PDA

View Full Version : Adding Provinces/Regions

Lord Condormanius
12-09-2006, 21:02
OK... It has come time to admit that I don't know what the hell I am doing.

:help:

Is there someone out there that is knowledgeable (and kind) enough to post a tutorial on adding new regions on M2TW. I've been trying different things, but none of them seem to work. :wall:

Merlin's Apprentice
12-10-2006, 15:44
what is the error msg you get at the end of the log

Merlin's Apprentice
12-10-2006, 16:05
Adding a new region called Avalon
I use a program called Irfanview to convert the map tga to BMP
using windows paint i pick a new color in the define custom colors
take note of the 3 values for red green and blue
they are needed for a txt file
after painting in the new province delete the map.rwm and use Irfanview to convert back to tga
next file is descr_regions.txt
here is where those 3 color values go(75 75 75)
Region name
city name
faction creator
rebel type
color
resources which include hidden ones
next 2 numbers not sure of, one is base farm value I believe
last is religion
example below

South_Wales
Avalon
england
Welsh_Rebels
75 75 75
coal, wool, atlantic, explorers_guild
religions { catholic 85 orthodox 0 islam 0 pagan 12 heretic 3 }

next file up is imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
region name
city name

example
{South_Wales}South Wales Region
{Avalon}Avalon

next file is descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt

example
South_Wales
Avalon

next file is descr_mercenaries.txt
here is where you add the province for mercs and such

example
pool England_Wales
regions London_Province Nottingham_Province York_Province Wales_Province South_Wales
unit merc cog, exp 0 cost 200 replenish 0.36 - 1.0 max 2 initial 1 religions { catholic } crusading
unit merc cog, exp 0 cost 1000 replenish 0.03 - 0.15 max 2 initial 1

next file is descr_strat.txt

example
settlement
{
level town
region South_Wales

year_founded 0
population 2200
plan_set default_set
faction_creator england
building
{
type core_building wooden_pallisade
}
}

now if you put everything in correctly you will have a new province

Lord Condormanius
12-10-2006, 17:49
what is the error msg you get at the end of the log

The error message said something about Palermo not being allowed to have a port. The problem is, I have done nothing to Palermo. I'm going to start from scratch and follow your guide that you put up. I'll let you know what happens.

Lord Condormanius
12-11-2006, 04:36
I followed this step by step and it works perfectly. Thank you very much.

...now how about adding units to the settlements? ;)

Nem Godslayer
12-11-2006, 23:12
You just need to put what units you want in the settlements in descr_strat, below is an example for a rebel settlement near byz empire, which are all listed at the end of descr_strat:

character sub_faction byzantium, Georgios Iasites, general, male, age 29, x 191, y 71
army
unit Byzantine Spearmen exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit Trebizond Archers exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit Byzantine Spearmen exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit Trebizond Archers exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

You just need the coordinates of the settlement by using show_cursorstat. Works the same for faction settlements, except you put that information in the factions area of desc_strat, and the difference being you don't use sub_faction, example below:

character Nero Corrigarius, general, male, age 36, x 147, y 90
traits GoodCommander 1 , NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , PublicFaith 2 , GoodAdministrator 1 , Intelligent 1
army
unit Pavise Crossbowmen exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit Mailed Knights exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit Italian Spear Militia exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit Italian Spear Militia exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Hope that helps
Nem

Lord Condormanius
12-11-2006, 23:23
Very helpful, Thank you. I just have a few further questions:

How do I choose names for rebel factions? Can I add Rebel family members? How about armies with only a captain?

Nem Godslayer
12-12-2006, 05:20
descr_rebel_factions has the list of rebel sub groups, just names and army builds. descr_regions ties what rebels to what regions.

Rebel Generals are just like Faction generals, except they have the sub_faction faction before their name. Faction captains are just like rebel generals except they do not have the sub_faction in front of them. Should be examples of everything already in descr_strat. El Cid is a rebel general in vanilla descr_strat.

There might be more, but as long as slave is an owning faction in EDU, the unit can be used by rebels.

Nem

Malachus
12-12-2006, 08:01
Do you guys have a guide from where to start if I want to add in an island province (Malta). I followed all of Merlin's instructions step by step, and I can't get it to work. I don't know if I'm not editing other files that I should be or if I'm placing the edited files in the wrong place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ezekiel6
12-13-2006, 22:28
Thanks for putting a how to up on adding a region. I have a couple of questions as I can't seem to get this to work. I have followed your example to the letter. The only difference is that I used Photoshop to edit the map as a .TGA instead of converting it to a .BMP. Firstly is the "map.tga" you mention the map_regions.tga? I just want to make sure I am editing the right map. Secondly the markers for settlement location and port location, will this cause a ctd if they are not put in or are put in a bad location on the map? I have followed your example and can't understand why I keep getting ctds when I try to start a grand campaign.

Cheers.

Lord Condormanius
12-13-2006, 22:37
If you're doing everything correctly, it is probably a type-o somewhere in the code. That is usually my problem. Check the log for any script errors. Those are usually helpful for pointing your to the problem.

ezekiel6
12-14-2006, 00:01
I'm stumped. It's not the spelling, I openend and checked all the files you edit. The log? is that in the logs folder? There's nothing in there. Would it have anything to do with the txt.strings.bin file? This might be a case of starting all over again.

Cheers.

Lord Condormanius
12-14-2006, 00:09
hmmm...yes. every time you alter the map, you have to delete map.rwm from the base folder and, depending on what else you have changed, some of those txt.strings.bin files that appear in the text folder. If you have only added a region or changed a name, you should delete imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin

DO NOT delete imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

Edit: the log is a text file in the main M2TW folder called "system.log.txt"

ezekiel6
12-14-2006, 00:49
Well, I created a new mod with MedMod going through the process again, this time a little slower, and only making one new province instead of two. Success! The only thing different apart from one less province is the way I handle editing the map, so I can only assume that was the problem. I'm going to go back to the original mod now and going to redo the map see if I can get it working. Cheers for your help.

Lord Condormanius
12-14-2006, 01:07
My problem at first was just that. I was doing too much at once. That way it is a lot easier to make simple little mistakes. Now I do 5 or so at a time, mapping out the x,y coordinates on the game map each time. It doesn't take as long if you start your gane up in windows mode.

ezekiel6
12-14-2006, 16:05
Hi, after starting again I have run into the same problem again. I ran through the edits I had made and removed all of them to take me back to the last time the game successfully loaded, but ctds still continue. So now I have scrapped that and started with the map location that is causing the problem. I am trying to add a location to the left of London on the UK map. Where Limes has successfully added Cornwall in the data text files post in the tutorials forum. It is this particular location that is causing ctds, though I don't know why. I added the report error function and got this in the logs folder
14:45:22.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in New_Regions/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
Couldn't find region name 'Dartmoor_Province' in stringtable. Any idea how I fix this as my spelling is correct in all the files that Dartmoor_Province needs to be added.
Cheers

ezekiel6
12-14-2006, 18:43
Ignore the last post that doesn't seem to be what the problem is. The problem is making new settlements that are next to water as far as I can make out. I tried it else where and get the same unspecified error ctd. Maybe after tommorrow it will become a whole lot easier.

Lord Condormanius
12-14-2006, 18:50
That shouldn't be a problem (making settlements next to water). Cities can border the ocean. I would look into the string error message. Check the files that list the province names. If you left out an underscore or anything, it will cause and error.

ezekiel6
12-14-2006, 21:03
You're right it shouldn't be a porblem. Anyway I did finally get the province up. 98% right. Sorry for repeatedly asking about this. Anyway I have got the province in and game loads fine. However as I said about the 98% the map calls the region Dartmoo and not Dartmoor. My spelling is right in all the files. I have opened the strings.bin file and it's called Dartmoo in there if I put the r in and save it then load a game it changes the file back to Dartmoo. I've also put one of those square break things at the end too and that has no effect. Can you help me out?

Lord Condormanius
12-14-2006, 21:12
You're right it shouldn't be a porblem. Anyway I did finally get the province up. 98% right. Sorry for repeatedly asking about this. Anyway I have got the province in and game loads fine. However as I said about the 98% the map calls the region Dartmoo and not Dartmoor. My spelling is right in all the files. I have opened the strings.bin file and it's called Dartmoo in there if I put the r in and save it then load a game it changes the file back to Dartmoo.

Yes. Change Dartmoo to Dartmoor in the file. The strings.bin and map.rwm file should be deleted every time you make a change that will appear differently on the map. You should not make changes in the strings.bin file. This file is generated by the game every time it loads and is based on the other files. If you delete these files after you make changes and before loading the game, you should be fine.

I've also put one of those square break things at the end too and that has no effect.

I don't know what you mean by this.

redmark
12-15-2006, 22:49
Not sure about the .bin file, but when you add cities to the text file, you have to enter a carriage return at the end of the file - the game "assumes" the last character of the file will be a carriage return; if it isn't, it ignores the last letter of the last name in the file.

ezekiel6
12-16-2006, 21:14
Yeah that's what is happening. When I add a new province the missing letter for the previous new province is fixed. I'll go through the files and fix it just now. Cheers.

Messias3000
12-19-2006, 15:26
I guess i should start out saying hi as this is my first post.

Im having a major problem following the howto: it seems my version of the game doesnt include the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt -file. Ive searched for it nothing comes up, except for the string-file almost named the same. I tried to follow the howto just ignoring that the file is missing, it doesnt work, the game crashes.
Ive also tried to use the unpacker, to see if the file would show up, it doesnt. The game runs fine, ive bought it (its not some illegal crackversion), but for some reason it wont run from the dvd, i have to crack the .exe.

Reinstalling the game isnt to any help either.

Its the nordic version, which I guess is the standart english version with a different introduction to the booklet.

Can anyone explain and help me add provinces?