PDA

View Full Version : change building/army build time?

RZST
12-10-2006, 17:19
after changing the timescale to .05 i find that the buiding-armytraining timescale doesnt adjust to the modded timescale.

anyone know how to edit this? and what would be a good edit?
ie: training peasants take twice the turn? building roads take 2 turns?

zandor
12-12-2006, 04:20
You can adjust the building build times by changing the export_descr_buildings.txt file and the unit build times by altering export_descr_unit.

Did you really set it to .05? That'd make a year take 20 turns. Or did you just mean .5 like I and many other have been using?

You might also want to think about adjusting the costs of various buildings and units. Anything other than just multiplying everything by 4 will take some rebalancing though and it could be tricky to get a game that plays well out of it.
The reason of course is that you get income every turn, and if everything takes 4x as long to build everyone will just have piles of cash lying around.

Doing build time adjustments properly would really require making widely varying build times. Knights & longbows might take 2 years, while peasants and perhaps militia really ought to be ready in one turn.

There's also a "slow mod" you might want to look into. It reduces population growth rates. There's more about it in this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74099

RZST
12-12-2006, 05:38
yeah =P i meant to type .5

oh and thx for the link, but um, according to the author building turns cannot be modded yet =(

bummer

Bob the Insane
12-12-2006, 16:52
They can be done and I have already done pretty much what you are trying to do using the mod switching feature and the unpacked files available on this forum.

I basically set timescale to 0.5, inceased the building build time by x4 and lowered the farming output of regions by a factor of 4 (based on the region chainges in Wonderlands SloMod). I did not alter the unit build times.

I am on my first play through test at the moment using Medium campaign difficulty and switching the FOW off to see how it affected game play.

I have assumed that things should be similar to the default balance and gameplay and so far it is. Though there are some differences. There is a little more avaiable money as there is so long to save up between build projects. But due to the slow population growth income in not rediculous. In fact it is difficult to get any population growth with very high taxes and no farms. There is a lot more time to build troops and moving them around and the AI seems to really take advantage of this. A nice effect for the French is the slowdown in build time seems to have prevented them building loads of Siege engines so I am (playing the English) facing french armies that are basically half cavalry and half spearmen...

I have played 50 turns (25 year) and no faction is wiped out yet though the HRE are suffering and Portugal is hammering in the nails for Spain's coffin. I have been forced into vassalage to the French by the Fanco-Danish-Portugese alliance. It was quite impressive, the French besieged all my continental holdings in one turn (except the one besiged by the Danes) and asked me to accept vassalage. The large rebels stacks in the UK and the weakened state of my military has basically forced me to conceed the point...

Anyway, like I said, this is the first play through...