PDA

View Full Version : Some general M2TW Modding inquiries

Julius_Nepos
12-11-2006, 08:40
So, I'm looking to modify M2TW myself (as usual), since the currently existing mods that I'm interested in change a lot more about the game then I'd like. With the current absence of a BugFixer type addition, or the patch/unpacker I'm feeling a bit more motivated to change things on my own time, like I used to do in the days of MTW1. That said here are some of the things I'd like to do.

A) Eliminate or heavily modify Inquisitors. These guys are simply pointless In my opinion. They kill my princesses, faction leaders, heirs, assassins, spies, diplomats, basically anyone and everyone they can get their hands on they kill with a near 100% chance of success. Not only are they ahistorical they are so powerful that there appears to be little to no resistance to them. I need to figure out how to remedy this situation.

B) Change region names to reflect history more accurately. For instance Florence is in Tuscany, Nicosia is in Cyprus, Sofia is in Bulgaria. I can understand simplifying the region/name situation so as to make things more understandable, but I'd feel better if the situation better reflected reality. I've seen a post on this subject, but I'm not sure if that's the definitive answer on this subject or not.

C) Find some way to remedy Papal and Byzantine naming conventions. What I thought was a bug at first, turns out to be the game simply following its programming. Faction names are pulled from a common list, and thus Popes pull names from the same list that provides titles for Papal Generals. This leads to an (in my opinion) undesirable situation in which you end up with Popes named Abbate or Orsellus, when they should be known as Nicholas or John. The Byzantine Empire suffers from a similar malady. I'm not sure if this can be fixed at all but it's a problem I'd like to deal with. The names of faction leaders do not always match up with the names of their subordinates.

D) Modify Faction names to better reflect Historical conditions of the time. That is change the Moors faction to the Almoravides, or change The Turks faction to the Sultanate of Iconium/Seljuks of Rum. This change shouldn't be too difficult but I'm really not aware of what needs to be changed.

E) Find a way to change VnV's for Generals so that keeping them within cities does not cause them to become useless super morons. By going through the text files recently made available I can see that acquiring negative traits is about a million times easier then their positive counter parts. In fact by the looks of it some positive traits are so difficult to get as to be practically useless. One solution seems to be to keep Generals always out of settlements, but by doing that they never gain any positive traits either. Again I'm not sure how VnV's work, back in RTW's day I simply downloaded a VnV fixer but I'd rather just do it myself really.

Anyway I just need some guidance in where to look, and what to do to fix these things on my own, other things, like modifying rebel spawns, or starting florins isn't a problem so no need to bring that up here. Thanks ahead of time guys! Cheers!