn of the game?

Any suggestions/solutions greatly appreciated :yes:

Chernabog

Lusted
12-08-2006, 14:58
So, the question is ... could a script be created that makes all characters age by 2 years for every 1 turn of the game?

No. Characters are hardcoded to age 1 year every 2 turn, when the winter turn ends.

Chernabog
12-08-2006, 19:08
Hmm ... so every winter they age, independant of turns/years.

So could the code be fooled into thinking 2 winters had past within one turn I wonder?

Or is it that a season is in fact a turn ... getting myself confused now.

Gonna have to learn the scripts to see if I can work it out myself.

Thanks for the info though :beam:

Rothe
12-11-2006, 15:36
I suspect that the seasons are hardcoded to go: Summer-Winter-Summer-Winter.... regardless of how many turns per year there are.

Since the aging happens in winter, it is not possible to change the rate of aging to true 1 year aged/1 year played, other than by choosing 0.5 timescale. If I am wrong, please tell me what is the other option?

I mean, even if you would get 4 turns/year, would it still not result in aging 2 times per year (once per winter)?

Chernabog
12-12-2006, 22:10
I think that the 4tpy script made it be summer three times and winter once, hence they characters aged only once in 4 turns.

I have a feeling that you have to end turn on a winter season for the characters to age, so unless you make a script that means every turn is winter, you wont be able to get the characters to age correctly (this would also only help if it was set to 1tpy).

Annoying :thumbsdown:

I think someone is modding in different starting eras, as long as he/she uses the 0.5 time scale then that will do me :yes:

IRPhydeaux
12-12-2006, 22:21
Do we know if these starting eras will be selectable?

I mean, will it be just one mod shortened to a specific time scale and script or will the mod include several options for start period like MTWI.

Also, I'm someting of a noob modder. I just got my feet wet with the first medieval and didn't get the Rome as my old comp couldn't handle it.

Now I have a new comp and am looking forward to modding II.

Is the script easy to mod like the old campaign files & unit files?

Or something more complicated I might not be able to handle?

Anyone know where I could find a guide to modding the script?