PDA

View Full Version : Lands to Conquer v1.1 released!

Lusted
12-10-2006, 00:28
Download links(slight update to .exe since i first posted the links, i fixed description errors and added in start menu shortcut and uninstaller):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FY0KSWAP
http://www.bigupload.com/d=ADE88108

To install the mod simply point the installed to your Medieval II Total War installation, which by default is installed to:

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War

Once installed you should use the new Lands to Conquer desktop shortcut to run the game.

The changes Lands to Conquer 1.1 makes to Medieval II Total War are listed below:
-Inquisitor power and numbers reduced
-cannon elephants removed from the campaign
-date of Mongol and Timurid invasions now varies more, there is a larger period of time over which both could happen
-Dismounted Broken Lances, Mongol Dismounted Archers, Mongol and Timurid Dismounted Heavy Archers, Mongol Dismounted Light Lancers, Mongol and Timurid Heavy Lancers now available in the campaign
-new loading screens and splash screen
-cavalry charges fixed by increasing the charge distance
-increased cost of musketeers

-all factions playable in campaign
-new victory conditions for all factions
-improved campaign ai courtesy of Shaba Wangy
-Merchants now make more money
-Assassins are now more powerful
-1 year per turn in campaign, with year shown and building construction times changed to reflect this
-starting money tweaked for all factions, and kings purse increased for all factions
-agent and fleet movement increased
-English Armoured Sergeants, HRE Dismounted Gothic Knights, and Venetian Dismounted Broken Lances now available in the campaign
-ai unit recruitment priorities tweaked for some factions
-increased cost of all cavalry units by 200 florins to balance things out, and increased upkeep for elite cavalry units.
-increased cost of artillery in campaign a lot to stop ai from building lots of it
-fix for units with 2 handed bug, they now fight in melee and against cavalry
-rebalancing of stats in line with this
-Byzantine Infantry, Varangian Guard and Kataphraktoi made more powerful to make the Byzantines better
-Crusader units available in custom battle for catholic factions
-billmen made more powerful
-artillery have longer range
-units armed with longbow have longer range and slightly increased damage
-Venetian Archer And Venetian Heavy Infantry armour upgrade fix(in vanilla M2Tw the armour upgrades are the wrong way round, i've fixed it)

Darkmoor_Dragon
12-10-2006, 00:49
links dont work for me old chap :help:

Lusted
12-10-2006, 00:57
I just tried them and they work fine.

Kraxis
12-10-2006, 01:05
Hahaha... I just misunderstood the title...

I thought it was "Yarrrr!!! LANDS TO CONQUER! v1.1 has just been released"
Meaning the patch was out.

Anyway, a fair deal of changes there.

Jediknight73
12-10-2006, 01:06
Lusted You should know all about posting in the right forum's... This isnt Mod forum.

Lusted
12-10-2006, 01:07
i can't work out where to post it in the M2Tw mod forums as there is no equivalent of the forge in it, so im posting it here, then a mod will move it to the appropriate place.

TheFluff
12-10-2006, 01:46
Seems ok, but i dont understand some of the changes like Venetian Dismounted Broken Lances and longer arty range for instance.

Lusted
12-10-2006, 02:21
Well i added in venetian Dismounted Lances as it seemd a bit silly for them to in custom battle and not the campaign.

and havingsome artillery like ballistas only able to fire as far as a bow also seems silly, it should be able to fire much faster.

Grimmy
12-10-2006, 02:55
I often wonder, how many of CA's loyal product purchasers, like me, buy their games with y'alls mods in mind?

I enjoy the "plain vanila" games well enough but it is y'all modders that really keep me coming back to this franchise's product.

So, for all the missed sleep, the skipped showers as I run out the door (late again), sore arse from sitting and playing too long at a time and all the other side effects associated with obsessive gaming, Thanks.

Barry Fitzgerald
12-10-2006, 02:59
Lol...interesting the mod come out before the official patch!

maybe you guys should send CA the bill? ;-) lol

RZST
12-10-2006, 03:01
can you post a separate file for the...
>-1 year per turn in campaign, with year shown and building construction times changed to reflect this
>-fix for units with 2 handed bug, they now fight in melee and against cavalry

alternatively, can you uh, tell me how to do make the said changes?

pevergreen
12-10-2006, 13:26
can you post a separate file for the...
>-1 year per turn in campaign, with year shown and building construction times changed to reflect this
>-fix for units with 2 handed bug, they now fight in melee and against cavalry

alternatively, can you uh, tell me how to do make the said changes?

Look in the Citadel for the change of turn pace, many topics on it.

The two handed bug is an animation removal. So unless its still in the game, that would require lots of coding and animating.
Remedey? Wait for the patch. That should fix it.

Darkmoor_Dragon
12-10-2006, 19:47
Had a play about with this - promising post-patch when the major AI issues are resolved.

Lusted: Do you (we) have any indication as to how the AI reacts to having new "target provinces" put into their victory requirements? Does the AI actually make any attempt to obtain them, and do we know if placing too many province requirements causes the AI problems?

Lusted
12-10-2006, 20:02
Lusted: Do you (we) have any indication as to how the AI reacts to having new "target provinces" put into their victory requirements? Does the AI actually make any attempt to obtain them, and do we know if placing too many province requirements causes the AI problems?

Yes it does try to go for them, i do not know if it causes the ai any problems or not.

Darkmoor_Dragon
12-10-2006, 20:21
Are there any other conditions that can be required other than province capture and faction elimination?

Lusted
12-10-2006, 21:28
They are the only ones.

Ars Moriendi
12-11-2006, 08:23
Great work with this mod, Lusted. I've installed and played some 30+turns - no problems yet.
One question though : are there any other modifications in descr_strat aside from the increased starting money ?

I'm asking this because I'd like to keep the rest of the mod but revert descr_strat to the original file - too much money ruins a big part of the strategic game for me.

Lusted
12-11-2006, 12:16
I've set the game to timescale 1.00 and removed the show_date_as_turns line from it.

KARTLOS
12-11-2006, 12:43
could you explain in a little detail why you gave the varangian guard such a high attack stat?

Derfel von Saljeth
12-11-2006, 13:18
Lusted would you put a landbridge from england->france in next update?
I've always noticed england is a too safe place , cuz ai don't assault it by sea...
And once, in one of my campaign, scots conquered all england but didn't expand more going to france.

I think a landlink would fix it :)

Lusted
12-11-2006, 13:23
could you explain in a little detail why you gave the varangian guard such a high attack stat?

Because they havea slow attack animation, so even though they have such high stats they are equal/lose slightly against JHI. Stats in M2Tw are very misleading, the attack spped of animations seems much more important that actual stats.

Wingman
12-12-2006, 01:14
Great work on the mod. It's really enjoyable. One thing that I'd like to change though is the 1 year a turn thing. I like playing with two years per turn. Is there an easy way to change the game back to being two years per turn as well as restore the previous construction times?

NagatsukaShumi
12-12-2006, 02:50
Moved to the appropriate forum :2thumbsup:

Ars Moriendi
12-12-2006, 08:00
Is there an easy way to change the game back to being two years per turn as well as restore the previous construction times?

In descr_strat.txt change the 1.00 to 2.00 in the following line :

timescale 1.00

Take a look at this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-71564.html) for more details.

The buildings construction time are in the export_descr_buildings.txt file, probably the line that says

construction ###

is the time required (where ### is the number of turns)

You'll have to do a lot of find-and-replace, though..

Monarch
12-12-2006, 19:35
Stats in M2Tw are very misleading,.

Yup, you have to physically test things on the battlefield other than just digest the stats.

JR-
12-13-2006, 13:13
Hi Lusted,

The main draw of your mod, over and above all the useful tweaks and fixes, is the change to one year per turn from two.

reading this thread:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71564

I am curious what other changes you have made to ensure that the flow of the game is not drastically altered from its semi-historical basis and game balance generally?

eg. have you increased build times?
have you slowed population growth?
etc

regards

Peegee Tips

Lusted
12-13-2006, 13:19
Yes i have increased building construction times. 1.2 will feature tweaks to population growth, and increased popluation requirements for each level of settlement.

JR-
12-13-2006, 13:41
excellent thanks.

so the timeline and game development should play 'normally', just over a longer period?

Lusted
12-13-2006, 13:44
Yup basically.

JR-
12-13-2006, 14:02
cheers, can't wait. :)

what about movement rates on the campaign map?
do we effectively move twice, and is it considered a problem even if we do?

Basilakes En Strategoisin
12-13-2006, 20:08
-all factions playable in campaign
-new victory conditions for all factions

Hi Lusted! Thanks for your efforts, I haven't been able to play mtwII just yet but will be glad to have a fix available for the two-hander bug. Couldn't live without Varangians. :2thumbsup:

I got one question though. So Mongols and Timurids are both playable. I assume this means they will be present at the start of the game with a couple of units and some territory, right? And even if you're not playing them? Is there any easy way for me to somehow change this part back to vanilla, so that they first appear with the invasion stacks (like, are all the changes in one file or something, I'm not a modder but I can use copy&paste...). I like most other changes but it would somehow ruin it for me to have mongols and timurids running around in 1080 :inquisitive:

Anyway, would you/ have you already / are you considering publishing your fix for the 2-hander troops for all to use in their mods, since CA's patch apparently won't touch the issue?

Thanks again.

Lusted
12-14-2006, 00:26
No the Mongols, Aztecs and Timurids are not playable, i sohuyld have made that part of the readme say: all playable factions unlocked

Anyway, would you/ have you already / are you considering publishing your fix for the 2-hander troops for all to use in their mods, since CA's patch apparently won't touch the issue?

Yes i will be releasing one once the patch is out.

Ars Moriendi
12-14-2006, 00:27
Varangian Guard still doesn't work against cavalry.

I'm playing a Byzantine campaign with Lands to Conquer ver.1.0 (1.1 wasn't out yet when I started). It took me some time to notice something's still wrong because the VG come quite late in the campaign and I mostly ignored their poor performance on the battlefield at first - I thought it was just some unlucky circumstance or some detail I missed in the confusion and general mess of the battles. Then one particularly disturbing event occured, while I was watching closely : I had the VG attack the flank of an engaged bodyguard unit expecting if not decimation then at least some casualties. There were exactly ZERO. The bodyguard unit then disengaged and walked right through the varangians without taking any damage, while the VG dropped from 90 to 70.

So I decided to do some clean tests : custom battle, flat terrain, 1 vs. 1 units, no upgrades.

I first tested the VG against infantry - with the danes since that's what I was up against in the campaign. They performed as expected : they won against sword units every time they charged. They also won most of the battles they didn't charged (i just walked them past the enemy and they engaged without charge). The VG started to run into troubles with the huscarls but they still won more often than not (when they got the charge right).

I then tested them against cavalry, with the weakest unit I could think of at the moment : scottish border horse. I just kept the cav. standing still, not wanting to take advantage of their charge bonus and let the AI led the VG to attack. The cavalry dropped from 60 to 40 almost instantly after impact, but then they stopped taking casualties.
The VG started to die quickly after that, and the battle ended with the VG routing with 4 men left, while the border horse unit was still at 37.

I run 7-8 more identical battles with pretty much the same results : the border horse won with 35-37 men left, with only 3-5 of them dying in the actual melee and the other 20 when the VG charged. The problem's definitely with the animation : after the charge the VG just stand there doing nothing while the cav. chops their heads off. They must be swingin their axes from time to time since they manage to kill 3-4 horsemen, but not nearly as often as they should.

Any ideas why this happens or how to fix it ?

PS:
I've also tested the DEKs, norse axemen and heavy billmen but only 2 battles each. DEK and billmen appear to be almost ok, as they won, but their losses seemed too large against such a weak cavalry unit (70, resp. 50 men remaining at rout). The norse axemen acted exactly like the VG, ie. they lost with the border horse taking 20+4 casualties.
The DEK and billmen animations appear to have a slightly different issue : they don't just stand there, they keep running. They don't go anywhere, as they run into the horses, but they don't fight much either - many of them just keep pedaling.

Lusted
12-14-2006, 00:47
Bugger, that means there are no unbugged units with 2 handed axe animations, and Varangian guard units look quite wierd with other animations.

Ars Moriendi
12-14-2006, 09:06
Some update on the two-handed units tests.

First , some screenshots with the typical VG vs. border horse fight :

The VG charging, horsemen stand still :

https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/852/vgtest01df5.th.jpg (https://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vgtest01df5.jpg)

The cav dies in droves (~20) but the charge ended and the VG start taking hits :

https://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4161/vgtest02co9.th.jpg (https://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vgtest02co9.jpg)

The obviously wrong end result :

https://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6462/vgtest03dl5.th.jpg (https://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vgtest03dl5.jpg)

--------

I ran some other tests with the heavy billmen vs. the cuman horse archers (the most inept in melee cav unit I could find, 6att/3def/2charge). The billmen won, although with heavier losses than they should (about 45-50 men remaining on avg). The problem seems to be deeper than just the animation cycle : if you look closely you'll see 1-3 billmen with their heads pressed against the chest of a horse, trying to run through them as if they weren't there. It looks quite ridiculous. Maybe some problem with a conflict between army/unit level AI (telling them "go there") and the individual soldier AI (which should be saying "start swinging the damn weapons already").
What's even worse, I ran 5 fights when I ordered the cumans to charge - they won 3 out of 5 tests, and the 2 occasions when the billmen won they only had 10-15 men left. I know that there's people on this forum ready to argue that this is what should really happen, but I don't think that this should be the result of an encounter between a heavy infantry unit wearing plate and wielding pole weapons and the lightest missile cav in the game.

I also ran another 5 battle tests, this time with the battle diff set to VH (all other test were on medium). This time the billmen seemed to do a little better - they won 4/5, with lower casualty rates (~35 men avg. remaining). I hope this doesn't mean that there are combat bonuses on higher difficulties, since in no way could this be attributed to "better AI" in an 1-on-1 plain frontal charge.

This game is definitely broken - then maybe I just haven't run enough tests, although I think the trend here is quite clear...

Ars Moriendi
12-14-2006, 09:21
I have now changed the VG animation to norse_swordsmen and their stats to the original ones. They now appear to be working properly against both inf and cav. They look weird indeed, with their stabbing attacks and one-handed axe wielding, but not that weird (it's not like they're shooting arrows or anything) - and definitely not weirder than them just standing there doing nothing but getting slaughtered. Anyway, who has the time to actually watch the fights zoomed in a real campaign battle ? not me, I usually stay at helicopter height :). I'd much rather have the units do their thing right than look pretty and move as in real life.

They seem a little too powerful now (they won too easily on the huscarls and norse axemen), but I think I'll just increase their cost rather than try to rebalance the whole unit roster. I just wanted to finish my Byz campaign, as I've already quit the english one (right before the climax) when I realized the billmen and DEK were broken. If I quit this one too, my M2TW experience will start to look more and more like a series on prematurely interrupted sexual acts (coitus interruptus for the latin speakers out there:))

I think I'll put the game on ice after this campaign until a real fix is released for this bug (hopefully in february...)

KARTLOS
12-14-2006, 14:23
Because they havea slow attack animation, so even though they have such high stats they are equal/lose slightly against JHI. Stats in M2Tw are very misleading, the attack spped of animations seems much more important that actual stats.

so did you keep their original aniamtion or have you changed that too?

Lusted
12-14-2006, 15:14
For which unit? i've had to change it for the units with the 2 handed bug, and only those units.

JFC
12-14-2006, 17:33
Hiya Lusted,

Will this Mod work with the New Patch?

PS EMPTY your PM box!! :laugh4:

Lusted
12-15-2006, 12:15
It should yes, as it installs to a seperate folder, but i will be releasing 1.2 not long after the first patch is out.

PS EMPTY your PM box!!

Doiine, im just used to having my mega pm box at TWC(10000 messages if your an admin).