PDA

View Full Version : AUSTRALIAN INFANTRYMAN- A short interactive

Warluster
12-09-2006, 02:39
I found this fun interactive a while ago, i reckon you will like it! Historical Note- Between 1914 and 1918 millions of soldiers, including 331,000 Australians, fought in World War One.
These soldiers regulary faced life-or-death decisions, what might you have decided if you were in these sort of Sitiuations?
http://www.opcw.org/basic_facts/images/bf_hist1.gif

It is 1914,Britain has declared war against Germany, for its invasion of Belgium, the Governmment has declared Australia at War,

Will you enlist? Yes-or-No?

CountArach
12-09-2006, 03:08
Yes... because we must do our part foor our country!

(Is this set at Gallipoli?)

Warluster
12-09-2006, 03:14
It is sortta set there...

Julian the apostate
12-11-2006, 06:17
you mean that we'll die there and our burials which will take longer then the disaster will be elsewhere. do i get the enlist in the navy option?

Comrade Alexeo
12-13-2006, 05:34
'bought time ANZAC got some love! :beam:

Why, of course I'll enlist - but I'll do it alongside with me mates, of course, so we can all fight together!

Gurkhal
12-16-2006, 12:35
No, no and no.

I will not enlist as I do not feel any urge to fight nor belive that this war is a necissery evil, merly an evil. If my nation really needs me I'll be called in whanever I like to or not.

Warluster
02-10-2007, 12:38
Well I tooka while but everyone, I am updating! Yay! uh Hum. The majority of Votes said to enlist. So that is chosen.

Chapter 1
Where to fight?

You sign up happily at the recruiting stations in Brisbane. Thousands of Soldiers along side you. The officers are grunts, and panic is everywhere. When you sign up, your told where your battilon is, and you head off. Eventaullly the HQ is found, and you go inside. There is about 800 troops, with 5 officers at front, pointing at a map. You sit down at the back, next to an tall plump guy. The offciers ramble on, you don't understand a word he is saying, and by the look on everyone else's face, either do they. You lean over to the guy next to you,
"Uh, I just wanna know, where we fighting?" said you,
"France, we're helping those gutless brits win this bloomin' war they got themselves into, and thye then start begging for us to help, i'd say bugger off" said the guy, he spat,
"Ma names Bruce, but ma mates call me Buck for short" said bruce (or buck) he seemed friendly enough. Everyone got up and filed out into the Brisbane air. When the officer apporached you,
"Good Day private. We have an shortage of NCO's and am wondering if you would like to go for the job of seargent?" said the officer,
"I'll think on it" you said, the offcier nodded and headed off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. You have a choice of friends. If you chose the private then it means you see some of the real combat. If you befriend the officer and become an NCO, then you command an squad (or more)

A) Befriend the private, lose popularity with the officers
B)Befriend the private, experince real combat
C)neither of them

CountArach
02-10-2007, 21:58
Pffft, I'm from Brisbane... That's it I'm not playing any more... :wink:

A) Befriend the Private, so I do not have my mate's lives in my hands!

Warluster
02-10-2007, 22:24
Chapter 2

You wake up the next morning, fresh as a daisy. The officer is waiting just outside the front door.
"Well?" he said, you shake yuor head.
"Sorry, but an NCO is not something I could handle" you say, the offcier looks infuriated, and storms off. You walk back over to Buck.
"Don't worry about him. He's British" said Buck, you look at him,
"So?' you say,
"Well that means he don'y care about us, cause we're just an dumping ground for there crap" Buck says, "lucky we ain't anymore, now they expect us to fight for them, and we do" said Buck, spitting out an fly. A whistle blows, and you and Buck race over to where the noise is coming from. There is an man in tight pants and boots standing there, with the an very tight shirt.
"5th battalion, form up!" he says,
"Did you have a problem with ya washing sir?" yelled out Buck, and an wave of laughter went through the surrounding area, the officer's head snapped to look at Buck,
"If hope your a good washer, because you'll be washing it soon" said the officer, with an faint smile on his face. You have already been through training, now it is to the front. You march up the ship and into the inner quaters. The bridge pulled off. And the ship chugged away, leaving brisbane, Queensland AUstralia behind. You were going to fight the Germans. Youy walk inside to find Buck on an bed, smoking, talking with this other guy, a short tweedy guy.
"Uh, hi" you say, the short guy looks over.
"Hi, looking forward to the fighting?' he says, Buck puffs out a bit more smoke, then looks at the kid,
"I'd rather be fighting the British" he says, the short kid looks offended and amazed.
"Hurt the mother nation? Hurt the people who formed this nation!? Hurt Mother britain!!?" he said, buck looked taken back, but before he could reply you speak up,
"Whats your name kid?" you say,
"Trevor, but my nicknames trev" says trevor, the boat keeps chugging away, and 4 weeks later you reach France and transported to the front at once, there is a steady thud of guns, the cannons keep the messages up. A crackle of rifle fire. You form up with your platoon, there is Buck, and trev. Then the seargent, who we call sarge. There's web, an strong fellow. Nicko and Baxter.
All friendly, you march forward, when the whistleing of shells is heard, you duck forward but keep marching. ALready the fire is going, and the line stops and fires. You see Buck firing furiously away, yelling
"Die ya hun!" he is yelling, trev has his short dagger out and cutting german soldiers. And the rest are behind, covering you. A big german fellow charges at you, you zip out of the way and stab him, then kick him. The germans keep coming, and you shoot 4 before you have to re-load,
"Pull back!" yells sarge, and Trev spirnts out of there, but Buck fires a few more shots, then leaves. you try to run. But the germans come charging in. Capturing you, yellign something. You see glimpes of Buck, and hear
"DIE YA HUNS!" and an grenade explodes, killing 3 germans, and you get otu of there grasp and shoot 3 dead, and pull out your pistiol, shooting another 3 dead. You get back to sarge and the group,
"Sorry for being late sir" you say,
"Righto, we can't get through there, we may have to go a diffrent way. We can go through there, and theres an 15 percent chance of us winning, we could around the trees, and might get ambushed, or through the trees, and run into an german group, what do ya say?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A) Go through where you just came from
B) Go around the trees
C) Go through the trees

CountArach
02-10-2007, 22:29
Well I think that if we go around we will at least be prepared for an ambush, so lets go with B.

Gurkhal
02-14-2007, 18:12
I think it would be better to go through the trees. That way we have more cover and are less likly to get into the aim of German rifles and machine guns. True we might go into another German group, but that's a risk one have to take.

CountArach
02-14-2007, 21:10
I think it would be better to go through the trees. That way we have more cover and are less likly to get into the aim of German rifles and machine guns. True we might go into another German group, but that's a risk one have to take.

The problem is that Ambush becomes incredibly likely, and we just can not face an ambush.

Gurkhal
02-14-2007, 21:35
I don't think that the prospect of an ambush is less just because we walk around in plain sight, only more likly we'll get attacked at range while Germans can still hid within the woods and ambush us. We have to take the chance of being attacked in some way or another. I do belive that the risks are the leasts within the trees, although it's right that there are considerbal risks.

CountArach
02-14-2007, 22:09
I don't think that the prospect of an ambush is less just because we walk around in plain sight, only more likly we'll get attacked at range while Germans can still hid within the woods and ambush us. We have to take the chance of being attacked in some way or another. I do belive that the risks are the leasts within the trees, although it's right that there are considerbal risks.

I would rather be shot at from a range. They are less likely to hit.

Also Warluster could we have some information on the size of our squad? I think that if our group is too small we will not be able to deal with any attack on us, in which case we should go the trees.

Caius
02-14-2007, 22:11
Can I play?

Gurkhal
02-14-2007, 23:52
Everyone can play, feel free to post. :yes:

I think our squads consists of six men, excluding our own guy.

Warluster
02-15-2007, 08:04
yes, you are right Gurkhal, there is 7 men including you.
Great to see this interactive picking up interest!

And Caisus, this is an Kraxis Style Interactive, choose your decisions!

Warluster
02-15-2007, 09:08
Chapter 3
"I'd say we go around the trees Sarge" said web,
"nah, if we go through the trees we can escape any huns from getting to close!" said buck, buck and web argued for several minutes, the rest of the squad deep in thought.
"Oh shut up will ya!" yelled trev, and sarge nodded his head. He waved his arm towards the trees,
"We're going that way" said sarge, he raised his hand for slience when web started protesting and buck cheering, sarge continued on,
"I want no arguments, we run an risk. But either way. We're gonna be shot at" finished sarge, and convinced look on his face. The area round them was quiet. the Germans had retreated to deal wit wounds and injuries to there battalion. When they heard distant yelling, Nicko looked around wildly.
"is that the huns!?" he said in a panic, he did not like situations when they couldn't see there enemy. No one liked that. Buck was stareing hard at something, and pointed.
"What the hell is he doing!?" he said in astonishment, there on the horizon of this French lands. Was someone running along, through the bombholes, he was about 50 metres away.
"OI! HURRY UP! THE HUNS WILL HEAR YA SOON!" screamed nicko,
"they'd probaly hear you before him Nicko! Baxter! bring in that poor flounder fool!" said sarge, issuing his order. baxter ran out, heading for the soldier. WHen there was a sharp intake of air, and an whistleing.
BOOM!
A bomb landed a few feet away from Baxter. throwing the ground and dirt up, baxter was lost from sight as the dirt cloud covered him. There was a few more in takes, and several more bombs landed. Ripping up the dirt. The ground shook as if giants were approaching, the noise was deafening. The ground heaved to and fro, the clouds of dirt drifted lazily across the bombing area. Distrubed only by more bombs dropping.
"Sir! baxter and that Fool will never get out of that bombardment!' yelled buck, web and nicko nodding. Sarge looked like he was yelling something, but they couldn't hear him. All of a sudden two outlines appeared inside the dirt clouds, and out of it came Baxter and following on, the soldier. They raced over to where the squad was and stopped sharply, breathing hard.
"Sorry sir, just a bit of trouble collecting the bait" said baxter, with an small smile. The soldier (Or Fool) snapped his hand to hi head and his boats together.
"Private Morgan Drako reporting in sir" said Morgan, Sarge waved his hand,
"None of tha nonsense Drak, don't need to worry with me" said sarge, with an wave of his hand.
"Uh, sir it's actually Morgan Drako" said Morgan, or Drak as sarge reffered to him as. the squad chickled, and sarge put a hand on Drak's shoulder,
"We Aussies call it an nickname Drak" said Sarge, and Drak understood.
"You'll have to tag along with us Drak" said buck, and Sarge nodded.
"Now back to what we were doing, we're going through the forest, got it?" everyone nodded, and web walked over to Drak and explained verything. Everyone drew there rifles again, prepared them and waited silently.
"Okay, lets move out!" said Sarge, the squad moved into the strech of forest, and the darkness of it enveloped them,
"Keep an eye out for those huns" whispered Nicko, Buck snorted,
"Well obviously, there the only ones who want to kill us" snorted Buck, and everyone laughed, but stopped suddenly.
There was no noise, everyone was quiet. No birds, no nature but the trees. The air was stuffy. Suddenly they were almost out of the forest. Baxter sighed,
"I am happy we got out of there, it was a real n-" there was the crackling of bullets, and an machine gun opening up from inside the forest. Thudding into Baxter who was at the back, Web raced forward and grabbed Baxter, and pulled him forward. Buck and Nicko returned fire, and Drak jsut grabbe dhis helmet and found cover. The squad followed them, german voices from with in the Forest. When it stopped, they had found shelter in a small cave, but they didn't know where the germans were, and baxter was seriously wounded.
"the Battalion will be here soon, don't worry" said Sarge, thats exactly what they were doing, worrying.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Decisions

1. baxter is wounded, and they subtracts your squad to 7 men, including Drak. the Battalion might not be here soon, and baxter rneeds attendance.
A)Tend to him your self
B) make his last moments good with a laugh
C)Surrender

2. The Germans could be anywhere, as theys stopped firing at once, they could be setting another ambush up to finish you off!
A) Say that you reckon that one of the squad should go out (Either Sarge, You, nicko, Drak, Web or buck)
B)Say we should post guards
C)Say to not worry

CountArach
02-15-2007, 09:19
1) B

I doubt we have the expertise to tend his wounds, and it is the good Aussie way to laugh at inappropriate times Also it may help boost squad morale if they see this well-liked man laughing at death.

2) B

We should hold position. Sarge tells us that the Battalion will be here soon. Also it sounds as if we may have some cover. If we do then staying put is a great idea.

Gurkhal
02-15-2007, 09:37
1. A

Can't hurt if we at least tries to save him.

2. B Let's post out guards and perhaps we can attempt to sneak out past them during the night or something?

Caius
02-16-2007, 01:37
1.B) make his last moments good with a laugh

2.A) Say that you reckon that one of the squad should go out (Either Sarge, You, nicko, Drak, Web or buck)

CountArach
02-16-2007, 06:12
1. A

Can't hurt if we at least tries to save him.

Well it could hurt our men's mmorale to hear him screaming and in pain. What is the point in using field surgery which presumably none of us are too capable of doing to a high level. If they hear him laughing, then it may empower our men. It also sounds as if he has been hit by machine gun fire multiple times.

However, if we have a person capable of healing his injuries, then by all means do so.

Warluster
02-16-2007, 08:58
There is no person that has said they can help Baxter, but Web and Drak have slight skills, as Web mentioned earlier that we went to Medical School for about 6 monthes.

Gurkhal
02-16-2007, 09:30
Even if none is truly qualified, I wouldn't let a comrade die without even trying. To just let someone I know die before my eyes and not even attempting to help him would be to much for me.

CountArach
02-16-2007, 10:46
Well we have no one who is confident that they are qualified. Let him laugh I say. Don't prolong his suffering.

Warluster
02-16-2007, 11:44
Chapter 4

"What of Baxter?' asked buck, Sarge shook his head,
"If anyone's a good doctor please say so" asked Sarge, no one spoke, but Drak.
"I sort of am"
"What do you mean 'sort of'?
"Well I studied at Doctors College, and nearly got an job in londo-"
"Okay, okay, we don't need to hear your whole bloudly Family Histroy, just try and save his life god damm it!" said Buck, there was an sharp crack, and the thud of boots against dirt, and then an squishing.
"What's that!?" whispered Nicko,
"How the hell am I supposed to know!?" whispered Buck furiously, and everyone chuckled. They heard German voices. Drak edged around the cave, looking out. h ewas looking, then drew in his head quickly.
" About an Battalion of Germans" said Drak, panic on his face. The Germans came into view, shouldering there rifles. They stopped. And arranged an circle, where they all sat down, some still standing. Our squad didn't breath, move or even blink.
Two figures slowly walked in front of the cave, and drew out an map from there pocket. One pointed somewhere, and the other looked with Binoculars. they were looking forest way. You look over there. There is an guy squatting down, and by the looks of it - going to the toliet.
Everyone looks away, even the German officers have to put an hand over there eyes. Thats when it happened. From around the corner, appeared something which changed your mind so quick. The rest of the Battalion.
One of the soldiers runs out from the group, coming from the forest, and points at the German battalion.
"Theres the Bloody Huns!" he said, an look of awe on his face which made everyone from your squad chuckle. There was a smart crack, and one German officer fell down, wounded. The Germans got up quickly, and returned fire. Soon the air was filled with smoke. The stones around them were chipped, bodies were all over the place. The Australian battalion lined up and fired at the germans. WHo were running everywhere like scared chickens. Some stopped, and dropped soon. Sooon there was enough germans left to capture, they soon gave up. the Battalion moves forward cautiously, then move forward faster when they see theres no ambush. They take 25 Germans prisoner. Drak ooks around, happy that we were free, you look around. ANd see Web,Buck, Sarge and nicko grouped around the body of Baxter.
"He's dead" whispered Web,tears fall dwon Drak's face. Sarge looks around and goes over to him, and whispers comforting words to Drak. Who silently sobs into Sarges shoulder. Web,Buck and Nicko just take it. There was worse to come. Buck stands up and wals out of the cave and swears.
"Bout bloudy time ya got here!" boomed Buck, and the battalion looked around in suprise. but theres faces split into an welcoing smile as they saw it was only Buck and us. Soon after, when everyone had sttled in, the officers held a meeting with all sargents, and assitants. Sarge was heading in, when he beckons over you.
"I've chosen you as an assitant, you've been acting as a leader lately" Sarge said with an wink.
"Me sir? I am honoured!" you stutter, but Sarge dismisses your words with an wave of his hand, but an pleased look on his face. You walk into an secluded area with Sarge, where eveeryone else is sitting in an assembly. the commanding Major of there battalion walked up to the Front. And faced the crowd of Sargents, he raised his hands.
"Good Day, leaders of your Platoons! The great british have ordered us forward. We are to attack an main german Front. As in there telegram they state this.
'4th Australian Battalion is to attack the german Villages spread across there frontal attack areas, or join up with 67th British battalion, which is resting nearby in moutains, ready to assist French Forces, either way, you attack the Germans, or die trying'" an burst of swearing and oathes broke out.
"Die trying!?"
"Fight ALL the german villages!?!?" this was muttered all over the place.
The assembly is dismiised, and everyone floods out, You are about to head back to Buck, when the Sarge stops you. And walks over to the officer. After a bit of talking, he comes back to you.
"I have been prmoted to Major Sargent, you private, i offer the position of Sargent" sadi Sarge, or now major sarge.
"Anyway, think over it and tell me what ya think, If you say yes, then tell me what way we should take on attacking the Germans, if no, do the same anyway" said Sarge major (Recently Sarge)

1. Sarge has offered the position of Sargent, as he is now an Sargent major(Sarge Major) shall you accept?
A)yes (If so please state why you say Yes)
B)no (If so please state why you say No)

2. There are two attack ways. Attack the scattered GErman Villages, or Join the British and help French Forces
A)Attack German Villages
B)Join the French

CountArach
02-16-2007, 20:49
Just a note, but we voted not to try to save his life... You did the same thing in part 2.

1) A - I think we are ready for it now, our men respect us as well.

2) B - One Battalion against a lot of German villages is not a good idea.

Warluster
02-16-2007, 22:26
When the German battalion came, it took the attention of everybody away, and when they re-focused on Baxter, he was dead.

Gurkhal
02-17-2007, 10:59
1. B

We did decline the last time to get into command. Seems a little rushed to do it now. And I am not really sure that they do already respect us. Maybe after a few more times.

2. B

Although we don't know how heavily defended these villages are, I do think that we should push our luck. Let's join up with our allies and move on from their.

CountArach
02-17-2007, 22:48
Alright,m I'll change my votes to:
1)A
2)B

Flavius Clemens
02-18-2007, 14:57
Warluster,
Lance-corperal is two ranks below Sargeant. If the sarge has been promoted it's either to Sargeant-Major or a field commission to Second Lieutenant.

Warluster
02-19-2007, 07:16
Sorry about that one, i'll change that now.

Warluster
02-23-2007, 11:13
Chapter 5

major Sarge stood there, lookign at you,
"Well?" he asked, you come back from thinking,
"What?'
"Do you want to be a Sarge?" asked Major Sarge, you shake your head,
"I couldn't put me mates lives into my hands Sarge, it would be too much" Major Sarge nods,
"But be prepared, I heard some Leutanits were impressed with you" said Major Sarge,
"Why?" you ask,
"Your fighting, leading skilll. You seem to make the right decisions" said Sarge, that obviouusly was a compliment. Major Sarge thumps you on the back, and in a whisper speaks to you,
"Better get back, 'bout time we put Baxter to rest" said major Sarge, a hint of a tear in his eye. You nod, and trudge through the mud, when you remember, what of where to attack? You spin around, to find Sarge already speaking to the Major. When you get back to where your platoon is, you find Buck,trev,Nicko,Web and Drak all standing around the body of Baxter (WHo was lying on the ground) with there hats and helmets held to there chests with there chests, tears were flowing freely from Draks eyes. Buck coughed violently and spat behind him, then got a shovel, and started to dig nearby. Soon the hole was quite large, large enough for a body anyway, and the Platoon lifted baxters body, walked slowly over to the hole, and gently put down the body. Nicko stood over Baxters body,
"Rest in peace Mate, rest in peace" the tears fell onto the ground, Buck shoveled the dirt onto baxters body, specks wiping over his face, until you couldn't see even a hint of an body there. The Platoon stomped off to find food and shelter, but Drak stayed there. looking at the spot where the grave was. You walk over to him, and pat him on the arm. Your starled to see Drak sobbing,
"Why!? What of those songs sung about war!? About glorious achievements!? About great heroes!? All i see now is death!" cried Drak, sobbing, you pat him on the arm again.
"Better slap those buggers who sung the song over the face" said buck from nearby, you withhold a laugh, and chuckle inwardsly. Soon there is the sounds of trumpets, and you see forming up nearby. The tents are packed, the fires are stowed, and the guns are drawn as you start the deadly march into the mountains. The troops slowly marched up the hills, the scnerary changing every now and hten, the mountains rising on either side of you, when Web comes over,
"With all this mountain cover, the huns could attack us easily" said Web, he was defintly right about that. You look around un easily,
"best not to think of that now" says Buck, Nicko nodding in agreement,Drak comes hobbling over,
"You guys! You guys!" says Drak, buck slaps him over the hed playfully,
"Wha'?" says Buck,
"With ol' sarge gone doesn't that mean someone is to become Sarge, and Lancy?' says Drak,
Well whos got the best leadership skills?" asks Nicko, everyone looks like there thinking except for Drak, who puffs out his chest importantly,
"I used to be a Lance Corporal" said Drak, looking around, everyone looks at you,
"Your probaly the best leader at the moment" says Buck, clapping you on the back,
"M-me? What have I ever done so great?" you stutter,
"You decided to go through the forest, and to hide in the cave' says Web,
"Well look what it led to"
"Yeah!" says Drak in agreement, nodding his violently in agreement, everyone seems to ignore him,
"Well then I reckon Web should be leader" says Nicko,
"Bugger off!" snaps buck,
"Then who is left?' wonders Web, Drak walk pruposefully in front of him,
"I've got experince" says Drak, then Web points into the air,
"I know!" Drak jumps in excitement,
"I say we choose Dra- Nicko!" says Web, a grin on his face, from the look on Draks face, buck chuckles. At that moment Major Sarge walks over,
"the Major just told me, either Drak or" Major Sarge points at you" you are to be Lance-Corporal, hurry up and decide" says major Sarge,
"but Sarge, i dont wanna be Lancy!" you complain, Major Sarge wags a finger,
"Too bad" After a while, everyone votes, and they decide you are to be lance Corporal.

To be continued...