PDA

View Full Version : hallo

Noir
12-11-2006, 06:31
Hi guys,

i just wanted to congratulate you for the work that you've put in this mod and also to let you know that the link for the beta has a certain problem currently; it won't allow download due to capacity problems of the host, apparently. That's in case you haven't noticed.

By the way i am the same "excetchzebe" of the .com, Puzz might remember me. :bow:

Again congrats for your mod - Shogun remains my favorite TW game in terms of atmosphere, map, setting and unit balance despite the superior MTW engine.
No matter how much i wanted to enjoy RTW through various mods (RTR, EB and others) and despite the fact that mods fixed the campaign they've never managed to reproduce the sheer enjoyment that was present in the battles of the previous games due to the engine; battles were always a fast and furius affair in Rome (and its mods) in comparison, with much less tactics and sense of balance with respect to to the previous games no matter how much one meddled with the stats, base moral and movement modifiers.

Your mod is entirely spot on for what TW could have been ie a complex, dynamic, strategy game for the pc - a true classic, something of a modern pc chess for the RTS generation. Instead it turned out a bit more like a polygonal war monopoly (as in monopoly the tabletop game) imo, but well that's life : )

All the best from me

Puzz3D
12-11-2006, 14:34
The host for the mizus.com site has mistakenly set the limit on the monthly bandwidth too low. Tosa is trying to get this corrected.

Thanks excetchzebe1 for the comments on the STWmod. Once the beta8 is released, it will be even better. It's barocca's mod, and he has done a tremendous amount of work on it. He asked me to work on the unit stats for playbalance. I got a group of STW vets together and we worked on the stats a year ago. R'as picked up further development of the campaign this past year, and I've been helping with that. It lead to a revival of multiplayer on Sundays when Tomi moved his STW CWC tournament over to using STWmod. Given the additional multiplayer feedback that generated, we have been able to refine the playbalance further.

That's a good observation that the battlefield gameplay is chesslike. It is in the sense that you have to think in terms of using the 16 units individually but coordinating them as a whole. Of course, you have the addition of team play which chess doesn't have. It's a wargame in the sense that you have to use combined arms, and there are 3 combined arms systems operating simultaneously. Credit goes to LongJohn and his original STW unit stats because they were the basis used for developing the STWmod stats.

Noir
12-11-2006, 20:38
It's great to hear that a .8 version is being prepeared!

keep it up!

I've seen the old thread where barocca is gradually presenting his work and it is excellent!

I never played multiplayer myself although to be honest ever since i@ve found out about your mod i would be very interested.

I will post here again or pm you as this time of the year is extremely busy for me to get into such new interesting depths.

Again all the est till next time.