PDA

View Full Version : Mod WIP - Rawghi Heraldry Mod 0.9 (Noble Titles are back!)

rawghi
12-13-2006, 15:53
Hi to all!
this is my first "public" mod for M2TW, here are the details:
(at the bottom of the page I posted the DL link

* RAWGHI HERALDRY MOD - v 0.9 - for Medieval 2 Total War

v 0.9
- Introducted title for GreatBritain and France Provinces
- Available only for England faction

Files Included:
- DATA\UI\ANCILLARIES\ *TGA Files for titles*
- DATA\TEXT\export_ancillaries.txt
- DATA\TEXT\TO_export_ancillaries.txt
- DATA\export_descr_ancillaries.txt
- DATA\TO_export_descr_ancillaries.txt
- DATA\export_descr_ancillary_enums.txt
- DATA\TO_export_descr_ancillary_enums.txt

the "TO_" files are txt with only the modded text,they are useful for modders to implement in their mod, if you plan to use only this mod you can delete them.

README SUMMARY

1. PURPOSE AND IDEA
2. THE MECHANISM
3. REALISM NOTE
4. SUGGESTION AND HELP

1. PURPOSE AND IDEA
This is a test version of a mod I want to develop.
The objective is to bring titles and coat of arms in game.
This mod can work alone (but you have to create your own mod folders) but I suggest to implement in one of the mods that community already relase. Feel free to implement this in you mod, only credit me if you intend to bring it to the community.

They are developed via ancillaries system, and for now I developed titles only for England and for the regions of Great Britain and France. This mod is intended to be used when the player uses the England, I haven't scripted the AI to use or transfer the titles.
For every city in game, an ancillary is created and a trigger assign it to a general (the mechanics are explained later), this general got the title and can bring the title until his death or transfer it to another general.
For now, the titles give only a bonus variable from 1 to 4 of loyalty to that character.

2. THE MECHANISM
And this is the working mechanism:

- When you click the end turn button, and a named general is inside a city or a castle, he get the title of Baron/Count/Duke of that region.

- Before assign him the ancillary (or better the tile), the trigger check if it is the Faction Leader or the Heir of the faction, if so the title is not assigned (who cares of a title when I am the King of a nation?)

- If a general has yet got a title, the new title will not be assigned, in this way a general cannot have more than one title.

- If the title (i.e. Duke of Normandy) is yet assigned, even if there are another untitled general in the city, it will not be assigned until the death of the original owner

- The titles are transferable, you have to move two general in the same town, or army, and then drag the ancillary title for one to another.

3. REALISM NOTE
This trigger limits in game bring some sort of realism, I explain better: if I am the Duke of York and I become the faction heir, or faction leader, is plausible that I will transfer my title to you, and it is plausible that we meet to do that.
The mod is not historically accurate, the title name are fictional, but realistic. You will not achieve the title of "Grand Evil of the Necromancers" but "Count of Wessex" instead.
Every title had its own heraldry, I try to find the exact herald of the cities in game, and the major part of them are realistic.
I will be very glad if you can suggest me the correct name of the titles or the correct city herald, I will implement them asap.

4. SUGGESTION AND HELP
However, this mod is at a very beta stage, I have to test it a lot and expand it to all faction, I'm glad to receive suggestion and help in the making from anyone so, who want to join the project can contact me at twcenter.net forums or via email at rawghi@gmail.com
I include a jpeg of the current titles and heraldry.

Hope you like it.
rawghi
rawghi@gmail.com

Here are the current titles:
https://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4284/rhm09cz8.jpg

And the DL link:
HERE on FileFront (http://files.filefront.com/RHM_09zip/;6350689;;/fileinfo.html)

repman
12-13-2006, 16:51
@rawghi
Very nice idea
I have a military promotion career system for northeuropean factions included in my mod Deus lo Vult 1.6:
knave -> knight -> Count -> duke -> Generallisimo (character traits)
and correlated army ancillairies: Count army I, Duke Army, General Army 1....

Using the careersystem
https://img371.imageshack.us/img371/9258/northeuropeancareersystgw1.th.jpg (https://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=northeuropeancareersystgw1.jpg)
Promotion
to get promotion from one military level to the next, you have to leave the troops and move/stay into a settlement for 2/3 turns. The actual title will switch to retire title (Former …). Then go back to the troops (minimum one infantry unit) and you are promoted on next turn
if you are promoted to a higher level than knight you get a flag (Count, Duke, Generalissimo)
character ancillaries (the flags) can be transferred between persons
if there are no more flags available no more promotion

Retirement
- if you stay longer than 1 turn in a city you get retired (Count --> former Count) and the counting of military service will stop. You can switch back into service if you move the character back into field
- a character can have only one rank trait and one of the ancillaries (you have to give away one flag to get another one -> transfer the flag between characters if they are in the same settlement or army !!!)

you can find although information on the original career system in my RTW mod BBW:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50109

So i will combine your system maybe with mine for the next release DLV 1.7
- maybe i change my title names: duke, count ?
- or the character get the title regional "Count of midlands" only if he has the military title Count ?
- i will extend although to other eastern,... factions

repman

zerathule
12-13-2006, 17:54
Hey Rawghi, nice mod idea :)
May i suggest some changes in the title names, at least for french provinces ? :)
Count of Anjou seems right. (Comte d'Anjou in french ^^)
Count of Gascony doesnt seem right to me : the Bordeaux province should be renamed to Aquitaine, and was a duchy. so Duke of Aquitaine should be better imho (Duc d'Aquitaine) (and besides Bordeaux was of really minor importance in 1080 ...)
Baron of Burgundy, you should change it to a Duchy as it was during most of the time period covered in MTWII. so Duke of Burgundy (or Duc de Bourgogne)
Duke of Provence : It should be Count of Provence. (Comte de Provence)
Viscount of Ile-de-France : i dont think it was named as such. Ile de France was actualy the only true lands belonging to the king. The title should be that of Count of Paris (Comte de Paris) as it was the only local authority besides the King.
Baron of Brittany : It was actualy a semi independant state, and was called the Duchy of Brittany, so it should be "Duke". (Duc de Bretagne)
Count of Champagne sounds ok. (even if the true local power was the Archbishop of Reims (Archeveque de Reims)
Baron of Langdoc : hmm this one is hard. I dont remember the name at this time of the province, but for sure, in toulouse was the Count of Toulouse (Comte de Toulouse).
Hope it helps in some way ^^
I'll try to find accurate links for heraldy if you want. Or proper title for the "administrator" of the City/Castle. (like as i said before the ruler of Ile de France is the king while the ruler of Paris is Count of Paris.)

rawghi
12-13-2006, 17:57
Hi Repman!
feel free to implement my system to your award mod!
I haven't hìunderstand this:

- or the character get the title regional "Count of midlands" only if he has the military title Count ?

Is the career system applied only to the player faction or even the AI handle this? Because I'm thinking to implement the titles system only for the player faction (to prevent ai problams) and I haven't understand how to give this condition to the trigger, is maybe the "FactionIsLocal" condition?

repman
12-13-2006, 17:59
I would propose the titles in their original languages:
french: Comte de, Duc de,...

or the character get the title regional "Count of midlands" only if he has the military title Count ?

If my character has reached the military level Count, only then he can get the local title Count of. Midlands...if he stays in the city a certain time period

I don't think the AI is handling my career system correct, never looked for this...no ctd's thats the most important
FactionIsLocal would be correct

repman

rawghi
12-13-2006, 18:01
@ zerathule

GREAT!!! I'm very glad to use your suggestion! I will correct them asap! It will be great even to use the titles in the correct language!

KARTLOS
12-13-2006, 18:20
like the sound of this mate, good luck with completing it for all the cities in the game!

KARTLOS
12-13-2006, 18:24
it would be good for titles to bring some command stars as well.

im not sure exactly what you get for being faction heir but i think you get some command star bonus. i would say some of the major titles should be a mildy reduced version of the faction heir in terms of the benefits it brings.

rawghi
12-13-2006, 20:16
@Repman

or the character get the title regional "Count of midlands" only if he has the military title Count ?
Ah ok great system, I think that it will be possible using different "type" of ancillary, using the HasAncType condition, what do you think?

@KARTLOS
yes I think about it, maybe we can add them on the 1.0 release

rawghi
12-13-2006, 20:19
I opened this discussion on TWcenter, that is the TW forum where I post most frequently
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1377460#post1377460

Myrddraal
12-16-2006, 15:34
This is looking good, especially if you and repman combine your ideas!

Faenaris
12-16-2006, 17:45
I wonder:

If the player captures Antwerp or Bruges (Antwerpen en Brugge), should the governor get the "Graaf van Vlaanderen" (Count of Flanders) title? The cities of Antwerp and Bruges in the timeperiod of M2TW were independent cities (I think they had Mayors), but they were part of the realm of the Count of Flanders.

So, I have a suggestion:

When player captures one of those two cities, they get the "Graaf van Vlaanderen (Count of Flanders) title. But, you can't have two counts since there is only one count. If it isn't possible, maybe you should make a title like "Burgemeester van Antwerpen" (Mayor of Antwerp) and "Burgemeester van Brugge" (Mayor of Bruges). I haven't found any heraldry of both cities yet.

Like I said, this is just a suggestion. ~:)

Myrddraal
12-16-2006, 18:19
What happens if you loose the city?

alpaca
12-16-2006, 19:42
What happens if you loose the city?
Probably nothing, you can't remove ancillaries afaik (well unless the player selects them and you use a console cheat).

Dearmad
12-17-2006, 20:58
I think good modifications to generals would be:

10% recruitment cost reduction in that province (probably not possible) where their title is. I dunno...

loyalty is already inflated in this game. I'm looking ways to LOWER it!