PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings?

Viscious_Fish
12-12-2006, 04:09
I was wondering if anybody was interested in creating a LOTR mod for M2?
I know there is one for Rome, but does anyone know if a mod for M2 has been started?

If it has, can someone direct me to more info?

If it hasnt, anyone who can help through reasearch, skinning, photoshop, ideas, and other general areas is welcome to help create a new mod. I know that there are not enough people who can skin and mod properly to go around, but any help is appreciated

I just am learning how to mod myself, but I am willing to help organize and research for this mod, if it actually gets started.

NagatsukaShumi
12-12-2006, 13:10
Your best bet would be to contact the current METW team for RTW and see if they are up for converting to MTWII.

Viscious_Fish
12-12-2006, 21:27
OK I'll try that

Thanks

NagatsukaShumi
12-12-2006, 23:57
OK I'll try that

Thanks

If this fails, I dare say you'd be able to drum up support for a LOTR mod, its a popular brand after all. Good luck.

Viscious_Fish
12-13-2006, 22:18
Your best bet would be to contact the current METW team for RTW and see if they are up for converting to MTWII.

It looks like that is not going to happen, so I am looking for help with this mod. I need as many people in the following areas as possible:

Skinning
Reasearch and development
Mapping
Coders

I am not a skilled modder myself, so I am also looking for someone more experienced than I to lead the actual modding. I would like to step into more of a management/visionary position if possible. Anyone who is willing to join should PM me or leave a message on this thread and I will contact you.

For the actual mod I was thinking of a new approach to LOTR modding, with all cultures and units based on Tolkien's writings, but with no specific timeframe as related to the written works. Therefore any culture from the books is open to being added, without limitations on who was around at what time.

I will try to post a faction list later, when I actually think about which factions are to be in this mod. If you have any suggestions on this subject, you can post those on this thread.

Lastly I think it would be really cool to add all sorts of animals into this mod.
I have heard rumors that creating flying units is possible, so dragons as rebels would be cool.

Thats about it for now I will have another update later.

Encaitar
12-14-2006, 05:34
A potential collaborative (people from FA:TW, ME:TW, etc) Tolkien mod for M2 is under discussion over at the Chamber of Records: Numenorean Invasion (http://www.chamber-of-records.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43)

Insofar as ME:TW is concerned, we are not currently considering moving to M2, as we are focussed on delivering a mod for BI.

Dol Guldur
12-15-2006, 16:59
FATW is also not considering a port to M2TW at this time, and is working to get its latest release out for BI 1.6 (modfolder) very soon.

It is likely that due to the *enormous* amount of work involved only a combined effort will see any fruit. Over two years' of modding experience have led me to this conclusion and I would strongly advise and even discourage those interested in starting similar mods when anything but a joint effort will probably end up in failure.

hgtm
12-15-2006, 18:52
I hope so

Ciaran
12-16-2006, 13:43
Insofar as ME:TW is concerned, we are not currently considering moving to M2, as we are focussed on delivering a mod for BI.

FATW is also not considering a port to M2TW at this time, and is working to get its latest release out for BI 1.6 (modfolder) very soon.

That´s most excellent news to hear, not that I wouldn´t like to see a Middle-Earth-themed mod for M2TW, but I am half afraid that all the great work done on the RTW versions would be lost due to a system switch, which would really be a shame.

Valentine82
12-16-2006, 22:14
Please god no... Lets not waste another ton of modding talent on some stupid LOTR mod, it's been done to death, there's one for RTW and RTW is only 20 bucks now go get it.

If you want a fantasy mod for MTW that actually is unique with different races that actually play differently and have different economic types I'm all for that, but another lame Middle Earth mod, how much more of that can we stomach?

zulukiller
12-17-2006, 00:16
Would you be willing to take on a complete noob to modding as id be very intrested in playing a LOTR mod for M2:TW.

Valentine82= "it's been done to death, there's one for RTW and RTW is only 20 bucks now go get it."

Just incase you say out i dont want to buy a game just for a mod.

nameless
12-17-2006, 17:44
MTW2 would really serve as an excellent base for a LOTR mod

Cabble
12-21-2006, 23:45
I also think m2tw would be a good base for lotr and I already tried to turn at least the continent into middle earth and made a regions.tga, but I have no idea how to match it with the heights and ground_types.tga and if there any txt to be edited, just for changing the form.

RugbyGladiator
12-23-2006, 03:12
I see an oppurtunity for someone to come in and do something very simple:

Only have 2 Factions that are permanantly at war and one rebel faction. Basically than you run into the Bliss of simplicity - all the attacks from one faction will be on the other faction and visa versa. The whole game is based on just 2 factions Cutting each other to pieces.

Basically you have Gondor/Rohan/Elves etc. etc. etc. all in the "Good" faction. and all your Haradrim/Rhun/Mordor/Isenguard etc. etc. etc. in the other.

Any factions/Territories that werent directly aligned with someone can be "Rebel" factions.

I've watched a lot of Lord of the Rings Mods put into development for the total war series and theres one thing that seems to be in common with all of them.

They NEVER get completed in a timeframe that gets the public interested because every mod tries to create every race and faction individually and create a dozen variants of units for each one.

Unlike having to create a dozen units each for 10 different factions - you can have 30 different units each for 2 factions and include all your different races and sub-races amonst them.

I've worked on some WW2 strategy mods in the past and it would have been insanity to try and create a nation for everyone that was involved. instead we'd create a Romanian infantryman and a tank and have them in the german forces - rather than trying to create 15 different romanian units which are basically identical to the german units.

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

Dont start something unless you do actually have a plan and a timeframe on finishing it.

Roman_Man#3
12-30-2006, 23:57
that is some very good thinking, and i think it would be an xcellent idea. say for the free peoples, have cavalry predominatly called riders of rohan or the like, infantry men "warriors of gondor", and archers say "Elves", because that is where they all excelled. just a thought.

RugbyGladiator
12-31-2006, 03:46
You have it so certain regions can only produce unique units. You can only produce Gondor units in Gondor, Rohan in Rohan Regions etc.

You'll still have a Archer unit from each Area within your faction. But basically all your elite Cavalry comes from Rohan, but they may literally only have 2 infantry types. The Gondor regions may produce a wide range of infanrty but have to rely on bringing down cavalry from rohan.... etc etc.

It takes out the need for "backstories" as to why factions you see as allied being at war. If you have every faction seperate, you then have to come up with a backstory as to why Rohan and Gondor are cutting each other to pieces etc etc.

2 factions - You take out any need for diplomacy - they are always at war, one faction has to annihilate the other - simple as that.

I think its got potential 2 Massive factions with a massive amount of income just fighting to the death.

Ciaran
12-31-2006, 20:55
More to the point, you can always add the different factions in later add-ons, but if you got the thing up and running with two super-factions you have at least a basis to work with (and to show off, of course). I don´t know how easy making models for M2TW will be when (if!) it becomes possible, that´s one of the make-and-break points - RTW modelling is fairly easy (relatively speaking), and the various LoTR-themed mod have, if nothing else, a huge selection of unit models, what´s lacking is generally the working campaign part.

Apoc
01-01-2007, 01:23
Ciaran is absolutely correct. I have a feeling that most people believe that once you have all the models for the units, you are practically good for a release; nothing could be further from the truth. When it comes to a LotR-modification, models and skins are some of the least time-consuming aspects (although they require great artistic skill to make) - it's everything else which takes time, and especially the campaign aspect of it. This is the reason all three Tolkien mods for RTW have non-campaign releases with units, and only one have a fully working campaign release. The reason we at FATW got that camp. release out is because we had to face the facts of lessening manpower, fading interest, little community aid, etc, and either abandon the project or make something smaller than we had intended, but which we knew we could get released in a reasonable time frame.

DaLipton
01-03-2007, 15:57
Lord of the Rings mod? - Oh yeah, that mod i would really like to see in M2TW!
I have always dreamed about it...

Vereco
01-03-2007, 19:06
You have it so certain regions can only produce unique units. You can only produce Gondor units in Gondor, Rohan in Rohan Regions etc.

You'll still have a Archer unit from each Area within your faction. But basically all your elite Cavalry comes from Rohan, but they may literally only have 2 infantry types. The Gondor regions may produce a wide range of infanrty but have to rely on bringing down cavalry from rohan.... etc etc.

It takes out the need for "backstories" as to why factions you see as allied being at war. If you have every faction seperate, you then have to come up with a backstory as to why Rohan and Gondor are cutting each other to pieces etc etc.

2 factions - You take out any need for diplomacy - they are always at war, one faction has to annihilate the other - simple as that.

I think its got potential 2 Massive factions with a massive amount of income just fighting to the death.

I just had to mention what a great idea this is, Good vs. Evil and their units are decided by the territories they control, marvelous. This could extend to buildings too, I think, so a place like Helm's Deep could have the best fortifications possible available or something like that. Whether each unit has a different look depending upon who controls them would be an interesting thing to explore.

And just think of the balance that is automatically achieved with this, it's simple yet effective. I demand someone start working on this! In fact, I'm going to mess around with the idea myself right now.

RugbyGladiator
01-05-2007, 09:25
You cut out a lot of the time fiddling with Campain balancing. Which seems to have been the biggest hurdle most other LOTR mods have hit (and it only become a bigger hurdle the more more and factions you try to add)

Things like Diplomacy, faction balancing etc. all get simplified by only having two factions.

Any factions/regions that werent directly aligned with anyone can be represented by rebel regions. eg the shire may be a rebel faction, but if you take control of it, its the only region that creates hobbits.

Simplicity is bliss. You know that all the units that the "evil" faction creates are going to be used against the "good" faction and visa versa.

If you have multiple factions you end up with all these mini wars going on and for me it just loses the scope of LOTR, essentially it is a good vs evil theme.

Personally I wouldnt mind devoting some time to this if anyone is keen to try and get it off the ground.

lpsander
06-11-2007, 19:07
I really, really, really want to see a lotr mod for this game. I played the mods for rome and loved them, and im hoping there will be on for m2tw too. Even though I havent got any expierence in modding I really want to help out.:laugh4:

Rhyfelwyr
07-05-2007, 14:39
The additional 10 faction slots added since RTW would be a great bonus to any LOTR mod. Almost any minor Middle-Earth faction you could think of from the Third Age could be included. For example:

Starting Factions:

Elven Culture:

Rivendell (Noldor)
Mirkwoood (Silvan)
Lothlorien (Silvan / Nandor)
Mithlond (???)

Numenorian Culture:

Gondor
Dol Amroth
Dunedain

Northern Culture:

Rohan (Northmen)
Beornings (Northmen)
Dunharrow (Northmen)
Bree (Northmen)
Fornost (Northmen)
The Shire (Hobbits)

Dwarven Culture:

Erebor (Dwarves)
Dale (Northmen)

Evil Culture:

Mordor (Orcs)
Morgul (Orcs)
Dol Guldur (Orcs)
Isengard (Uruk-hai)
Gundabad (Goblins)
Moria (Goblins)
Angmar (Goblins)

Desert Culture:

Harad
Umbar
Khand
Rhun

Possible Emergent Factions:

Dark Numenorians
Dark Rohirrim
Dark Dwarves
Dark Elves

thebigbossnahhh
11-18-2007, 16:47
Link (http://tatw.wordpress.com/) Hope this helps?